Old 10-26-2000, 10:39 AM
BANNED
How would one say "Happy Birthday" in Hebrew (or, i suppose, Yiddish)?

A Jewish co-worker told me, after saying a few phrases to himself looking for the right one, that "Mazel Tov" would be sufficient. Drain Bead openly mocked this in conversation.

What's the scoop, my Jewish friends?

I HAVE BEEN SMOKE-FREE FOR:
Six months, two weeks, three days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 47 seconds.
8021 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,002.65.
Extra life with Drain Bead: 3 weeks, 6 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes.

I slept with a REPUBLICAN moderator!
Old 10-26-2000, 10:48 AM
Yom Huledet Sameach! (Yom = day, Huledet = "birth", Sameach = "Happy") (Yom - long "O" as in "boat". Huledet - long "U" like "oo", both "E"s are short as in "egg". Sameach - the A's are "ah", like in "father" (if pronounced by a Kennedy). That "E" should really be pronounced like "ay", but it looks ugly to write it. The "ch" at the end is that gutteral sound that doesn't exist in English. Like "Chutzpah." If you can't pronounce it, just use a "k" sound.)

And wish him also a Happy birthday from myself, CKDextHavn, IzzyR, sdimbert, and the whole SDMB Jew crew...
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 10-26-2000, 10:54 AM
Here's a little help with the pronunciation:

http://travlang.com/languages/hebrew/HAPPYBDY.AU

And another Happy Birthday wish from this Goy-Boy.