Old 08-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Do women like pantyhose?

I've noticed it's become rarer to see women wearing pantyhose or stockings in everyday wear. On the few times I see a women wearing stockings, they also wear dress slacks. Every time I hear or read about women wearing pantyhose, they mention how much they hate it. Are there any women out there who actually enjoy wearing pantyhose? And to the women who wear stockings with dress slacks, why do you do it since you can barely notice the hose?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:08 AM
Often what you see when a woman is wearing dress slacks isn't really full pantyhose. You can get knee-high nylons too, which is what I'd guess most of them are wearing under there, because it's the top of the nylons that's as unconfortable as hell (IMHO).

Why not wear socks? Because they'd look silly in those 3-inch heels. Why not go sockless? Don't ask me, I'm usually the sockless one.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Charter Member
Pantyhose is something you wear with a skirt. Now that self-tanners have gotten so much better, in summer we can get away with not wearing pantyhose under a light skirt or dress.
That leaves us with wearing pantyhose under skirts or dresses in fall and winter, and lately, fewer and fewer women wear skirts or dresses in the colder seasons.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:33 AM
My legs are very close and rub together - I can't wear a skirt without pantyhose. Pantyhose is uncomfortable, runs easily, gets out of place, complicates bathroom runs, and you're supposed to get it in a color that somehow combines with the rest of your ensemble.

I've just told you why I never wear a skirt.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Charter Member
Nava, if you do otherwise like skirts, you could do as I did. Sew an underskirt into a trousershape. Anti-chafe, cool in summer, warm in winter, and skirts fall beautifully over it. It makes an original and muchly appreciated present as well. Or buy pre-made pettipants. (The site was a tip from missbunny)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht
Nava, if you do otherwise like skirts, you could do as I did. Sew an underskirt into a trousershape. Anti-chafe, cool in summer, warm in winter, and skirts fall beautifully over it. It makes an original and muchly appreciated present as well. Or buy pre-made pettipants. (The site was a tip from missbunny)

Also from that site: Chafe shield. WTF?

Nava, I have the same problem; it doesn't matter how skinny I am, my legs rub together. But I love skirts, so I buy them anyway and rarely wear them. I wonder if I just sucked it up and let the chafing happen if I would sort of get used to it and it wouldn't bother me. Anyone tried?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 AM
I hate 'em. Only wear pants and socks. No pantyhose, no knee highs, not ever. Awful things, no doubt invented as torture devices.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
I think that's for men. Certain sports, like cycling, or running, can thicken men's inner thigh muscles and cause chafing. Some men, just like women, just have more more body fat on their thighs. Most men use talcum powder or special products for athletes, and this garment is another possible remedy.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee

Nava, I have the same problem; it doesn't matter how skinny I am, my legs rub together. But I love skirts, so I buy them anyway and rarely wear them. I wonder if I just sucked it up and let the chafing happen if I would sort of get used to it and it wouldn't bother me. Anyone tried?
No. It gets worse. But if you are skinnyish and you don't want to wear odd garments to wear skirts, try something I learned when I was running. Bodyglide. For example, here

Looks like a roll-on deodorant, keeps chafing surfaces sliding past eachother. Because things chafe when you run that never chafed when you did ANYTHING else... and bronzed muscular gods of marathons know all about the problem.

I am sure there are competitors with similar substances... didn't happen to encounter them before the foot problem forced a stop to the running. (Alas!)
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Monistat actually put out an anti-chafing cream specificially marketed for women. That stuff's a lifesaver.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Pantyhose are the tool of the devil. I'm am a pettipant girl myself and wear them all the time. Thanks for the site, [/B]Masstricht[B]! In the winter, I usually wear cotton/lycra tights which are nowhere near as binding as pantyhose, or if the dress/skirt is long enough (I like long, full skirts and dresses), pettipants and kneehighs. Which I realize is hideous and grandma-ish but no one will ever know unless I get hit by a bus and I'm extra careful on those days! I do wear kneehighs with trousers because my feet blister easily in shoes without socks. Several years ago, I had a boss (female) who refused to let any female employee come to work without pantyhose or wear shoes without socks. She felt it was unprofessional. Other than that, she was a lovely woman. Just stuck in the dark ages.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't mind them at all. When I wore dresses, I always wore pantyhose. They cover flaws and they're stretchy and flexible, so they're not constricting for me at all.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Quote:
*looks both sides*

My problem with those is two-fold.
1) I inherited Mom's thighs.
2) She lives nearby.

A lot of my summer sleeping shirts are the tops of pajamas... she uses the bottoms as pettipants and steals any pettipants I buy!

I have one dress I wear, but generally avoid skirts. It's either that or call the cops.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 AM
I hate them, too. I don't mind stockings quite as much, and will almost always wear them. I don't wear skirts short enough to show the tops, so I wear them with skirts, too. And honestly I try to avoid stockings, too.

Pantyhose are a curse. However, I find what is called tights are not as uncomfortable. They are thicker, and very soft, and nice and warm for when I have to wear them in the winter.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't mind them. What bothers me is how often I need to replace them. That's annoying. I try to think of them as just another disposable product, but I'm still annoyed.

One thing I do like is that they do add just a little warmth. I will sometimes wear them (full length hose, not just the knee-highs) under pants for this reason. Obviously, I'm not saying that a pair of panty hose will keep you warm out of doors in the winter, but if my office is a little chilly, pantyhose under slacks can make the difference between comfortable and not.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Pantyhose are the work of the devil, and I have no truck with Satan.

They're uncomfortable, entirely too warm for summer, insufficiently warm for winter, and unfashionable as well. (Try to remember the last time you saw a picture of a woman who was wearing pantyhose that wasn't a pantyhose ad.) Oh, and anyone caught wearing them with sandals should have their right to dress themselves suspended immediately.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM
If they were more durable and less prone to running at the slightest provocation, I'd wear them more often. But they ARE a pain. A pain to put on, a pain to deal with when you have to pee, a pain to worry about overall.

I'm very, very white. Not tanned at all. And I wear skirts pretty regularly. I do not wear pantyhose EVER. If someone gets offended by my white, white legs, they can damn well look elsewhere.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. Depends which dress, which shoes, and whether I've shaved lately. I don't find them very uncomfortable, but I prefer to go without in summer. I do like tights in winter.

I have one pair of shoes that is just a little bit tight, and wearing pantyhose makes them fit better!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica
I don't mind them. What bothers me is how often I need to replace them. That's annoying. I try to think of them as just another disposable product, but I'm still annoyed.

One thing I do like is that they do add just a little warmth. I will sometimes wear them (full length hose, not just the knee-highs) under pants for this reason. Obviously, I'm not saying that a pair of panty hose will keep you warm out of doors in the winter, but if my office is a little chilly, pantyhose under slacks can make the difference between comfortable and not.

My problem as well - hate spending $4-10 for something I'll wear once before they are trashed beyond recognition. I'd rather not wear that many waistbands, but if you layer the waistbands properly, they aren't all sitting on your waist and it isn't bad (undies, hose, skirst, becomes undies at him, hose and a skirt that isn't tight).

There are always garter belts as well for those "can't stand the waistband" moments.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll wear them if I have to look really dressy, but I'm really no big fan of pantyhose! They're itchy, and always get runs.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika

Pantyhose are a curse. However, I find what is called tights are not as uncomfortable. They are thicker, and very soft, and nice and warm for when I have to wear them in the winter.

Agreed. I dislike wearing nylons (what most people think of when they see the word "pantyhose"). They tend to be itchy and either too tight, which leaves a stomach roll no matter how fit you are, or too loose. When they're too loose, you could pull them up over your bra and they'd still bag. Victoria's Secret makes low-rise ones now, but since I put runs and holes in them no matter how expensive they are, I just buy the cheap ones.

Tights, on the other hand, can be very soft and warm, and for some odd reason I don't have the sizing problems I do with nylons. Also, they're a lot easier to find in non-control top version. I refuse to wear control-top anything. Tights also come in different colors and textures, so that's fun too.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I wear thigh-highs because I am required to wear nylons at work, and I certainly wouldn't choose to wear them everyday, but I don't really mind it. It's kind of sexy, actually. I just wish they'd last longer because it's a big money eater.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Charter Member
"like," no, not really.

But I have to admit that my legs look better in hose than they do w/o hose - and I already have great legs. If it weren't for their tendency to self-destruct when you look at them funny, they wouldn't be that big of a deal. As it is, they're too expensive for the number of uses/pair.
Tights last longer, but they're itchier and harder to scratch through.
Thigh highs rarely come in a workable size, and can only really be worn under really long and really full skirts.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
I used to wear them (with control top) with pettilegs and skirts, or with pants that would leave my butt to waggle too much without a control top (rayon trousers, etc.). The only thing I liked about them was the feeling that I went the extra mile to dress up. They made me feel more formal for job interviews.

Other that than, I hate them. Mostly because to get my size and control top is at least $6 and they run the first wearing, and because they are frigging uncomfortable. And they necessitate Static Guard which smells weird.

I basically don't wear socks at all, even in New England snowstorms.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Don't like them. They're uncomfortable, and either dig in at the waist, or gradually slide down as you walk. I wear knee-highs if I have to wear something nylonish. Most of the time I were knee or thigh-high cotton socks.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
"Wear". Cripes.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
gigi, what is or are pettilegs?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Quote:
gigi, what is or are pettilegs?
Same as pettipants, a split slip undergarment. I wore these AND skirts, not one or the other as my post might imply
Old 08-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC
I've noticed it's become rarer to see women wearing pantyhose or stockings in everyday wear. On the few times I see a women wearing stockings, they also wear dress slacks. Every time I hear or read about women wearing pantyhose, they mention how much they hate it. Are there any women out there who actually enjoy wearing pantyhose? And to the women who wear stockings with dress slacks, why do you do it since you can barely notice the hose?

I don't "like" them. They're a necessity sometimes. I wear them with dresses/skirts in the fall/winter. I'm bare-legged as soon as sandals are workable. Under trousers I wear trouser socks or knee highs.

VCNJ~
Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
No. The top part always shifts downward and makes the chafing between my legs even worse than it would be with nothing, and on top of that they're really uncomfortable. Seems like anything can cause the shift- sitting down, getting up, going to the bathroom (why can't you ever get pantyhose right twice?).

And it's not like anyone would believe that my legs are tan when the rest of me is so much lighter, anyway. If my white legs bother someone, my white arms probably do, too.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
What Anne Neville said. The acrobatics involved in getting into them often take me from one end of my bedroom to the other, and it's all but impossible to duplicate the phenomenon in a public restroom.

I'll wear them for fancy things when I feel I can't get away without them. Most especially if my dress is less than mid-calf length. I do not have attractive legs. But I don't have attractive lots of things, so I say the hell with it most of the time.

I hate the fact that if I know I need to wear pantyhose for something, I have to buy two pairs--because chances are quite good that I'm going to stick my hand right through the first pair I try to put on.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
In the summer, I'd much rather wear a skirt and sandals. In cooler weather or dressier occasions I don't mind pantyhose, but only if they are the cheap, pale non-control top type. God save me from the expensive ones my mother tries to pawn off on me. I am pale, I do not need to where old lady dark tan colored stockings, thank you very much. I think black ones look bad on me as well. And after one stupendous failure with a garter belt and real stockings, I'll save those for recreational purposes.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelin
I hate the fact that if I know I need to wear pantyhose for something, I have to buy two pairs--because chances are quite good that I'm going to stick my hand right through the first pair I try to put on.
Absolutely! If I don't rip them with my fingernails, I'll rip them with my toenails...

And there's that seam that's supposed to be at the end of your toes, but never is. It either makes the bottom of your foot uncomfortable, or the top.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
And there's that seam that's supposed to be at the end of your toes, but never is. It either makes the bottom of your foot uncomfortable, or the top.
Heaven forbid it get stuck between your pinky-toe knuckle and a tight pair of shoes.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
No - I never wear them. I don't even own a pair.

If I'm wearing something really clingy I have a couple of "foundation garments" (basically super elasticy tubes that Selma Hyiak got me on to) to keep my ass jiggle at bay.

Otherwise I'm bear legs or tights, all the way.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland
(boldng mine)

You should probably shave.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland
If I had bear legs, I think I might wear the hose.

That said, I wear them to work in the winter, or when I'm dressing up. I like how the control top makes my figure look more streamlined, so when I'm wearing a more snug outfit, I prefer to wear hose. Not in the summer, though. Never in summer. Yuck.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't mind tights, but pantyhose aren't very sturdy. Like many who have posted, I can't wear a skirt or dress without them, but I rarely feel a need to wear a skirt or dress.

TMI:
SPOILER:
Since the summer I stopped wearing full hose (and therefore skirts), I've never had a yeast infection again. With hose, it was pretty much constant.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd
I think black ones look bad on me as well.
I've never found a pair of black hose that weren't crap for less than $20. Cheap black hose are streaky and uneven. If you must wear hose, and don't care to spend the $20 (and who the hell could blame you?) you're always better off with nude.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Wow, I must be lucky. Though I hate pantyhose because they're friggin' ugly as sin, I don't find them that uncomfortable. But I've probably only worn them about a dozen times in my life.

Stockings, on the other hand, are teh sexy. My back-seam fishnets get brought out pretty often.

alice_in_wonderland,
do you have a link to the brand you're talking about?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak
If I had bear legs, I think I might wear the hose.
I had to do just that at one time. When I was eleven and just starting junior high school, the privileges of growing up included permission for leg-shaving and nylon-wearing (no pantyhose invented yet). My mother told me I could wear nylons, but that I was too young to shave my legs.

E

I got teased a lot.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 PM
I do because my legs are thinnish and I think they make my legs look better. Otherwise it looks like I have two white sticks attached to clown feet.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriela
No. It gets worse. But if you are skinnyish and you don't want to wear odd garments to wear skirts, try something I learned when I was running. Bodyglide. For example, here

Looks like a roll-on deodorant, keeps chafing surfaces sliding past eachother. Because things chafe when you run that never chafed when you did ANYTHING else... and bronzed muscular gods of marathons know all about the problem.

I am sure there are competitors with similar substances... didn't happen to encounter them before the foot problem forced a stop to the running. (Alas!)

Oooo, thanks! I've ordered some. It never occurred to me that such a product existed.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Charter Member
Pantyhose are eeeeeevil. I am convinced they were invented by some sadistic, misogynistic man as a tool of oppression. I have a drawerful of them, because back when I used to wear them regularly, I would buy them whenever I saw non-hideous ones on sale. Black doesn't match everything, nude is practically never in a color that doesn't make my legs look oddly jaundiced, and then there are other colors (gray, brown, ivory, etc.) that I have bought at various times in a vain attempt to have a pair that will match whatever I am wearing in an emergency.

I can't remember the last time I had to wear a pair; lately they are for weddings and job interviews, and not even all weddings, for that matter. But I still can't bring myself to get rid of them; after all, I spent a lot of money on the darn things! I always have the urge to scratch my legs when I wear them, though they do make it much more comfortable (and less blistery) to wear dress shoes. But then there's the obvious solution; don't wear dress shoes, either! Yay for business casual workplace attire.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey folks - I'm part sasquatch, being from this part of the world - I gots me some fur...

ahem

As to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranta
alice_in_wonderland, do you have a link to the brand you're talking about?
Was it the tube type items you were wondering about, or was it another poster you were inquiring about? I do wear stockings but they're just WonderBra brand.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:58 AM
One night of the week I work with these two middle-aged black ladies, of the hat-wearing-total-matching-dressed-UP-for-church vintage. They really, honestly don't believe me when I tell them that white girls don't all wear hose to church these days. Now, when I come in in a skirt, they check my legs because they don't really, honestly believe that a lady like me would go bare-legged.

Imagine their shock when I told them that another of the librarians usually doesn't wear underwear.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Charter Member
Bah, looks like I'm the weird one again. I like pantyhose because they make my legs look pretty and I don't find them terribly uncomfortable or anything. I wear them nearly every day that I work. As long as I buy a brand with plenty of spandex, they last me quite a while.

I just don't know how to dress without them. The other day I saw a lady who was wearing a skirt and closed-toe dress shoes without hose, and she didn't look bad. On the other hand, she was only about nineteen years old...and wouldn't dress shoes without hose cause blisters and/or the ruination of the shoes?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm reminded by this thread that my wife hasn't worn pantyhose in years. I'm beginning to think they're on their way out, and that in five years you'll have to go a specialty shop to buy them. Kind of like spats.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Ammoniac
I'm reminded by this thread that my wife hasn't worn pantyhose in years. I'm beginning to think they're on their way out, and that in five years you'll have to go a specialty shop to buy them. Kind of like spats.
Oh, trust me, the black lady church set believes in pantyhose. Maybe you'll have to go to an African American beauty shop to buy them, but they're not giving them up any time soon.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm in the minority here...I like pantyhose. I wear skirts or dresses nearly everyday, and I think my pasty, flabby legs look much better in hose than out. I feel more dressed up and professional, and they give me a smoother look. Now that I've lost weight, my thighs don't rub together as much, so the hose last quite a long time...usually two weeks, and I'm opening boxes, putting away shipments, climbing ladders...I'm not sitting somewhere all lady-like. Sometimes I'll even wear pantyhose under slacks, just for the little extra bit of control. I've tried to use just a shapewear thing that only comes to the knees, but then you get that fat roll at the knees. I have no problem sliding them down and back up to go potty, and the warmth problem isn't that great...all that air circulating in a skirt keeps me cool. A friend encouraged me to try thigh-highs, but I'm too pudgy at the top of the legs for that...all the pudge then rubs together, and bare skin chafes. Plus it doesn't look all that great...the contrast between the top of the stockings and the bare flesh...only looks good on fit, thin, tan women. Plus I don't like the feel of bare feet in dress shoes.