Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Charter Member
Question about UK Passport dimensions

I would like to purchase a passport case from a UK retailer, but before I do, I am trying to find out if my US passport will fit inside it.
This case in case you're wondering.

US passports are 9 cm x 12.5 cm (3 1/2 in x 4 7/8 in).

How close is this to the UK passport dimensions? Anyone have one handy they could measure for me?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Charter Member
The UK passport is 87mm x 124mm x 3mm (4mm at the bend). Pretty much the same size.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
UK ones are exactly the same. At least mine is.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Charter Member
Thank you both! This makes me very happy. Now I can have my spiffy rigid passport case.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 AM
As far as I know, most all countries have standardized on size B7 paper for their passports. (Opened up it's a size B6, of course.)

Metric paper sizes. It's one thing those lousy frogs did right.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Intermittently active
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo
Metric paper sizes. It's one thing those lousy frogs did right.
*nitpick* Frog? I regret I have to underline that the A, B, C series of paper formats are a German invention. They are based on the metric system, which was dreamt up by the French, but the paper formats (developed from the principles that for each size, the proportion of the sides is 1:√2; that the area of the sheet is reduced by 50 % with each step; and that the A4 format has an area of one square meter) are something we came up with, as Cecil acknowledges.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitte
*nitpick* Frog? I regret I have to underline that the A, B, C series of paper formats are a German invention. They are based on the metric system, which was dreamt up by the French, but the paper formats (developed from the principles that for each size, the proportion of the sides is 1:√2; that the area of the sheet is reduced by 50 % with each step; and that the A4 format has an area of one square meter) are something we came up with, as Cecil acknowledges.
This is great news! Now I can go on hating the French and loving Metric paper!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitte
*nitpick*
the A4 format has an area of one square meter
Further nitpick: A0 is a square metre; A4, at 210 297 mm, is one sixteenth of a square metre.

Last edited by Giles; 07-02-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Intermittently active
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles
Further nitpick: A0 is a square metre; A4, at 210 297 mm, is one sixteenth of a square metre.
You got me (actually I was aware of that, I just mistyped - A4 is the standard format for letters and the like, a square meter would be quite big for that).