Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Conyers, GA, USA
Posts: 1,351
Pink Eye Transfered by flatulence?

My roommate has this crazy idea that you can transfer Pink Eye by a "bare-ass fart on a pillow". I don't believe that this is possible and I've tried telling him, but he believes the movie he heard it from more then me. Now, I haven't been able to find a reputable cite that disproves or agrees with this hypothesis, so I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable or is better at googling then me could get an answer.


Thanks
#2
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 23,830
That idea is from the movie Knocked Up, btw. I don't know the answer but I'm pretty sure that's where your roommate got the idea.
#3
Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,292
I just want to say that that specific part is the most disgusting part of that movie, and it ruined it for me. It would have been a good movie if it hadn't resorted to that totally, totally, hideously disgusting scene. With every movie he's in, Seth Rogen becomes two things - fatter, and more disgusting. In five years or so, I'm willing to bet that he plays Jabba the Hutt in a remake of Return of the Jedi.
#4
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 3,654
Now, Watering eyes caused by flatulence.........
#5
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
My roommate has this crazy idea that you can transfer Pink Eye by a "bare-ass fart on a pillow". I don't believe that this is possible and I've tried telling him, but he believes the movie he heard it from more then me. Now, I haven't been able to find a reputable cite that disproves or agrees with this hypothesis, so I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable or is better at googling then me could get an answer.
Viral conjunctivitis (pinkeye) can indeed be caused by contact with fecal matter, among other things.

I'm pretty sure that it can't be caused by a farted-on pillow. You'd need direct pillow-to-anus contact.
#6
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Conyers, GA, USA
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Viral conjunctivitis (pinkeye) can indeed be caused by contact with fecal matter, among other things.

I'm pretty sure that it can't be caused by a farted-on pillow. You'd need direct pillow-to-anus contact.
I looked at the site you linked too, and I did not see anything about the virus living in the intestinal tract. The only things I saw about the route of infection is someone already having pink eye, or an upper respiratory tract infection. So, is the virus part of our normal intestinal flora?
#7
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
I just want to say that that specific part is the most disgusting part of that movie, and it ruined it for me. It would have been a good movie if it hadn't resorted to that totally, totally, hideously disgusting scene.
Really? I'm not a big fan of fart humor and wouldn't say that it was a fart joke, as much as a joke about the sort of immature idiots who would fart on each others pillows as a joke. And it led to a really great joke later with the lap dancer - "Now that's how you get pink-eye!"
#8
Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,292
Different strokes, I guess. I can handle the most over the top SEX humor out there, but have always been really turned off by gross-out stuff involving piss, shit and farts. I wish that stuff didn't even exist at all in real life, so I really don't want to see jokes about it in movies.
#9
Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,267
I hesitate to ask how this is an issue, even. Are you and your roommate in the practice of bare-ass farting on each other's pillows?
#10
Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 3,069
I pretty sure that's how you get stink eye.
#11
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 6,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophistry and Illusion View Post
I hesitate to ask how this is an issue, even. Are you and your roommate in the practice of bare-ass farting on each other's pillows?
Really! If you have bare assed people farting on your pillow, pink eye is the least of your concerns.
#12
Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 13,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
I just want to say that that specific part is the most disgusting part of that movie, and it ruined it for me. It would have been a good movie if it hadn't resorted to that totally, totally, hideously disgusting scene. With every movie he's in, Seth Rogen becomes two things - fatter, and more disgusting. In five years or so, I'm willing to bet that he plays Jabba the Hutt in a remake of Return of the Jedi.
He's supposedly slimming down and getting into shape to play "The Green Hornet."
#13
Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New England
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Viral conjunctivitis (pinkeye) can indeed be caused by contact with fecal matter, among other things.

I'm pretty sure that it can't be caused by a farted-on pillow. You'd need direct pillow-to-anus contact.
I believe the OP specified that it had to be a bare-assed fart, which to me implies PTAC. I can't picture someone going to the trouble of dropping trou, squatting down and then not making full contact. In fact, it seems more likely the person would sort of grind it home, if you know what I mean. Skidmarks might even ensue, though that could be a giveaway.

Sorry, Argent Towers
#14
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
I looked at the site you linked too, and I did not see anything about the virus living in the intestinal tract. The only things I saw about the route of infection is someone already having pink eye, or an upper respiratory tract infection. So, is the virus part of our normal intestinal flora?
That part I don't know. AFAIK, our normal complement of intestinal flora are all bacteria. I don't think there are any beneficial viruses, although there are probably many benign ones.
#15
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 925
Adenovirus and enterovirus, both of which cause pinkeye, replicate in the gut and can be spread by fecal-oral or fecal-mucus-membrane routes. However, they are not part of the normal gut flora. Adenovirus causes more GI symptoms than enteroviruses, which tend to cause symptoms in other systems like the heart or brain.

Last edited by brossa; 10-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.
#16
Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Own Private Iowa
Posts: 15,380
Stay the hell away from Intestinal Flora. That chyk is baaaaad news.
#17
Old 10-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
What if it was a zombie that did the farting huh? What then smart guy?
#18
Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
What if it was a zombie that did the farting huh? What then smart guy?
Zombies are allergic to pillows, silly.
#19
Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperelastic View Post
I believe the OP specified that it had to be a bare-assed fart, which to me implies PTAC.
You know, of the many phrases that need handy abbreviations, I wouldn't have guessed 'pillow to anus contact' to be on the list.

Learn new things every day.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: txtag placement switzerland initials lotus sanitizing system roll nickels voodoo ebooks nose tingling corp yard enforced method acting jewess offensive bugsy meaning mexican funeral song define chamber pot bones puns quiznos subs commercial japanese baseball fights teenage vs teenaged best police albums taste cocaine orange pus high insteps broadcast signal microwave string cheese the truth.com cottages names meaty smell modern plate armor whats the vig huge ass japanese message pathfinder atheist gift tonsil stones reddit the numbers racket zinc coffin prozac od zz aaa pokeberry edible slapping someone with a fish where to buy strawberry juice how to write a check to yourself for deposit art garfunkel net worth 2015 why do hotdogs come in packages of 10 getting a tattoo on forearm an enigma wrapped in a paradox total recall eyes popping does fedex deliver to mailbox songs with long instrumental intros new brakes and rotors smoking hair clipper oil walmart how to join plywood sheets abbott and costello susquehanna hat company auto auction eastern region carfax saint bernard german shepherd when did datsun change to nissan touch of gray reviews can you pick up your package from usps how to catch someone falling does pickle juice go bad tell it like it is meaning 3 wheel bike with child seat in front why is salt added to butter how to make an anti static wrist strap cocaine use during shanda's pregnancy damaged her developing fetus. the cocaine was a(n) unlimited mileage car rentals enterprise make it hard for me hot water burn scars strep test kit cvs restaurant like boston market why was ww1 a stalemate helium in car tires