Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 AM
What's a good "Just Because" present? Aside from flowers and candy?

This week I am planning on sending my wife a "just because" present delivered to her work. I want to send her something better than a bouquet of flowers or candy. Any suggestions of something cool and fun to send her at her office?

Edible arrangement perhaps? I dunno! HELP
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
What does she like? Mention some things she likes and then maybe folks can suggest how you could work it into a deliverable gift.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Dick in a box.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity Glomfuster
What does she like? Mention some things she likes and then maybe folks can suggest how you could work it into a deliverable gift.
"Girly" stuff. The stereotypical girly things. Bling is nice, flowery, pink, shtuff.

She also likes some rugged things...she's a voracious hiker, outdoorswoman as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM
My favorite "just because" presents are things that I have mentioned vaguely wanting (say, a new book by so-and-so) that are given to me as a surprise. It shows he listens.

She have anything like that?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
A good book! Something that caters specifically to her interests. There's nothing more flattering than receiving a random wonderful book that shows someone has been paying attention to stuff you like.

ETA: By the way, Phlosphr, you're a totally awesome husband for sending her something ''just because''!

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 03-04-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:05 PM
A book of local outdoorsy things to do (like hiking trails or somesuch).

Her favorite lotion, or some girly stuff like that.

A gift basket with goofy things in it (if she'd find it amusing). One of the best ones I ever got had stupid kids games in it (brain teasers and stuff) as well as a "spare brain" (like from this place). You may want to go less gross and more romantic, but it worked for me!

Or, frankly, a card. A real life, not e-mail but paper card. With stuff you wrote in it, and then dropped in the mail.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Anything that shows actually thought about her likes/dislikes.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlosphr
"Girly" stuff. The stereotypical girly things. Bling is nice, flowery, pink, shtuff.

She also likes some rugged things...she's a voracious hiker, outdoorswoman as well.
Ok, well then my first thought might be appropriate - one of those 'spa basket' things with maybe a gift certificate for spa treatment. If you're aiming to make her the envy of her cubicle-mates, that might do it.

I'm not much of a hikey-campy sort so others can probably help you there.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Hmmm! A good book. She loves Michael Pollan [The Botany of Desire] maybe I'll get her his new book 'Omnivor's Dilema' mixed into a basket with lotions and stuff. Thats actually a really good idea. Now how do I get it all delivered? I wonder if Borders could put something like that together and deliver it. Hmmmm....
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I think you can have Borders gift wrap stuff.

What about one of those cute collectible miniature clocks? You can get them in many themes, according to her interests. http://miniclock.com/store/allprods.php?page=1

Then she can keep it on her desk and think of you all day!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Hmmm! A good book. She loves Michael Pollan [The Botany of Desire] maybe I'll get her his new book 'Omnivor's Dilema' mixed into a basket with lotions and stuff. Thats actually a really good idea. Now how do I get it all delivered? I wonder if Borders could put something like that together and deliver it. Hmmmm....
A lot of cities have a 'basket gift' emporium whose staff will make up and deliver baskets for you. I found quite a few in my town by searching on 'gift baskets' & my city.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
A puppy is always a good thing.

StG
Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Charter Member
Just a real nice card, like from Papyrus.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I gave Michele framed photographs of her cats as a "just because" gift.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurbBook
I gave Michele framed photographs of her cats as a "just because" gift.
Now THATS! a great idea!! She is completely infatuated withn our cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I think you can have Borders gift wrap stuff.

What about one of those cute collectible miniature clocks? You can get them in many themes, according to her interests. http://miniclock.com/store/allprods.php?page=1

Then she can keep it on her desk and think of you all day!
I like the Native American ones...Thats a good idea too. Odd in a quirky sort of way..but she would likethat.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Now THATS! a great idea!! She is completely infatuated withn our cats!

I like the Native American ones...Thats a good idea too. Odd in a quirky sort of way..but she would likethat.
The reason I thought of these is because after my SIL died a couple weeks ago, the family let us pick from her mini-clock collection for mementos. I took one that is two monkeys on a seesaw. It rocks (literally)!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Books? My SiL doesn't enjoy reading and hates flying but she likes pictures of exotic places (which she'll never visit because she'd have to take a plane). So I give her picture books.

Any family member or friend who still doesn't know I'll never say "oh yuck" to a book needs to get some coffee pronto. I may recycle it, but I'll never say "oh yuck."

My brother often brings me a pair of earrings from trips. Cheap ones, not "jewelry". They're close enough to my style that I actually wear them, different enough to remember they were a present, and I now have my Paris earrings from Mom, my Paris earrings from Lilbro, my End-of-the-world earrings from Lilbro, my London earrings from Lilbro...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Charter Member
A good book is only a start, in my opinion.

The box should contain;

A really great book, a really wonderful chocolate bar/ small box of expensive chocolates,
wonderful new lounging house pyjama bottoms (something 100% cotton, no made made fibers, with a soft fuzzy top to match), in a wonderful summery print. New fuzzy socks or cute slippers to match.

All gift wrapped and including a wonderful card, with a great quotation inside, something along the lines of the importance of sacred idleness.

She's a lucky woman, I think.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 AM
As for delivery... assemble the gift and call a courier service.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Quote:
The reason I thought of these is because after my SIL died a couple weeks ago, the family let us pick from her mini-clock collection for mementos. I took one that is two monkeys on a seesaw. It rocks (literally)!
OMG! Thanks for the tip; I wasn't aware of these but I think I may have discovered Mom's next birthday present!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
UPDATE:

She got Michael Pollan's New Book, a really cool box of tea [packaged in a wooden box with flower petal infused teas] an inscribed Ode written by yours truly - inscribed in Lignum Vitae (very strong wood) for her desk and a pair of Acorn Slippers she had been wanting, the clog type ones with heavy felt and fleese in it...She mentioned this while we were shoping at REI several weeks ago - she didn't think I remembered...And to top it off her favorite bottle of wine. All wraped up in a cool basket I got from her favorite craft store.

All for no particular reason at all....

I know she's going to come home and ask what I have done...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I am a miserable gift-getter, because most of the time I have no clue what to get people, even when I ought to (have a clue).

In contrast, my girlfriend is awesome at getting gifts. The other morning I wanted some tea and was digging around in the cabinet for some black tea of any sort (with three roommates, we have a huge stash of tea, most of which, aparently, is herbal). I finally found four bags of lipton tucked away in a box of misc tea bags.

Two days later, she brought over a small 'sampler' of black teas from nowhere fancy, but it was such a nice thing to do. I never pick up on those oportunities to get someone something they want/need.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
OMG! Thanks for the tip; I wasn't aware of these but I think I may have discovered Mom's next birthday present!
Aw..cute! Is she a sheep freak? (And I mean that in the most non-bestiality way possible).

I can't find mine anywhere on line. It's all metal and the monkeys are less cartoon/more realistic. The clock is very readable, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to put the batteries in.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Quote:
UPDATE:

She got Michael Pollan's New Book, a really cool box of tea [packaged in a wooden box with flower petal infused teas] an inscribed Ode written by yours truly - inscribed in Lignum Vitae (very strong wood) for her desk and a pair of Acorn Slippers she had been wanting, the clog type ones with heavy felt and fleese in it...She mentioned this while we were shoping at REI several weeks ago - she didn't think I remembered...And to top it off her favorite bottle of wine. All wraped up in a cool basket I got from her favorite craft store.

All for no particular reason at all....

I know she's going to come home and ask what I have done...
(someone's gettin' lucky toniiiight...someone's gettin' lucky tonight...)
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Quote:
(someone's gettin' lucky toniiiight...someone's gettin' lucky tonight...)
I'm leav'in work early toniiiight!!!!!

She deserves some good deeds...she's had a rough couple months and is being a huge trooper!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Aw..cute! Is she a sheep freak? (And I mean that in the most non-bestiality way possible).
I think she enjoys barn animals. She has two of the Hamm hand puppet Burger King was giving out with Toy Story ("Oh! Don't look at me without my plug!"). And a Shaun from Wallace and Gromit. My parents just moved and the former renters left behind a lighted etagere Mom is fascinated with, as it will keep dust off her treasures. This bank/clock will be a wonderful addition.

So, Phlosphr, what did you do? j/k, that's a really nice thing to do. Especially to remember something she mentioned in passing.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Sounds as if Phlosphr did well.

I was going to suggest a note delivered to her at work that says "When you arrive home tonight, do nothing in the kitchen. Instead, change into a nice dress and await further instructions." You then take her out to dinner at a romantic restaurant where you have made reservations.