Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Family Guy Joke...(I just didn't get it)

I was watching season 4 DVDs last night and in the episode where Cleveland and his wife split up, there is a joke about being "two wild and crazy guys" in which Peter comes in as a Conehead. I assume this is a reference to something but for the life of me I have no idea what.

Any help from the greatest message board that ever existed? Thanks in advance!

Brendon
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Its from early Saturday Night Live. A skit with Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin-two wild and crazy (Czech) guys.
Also the Coneheads were a family of cone headed aliens on SNL.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:14 AM
It's a SNL reference. The "Two Wild and Crazy Guys" were the Festrunk brothers (played by Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin). They were a couple of Czech immigrants who fancied themselves as swinging babe magnets.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Charter Member
Saturday Night Live had both the Conehead sketches with Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner; and the Festrunk Brothers sketches (two wild and crazy guys!) with Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin.

Dan Aykroyd appears to be the common factor, and maybe Peter thought one Aykroyd character was as good as any other.

I'll need to see the episode again to learn if it's any more nuanced than that.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:18 AM
I don't recall this part of this episode specifically, but the reference would be to Saturday Night Live.

Dan Ackroyd and Steve Martin created a pair of Czechoslovakian brothers whi were completely clueless swingers, and descirbed themselves as "We are two wild and crazy guys." (Heavilly accented, of course.) Since Martin was often on the show the characters were not quite regular, but recurring.

The coneheads were another SNL skit involving Dan Ackroyd as the father of an extra-terrestrial family living the normal American dream in the Suburbs. Jane Curtain played his wife and Lorraine Newman played their daughter. They were at least semi-regular characters.

Hope this helps.

On preview I see that this has already been answered, but I'm going to put my two cents in anyway.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Charter Member
Laraine Newman! Right! My bad.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Thank you so much! I remembered the Coneheads - not from SNL but from the movie. I was just not sure about Czechoslovakian guys. I loved the sketch on Family Guy and I'd like to possibly check out the SNL sketch.
Thanks guys!

Brendon
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I feel old now. :-(
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Charter Member
Wild and Crazy Guys

A couple of examples of the Coneheads
Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Big Breasted American FOXES!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy4
Saturday Night Live
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP
SNL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99
Saturday Night Live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rosewater
Saturday Night Live
Nope, you're all wrong. It's actually....

Rio by Duran Duran.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Bunny

Rio by Duran Duran.
No, it was on SNL. But only once, in 1960, for 20 minutes.

I wonder if we'll have to explain these jokes to young Dopers like this soon. I know it's mentioned in the FAQ thread, but it seems like fewer and fewer people get them.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

Rio by Duran Duran.
Heh.

SPOILER:
Shoulda spoilered that, tho.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
No, it was on SNL. But only once, in 1960, for 20 minutes.

I wonder if we'll have to explain these jokes to young Dopers like this soon. I know it's mentioned in the FAQ thread, but it seems like fewer and fewer people get them.
Yes, and some of us around here will start using the dreaded phrase, "Back in MY day...".

How cruel am I to post an inside joke in a thread about an inside joke?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
How cruel am I to post an inside joke in a thread about an inside joke?
Now THAT'S cruel. It's almost as cruel as the time everybody piled onto Wildest Bill when he inadvertently created the "GOTCHA YA!" joke...

[Flashback]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildest Bill, paraphrased, because I can't be bothered to actually search for the thread
When I die, I wanna be taxidermied in my coffin pointing my finger gun at anyone who lookos inside so it looks like I'm going "GOTCHA YA!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by the next 35 Dopers, also paraphrased
"GOTCHA YA?" What the heck does that mean? Are you stupid or something? Hey, it does have a catchy ring to it, now we think about it. Okay, we're gonna ban you now. Have a nice life, and thanks for the catchphrase!
[/Flashback]
Old 10-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
"Lookos", huh? Yikes, I better brace myself.*

*Recalling "Fucko off!"
Old 10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
1. When this board was on AOL...

2. Before you had to pay to post...

3. Hi Opal!

4. There is no 4.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Maybe I am too much of a newb to remember, but where does the "Rio" joke come from? I've seen it in a few threads now.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
I think it pre-dates me as well, but I'm pretty sure it comes from a simulpost. Probably in a "what's this song?" thread.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Similar to this thread, the original answer came 22 times in 30 seconds... it carried on for 30 more pages, just cause it was funny to re-re-re-reanswer the question in a joking manner.

... I think it was Rio. Duran Duran. (repeat enough to become a SDMB standard reply).
Old 10-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex
I feel old now. :-(
Do what I'm doing. Start getting in touch with your inner geezer.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:22 PM
SDSAB
But what if you put those swinging Czechoslovakian brothers on a treadmill?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergal
Start getting in touch with your inner geezer.
Touching a geezer? E
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I've been graped by a 1920s-style death ray! Penis will surely ensue.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Charter Member
Woo! People are answering this question like a motherfuck!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Now, the reason those guys were so wild and crazy is because they weren't circumsized. Every woman who has been with a full man has loved it, and hasn't had the wailing and thrashing around that you see in movies with men that have been altered.

JTD
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
Touching a geezer? E
Coming this fall to NBC: "Touched by a Geezer."
Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenportavenger
Maybe I am too much of a newb to remember, but where does the "Rio" joke come from? I've seen it in a few threads now.
The "Rio" joke comes from this thread.

What's truly sad is that brendon_small is familiar with the Coneheads from their awful movie, and not from any of their appearances on Saturday Night Live.

As a tangent, I would like to throw in something that I dimly remember reading in a critcal review of one of SNL's (many) lack-luster seasons: that today the show relies too much on milking a successful gag rather than trying to create new material. The article mentioned the Coneheads specifically; Akroyd and Curtain only appeared as the Coneheads only a handful of times over the show's entire run. By contrast, there were two or three times as many Spartan Cheerleaders skits.

Man, I wish I could provide a cite.