Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM
BANNED
Secretary Spread (fact or fiction?)

I recently turned 46. In the past year I have been spending more time sitting in front of the computer. My wife tells me that my derriere is taking on the shape of the chair due to all the seat time.

Anecdotal evidence aside is there any truth to this observation? If I where on my feet all day would the same thing of happened? Isnít this posterior reformation simply part of the aging process?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 AM
From my own experience and from my limited knowledge of physiology, I'd say that if your derriere has changed shape since you started sitting around a lot, it's probably because you're accumulating fat there from lack of exercise.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 AM
From my own experience, it's probably not a good idea to google "secretary spread" for more information on this condition.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 AM
My derriere and thighs spread quite a bit (without me gaining any weight) when I started working on my graduate dissertation: I was sitting on the same chair for 16 hours on end, with one or two trips to the batroom thrown in; walking helped.

OTOH, I change shape roughly every 15 years; walking doesn't help.

If you're sitting more than you did and eating as much as you did and your legs are flabbier, then yes, your problem is the sitting.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
BANNED
Fat Accumulationg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetLegend
From my own experience and from my limited knowledge of physiology, I'd say that if your derriere has changed shape since you started sitting around a lot, it's probably because you're accumulating fat there from lack of exercise.
Thatís a possibility. However I do weigh my self every morning. If I see more than two pounds difference from my average I adjust my intake accordingly. I never let my weight fluctuate by more than plus or minus two pounds.

I admit, I am 50 pounds overweight (6í 239lbs) and have maintained this balance for nearly twenty years. I have a long torso which leads people to think that I am not as heavy as I claim. Maybe the existing fat is conforming to the shape of the chair?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Charter Member
In the tail light plant, we called it "factory [butt]." Sit-down jobs everywhere carry the same curse. Whether from lack of exercise or plain gravity, it happens. And so we have StairMasters and Buns Of Steel videos.

It is said that women in hilly country have the cutest butts. Everywhere they go, it's uphill or downhill.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_True_Again
Thatís a possibility. However I do weigh my self every morning. If I see more than two pounds difference from my average I adjust my intake accordingly. I never let my weight fluctuate by more than plus or minus two pounds.
That doesn't mean you're not getting fatter. If you are getting fatter and losing muscle in your butt due to lack of exercise, that can contribute to a wider, flatter butt that happens to look like the chair. It's coincidence, though.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 AM
BANNED
The Fat Down Below

OK I'll try and rephrase the question.

Letís say there is two of me. Identical twins if you will, Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim. During the work week Dr. Jimmy is on his feet at his post guarding the Queen. At the same time Mr. Jim is given a chair to sit in while guarding the Queen.

After work both Jimís go to the gym where they both get equal amounts of exercise. Mr. Jim works a little harder so that he burns as many calories as Dr. Jimmy did standing up. Dr. Jimmy eats a little more to compensate for standing during the day. Otherwise they both have identical diets.

Other than one sitting and the other standing during the work week everything is pretty equal in their life. At the end of a year would Mr. Jim suffer the notorious secretary spread while Dr. Jimmy butt is still relatively round?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_True_Again
OK I'll try and rephrase the question.

Letís say there is two of me. Identical twins if you will, Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim. During the work week Dr. Jimmy is on his feet at his post guarding the Queen. At the same time Mr. Jim is given a chair to sit in while guarding the Queen.

After work both Jimís go to the gym where they both get equal amounts of exercise. Mr. Jim works a little harder so that he burns as many calories as Dr. Jimmy did standing up. Dr. Jimmy eats a little more to compensate for standing during the day. Otherwise they both have identical diets.

Other than one sitting and the other standing during the work week everything is pretty equal in their life. At the end of a year would Mr. Jim suffer the notorious secretary spread while Dr. Jimmy butt is still relatively round?
I don't think the difference is between sitting and standing. I think the difference is between sitting and walking. There are few jobs which involve standing in one place all day. ( In fact, I can't think of one ) When I was thirty-five, I changed jobs. I went from a job which involved a lot of walking, to a more sedentary one. I didn't gain weight, but my butt got flatter. At forty, I was promoted and had to do a lot more walking again. Back to a rounder butt.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:58 PM
BANNED
Sitting & Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen
I don't think the difference is between sitting and standing. I think the difference is between sitting and walking. There are few jobs which involve standing in one place all day. ( In fact, I can't think of one ) When I was thirty-five, I changed jobs. I went from a job which involved a lot of walking, to a more sedentary one. I didn't gain weight, but my butt got flatter. At forty, I was promoted and had to do a lot more walking again. Back to a rounder butt.
I worked for a company that employed about 80 women. Their job was to stand or sit around a table 8 hours a day (less 50 minutes for breaks and lunch) and glue products to paper goods. Some woman chose to stand all day while others varied their positions.

Of course the main question is does sitting alone cause a fat butt?