Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Women: How often do you shave your legs?

I shaved my legs two days ago after MUCH insistence from the SO. Yes, I know my legs were pretty shaggy so he did have a point. Anyway, yesterday my legs were totally smooth without any hint of hairs. But today my legs are stubbly and they itch something fierce! So I guess I should shave every two days - but is that too often?

I greatly prefer waxing, but after the first time, the instructions say that the hair needs to be a quarter of an inch long before waxing again. That takes a while! And I want my legs to be smooth, so I've been shaving the past few years.

Is there any way to have my legs smooth all the time without having the shave every single day? It's such a pain! Maybe I'm missing out on a vital technique (e.g. not going against the grain like I have been)?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 AM
Ummm I shave whenever I wear a skirt without pantyhose....so like....once a year? maybe? I hate shaving with a passion. We won't even discuss underarms in the 3 months of the year I MIGHT wear a tanktop.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:59 AM
I rarely shave. I have really thick hair, too. It sucks. I'm a hairy American of German descent. Oh yeah, am I hairy.

I shave....every month or so during the winter (it sorta stops growing after a while, at least noticeably), and every week or so during the summer....depending on what I'm wearing. If it's a cooler summer I'll go longer and just wear pants.

I hate shaving. I do shave my armpits every two days, though - I feel, for some reason, like my deodorant isn't working if there's hair in the way. I have no idea why.

~Tasha
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Once a week at the most - I just went two weeks and the shagginess was just depressing. I suffer from leg whiskers rather than leg hair, and shaving daily causes severe ingrowns, clogged pores, and painful irritation. When I'm not living off of student loans and charity I plan to get waxed regularly, or possibly resort to electrolysis or laser treatment. I can't wait to throw the razors away!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I shave every other day. However, it depends on your skin, your blade (make sure it's sharp), your tolerance, the products you use, and possibly how long you've been doing it - since I've been doing it this way since I was a teenager, and I used to get minor skin rashes and irritation, I don't know if my skin got tougher, changed, or I just learned to do it "right". "Right" is whatever works for you, and YMWV.

I do wish someone would invent some truly permanent hair removal system, though. Then I could just go get the treatment. From the neck down, ta-da! Never shave again! Ban the blade! Heave the wax! Hurl the Nads! Trash the tweezers!

Sorry. Daydreaming.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashabot
I feel, for some reason, like my deodorant isn't working if there's hair in the way. I have no idea why.

~Tasha
I've had the same experience with deodorant and hairy underarms. No idea why either.

I usually wear t-shirts with sleeves long enough to hide the hair and in the winter, I'm a natural lady. That said, I won't expose my SO to that kind of horror so I shave my pits if I'm getting lucky. If I'm feeling charitable, I'll shave my legs but only if they're really bad. As it is now he hasn't seen me naked in nearly three weeks so I've been living in jeans. I'll shave before then though.

If I wanted smooth legs all the time, I'd have to shave every two days or so with a fresh blade each time. I have very thick dark hair because I've been shaving since I was eleven - went behind Mum's back and shaved them, when I should have listened to her and waited another year before she'd take me to get them waxed. That way, by the time I would be 25, I'd be nigh hairless on the legs. I'm also with Anastasaeon with inventing a permanent painless method of hair removal that took everything bar your eyelashes, brows and scalp hair. Especially toe hair. Yick.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Curious non-leg shaving male poking in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
I do wish someone would invent some truly permanent hair removal system, though. Then I could just go get the treatment. From the neck down, ta-da! Never shave again! Ban the blade! Heave the wax! Hurl the Nads! Trash the tweezers!
I was under the impression that both laser and electrology will do exactly that. After doing some searching, it seems that the FDA says they may claim "permanent reduction" but not "permanent removal." Still, seems pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Push Up Bra
I have very thick dark hair because I've been shaving since I was eleven - went behind Mum's back and shaved them, when I should have listened to her and waited another year before she'd take me to get them waxed. That way, by the time I would be 25, I'd be nigh hairless on the legs.
Shaving has nothing to do with having thick, dark hair. That's genetic.

From what I can search, waxing over a period of several years can reportedly reduce the density of hair in a given area. So why not start it now? What does being 12 and shaving have to do with it?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Everytime I shower, I shave my legs and under my arms. And I'm not a particularly hairy person. To be honest I could probably get away with doing it only once ever 2 weeks or so, but over the years it's developed into a routine. I do spend a lot of time in swimmers living close to a beach, and I feel kind of even more exposed, if that makes sense, knowing that i'm not completely smooth.

Having said that, I use a really good shaving oil and apply Cocoa Butter just before I go to bed to stay soft.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 AM
I tend to look at it this way: Is there a good chance someone will be stroking my legs? If not, then it can wait 'til the urge strikes me. When I'm seeing someone regularly, I usually shave daily. My hair grows quickly and stubble drives me batty.

As it is, my boyfriend and I are still doing the long-distance thing, so I've been slacking since he last was here. Armpits get done frequently, regardless of who I'm around; hair tends to hang on to odors. With my sweaty job, I don't need the extra stink.

I'm just happy most of my body hair is blonde.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 AM
I use an epilator so when the hair does grow back, it's not rough and stubbly.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Every time I shower I do the legs and underarms. It's a habit. I guess I figure that even though it's a chore, it's not all that time-consuming or laborious.
I do get the occasional bikini wax.
I swim a lot so maybe I feel the need more.
My hair is dark blonde and fairly profuse.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I don't, unless I'm dressing up for an event for someone else. The last two times I shaved were last May, when I was a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding and Easter 2005 when I was my sister's Confirmation sponsor. My armpits stay hairy as well; I use Arm and Hammer deodorant and the hair doesn't appear to get in the way.

I started not shaving because I just didn't give a damn, but now when I shave I feel very prepubescent. I really don't like the look on myself anymore.

FWIW, I still wear shorts, skirts, and tank-tops.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
In the summer, once a week -- in the winter, I go for months. Months and months and months. Even if I will be getting laid. The hair is fairly light and fine, and I use shave-minimizing lotion from the knees down (the only part I shave, even when I shave).
Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
Hurl the Nads!
I feel sure that at least one of the words in this sentence doesn't mean what I think it means...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Ferret Herder, does the epilator hurt? How often do you have to use it?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I thought that it was a standard husbandly duty to shave your wife's legs for her. I used to do it for both of my wives, they seemed to cut themselves an awful lot.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Charter Member
At least six days a week. I skip a day if I'm really tired or running late.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Twice a week in the winter, three or 4 in the summer. Same for pits.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Legs, about once every 3 or 4 days. Pits, each shower.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK
It doesn't hurt me, as long as I'm careful where I use it. Legs are fine; armpits, not so much. But it doesn't get everything, and it leaves me with an ingrown hair problem. Still, I like how long it lasts, so I use that and shave the strays. Daily or when my legs are going to be exposed in the summer, less often in the winter unless I'm seeing someone. Armpits every day, year 'round.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I have no SO this winter, so I decided to see how long the leg hair would grow. It seems to have stopped. No one is seeing it, and I am too lazy to shave. In winter my skin gets really dry anyway and shaving makes it worse. Pits get done every day. In the summer, I shave pretty much every day because with my friends, I never know when one of them will want to go swimming or lay out or whatever - gotta be prepared. Same when I have a boyfriend - every day.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder
I use an epilator so when the hair does grow back, it's not rough and stubbly.
OW. <- Last experience was with an epi-lady in the 80s and I haven't had the bravery to try it again.

I shave my legs twice a week. Hot yoga = abbreviated shorts and lots of sweat, so the leg hair would be particularly visible. Armpits are every other day, usually. The leg hair is very blonde, but underarm hair is a red shade, close to my hair colour.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
In my experience, the only way to make shaving a comfortable experience is to do it every day, and to moisturize afterwards.

So, I shave from my knees down every day, and use lotion as soon as I'm out of the shower. This way, the shave is very close and there's no itching or burning.

Underarms every day, too. Legs from the knees up about once a week. Epilate arms once a week. Wax eyebrows once every two weeks.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I quit years ago. To put it Britishly, I just can't be arsed. If I am dressing formally, I'll go ahead and do it, that might be once a year.

Yes I have a boyfriend, and no, he doesn't care.

I do my underarms when I think of it, or if I'm planning to wear a tank top.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm almost hairless (naturally) - mean, you really have to hunt on my arms to find hair, and legs are pretty well the same, however, I still shave every time I have a shower which is pretty well always every day.

It's a habit I got into a long time ago and see no reason to stop. Maybe beause I'm so hairless it doesn't cause me much trauma - I don't get ingrown hairs or anything.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask
I thought that it was a standard husbandly duty to shave your wife's legs for her. I used to do it for both of my wives, they seemed to cut themselves an awful lot.
Oh I've heard that one before!

I shave the legs and arms 1 - 3 x month, I use the gillette triple razor i got as a free sample for the man of the house. ankles and knees it glides around, makes the job much easier than a single or even a double edge. all other hairs get plucked.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Has everyone else noticed your hair growing far more slowly in winter than summer? Same for nails.

In summer, I'll do it every other day, in winter, once a week. I'm not very hairy so it's no hassle.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Legs- pretty irregularly, maybe a few times a month. I'm 1/32 Native American and have fine hair on my head, so my leg hair is fine and sparse. I don't have to shave above the knees- until I found the Dope, I wasn't aware that anyone did.

Armpits- every other day to every day. The stubble makes them itch, and shaving makes the itching go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashabot
I feel, for some reason, like my deodorant isn't working if there's hair in the way. I have no idea why.
When there's hair in your armpits, there is more surface area for sweat to sit on and evaporate from, so I could see antiperspirant or deodorant being less effective. The hair could also get in the way of getting the antiperspirant or deodorant applied evenly throughout the armpit.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Flow
Ummm I shave whenever I wear a skirt without pantyhose....so like....once a year? maybe? I hate shaving with a passion. We won't even discuss underarms in the 3 months of the year I MIGHT wear a tanktop.
I only wear long pants so the only time I would shave is if I had a job interview and had to wear a skirt. I wear short-sleeved shirts and sometimes worry about pit hair, but I usually only get around to shaving that when I think (true or not) that my deodorant is not "sticking" well.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
In the summer...maybe once a week? I have blond leg hair, so I don't worry about it too much. In the winter, pretty much never, unless I just feel like it. I have these wool slacks with lining and if I have a lot of leg hair going on sometimes I get all static-y, so sometimes I shave if I know I'm going to be wearing those pants.

Armpits, maybe every week and a half. It just feels gross to me if it gets much beyond stubble.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
I quit shaving my legs in 1996, with mr.stretch's blessing. I still wear shorts in the summer. I have redhair, so the hair is only really noticable on the front of my lower legs--I have hairy shins!

I shave my pits probably every other day because I find armpit hair disgusting.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Legs and armpits get shaved probably 2 or 3 times a week, depending on stubbliness. And I'll do them if I'm wearing anything that will show them off. I've been lazy recently, since my man's 500 miles away and I only see him once a month or so, but I try not to let things get too furry because I feel gross when I do.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I have virtually no hair on my legs. They were never very hairy, but then the hair just got finer and finer. I haven't shaved them in 10 years or more. Damn, I love my legs.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I shave my calves and armpits every other day. I used to do it every day, but a few years ago I suddenly realized it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I'm not especially hairy, but it seems to grow fast.

The leg stubble doesn't bother me much, but the armpit stubble makes me crazy.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch
I quit shaving my legs in 1996, with mr.stretch's blessing.
Mr. Neville doesn't care if I have leg hair, either (he claims not to notice). Yay for men who don't care about things like that!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I shave my armpits every shower, since I'm a bit obsessive about that, but I shave my legs when I plan to wear a skirt that day - so maybe once every week or two in the summer. Gingy can vouch for my non-shaving of legs in the winter!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I shave in the shower everyday. I wear skirts almost everyday and I dislike feeling stubbly even though my hair is fine and reedish-blond and practically invisible. But, because it's so fine, I can use the same razor for six months or more and still get a decent shave with just soap and water.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
I don't have to shave above the knees- until I found the Dope, I wasn't aware that anyone did.
Reminds me of the Golden Girls, where Rose is shocked to find out that Blanche does this:

"You do not!"
"I do too!"
"What do you think that says to a man?"
"I'm hoping it says 'Touch my leg'!"
Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Reading these posts reminds me when I decided a couple months ago to do the 'Nair' thing. Read the directions and applied it to my legs. Cool. Let's do underarms too! Applied to pitties and was standing there humming to myself, arms raised up over my head waiting for the alloted time to pass. Everything was fine at first. Then the pain. My pits were burning! Holy gods the pain was horrible! So here I am half naked, covered in Nair on various parts, scrambling to wipe the pain maker off my skin. I succeed but the burning increases! What have I done to deserve this pain?? I run into the shower, still half dressed and turn on the water, hoping to rinse away any remaining pain. It didn't work. My underarms were burning intensely and I couldn't put my arms down without pain.

At this point I'm freaking out about maybe having to go to the hospital like this. Not a happy prospect. But while I'm thinking, the burning suddenly starts subsiding. Slowly....the pain decreased until it was reduced to a dull throbbing. I was finally able to put down my arms. Turned off the shower. Dried off as well as I could and tossed that #$%@# Nair into the trash.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
My friend used Nair on her arms. I don't think she had too much pain, but with the hair all growing back at once, her arms had a lot of dark stubble. So she was forced to keeping Nairing--that's how they get you!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Bruin
Once a week at the most - I just went two weeks and the shagginess was just depressing. I suffer from leg whiskers rather than leg hair, and shaving daily causes severe ingrowns, clogged pores, and painful irritation. When I'm not living off of student loans and charity I plan to get waxed regularly, or possibly resort to electrolysis or laser treatment. I can't wait to throw the razors away!
Three words: exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!

I used to be in your shoes, and actually (due to financial limitations) waxed myself when I couldn't afford to have it done. The drawback, though, as someone said, was "saving up" enough hair to have it done again (which was a *real* drawback during bathing suit season, because I'd find myself actually planning waxings around summer holidays, when I felt I was more likely to be invited to a pool party). My husband kept asking why I didn't just shave, and finally I decided, "Screw it - I'll give it a try." I'd read at some point about exfoliation of the legs to prevent ingrowns and the like, so I went out and bought myself (Lord, hammercy) a bunch of those copper kitchen scrubbing pads and started scrubbing every day.

Lo and behold, I'm able to shave every couple of days (which is about how often I feel like it) without the problem of ingrowns and the like. I am silky smooth! (Well, OK, not right now, per se . . . )

I will say that if I were you, I'd skip the copper kitchen scrubbies and just get a Buf Puf or something. Live and learn.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Legs- pretty irregularly, maybe a few times a month. I'm 1/32 Native American and have fine hair on my head, so my leg hair is fine and sparse. I don't have to shave above the knees- until I found the Dope, I wasn't aware that anyone did.
Oh, heavens, yes - if I don't, I've got a couple of Ewoks living on the backs of my thighs.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Mr. Neville doesn't care if I have leg hair, either (he claims not to notice). Yay for men who don't care about things like that!
My husband doesn't care, either...in fact, I think he prefers it when I grow it out, because I have nasty stubble within one day of shaving.

In the winter, I wear jeans pretty much every day, so I don't shave at all unless there is some event where I will be wearing a skirt.

In the summer, I tend to only shave my entire leg if I'm planning to go swimming or wear shorts (which is rare, as I don't like to wear them to work). I do wear capris all summer, so I shave from the knees down just about every day. I am one who is just as hairy above the knees as below...and I have very dark, almost black hair that grows pretty thick, and very very pale skin, so I can't get away with not shaving pretty much every day, if people are going to see my legs at all. I have noticed this year, though, the hair is getting either finer or sparser, I'm not sure which. There just isn't as much as there used to be. Don't know if this is my age, or if being pregnant has something to do with it. I just hope it continues!

My sister, on the other hand, is blonde, and can go 2 weeks without shaving, even in the summer, the little bitch.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Quote:
I have problems using it in my armpits - those hairs are deeply rooted and they seem to only come out a couple at a time, and ever so slowly and fairly painfully. At one point I'd gotten them completely smooth and damn, I loved the complete lack of stubble (and the corresponding blue-black dots when a cut hair is at the surface but not out yet), but then I slacked off, and getting back into trying to epilate them seemed like too much effort.

I also have problems in the "bikini area" (I don't do a full pluck there, just trim it back a lot); the hairs are also thick there so there's some pain, and I seem to get a lot of ingrowns. I'm just lazy about exfoliating, I think. I went back to shaving but I hate the stubble.

I don't have problems on my legs, but note that I can dry-shave them with a regular razor without much irritation. Trying to pluck the hairs with a tweezers hurts like a bitch, but the epilator doesn't feel bad at all. Minor pain on occasion but mostly it just feels kind of scratchy. Don't expect the hair to come off with a single swish of the epilator; you have to go over spots a few times, especially if your hair is really thin (like on my thighs). If I'm dedicated about it, I just do a touch-up every week or so, skimming it over my legs fairly quickly, and feeling for any obvious hairs with my other hand as I go. It does seem to have decreased the amount of hair that grows back. My calves used to get really furry if I stopped shaving; now if I don't epilate for a few weeks, the hair is very sparsely scattered over the leg.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Quote:
I had a roommate in school that had one. I'd never even heard of one, but it sounded like a fantastic idea. She warned me that it might hurt a tiny bit if you aren't used to it, but it wasn't too bad for her.

So about 6 months ago I figured I'd buy one and give it a shot. I start inspecting it and realize it's basically a teeny machine that'll tweeze your legs for you. Oof.

While trying it, I think I said: "Ow. Ow! Son of a... owowowowowowow. Christ, she was insane! Damn! Ow! Forget this shit." Now if anything I use the regular electric-shaver attachment on the bloody thing.

Tiny torture devices, the lot of them. Apparently you do get used to it and it hurts less the more you do it, but I personally can't imagine doing it long enough to get to that point.

As for shaving above the knee, I lucked out. If anything, all I need to shave is the front of my thighs. The back is very fine light blonde hair; more luck fuzz, really
Even then, doing the front isn't necessary, but sometimes I get it in my head that I need to get rid of all of the hair.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Every day in the summer because I often go stockingless. Twice a week in winter. In wintertime, however, if I catch the glint in hubby's eye that portends amatory adventures later on, I'll shave because I feel sexier when I'm smooth.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito
Has everyone else noticed your hair growing far more slowly in winter than summer? Same for nails.

In summer, I'll do it every other day, in winter, once a week. I'm not very hairy so it's no hassle.
Does it really grow in more slowly in the winter? I've always thought so, but I wonder if I just don't care as much when I'm not wearing shorts and don't notice as much. I'm also on the once-a-week in winter, every-other-day in summer schedule. There's not much to see after two days in the summer, but if I'm going to wear shorts, I don't like the feel of any stubble at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie em
Three words: exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!
Been there - done that. Loofahs, scrubs, a nice woven washcloth, the list goes on. I'm hopeless.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Charter Member
Legs: about twice a week.
Underarms: same.

I haven't gone for a wax yet, though I have thought about it a lot.

--Cards Against Humanity FAQ/Your Dumb Questions
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't have much leg hair (only on the front of the shins and very light at that) and I'm single, so pretty much never.

I do keep my underarms shaved though (about twice a week does it), good ole "Sure" seems to work so much better.