Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 AM
BANNED
Sparkling Wiggles: Racist?

This video has been making the internet rounds of late and it seems to stir up quite a bit of controversy. It has to do with a couple of parents telling their 3 or 4-year-old daughter to say the term "Sparkling Wiggles" in a few different contexts. But the kid seems to have an interesting speech impediment.

The comments section is strongly divided. Even my friends are strongly divided. However, it's this comment that the parent made the kid say that strikes me as ubercreepy: "Get a job, sparkling wiggles." They knew what they were doing. Yep, racist cunts.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hildo
Your thoughts?
Little kiddies say the darndest things sometimes don't they? Fortunately for this child, the speech and the context (of her folks prompting her) have been recorded and now they are posted on the net, will be there forever probably.

Let's hope that when she grows up to be a big sensible girl she turns around and slaps her parents stupid for THEIR stupidity.

Yeah, why did they say "Get a job Sparkling Wiggles"? Everybody knows that The Wiggles work full time!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
It's creepy and I don't know how you don't call it racist. Sometimes kids will muff a word to sound like a dirty or offensive word, the correct thing to do is teach the proper way to say it. Posting it is pretty childish, essentially it says "we can't say the n-word but ha-ha isn't it funny when a kid does it." No, it isn't funny.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Mod Rocker
This appears to be a poll of opinions rather than a topic for actual debate.

Off to IMHO.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
The comments on that page make me weep for our future.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll set myself up for flames and say that I thought it was hilarious. Lots of kids say things that don't sound right, pisgetti, etc. That said, the mother took it too far and made it racist with her particular sentence that she fed the child and could use a good slap in the head.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
IMO this is one of those rare things that's really wrong, somewhat creepy... and yet pretty freakin' funny. (Come on, what are the odds the kid would have that particular speech defect, and how in the world did they figure it out?)

I do question the parents' wisdom in putting a controversial video of their own kid (surely they must've known it would be controversial) into the public arena, and I hope it doesn't cause her any problems later in life. I wouldn't do it with my own child, if I had one.

But speaking strictly as a consumer of viral videos, I admit that I laughed at this one. I think some people are taking it a little too seriously.

(Yeah, the comments on the page are asinine and depressing, but that's true of most comments on that site, and most comments on most sites.)
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Charter Member
Well the parents definitely knew what they were getting the child to say. I doubt the child has any idea at least not from that exercise. It is a little funny but I don't know why they felt the need to show it to the whole world.

My daughter's best friend (a 4 year Jewish boy) has roughly that same speech impediment. I wonder what I can teach him to say based on perfectly cute words?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Also discussed here.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
They make me think Idiocracy is a documentary.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta
Little kiddies say the darndest things sometimes don't they? Fortunately for this child, the speech and the context (of her folks prompting her) have been recorded and now they are posted on the net, will be there forever probably.
Let's hope that when she grows up to be a big sensible girl she turns around and slaps her parents stupid for THEIR stupidity.

Yeah, why did they say "Get a job Sparkling Wiggles"? Everybody knows that The Wiggles work full time!!!!
Yep, hope she doesn't plan on running for government office.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Worse than racist. Negligent
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 AM
BANNED
So what is it that she sounds like she's saying?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
So what is it that she sounds like she's saying?
Did you check out the vid Otto?

It sounds to me, (with a hearing disability and not being of a North American heritage myself), like the child is saying 'fucking niggers'.

And given the prompting and delight of the parents when the child parrotted back what they wanted to hear, I'm guessing it wasn't really intended to be Sparkling Wiggles somehow.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
The parents must be total white trash rednecks. I'd expect them to have the typical twangy southern accent and use poor English.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Charter Member
Yes I too agree that if my child said something to the effect of "parking niggles" I might do a double take and get a good chuckle out of it. -But to encourage this sort of behaviour is pure stupidity.

As other parents here on this board can attest, I'm sure: When a kid knows she/he can get a rise out of grown ups by saying something 'cutesy' or 'funny' said kid will KEEP ON saying it perpetually. Even at times when it might NOT be so funny. Like say at a grocery store or a doctors office etc.. where people might be present and not understand the context of what is being said.

I can remember the time I taught my kid to say "What's up fool?". At the time I thought it was pretty damned funny but then he started greeting total strangers like that and it turned out to be NOT so funny. (Well, OK, maybe it is now in retrospect)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean1975
The parents must be total white trash rednecks. I'd expect them to have the typical twangy southern accent and use poor English.
I'm sure the parents are assholes, but why respond to racism with more stereotypes? What exactly is wrong with having a twangy Southern accent anyway?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
I'm sure the parents are assholes, but why respond to racism with more stereotypes? What exactly is wrong with having a twangy Southern accent anyway?
Nothing. I'll tell you this though: My sister and I were both active in student government and other extracurricular stuff in college. We both went to school here in Tennessee. When groups travelled to other universities in the Midwest or Northeast for conferences we often had people asking us to say things just to hear our pronunciation.

Unsurprisingly, many were shocked when I and a few friends blew their asses out of the water in friendly games of Trivial Pursuit and Cranium.

Last edited by Hung Mung; 04-05-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean1975

Stereotypin' is always fun, but you can clearly hear both her parents in the video clip feeding her lines. Neither one has a remotely Southern accent, and both speak in complete sentences.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:56 PM
BANNED
I wonder, is there a way to use a speech defect to get her to say "effing crackas"?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I do not spend much time with children, so could someone fill me in on if "sparkling wiggles" is an actual thing that a child might be talking about, as in "Mommy, I want to watch the Sparkling Wiggles cartoon!" It seems like a very random thing to say in the first place.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
BANNED
Having a private laugh at a child doing that in your home is one thing- posting it on the web that is the bizarre part. I guess its similar to going up to someone and saying "Bob said you were a big fat ass"- something you want to say, but don't have the guts.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:59 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica
I do not spend much time with children, so could someone fill me in on if "sparkling wiggles" is an actual thing that a child might be talking about, as in "Mommy, I want to watch the Sparkling Wiggles cartoon!" It seems like a very random thing to say in the first place.
I am familiar with Britains beloved export The Wiggles, but have no idea where the Sparkling comes from- they're just four guys in Star Trek type costumes, singing and dancing about- I don't see anything sparkly.

I'm also pretty certain if the Wiggles themselves had originated the phrase, they would be getting massive shit for it, which they aren't.

Last edited by Wee Bairn; 04-05-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I am familiar with Britains beloved export The Wiggles, but have no idea where the Sparkling comes from- they're just four guys in Star Trek type costumes, singing and dancing about- I don't see anything sparkly.
[nitpick] The Wiggles are Australian and they wear different coloured 'skivvies', not a costume as such. [/nitpick]

And yeah, I couldn't find any reference to 'Sparkling Wiggles' on google except in relation to this kid and her freak parents.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta
[nitpick] The Wiggles are Australian and they wear different coloured 'skivvies', not a costume as such. [/nitpick]

And yeah, I couldn't find any reference to 'Sparkling Wiggles' on google except in relation to this kid and her freak parents.
seriously- thanks. I thought they were Brits for some reason.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
seriously- thanks. I thought they were Brits for some reason.

Oh, you're more than welcome to claim them for your own if you wish. I certainly don't want them.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKES
As other parents here on this board can attest, I'm sure: When a kid knows she/he can get a rise out of grown ups by saying something 'cutesy' or 'funny' said kid will KEEP ON saying it perpetually. Even at times when it might NOT be so funny. Like say at a grocery store or a doctors office etc.. where people might be present and not understand the context of what is being said.
Yeah, I thought the same thing... the parents may not find it so funny when the kid starts screaming "look at all the Sparkling Wiggles!" in the middle of—oh, let's say a Red Lobster.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok, all I have to say is OOHHH MMMYYY F'N GOD!! This is Mrs. Phlosphr, just to clarify. I was so blown away by this video that I was more than compelled to speak out about it and Mr. Phlosphr was kind enough to let me post under his user name. I am completely and utterly APPALLED at this UTUBE video. I read some of the comments that the UTube users wrote and I am afraid for what lurks out there in our country. First of all, was the 3 year old little girl adorable with her difficulty in correct pronunciation? Sure, absolutely, she's adorable and it's not her fault her speech hasn't fully developed, and she has no idea what she's really saying.

However, what INFURIATES me more than anything about this video is the complete and utter ignorance of the parents of this child. I can't BELIEVE they thought it would be a good idea to record their innocent daughter and send it out for the world to see. It is people like those parents that cause the world to be as screwed up as it currently is. It was bad enough to hear the father encouraging the daughter to say things, but when the mother piped up with her, "Say, Get a job..." it sent a chill down my spine. It tells me that these parents are clearly ignorant people who have never really stared in the face of adversity to get a feel for what it's like. I can only hope they realize the pure disgust of their actions. And all I have to say is, Karma is a bitch and I hope they get theirs. Thanks for letting me vent. By the way, I just got out of work and I'm a little frazzed, so I apologize for the bluntness.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't find this especially funny or offensive. It would be funnier if her performance wasn't intentionally provoked and no one knew that her pronounciation was going to sound like that. But exploitation aside, there's probably more offensive stuff on South Park.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
FWIW, I can't listen to the clip... Everytime it starts to play, one of my pups goes crazy! Guess he's offended, too.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Hey, I meant no harm. I am from freakin Arkansas! I have the worst kind of redneck, twangy accent I was suprised because they didn't sound like Arkansans which is what I expected. I have this misguided belief that all racists are southerns, guess not.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Super offensive, and super funny. Does the kid really have a speech impediment or is it just normal child talk?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 AM
BANNED
I'm looking forward to the technologicaly improved Youtube in 15 years when she walks out of that trailer to get into her Black boyfriend's car.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus
Super offensive, and super funny. Does the kid really have a speech impediment or is it just normal child talk?
Do they not have normal children where you live?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip
Are you saying:

"Of course that's NOT normal child talk, do they not have children where you live?"

OR

"Of course that IS normal child talk, do they not have children where you live?"

If it's the latter, I bet my 2 year old daughter can say "sparkling wiggles" a lot clearer than that kid. Of course, I'm not a mouth-breathing peabrain so I haven't tried to teach it to her, so I don't know for sure.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
There isn't enough evidence that there's racist intent; the "get a job" comment is weird, but it could be a family inside joke. As far as I know, it's normal for parents to get a giggle from their kids' mispronunciations. When the girl says something that sounds offensive, going nuts and sharing it with friends and the YouTube crowd is really, really stupid.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip
A lot of us aren't around kids very much and would have no idea what a 'normal' child talking would really sound like.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
You're not the first to weep.

As for the phrase "sparkling wiggles" itself, my guess is that the parents first noticed her mispronouncing the words separately. So when she wants to watch a Wiggles video (as many kids her age do), it sounds like "Can I watch a niggers video?", and when she uses the word "sparkling" (again, many plausible contexts where she might say that), it always sounds like "fucking". So the parents then decided it would be a good idea for her to put the words "sparkling" and "wiggles" together. Which is yet more evidence that the parents are racist.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
Are you saying:

"Of course that's NOT normal child talk, do they not have children where you live?"

OR

"Of course that IS normal child talk, do they not have children where you live?"
The former. Implying "surely you've encountered enough children in your 20-odd-howevermany years, or maybe even remember enough of your own childhood, to realize that not all kids talk like that."

I don't have children and don't spend a lot of time around them either, but unless you live a hermit's existence you're bound to overhear kids in public places, if not those of friends/co-workers.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplkid_Caterer
FWIW, I can't listen to the clip... Everytime it starts to play, one of my pups goes crazy! Guess he's offended, too.
Black Labs?

d;r
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKES
I can remember the time I taught my kid to say "What's up fool?". At the time I thought it was pretty damned funny but then he started greeting total strangers like that and it turned out to be NOT so funny. (Well, OK, maybe it is now in retrospect)
A friend of mine told me he once gave his young niece a toy rifle and taught her to point it at her parents, saying "Die, you gravy-sucking capitalist pig."

It's true that he said he did this, but I suspect embellishment.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
Black Labs?

Wigga, please.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
A friend of mine told me he once gave his young niece a toy rifle and taught her to point it at her parents, saying "Die, you gravy-sucking capitalist pig."

It's true that he said he did this, but I suspect embellishment.
That would be pretty darling, especially if she pronounced it "gwavy" and "capitawist."

Of course, if "young" means 17, it might not be quite as cute.