Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,064
Non-Hideous Waterproof Boots?

Once again I have been let down, pulverized, by the un-waterproofness of some "waterproof" boots I bought. I'm in Manhattan, fer corn sake, you think I could find something! I hit all the major department stores, all the boutiques, and they carry the same "water-resistant" brands. Which resist water like I resist ice cream.

I've never bought shoes online, un-tried-on, but I am desperate. Does anyone know of a brand that I can actually slog through ankle-deep puddles in and not get my feet wet? Yet that don't make me look like Granny Clampett?
#2
Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: 192.168.0.1
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
Once again I have been let down, pulverized, by the un-waterproofness of some "waterproof" boots I bought. I'm in Manhattan, fer corn sake, you think I could find something! I hit all the major department stores, all the boutiques, and they carry the same "water-resistant" brands. Which resist water like I resist ice cream.

I've never bought shoes online, un-tried-on, but I am desperate. Does anyone know of a brand that I can actually slog through ankle-deep puddles in and not get my feet wet? Yet that don't make me look like Granny Clampett?
Generally such footwear is utilitarian in nature, making it unlikely to find such things without them being big rubber affairs and unlikely to .

After all a fine young lady does not go slogging through puddles, she has the limo pull right up to the door.

Closest I could come was something like these here
#3
Old 11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Taint of creation
Posts: 33,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
Once again I have been let down, pulverized, by the un-waterproofness of some "waterproof" boots I bought. I'm in Manhattan, fer corn sake, you think I could find something! I hit all the major department stores, all the boutiques, and they carry the same "water-resistant" brands. Which resist water like I resist ice cream.

I've never bought shoes online, un-tried-on, but I am desperate. Does anyone know of a brand that I can actually slog through ankle-deep puddles in and not get my feet wet? Yet that don't make me look like Granny Clampett?
Real - true "waterproof" boots are probably going to need to be more rugged looking than you might find acceptable.

Here are some examples

Here are some outdoor women's boots, some are waterproof

This boot is probably your best compromise re good looks and waterproofing
#4
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 24,496
What about some of these? (there's 4 pages, look at all 4) They are in the "rain boots" category so surely they're good for puddle splashing. I don't think they look bad at all.

Personally, I have something like this which is pretty much your standard galoshes, only with a "woman's shape" and they are bright red Don't you think you could rock a pair of galoshes??
#5
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 36,101
I have seen Gore-tex shoes/boots that look quite spiffy. Try Sierra Trading Post or The Sportsmans Guide for excellent footwear prices, as well as eBay.
#6
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
What about some of these? (there's 4 pages, look at all 4) They are in the "rain boots" category so surely they're good for puddle splashing. I don't think they look bad at all.
OK, I think we have a winner here! Thanks, all. Overboots, I find, never last more than a few wearings before springing a leak, and those Cabelas boots were a little too, umm, Gertrude Stein for me . . .
#7
Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,218
Alternatively, leather boots with a "rubber" sole can be waterproofed. One product for this is Sno-Pruf, a good shoe or outdoor store should be able to advise other options. If you go this route, be sure to work the stuff well into the seams, especially between the sole and the upper.

It can be nice to have attractive leather boots that can step right into a puddle and stay dry inside.
#8
Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,064
What do I look like, Gepetto? I can barely tie my own shoelaces.
#9
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alaska!
Posts: 8,200
If you're just concerned with keeping your feet dry and warm, have you ever tried a good pair of waterproof socks? You can wear whichever fashionable outfit-matching shoes you want that day and not get your feet wet. Plus, being socks, it's not really important that you try them on. You can buy a good pair of Seal Skinz or something from an internet store and not worry about fit.
#10
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: was Montreal, now MD
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T
Alternatively, leather boots with a "rubber" sole can be waterproofed. One product for this is Sno-Pruf, a good shoe or outdoor store should be able to advise other options. If you go this route, be sure to work the stuff well into the seams, especially between the sole and the upper.

It can be nice to have attractive leather boots that can step right into a puddle and stay dry inside.
I use "huile de vison" for that. The literal translation is "mink oil", but I'm not sure that's what it's actually made of. It's got sort of a soft vaseline-y feel to it, and I just rub it into the boots, especially at all the seams, and let it dry. Usually I do two coats, and sometimes I do a touch-up mid-winter.

Dry happy feet all winter, and I get to wear nice boots.

Get off your lazy butt, Eve. Sometimes you gotta suffer a little for the gorgeous.
#11
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
What do I look like, Gepetto?...
Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but...


Quote:
I can barely tie my own shoelaces.
Applying the waterproofing isn't much more involved than using wax shoe polish, so some might be willing to go that route. I suspect that you will be delighted with the waterproof rubber ones you mentioned above. They do look good.
#12
Old 11-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Eve Eve is offline
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno
If you're just concerned with keeping your feet dry and warm, have you ever tried a good pair of waterproof socks? You can wear whichever fashionable outfit-matching shoes you want that day and not get your feet wet. Plus, being socks, it's not really important that you try them on. You can buy a good pair of Seal Skinz or something from an internet store and not worry about fit.
Waterproof socks? What are these waterproof socks you earthmen speak of? I could certainly wear those under a pair of disappointly unwaterproof boots . . .
#13
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
SDSAB
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 76,554
L.L. Bean, Eddie Bauer and Lands' End, all of which have online sales presences, all offer good-looking waterproof boots, IIRC.
#14
Old 11-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen
I use "huile de vison" for that. The literal translation is "mink oil", but I'm not sure that's what it's actually made of. It's got sort of a soft vaseline-y feel to it, and I just rub it into the boots, especially at all the seams, and let it dry. Usually I do two coats, and sometimes I do a touch-up mid-winter.
I'm a big fan of mink oil. Besides protecting your boots, it also does a great job of making old, scuffed-up boots look good again. (I'm still wearing the Timberlands I bought back in high school; I've had to replace the innersoles once, and I apply mink oil whenever they start looking dusty.) Personally, I'm fond of the way it darkens the leather, but some people don't care for this look.

I've got L.L. Bean hunting boots for bad weather. I purchased a little container of some sort of boot dressing the last time I was at their Freeport store. It does a nice job; unlike the mink oil, the excess doesn't have to be wiped off -- it sort of soaks in.
#15
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alaska!
Posts: 8,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
Waterproof socks? What are these waterproof socks you earthmen speak of? I could certainly wear those under a pair of disappointly unwaterproof boots . . .
http://sealskinz.com/waterproof_and_breathable.htm

They wake all-season pairs and insulated winter pairs.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: valet keyfob nomads mc apnea board starfleet enlisted ranks buckled hat coach mcguirk tattoo toasted tea cake menards vs lowes nude beach ladies broken pelvis elderly how to shoot herion 2000 honda accord side mirror glass replacement urine drug test kits walgreens excel keeps changing numbers to dates what does e 12 mean how to remove a toilet seat with plastic nuts crown royal vs maker's mark does pine sol have ammonia in it i just threw up meme how much to paint a van why can't i get a credit report rusty gas tank repair