Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 PM
BANNED
Is "Muldoon" texas slang, and what does it mean?

This military officer (now a major) back at the academy would call us 'muldoons' if he was being pejorative -- but i couldn't find its exact meaning or etymology on urban dictionary.

He was from texas

Can anyone from Texas or thereabouts confirm this usage, or was it just idiosyncratic?

(He did NOT say 'poltroons' which of course means coward)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs
This military officer (now a major) back at the academy would call us 'muldoons' if he was being pejorative -- but i couldn't find its exact meaning or etymology on urban dictionary.
What period of time would this be?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Never heard of it. Was it maybe the name of a character from a tv show or something?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
It seems that muldoon is a town in Texas.

http://texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Mu...ldoonTexas.htm
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Hmm. Reminds me of Bugs Bunny saying "What a maroon!" Wouldn't surprise me if it's something he just made up himself, perhaps subconsciously influenced by Bugs.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 AM
BANNED
Grew up in Texas until I was 35, never heard it.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T
Hmm. Reminds me of Bugs Bunny saying "What a maroon!"
I always interpreted that as meaning 'moron', but in a broadcast-safe way.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:35 AM
A posting on the Linguist List indicates that muldoon was at one time American slang for a policeman.

Quote:
What brought Matsell down, ironically in a town where the police have long been associated affectionately with the Irish community (not for nothing do the slang terms 'shamus', 'shamrock' and 'muldoon' all mean policeman), was the accusation that he allowed too many Irish immigrants to enter the force.
BTW it's a fascinating post, concerning an ex New York City Poilce Commissioner called George Washington Matsell, who turned lexicographer and published a glossary of thieves' slang, Vocabulum, 1859.

"Experience has taught me that any man engaged in police business cannot excel without understanding the rogues' language." He has a point.

How the term wound up being used in Texas for a dolt I have no idea.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 07-21-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailboy
Was it maybe the name of a character from a tv show or something?
An early sitcom called Car 54, Where Are You featured two bumbling cops named Toody and Muldoon.

Last edited by Xema; 07-21-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
In the book Wiseguy, Henry Hill claims that Paul Vario referred to stolen credit cards as muldoons and used to say, "Whiskey tastes best on a muldoon".

Also, I have lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard anyone call anyone a muldoon.

FWIW,
Rob