Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Supplier for 7.5x54 French ammo that cycles a MAS 49/56?

Ages ago when I had a C&R FFL, I bought a factor reconditioned MAS 49/56. Unfortunately the ammo I bought for it will not cycle the action, effectively making it a bolt action rifle. IIRC, they had to beef up the ammo from that used in the bolt action MAS 36's because of this, but I have not been able to find a supplier that specifies that it will cycle the 49/56.

Anyone have one of these and know where I can get some decent ammo? I'd like to get it out and run some rounds through it.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Prvi Partizan seems to make some. I have no idea if it will cycle, but a box of 20 seems to be about $15 so it might be worth a try.

Cheapest I found with a quick search. It's $11.59 here if you get a C&R again and send it to them.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. Your link didn't work, as I'm not a registered dealer with them, but I found it by going to their main page and searching from there. They have it in 139 grain and 150 grain, so hopefully the 150 grain will have enough power.

Do you need a license of any kind now to buy ammo through the mail? Is that just to get the pricing you quoted? I've bought it without the license being on file before, but it's been quite a few years.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry about the link. You need a FFL 03 or 01 to get the price, but otherwise you shouldn't need a license. You might need to sign in person for the package though. Some places won't ship to certain areas, but I don't think Vermont is one of those.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
If you are using non mil-spec ammo you risk having a slam-fire (multiple rounds firing with one trigger pull) due to the cartridge having a softer primer than what the rifle was originally meant to use. You should try to find a replacement firing pin made to modern specifications that will eliminate this problem.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
If you are using non mil-spec ammo you risk having a slam-fire (multiple rounds firing with one trigger pull) due to the cartridge having a softer primer than what the rifle was originally meant to use. You should try to find a replacement firing pin made to modern specifications that will eliminate this problem.
Thanks, I've heard of that happening with these. I'll only load a couple rounds the first few times I use the new ammo to check it out, and get the lighter pin if I need it.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofnone
Do you need a license of any kind now to buy ammo through the mail? Is that just to get the pricing you quoted? I've bought it without the license being on file before, but it's been quite a few years.
There is no federal requirement for a license to purchase mail-order ammo (per the 1986 Firearm Owner's Protection Act). I believe some states do require a license or prohibit it altogether but I seriously doubt Vermont does.

Most vendors do require proof of age (ie a photocopy of your driver's license) and is supposed to be shipped as requiring an adult signature.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirundo82
Most vendors do require proof of age (ie a photocopy of your driver's license) and is supposed to be shipped as requiring an adult signature.
Heh, the last time I bought ammo via mail order, I thought it was supposed to require an adult signature too. But that didn't stop UPS from just leaving the box (prominently labeled "400 RIFLE CARTRIDGES") right at the end of my driveway.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Potato
Heh, the last time I bought ammo via mail order, I thought it was supposed to require an adult signature too. But that didn't stop UPS from just leaving the box (prominently labeled "400 RIFLE CARTRIDGES") right at the end of my driveway.
They did the same with a few of my firearm orders when I was living in a suburban neighborhood in Burlinton, VT. Once was a Brazilian copy of the M1911, and once was a Mosin-nagant rifle (both with ammo in the same box). Though they didn't specify what was in them, boxes were prominently labeled "adult signiture required," "ORM-D," and "Century International Arms."