Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
The "cartoon swear" @#$!!**@#$ Is there a specific term for this?

I have done a bit of searching for this name, term, whatever and have been unable to find it. It must have a specific term and I hope that some Doper(s) already know it or can easily find it.
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:29 AM
I can't answer that, but I always thought it'd make a great name for a comic book shop. Not sure how they'd answer their phones though.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 AM
According to this, it's called "maledicta". Other references to the swear symbols being called maledicta, though, seem to be few on the ground.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Mort Walker coined the term "maledicta," and quite a few others* for various comic strip lettering and drawing conventions. It was meant ironically, but some of the names caught on among comic artists. I wouldn't say the terms were standard, but they're probably more common than any other.

*The Wikipedia makes it unclear, but I've seem Walker's article and he did use "maledicta," too. It's from the latin for bad words; there's even a journal for the study of curse words called "Maledicta."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 03-03-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
The term I've heard used before was "Grawlix" which was also coined by Mort Walker. Same reference as previous post.

Last edited by Mike Fun; 03-03-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping there was a more definitive term.
Heck, there's even a term, tmesis for putting a word within another word as in unbloodybelievable.
Since this is "the Dope", I'll bet the majority of the members probably knew that anyway.
Well, thanks for the research.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_meister
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping there was a more definitive term.
Heck, there's even a term, tmesis for putting a word within another word as in unbloodybelievable.
Since this is "the Dope", I'll bet the majority of the members probably knew that anyway.
Actually, that's called an infix.

i.e. unfuckingbelievable,
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_meister
I have done a bit of searching for this name, term, whatever and have been unable to find it. It must have a specific term and I hope that some Doper(s) already know it or can easily find it.
Thanks.
Ironically, it's called the shitfuckasscunt.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
samclem, to be more specific, those are examples of an Expletive Infixation.
As the article states, these could be considered a type of tmesis (as I incorrectly stated), but it does not meet the strictest definition of that term, in that the altered word must be a compound word.

Thanks for the clarification.