Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
What's hot about men's shoulders?

Apparently it's a "hotspot", and that broad shoulders are attractive? Is it a fitness indicator?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
It's... manly. Broad, muscular shoulders are very attractive to me, and I don't even care all that much about guys being super buff. But a good set of shoulders sends a signal that this is a man--strong, grown, ready and able to carry me from a burning building, or cradle a kitten or infant. They are inviting to lean against while I'm being held, or bite when I'm being f... you know.

I'd say it's a fitness indicator, yes. And a nice one.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
There's somewhat of a contradiction between appearance and reality. The square shouldered "Hercules" seems to be the ideal but the guy with the sloped shoulders is the guy you have to watch out for. The sloped shoulders, in truth are a tip-off that the guy may be REALLY strong. Guys like Gordie Howe and a lot of NFL offensive linemen have sloped shoulders.

Of course, I'm not talking about the wimps that have no muscle development. But if you are going to pick out the really strong guy based on appearance, look for the sloped shoulders.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
When I think of those "sloped" shoulders, I think of an overbuilt guy with a big muscular neck. Not attractive to me.
In my own head, I use the words "hangar shoulders" when I think of a man's shoulders I find attractive, thinking of the profile shape of the clear plastic retail hangars with the metal rack hook. Broad, straight, and strong; but not with the extra muscle that makes him look brutish. A guy with the hangar shoulders, I want to use them to climb up and hang on!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Then us narrow-shouldered guys are doomed, since the only way to get bigger shoulders comes with bigger traps, ie. sloped shoulders.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus View Post
Apparently it's a "hotspot", and that broad shoulders are attractive? Is it a fitness indicator?
That, and a maleness indicator. Just as men tend to find slender necks, wide hips and small chins attractive.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
That, and a maleness indicator. Just as men tend to find slender necks, wide hips and small chins big tits attractive.
Fixed your typo for you....
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Whilst we're on the subject, why the hell are abs attractive? They don't even do anything!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatiprimus View Post
Whilst we're on the subject, why the hell are abs attractive? They don't even do anything!
They indicate a very developed pelvic-motion capability.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxylon View Post
Then us narrow-shouldered guys are doomed, since the only way to get bigger shoulders comes with bigger traps, ie. sloped shoulders.
That's kind of the point. One with broader shoulders can put more muscle on his frame than one with more narrow shoulders.

A bit IMHO, but I think most guys that go to the gym don't spend nearly enough time on shoulder development. A lot of guys just work biceps and chest, which is quite silly. A stronger back will allow you to work your biceps harder, and stronger triceps allows you to work your chest harder. OTOH, I dedicate one day a week to just work shoulders. They're what connects your chest and back to your biceps and triceps, so getting them strong allows you to get your biceps and chest bigger and stronger, as well.

Quote:
This is quite the incorrect statement. Abs do everything. There's literally nothing physical that abs don't help you with. Evolutionarily speaking, for instance, running, throwing a spear, picking berries... I could go on and on, but a strong core is essential for a competitive athlete (and analogously a man living off the earth) to maintain.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
This is quite the incorrect statement. Abs do everything.
I concede they do if you're trying to get laid.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
That's the beauty of it!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Quote:
I concede they do if you're trying to get laid.
I know you're being silly, but you're wrong.

They do help in getting laid, though, you're right about that.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Quote:
That, and a maleness indicator. Just as men tend to find slender necks, wide hips and small chins attractive.
Yep. There's no reason for us to find secondary sex characteristics attractive except for the fact that they are secondary sex characteristics.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Quote:
I know you're being silly, but you're wrong.

They do help in getting laid, though, you're right about that.
You've just said I was wrong and right in the same sentence -

All joking aside, the points you make about abs being both a sign of and assistance to core strength are correct, I hadn't really thought about that. It's just I find myself wondering when I'm drooling over a picture of some guy's six pack why precisely a few bumps on his stomach are so attractive, and I can't really figure it out (that said an erect penis isn't exactly pretty but it's incredibly attractive).
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartydog View Post
There's somewhat of a contradiction between appearance and reality. The square shouldered "Hercules" seems to be the ideal but the guy with the sloped shoulders is the guy you have to watch out for. The sloped shoulders, in truth are a tip-off that the guy may be REALLY strong. Guys like Gordie Howe and a lot of NFL offensive linemen have sloped shoulders.

Of course, I'm not talking about the wimps that have no muscle development. But if you are going to pick out the really strong guy based on appearance, look for the sloped shoulders.
Are you sure you're not thinking of guys with overdeveloped traps? Like this guy?

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-16-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
Quote:
That, and a maleness indicator. Just as men tend to find slender necks, wide hips and small chins big tits attractive.
Please don't do this.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator

Last edited by Gfactor; 10-16-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Quote:
You've just said I was wrong and right in the same sentence -
I'm saying you're conceding for the wrong reason.
Quote:
All joking aside, the points you make about abs being both a sign of and assistance to core strength are correct, I hadn't really thought about that. It's just I find myself wondering when I'm drooling over a picture of some guy's six pack why precisely a few bumps on his stomach are so attractive, and I can't really figure it out (that said an erect penis isn't exactly pretty but it's incredibly attractive).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a guy, right? Assuming so for the purposes of this post, it never dawned on me that the same things heterosexual humans find attractive in the opposite sex to ensure reproductive success are the same things homosexual humans find attractive in the same sex. This may be quite a bit off topic, but that leads a lot of credence to the school of thought that homosexuality is genetic and innate, rather than something that is chosen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of guys with overdeveloped traps? Like this guy?
Traps are generally considered to be part of the shoulders. Also, that guys lats are a lot more impressive than his traps.

Last edited by Santo Rugger; 10-16-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Traps are generally considered to be part of the shoulders.
I don't argue that. But in my experience the term "sloped shoulders" generally refers to someone who, for want of a better description, can't stand up straight rather than someone with a huge Brahma-bull muscle piled up on top of his scapulas.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-16-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM
This thread belongs in In My Humble Opinion. I'll move it there from General Questions.

Gfactor
General Questions Moderator
Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
:snort:

Mmmmm, shoulders.....
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Quote:
This is quite the incorrect statement. Abs do everything. There's literally nothing physical that abs don't help you with. Evolutionarily speaking, for instance, running, throwing a spear, picking berries...
drinking Coca-Cola...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
drinking Coca-Cola...

...there's nothing physically demanding...

Although, technically, if one were to be standing up and lift a 12 oz. can in front of them, a very small amount of ab contraction is necessary to prevent the body from bending over at the waist.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote:

...there's nothing physically demanding...

Although, technically, if one were to be standing up and lift a 12 oz. can in front of them, a very small amount of ab contraction is necessary to prevent the body from bending over at the waist.
sorry, it was a classical reference.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Quote:
I'm saying you're conceding for the wrong reason.
No I wasn't, as I said joking aside I agree with you As you say abs indicate well developed core body strength but also show a low body fat ratio as well.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a guy, right? Assuming so for the purposes of this post, it never dawned on me that the same things heterosexual humans find attractive in the opposite sex to ensure reproductive success are the same things homosexual humans find attractive in the same sex. This may be quite a bit off topic, but that leads a lot of credence to the school of thought that homosexuality is genetic and innate, rather than something that is chosen.
Yes I'm a guy and yes I'm gay, and I've considered that point too. Clearly for me a man having a body that demonstrates he has enough strength to defend me when I'm nursing our young doesn't really correlate, yet I still find those things attractive. The thing that's really odd is enjoying watching things like anal sex, why do I enjoy this? What part of sexual/reproductive desire has made me want to see that? I don't know, I just do.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Quote:
If that's what you think, then you're doing it wrong.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ashtar View Post
If that's what you think, then you're doing it wrong.
I've fucked guys with abs, they really DON'T do anything apart from look nice.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Traps are generally considered to be part of the shoulders. Also, that guy's lats are a lot more impressive than his traps.
He's even more triangular than I am, and that's saying something.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Starting to feel pretty good about myself.

I have very broad shoulders.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I've fucked guys with abs, they really DON'T do anything apart from look nice.
And what, pray tell, do piercing blue eyes and long, flowing hair do? The statement was that they are attractive. For most people, that means they look nice.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-16-2008 at 05:07 PM.