Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Does Sambuca Go "Bad"?

I bought some Sambuca about a year ago. I am the most moderate of drinkers--about 4 glasses of some kind of alcohol a year--but sambuca has always had a burn or a bite to it upon first sip.

I am drinking some now (on the rocks, as is my preference) and nothing--no burn, no bit, hardly no taste.

Does sambuca lose its flavor over time? (It doesn't make sense to me, but why else does it taste so funny?)

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Was it tightly capped? Alcohol can evaporate quite quickly in a warm environment.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Yes, it was. It does have some flavor, but not that eye wincing bite I know of old.

I think I was stupid and put too much ice in the drink and since I didn't start drinking it right away, I now think that it is just dilute sambuca.

I will slink away now...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Charter Member
Next time try it straight up with 3 coffee beans floating on top.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I did forget the coffee beans this time. But I can't drink any liquor straight up.

Yes, I'm a wimp.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I was going to ask if you had teenagers in the house. When my friends and I first started drinking we would water down our parents alcohol.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
When does samubca get good?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
When does samubca get good?
In the same vein, "Does Sambuca go "bad"?" No. It is bad.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
Next time try it straight up with 3 coffee beans floating on top.
My mom insists on 7 coffee beans, because of the 7 hills of Rome or something. Anyways, put the beans, and set it on fire for a short while, does wonders to the coffee flavor (don't let it burn all the way, or you won't have any alcohol left)
Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I say set fire to it, suck it up quickly through a straw and as you get to the end have someone pour cold Bailey's Irish Cream in the glass. Huzzah!

I've never actually had Sambuca with ice in it before: usually people have it as a shot or as a heavy duty cocktail mixer. Dilution never occured to me.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Doesn't Sambuca go opaque (and unpretty) with water?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
In the same vein, "Does Sambuca go "bad"?" No. It is bad.
In the words of John Pinette, "It didn't go bad, it never went good!"
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Does Sambuca Go "Bad"?

Yes,
When he breaks up with Heather Locklear and then hooks up wit that bimbo Denise Rich...

(wait...what?)