Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Why can't "Dramastically" be a word?

A few months ago the Mrs. and I were having a normal Sunday morning conversation about God, Family, a grocery list, and why I can't stand her mother. It was normal enough, I was emphasizing my points and she hers, when I said; I have been dramastically affected by X, Y, and Z.
-> was the look on my wife's face when she said: did you just say dramastically? She was laughing because even though it is not a word, she knew exactly what I was saying and what I meant by it; just as if it were a bonafide word to use in everyday speech.

So, does anyone else have a word they occcsionally use that is not really a word, but works quite well in the appropriate context? What is it?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlosphr
So, does anyone else have a word they occcsionally use that is not really a word, but works quite well in the appropriate context? What is it?
As Mr. K says, "If it came from a people's mouth, it's a word." We live by that rule. We probably have a couple dozen words that only he and I understand.

Last edited by Kalhoun; 04-03-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Does it have a meaning other than the meaning of 'dramatically'?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNew
Sure it means drastic, and dramatic all in one So dramatically drastic, I guess would be the appropriate meaning.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNew
Obviously, someone who is acting "dramastically" is really chewing up the scenery.

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 04-03-2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Charter Member
You can coin nonce words to your heart's content. The trick is to get other people to recognize them.

Sorry to have to tell you. I'm inuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericumbobulations.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
You can coin nonce words to your heart's content. The trick is to get other people to recognize them.

Sorry to have to tell you. I'm inuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericumbobulations.
Or "anaspeptic", "phrasmotic", and "pericombobulations", if we're being pernickety. (Or that's what the book of the scripts says, anyway.)
Old 04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Pericombobulations - I love it!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon
Or "anaspeptic", "phrasmotic", and "pericombobulations", if we're being pernickety. (Or that's what the book of the scripts says, anyway.)
How very cromulent of you.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
As Mr. K says, "If it came from a people's mouth, it's a word." We live by that rule. We probably have a couple dozen words that only he and I understand.
My sisters and I are like this, especially when we're all together. My husband said we have our own language. It's hilarious when I occasionally hear him use one of our words.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
This one is rather common around here, I don't know where it came from but I can't take the credit for it. Ri-[slangformalemember]-culous

I prefer ricockulous, although many of my friends like ridongculous better.

Our definitions of those would be a cross between outrageously stupid and asshole-ish all at the same time.

Words are fun.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I really don't see the point. How is 'dramatically affected' that much different from 'drastically affected'?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Dramastically invokes the image of chewing in a dramatic fashion. Or perhaps making dramatic gestures with the movements of one's jaws.

Drama, at least as used in dramatically, already implies something drastic.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Is there anything as refreshing and back-of-the-throat mucus inducing as an ice cold glass of phlemonade in the summertime? I think not.

Last edited by cmyk; 04-03-2007 at 11:33 PM.