Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Ketchup on Pizza?!? and other wierd international eating habits

In Trinidad, ketchup is a typical dipping sauce for pizza. Never got around to trying it, it just sounds too gross.

Any other wierd eating habits around the world?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
More Pizza stuff.

My mom's second husband is from Tehran and his thing with pizza was thousand island dressing.

Happily, she's moved on to #3 who is from Chicago. His only weirdness that I've found is liking Spam.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePitbull
In Trinidad, ketchup is a typical dipping sauce for pizza. Never got around to trying it, it just sounds too gross.

Any other weird eating habits around the world?
I find dipping french fries in mayonnaise to be weird, but if you go around the world, you'll find all kinds of "gross" eating habits. Weird is as weird does.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:18 AM
When I visited my sister in Japan, we ordered a sausage pizza, and received a pizza with sliced Vienna sausages all over it. And, of course, ketchup squirted all over it. :: pukey smiley ::
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance
His only weirdness that I've found is liking Spam.
I can't say if I like Spam, because I've never tried it, not even once. It seems to me too much like cat food. Which is ridiculous, because I sometimes eat tuna, which is packaged like Spam. And I've eaten ants in Colombia, but I still won't eat Spam. My refusal to eat Spam is probably weirder than someone's liking Spam.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM
When visiting New Zealand I was nonplussed when I discovered that they consider canned beet (aka "beet root") a legitimate hamburger topping. I tried it and did not care for it. On the other hand, I wish that potato wedges with sour cream were more common here in Canada. Those are sheer brilliance.

A few of the British backpackers I met during that trip could not be convinced that peanut butter and jam go well together in sandwiches.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance
My mom's second husband is from Tehran and his thing with pizza was thousand island dressing.

Happily, she's moved on to #3 who is from Chicago. His only weirdness that I've found is liking Spam.
The Tehranian would do well in Louisiana and Mississippi. That, and French dressing (isn't that just ketchup and mayonnaise anyways? I'm an O&V gal, so I don't know), are quite common there.
#3 ain't that weird. He'd be happy in Hawaii, where they love the stuff.cite by the master
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Nonsense, every one knows the proper dipping sauce for pizza is ranch dressing.

And the proper dip for fries and potato wedges is ranch dressing.

The proper condement for any sandwich (especially BLT) is ranch dressing.

And the best way to get unsightly stains out of the carpet is...

...Ranch dressing.

- N8, a true hoosier for life.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
A vendor from Denmark said that his kid put ketchup on spaghetti - and since he is originally from Italy he found that to be sinful.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 AM
BANNED
My girlfriend likes to dip her PB&J in chicken noodle soup. She's from exotic Pittsburgh.

(Could a mod fix the thread title?)
Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot
I can't say if I like Spam, because I've never tried it, not even once. It seems to me too much like cat food. Which is ridiculous, because I sometimes eat tuna, which is packaged like Spam. And I've eaten ants in Colombia, but I still won't eat Spam. My refusal to eat Spam is probably weirder than someone's liking Spam.
Catfood comes out of the tin in one big solid block?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
In Dave Barry Does Japan he talks about the Japanese putti ng corn of pizza

CORN!!!

Of course, I was surprised when I ordered spaghetti in Rome, Italy, and found that, among the pasta and the sauce, it had peas.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd n8
Nonsense, every one knows the proper dipping sauce for pizza is ranch dressing.

And the proper dip for fries and potato wedges is ranch dressing.

The proper condement for any sandwich (especially BLT) is ranch dressing.

And the best way to get unsightly stains out of the carpet is...

...Ranch dressing.
Are you my wife? I just came in to mention her ways, and here it is. We go through a big bottle of ranch ever other week. No matter what we are eating, I have to put a dollop of ranch on her plate. It's madness I tell you!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Spam is not terrible. It's also not great. They'd have to sell it for way less a pound than ham to get me to buy it. Maybe about 50 cents a pound.

Ketchup on pizza isn't what I'd want, but it's still a tomato sauce, so it's not gross. In the 70's a number of fast snacks kids can make articles had ketchup for the pizza sauce on english muffin pizza or the like. Not the best tasting, but not inedible for a hungry kid.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 02-29-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Quote:
I find dipping french fries in mayonnaise to be weird, but if you go around the world, you'll find all kinds of "gross" eating habits. Weird is as weird does.
I thought this until I tried it, It's bloody good I tells ya.

The maple syrup/bacon thing that Americans indulge in, is, I feel quite disgusting
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Sheckstress enjoys corn, olives (green, not black) and a chopped egg on her pizza.

Up here, however, it's all about pizza and mayo!

When eating pizza hut in brasil, I had to get garlic, oregano, basil and salt. The sauce was nothing more than ketchup!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
Yeah, but you're from England, where they eat chip sandwiches. Good nutrition, innit?
Quote:
The maple syrup/bacon thing that Americans indulge in, is, I feel quite disgusting
I'm with you on that.

Seriously, in any country, you find some people who eat something weird. And there are also a lot of misconceptions. Many Latin Americans think that all Asians eat dog.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Quote:
I went through a phase of trying various supposed classic food items recently, and you're quite right; Spam smells pretty much exactly like catfood, and tastes pretty much as I imagine catfood would. The texture is very different, though - think a sort of slimy sponge rubber with gristly overtones, and you're nearly there. Fried, it's not quite so repulsive, but this is assuredly not a recommendation.

I baited our mousetraps with some, and while we didn't catch the mouse, he left shortly afterwards, presumably for a house with better food.

Bovril also turns out to be disgusting, and surprisingly flavourless. I gave up on this phase before long.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Wait - Papa John's Pizza in the UK supply all their pizzas with dipping sauces - one of which is ketchup. Is this just a British peculiarity?

Quote:
Yeah, but you're from England, where they eat chip sandwiches. Good nutrition, innit?
Nothing better than a chip barm, melted butter oozing down the sides.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
Are you my wife? I just came in to mention her ways, and here it is. We go through a big bottle of ranch ever other week. No matter what we are eating, I have to put a dollop of ranch on her plate. It's madness I tell you!
No but your wife and my wife may just be related.

Until I married her I never realized how many varietys of ranch dressing there are, and at one point had at least 8 different flavors in the fridge.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Quote:

I don't know so much about bacon but some nice pork sausage links swimming in maple syrup makes my mouth water.

Hell, I've had bangers before and even they would be awesome floating in maple syrup next to a couple of fluffy buttery flapjacks. Not that there was anything wrong with the chutney and smashed up turnips that came with them of course.

What is it about Americans and our aversion to eating cooked blood anyway? I've had conversations about how revolting blood pudding and sausages sound yet seen these exact same people drool over a sack of White Castles. Say sparky, you know that gooey bottom bun on the White Castle? You don't think that's just grease and onion juice do ya? And that soft and yummy greyish matter on the side of that meatloaf or home cooked hamburger? Ever wonder where that comes from anyway?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I should hope England has gotten the hang of pizza by now. But when I went there as a kid, we got served a square pizza with bland tomato sauce (no oregano, so essentially ketchup) and cheddar (!) cheese.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote:
I should hope England has gotten the hang of pizza by now. But when I went there as a kid, we got served a square pizza with bland tomato sauce (no oregano, so essentially ketchup) and cheddar (!) cheese.
Forr several years there was a restaurant in Boston/Cambridge that specialized in "British-style Cheddar Cheese Pizza". It was called Warburton's. It's gone now.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=guizot]Yeah, but you're from England, where they eat chip sandwiches. Good nutrition, innit?I'm with you on that.

Chip sandwiches?

It's Chip Butties my good fellow, butties.

And yes, it is good nutrition especially when accompanied with battered cod and mushy peas.

Innit?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Pizza with egg and cream.
Hot dog bun with fries and cole slaw stuffed inside.
Two slices of bread with a different type of bread as the filler.
Peanut butter and Smarties sandwich.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
What's really weird to me is when you order, like, olives on a pizza in Italy, where you'd think they have this pizza thing down right, the olives have pits in them! How the hell are you supposed to eat that? Pick the olives off, pit them, put them back on?

Also, the Subway in the Vienna train station put ketchup on my turkey sub. Which was suprisingly good. Especially since I had to order it, because he had no English and I had no German, by making the French noise the turkey makes. (I couldn't remember the French word for turkey, either (dindon) but it got the job done.) Glouglouglouglouglou!

And to think my mom sent me to order because "I'm sure you can talk to them, they all speak a million languages."
Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
In Holland they put an egg, sunny-side-up, on their hamburgers. And they fry them with some kind of weird onion. It's not a normal onion, that would be good (mmmm, sliders), but some bastard relative thereof.

Ketchup on cheese pizza (frozen-type) = yum
Ketchup on mac 'n cheese = yum
Ketchup on scrambled eggs = yum
Ketchup on potato chips = hum
Ketchup on those orange cheese/peanut butter crackers = yum
Ketchup and grape jelly as a bbq meatball sauce = not as bad as it sounds

Last edited by fessie; 02-29-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: thought of some more
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure foreigners would be horrified by Pump Cheese like they have at Fuddruckers. Hell, many Americans are horrified by it.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
In Dave Barry Does Japan he talks about the Japanese putti ng corn of pizza

CORN!!!

Of course, I was surprised when I ordered spaghetti in Rome, Italy, and found that, among the pasta and the sauce, it had peas.
We do that too. Corn is delicious on a pizza as I've said in another thread recently.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia
What's really weird to me is when you order, like, olives on a pizza in Italy, where you'd think they have this pizza thing down right, the olives have pits in them! How the hell are you supposed to eat that? Pick the olives off, pit them, put them back on?
Pizza as we think of it was invented and perfected in the U.S. The Italian versions can be reverse engineered as a foreign food just like everywhere else.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
My girlfriend finds it strange that we have coleslaw in sandwiches and rolls here.

Pizza here comes usually with garlic sauce.

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches do sound horrible to me.

I got tea in Spain with powdered milk in it (bleh)

Iced Tea I find strange too but love hot tea.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member
I, er, put mayo on my fries*. It's something I tried after watching Pulp Fiction, during a trip to McD's to get a Royale with Cheese.

*Technically, I dip the fries into some mayo as opposed to actually putting the mayo on a pile of fries.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal
When visiting New Zealand I was nonplussed when I discovered that they consider canned beet (aka "beet root") a legitimate hamburger topping. I tried it and did not care for it. On the other hand, I wish that potato wedges with sour cream were more common here in Canada. Those are sheer brilliance.
I had the potatoes and sour cream at a schwarma take out palce in downtown Montreal- very yummy indeed. Same place also put the standard onion, tomato, cucumber type things on the chicken sandwich, but on the lamb put these dark red beet looking strips that were repugnant.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I've had egg on a burger before. It's actually much tastier than you'd imagine, especially when said burger is also topped with cheddar cheese and bacon. Mmmmm.

The only thing mentioned so far that I'm utterly grossed out by is the chip buttie. I'm all for fries in sandwiches (in fact, a gyros sandwich ain't the same unless it's got a generous helping of greasy fries in the middle)... but JUST fries? with butter? Gag.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
My daughter is in the Peace Corps in Namibia, and their habits are much different than in the US.

They eat a lot of meat. Red meat. So much that, if you say you prefer chicken and fish, they think you're a vegetarian. The government keeps trying to support the local fishing industry but no one eats fish.

They don't eat many vegetables (it's a very dry country, and the only farming is actually ranching). They serve what veggies they get (usually canned) with mayonnaise.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophistry and Illusion
I'm pretty sure foreigners would be horrified by Pump Cheese like they have at Fuddruckers. Hell, many Americans are horrified by it.
A little bird once told me that many many people in southeast asia find the the very concept of cheese to be revolting (it's kinda just spoiled milk, isn't it?). Hopefully a Doper who actually lives in the area can confirm or deny this.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophistry and Illusion
Pump cheese is to cheese for food, as what bacon grease is to K-Y jelly for lube. The FDA should ban the word cheese from the bucket of that slop.

I always look at mayo on fries the same as sour cream on a potato.

Last edited by Harmonious Discord; 02-29-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty
Pizza as we think of it was invented and perfected in the U.S. The Italian versions can be reverse engineered as a foreign food just like everywhere else.
You'd think people would complain, though. Like, "Hey, dude, how the hell am I supposed to eat these olives?" only in Italian so it sounds sexier.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Quote:
The only thing mentioned so far that I'm utterly grossed out by is the chip buttie. I'm all for fries in sandwiches (in fact, a gyros sandwich ain't the same unless it's got a generous helping of greasy fries in the middle)... but JUST fries? with butter? Gag.
Not fries - proper chips.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I had the potatoes and sour cream at a schwarma take out palce in downtown Montreal- very yummy indeed. Same place also put the standard onion, tomato, cucumber type things on the chicken sandwich, but on the lamb put these dark red beet looking strips that were repugnant.
It was probably pickled turnip. IMHO, without it, shwarmas just aren't right.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia
...I had to order it, because he had no English and I had no German, by making the French noise the turkey makes. (I couldn't remember the French word for turkey, either (dindon) but it got the job done.) Glouglouglouglouglou!
This reminds me of when I tried to order chicken in a small town in the Czech Republic once. I didn't have a phrase book with me at the restaurant, and I couldn't get my point across, so I wound up drawing a picture of a chicken on a napkin. It got a smile out of the waitress, but there was no chicken on the menu.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePitbull

Any other wierd eating habits around the world?
In Japan, "American Style" pizza includes corn and mayonnaise.

-FrL-
Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Quote:
A little bird once told me that many many people in southeast asia find the the very concept of cheese to be revolting (it's kinda just spoiled milk, isn't it?). Hopefully a Doper who actually lives in the area can confirm or deny this.
Anthropologist Marvin Harris, in his book Good to Eat, says that Chinese and southeast Asians see drinking a glass of milk as roughly equivalent to drinking a glass of cow saliva. The Chinese don't have a tradition of drinking milk or eating dairy products, which is tied up with their general lactose intolerance, so you can understand their lack of enthusiasm.

Taboo foods generally get the "Ewwww!" treatment from the people who hold the taboo. Muslims and Jews writing about the disgustingness of pork radiate such dislike. Or ask your average American how he or she feels about eating bugs.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Mulligan
Not fries - proper chips.
Yeah, big fuck off fat chips at that.

You tell 'em Dom.

Bloody colonials
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal
A little bird once told me that many many people in southeast asia find the the very concept of cheese to be revolting (it's kinda just spoiled milk, isn't it?).
But how would they feel about gooey, runny, pumpable spoiled milk? Mmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
Pump cheese is to cheese for food, as what bacon grease is to K-Y jelly for lube.
Well, if you got all of the grit out first...
mmm...bacon-flavored genitalia...
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky
Up here, however, it's all about pizza and mayo!
When I was a kid I used to put mayonnaise on (Straw Hat) pizza. Tried it again as a teenager and didn't like it so much.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
The pizza places in Mexico give ketchup packets along with delivered pizzas, too. Also, I knew a guy there who was disgusted by peanut butter, but would slather ketchup on peanuts and eat them with a spoon.

My mom is from Hawaii, so I love spam. I also never realized how uncommon it is to eat chilli served over a bowl of rice.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
They put ketchup on pizza in India too. I was wary at first, but it turns out it's actually really good.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Isn't putting ketchup on a pizza a bit like putting ketchup on a tomato?

Or mayonnaise on an egg?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke-
This reminds me of when I tried to order chicken in a small town in the Czech Republic once. I didn't have a phrase book with me at the restaurant, and I couldn't get my point across, so I wound up drawing a picture of a chicken on a napkin. It got a smile out of the waitress, but there was no chicken on the menu.
Similar anecdote, whilst living in Hungary, my roommate and I went out to eat with some Hungarian friends. He ordered some dish that could be made from a variety of different meats and, when the dish came out and he began eating, he was curious to find out exactly what it was. So, wanting to learn the language and be self-sufficient rather than asking the Hungarians at the table for help, he calls over the waitress and asks her in his limited Hungarian, something like "mi az" (what is this?). He didn't quite understand her explanation, so she began making the sound of the animal in question: röff röff. He turns blankly to the table, and asks, "I'm eating dog?" The Hungarians bust out laughing as, apparently, röff röff is the sound pigs make in Hungarian.

Needless to say, my roommate was relieved.

(Oh, and ketchup on pizza in Hungary was not unusual, either.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.