Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Are replacement (star) bills worth anything?

I work at a convenience store that handles alot of money, and my manager is CONVINCED that bills with a star for the last serial number are worth at least 2x the face value. I looked around for information on these bills and it turns out that they are issued when a bill has been damaged during the printing process so they are rare, something like 1 in 100,000. Are they worth anything though? My manager thinks she's going to retire off the amount of these things she has stockpiled. I have a feeling they aren't worth anything but I don't have the heart to break it to her. Whats the deal?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Quote:
In general, replacement notes aren't worth more than regular bills. However, if you find a replacement note with a particularly interesting serial number -- like 00000001 or 999999999 -- or a large number of consecutively numbered replacement notes that you keep together as a lot, you may have a collector's item on your hands.
http://money.howstuffworks.com/question703.htm
Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 PM
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing sells notes with "lucky" serial numbers, as well as some "Lone Star Notes" (printed in Fort Worth for the Dallas federal reserve bank, with a star on the end) so there's apparently some sort of market, at least for uncirculated ones.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Graphite is a great
We buy and pay a premium for star notes dated 1928, 1934, 1935. Once you hit 1950 and later, they pretty much need to be in mint condition. And stuff from the 1990's and later, we don't tend to buy at all. That's not to say that you can't find someone who will pay you something.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Star Bills

I have 23 $20 dollar bills that are stars in consecutive order. IK02189005* thru IK02189026* year 2006 Are they worth anything to anyone? I just entered them on Where's George but if they arent worth any extra I plan on spending them.

Thank you