Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
Replacement for Adobe PageMaker?

Our company has been using Adobe PageMaker for its marketing flyers and other advertising materials. Unfortunately, PageMaker is no longer supported by Adobe and IME, it does not work under Windows Vista.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement program? Some would suggest Adobe InDesign, but that's more of a high-end program and it's outrageously expensive. FrameMaker is more suitable for manuals and other technical documentation. We could use something that's affordable yet well-suited for simple advertising flyers and brochures.
#2
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: chicago illinois, usa
Posts: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThunder
Our company has been using Adobe PageMaker for its marketing flyers and other advertising materials. Unfortunately, PageMaker is no longer supported by Adobe and IME, it does not work under Windows Vista.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement program? Some would suggest Adobe InDesign, but that's more of a high-end program and it's outrageously expensive. FrameMaker is more suitable for manuals and other technical documentation. We could use something that's affordable yet well-suited for simple advertising flyers and brochures.
Quark isn't an option? I have to use InDesign at my job, but I agree with the expense problem. Personally, I prefer to just put things together in Illustrator.
#3
Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
QuarkXPress might be an option. I'll have to do some further research, first. (Oh, and to be perfectly honest, I thought it was exclusively a Mac application. Guess I was wrong.)
#4
Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Moderator
Moderator
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 6,140
For single page docs, you could try Illustrator. If you do more than one page it'll have to be a separate file, though, which is a pain if you're dealing with flowing text. There's MS Publisher, but that's not really for professionals. Quark is more expensive than InDesign and not as good. Really, there's no replacement for InDesign (and it can open your old pagemaker docs, if that's an issue). You can get an upgrade price for Indesign CS3 for just $199 if you already have pagemaker: https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...d=UPGRADE&nr=0
#5
Old 06-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
Upgrades are available? My previous research didn't reveal that. Thanks!

I might want to use MS Publisher, as I suspect that it'd be adequate for our purposes (and you certainly can't beat the price). I haven't used it often enough to know for sure, though. Also, we only have one PageMaker license right now, which means that we can only use one InDesign upgrade version.

You mentioned that Illustrator is suitable for single-page documents. Unfortunately, I think we'll be producing more and more two-page flyers. That was my idea, so it's ultimately my fault. Sigh.
#6
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 4,605
There's a freeware open-source product called Scribus that claims to do (most of) what InDesign/Pagemaker/Quark will do. I can't vouch for it though, as I haven't used it. Maybe you could download it and play around and see if it might meet your needs.
#7
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield226
There's a freeware open-source product called Scribus that claims to do (most of) what InDesign/Pagemaker/Quark will do. I can't vouch for it though, as I haven't used it. Maybe you could download it and play around and see if it might meet your needs.
Actually, I'm looking into that right now. My main concern is whether it'll work under Vista. Some documentation states that it does, but this isn't stated consistently.
#8
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where things... "Happen"
Posts: 354
I would have to agree that you would need to use InDesign. Actually you would be better off with the whole new CS3 Suite at this point.

This would allow you to use something that would be the industy standard and has the ability to service you just as long as your PageMaker program has. Also, it will have the flexability to be useful in projects you haven't even though of yet. There's a huge number of users with vast amounts of experience who possess a knowledge base that can help you in just about any jam unlike the other programs.
#9
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: chicago illinois, usa
Posts: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt
I would have to agree that you would need to use InDesign. Actually you would be better off with the whole new CS3 Suite at this point.

This would allow you to use something that would be the industy standard and has the ability to service you just as long as your PageMaker program has. Also, it will have the flexability to be useful in projects you haven't even though of yet. There's a huge number of users with vast amounts of experience who possess a knowledge base that can help you in just about any jam unlike the other programs.
I'd agree with that. My company is going to have to upgrade to CS3 soon because we're starting to receive files that I can't open with CS2. The software is great, if expensive, and Adobe seems to be making things work together more smoothly than they used to.
#10
Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
We design and produce all the flyers and ads for our Taekwondo school using MS Publisher. We love it.
#11
Old 07-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,946
If you're just doing the occasional simple one- or two-page pieces, Publisher should do fine.

I've been laying out a business newsletter with MS Publisher for ten years. Sometime after I started, I bought PageMaker, but it was much more complicated, and I was able to do everything I needed with Publisher. Now, it has its little quirks, and I'm not doing Wired-level high-end design, but it works great for me, and as you said, the price was right!
#12
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Censored
Posts: 19,009
Go with InDesign if you use other Adobe products, the integration is seamless and you have less of a learning curve than you will with Quark.
#13
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThunder
Upgrades are available? My previous research didn't reveal that. Thanks!

I might want to use MS Publisher, as I suspect that it'd be adequate for our purposes (and you certainly can't beat the price). I haven't used it often enough to know for sure, though. Also, we only have one PageMaker license right now, which means that we can only use one InDesign upgrade version.

You mentioned that Illustrator is suitable for single-page documents. Unfortunately, I think we'll be producing more and more two-page flyers. That was my idea, so it's ultimately my fault. Sigh.
My husband, the computer geek, tells me the the 2007 version of Publisher was written specifically for XP and Vista, so that might work.

InDesign now has a CS3 version for Vista, I'm told.

Last edited by MissGypsy; 07-01-2007 at 09:27 PM.
#14
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chi NYC Berlin LA Vegas
Posts: 13,728
Another vote for InDesign...it is industry standard and has all the features and more than you will ever need.

BTW, for those who have CS3, are the differences huge from CS2?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: punta bitch sake warming indian sign polly gas adobe pagemaker replacement time warner botnet tuna and sweetcorn sailor sex nunn bush quality omeprazole cvs amca collections 6 gauge shotgun shell pick up fedex package at sort facility how to congratulate someone on sobriety can i take melatonin with alcohol rubber band ball for sale chicago file cabinet lock pick what does schedule 40 mean things remembered engraving prices old gas in lawn mower can i use duct tape as electrical tape what does a center do in football