Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Quick! What goes well with angel food cake?

For no apparent reason, tonight I feel like baking. I grabbed a great angel food cake recipe off of epicurious, but now I have no idea what to put on it...

Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
There's a million good things -- my favourites are a simple lemon or orange icing, or just whipped cream, along, if you're so inclined, with whatever fruit you like.

Man, I could eat some right now.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
A sauce made from fresh strawberries or raspberries simmered in water, sugar and a splash of lemon juice.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Strawberries in cream would be my vote. Sugar the sliced strawberries liberally and stir them into heavy cream until the whole mix is light pink with slices bobbing in it, then let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so. Serve the cake in bowls, drizzled with the cream.

Try not to think about your arteries or waistline while eating it.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
If in doubt, feed it to me.

But seriously... Chopped strawberries macerated in liqueur of your choice + dollop of whipped cream is my usual choice.

Given that fresh fruit can be scarce this time of year...
Lemon curd?
Raspberry coulis?
Dried fruit compote of apricots and/or figs?
Frozen mixed berries, cooked down with a little sugar and lemon zest and cinnamon?

Angelfood is like the blank canvas of pastry, so you could do just about anything you liked, actually.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Charter Member
Lisa Scottoline.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Fruit and whipped cream.

Or, turn it into a trifle, with fruit, whipped cream, custard, and a liqueur. (I just put amaretto flavoring in my whipped cream.) Pears and raspberries work well! And you can use frozen raspberries.

Hm. Now I want trifle.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Nutella (chocalatey hazelnut spread) goes great on angel food cake.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythereia
For no apparent reason, tonight I feel like baking. I grabbed a great angel food cake recipe off of epicurious, but now I have no idea what to put on it...

Any suggestions?
Chocolate Syrup
Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
Angel food cake goes great with any topping. Hell once when I ran out of biscuits, I eat it with beef stew!!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Eagle Brand condensed milk with a splash of lemon juice, and strawberries on top. Is there any other way to eat it?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
candied and/or spiced pineapples.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Charter Member
Fresh strawberries & whipped cream.

Also, caramel fondue sauce.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Charter Member
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. A perfect angel food cake needs no adornment. Icing on it is a travesty. Maybe a little fresh fruit on the side of the plate would be acceptable.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp
A sauce made from fresh strawberries or raspberries simmered in water, sugar and a splash of lemon juice.
Or, if you're too lazy to do this (or fresh strawberries aren't in season), frozen strawberries (thawed) work just fine.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
...or, alternatively, the bachelorette gourmet version...

One package of frozen, sweetened strawberry slices, thawed, added to one tub of Cool Whip. Whizz 'round with a fork until it's mushy and pink. Generously dollop on a slice of angelfood cake. Yum.

I used to call this my grandmother's "emergency" dessert. Just throw it together and it looks like something you worked on all day. Of course, that was with a store-bought angelfood cake. Yours will be genuine gourmet!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Hot fudge is another favorite.

Jam - pretty much any kind - if you don't have fresh or frozen fruit.

Whipped cream

Dust with cocoa powder

Dip in warm ganache

Bananas heated in rum or bourbon syrup (ala bananas foster)

Ice cream

Pudding or custard (it makes a darn easy trifle).

Port wine reduction

Marscarpone cheese and lemon curd

Angel food cake is very flexible.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
1. Plain, no adornment needed.

2. Strawberries, preferably fresh, but frozen okay.

3. Anything anybody in the thread said, except chocolate. (If you want chocolate, have devil's food cake.)

4. AskNott--Lisa Scottoline? What am I missing here? I am a bit behind on my reading, but...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Reading this thread, I realize I've never had homemade angel food cake. And, based on my experience with bakery cakes, I've never cared.

I've never thought, "Damn, I wish I had me some angel food cake right now!" Bakery angel food cake is OK as a medium for the transfer of strawberries to the mouth.

I imagine bakery vs. homemade is quite a contrast.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Dulce de leche.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
BANNED
A spread of Queen Anne's Lace Jelly on a slice of angel's food cake with a garnish of strawberries and lemon quark. Simple elegeant.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Powdered sugar dusting? That way you can eat it with different fresh fruits, perhaps varying the fruit per slice? Good, fresh pineapple goes well with Angel Food cake, I think.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze
3. Anything anybody in the thread said, except chocolate. (If you want chocolate, have devil's food cake.)
Oh, no, that's like saying you might as well not have chocolate ice cream cause you can have devil's food cake. Or that you might want to skip the Dagoba chocolate, you can have devils food cake. Chocolate in all its forms needs to be consumed, including the melted forms - and angel food cake is a good transportation mechanism for many forms of melted chocolate.

(However, the chocolate does tend become the melody and the angel food cake is regulated to harmony - except with a cocoa dusting - so it isn't a good choice if you want to eat angel food cake and not chocolate. But if that is the case, you should leave any sort of fruit in syrup off as well, and stick to fresh fruit that holds up.)
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
BANNED
You could make a nice Punschtorte.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Top it with nothing and eat it with beer.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 01-21-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Reduce your Carbon Footprint: Kill yourself.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
BANNED
Truly. You could serve the angel's food cake with a maceration of fresh strawberries, bananas, pinepapples, sugar, a splash of bitters, and a glug of Guiness Stout.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckafree
Reading this thread, I realize I've never had homemade angel food cake. And, based on my experience with bakery cakes, I've never cared.

I've never thought, "Damn, I wish I had me some angel food cake right now!" Bakery angel food cake is OK as a medium for the transfer of strawberries to the mouth.

I imagine bakery vs. homemade is quite a contrast.
You know, my mom always used to make angel food cake (I think it was from scratch), and it wasn't significantly different from the bakery versions I've had. Probably the biggest difference was that the homemade one had a slightly crispy outer crust, and the bakery ones are softer from being packaged. The slightly crispy outer crust is definitely better.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
BANNED
You could do a Guiness strawberry and Banana and pineapple Foster (flame reinforce with a sprinkle of rum.) over sponge.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Creature of the Night
Strawberries and cream! Or strawberry ice cream. I like the "no sugar added" strawberry spread that I find in the jelly and jam section of the grocery store.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Charter Member
Any answer that does not result in strawberry shortcake is ludicrous... nay, criminal.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Tonight, I have achieved cake.

I whipped. I stirred. I measured. I separated egg whites and sifted the flour, and yes, I even made it without burning it in the oven.

I was trying to go for the whole layers thing, but I ended up tearing it into chunks and dipping it into whipped cream (actual cream whipped in a bowl with a mixer, not the canned stuff) with strawberries.

There's still about half left in my fridge...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper
Any answer that does not result in strawberry shortcake is ludicrous... nay, criminal.
No, no. Shortcake is an entirely different thing, not just cake with strawberries.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It was my annual birthday cake as a child, and my mom also donated one to the school cake walk, where is was snapped up for the highest dollar amount. It's a damn good looking cake.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper
Actually, what IS criminal is using any sort of cake for strawberry shortcake. Feh!

The only strawberry shortcake worth discussing is made with a homemade biscuit, still slightly warm from the oven and sprinkled with a pinch or two of demerara before baking for extra sweetness/crunch, which has been split and slathered with copious amounts of whipped cream and fresh berries.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
You know, my mom always used to make angel food cake (I think it was from scratch), and it wasn't significantly different from the bakery versions I've had. Probably the biggest difference was that the homemade one had a slightly crispy outer crust, and the bakery ones are softer from being packaged. The slightly crispy outer crust is definitely better.
I don't like store bought angel food cakes because of the packaging issue. Also, they're generally baked in plastic containers, and I don't think that creates the nice edges that a proper pan does. Also, an angel food cake is all about loft, and I find the ones in grocery store bakeries seem to shrink in the packaging.

I don't, however, find a scratch baked angel food cake to be a significant improvement over the kind you make from a boxed mix, so that's the compromise I make.