Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Whovians: Are Billie Piper and Catherine Tate supposed to be attractive?

Because really, they are both rather plain. Shapeless and plain. I mean, I realized as a preteen that, based on the "beautiful" women on The Saint and Secret Agent, I should not expect much from British TV, but really, this is too much.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Sith Mod
Shapeless? Really?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I can see where Billie Piper could be seen as plain, in a British sort of way, but I find her unbelievably sexy. I'm not quite sure what it is about her, so I suppose this isn't a good answer for you.

I haven't watched the Catherine Tate episodes yet.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't know whether they were both supposed to be attractive in terms of the series, but I fiond Billie Piper attractive. Even more so in her Belle du Jour role.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggins View Post
I'm not quite sure what it is about her, so I suppose this isn't a good answer for you.
Actually, I understand that. There have been women that made me feel like that.

Last edited by dropzone; 11-12-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Billie Piper is hot. Catherine Tate, not so much.
How do you feel about Freema Agyeman? She gets top marks too, especially in that impractical-yet-quite-fetching black leather UNIT get-up.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Geek View Post
How do you feel about Freema Agyeman?
I fancy myself a man of good taste, so of course she's a knockout.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
I forgot to mention, Catherine Tate not so attractive, but Freema, very attractive.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Freema > Billie > Catherine, but I'd still bang them all, given the opportunity.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Charter Member
I haven't gotten to either of the others, but yes, Rose is lovely. Maybe not an absolute beauty queen, but... golden hair, fresh-faced girl next door features, what's not to be attracted to?

Obligatory reference to 'Girl in the fireplace' and the moment where Billie is tied up on the table by the repair droids, shapely bosom heaving and all. (Even in the commentary David and Sophia were laughing and pointing out what's basically transparent fanservice)

Last edited by chrisk; 11-12-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: corrected 'rose if lovely'
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Geek View Post
Billie Piper is hot. Catherine Tate, not so much.
How do you feel about Freema Agyeman? She gets top marks too, especially in that impractical-yet-quite-fetching black leather UNIT get-up.
Martha is smokin' hot: I'd place Sally Sparrow at the top of my doabilty list though - fwoar! I liked Billie Piper before she lost weight: she had that kind of dishevelled slutty hotness that made you feel that a couple of drinks and you'd be in with a shot.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh, Billie...

Catherine doesn't do much for me though. Billie on the other hand...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissorjack View Post
Martha is smokin' hot: I'd place Sally Sparrow at the top of my doabilty list though - fwoar! I liked Billie Piper before she lost weight: she had that kind of dishevelled slutty hotness that made you feel that a couple of drinks and you'd be in with a shot.
You sir make a good point. Can I give you money now?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Because really, they are both rather plain. Shapeless and plain.
This might be true of the Shrieking Harpy Bride, but Billie Piper? You need your eyes checked. She's sex on toast.

Freema was a bit of alright, too, but Billie was just...fit. Yeah, definitely fit.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote:
I'd place Sally Sparrow at the top of my doabilty list though - fwoar!
Oh, absolutely! I thought she, well, Carey Mulligan, had a shot at being a Companion. Little did I know that they were planning to tie the poor Doctor to another Jackie Tyler.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
It's a shame that people seem to think that physical attributes is the be-all and end-all of attractiveness. If that's so important, you're going to be very disappointed in life.

The companions are attractive for the same reason why any woman is attractive: their personalities. Donna was an exception -- she was supposed to start out as abrasive and shallow,* but she grew to get much more depth as she had her horizons opened. That's the real tragedy of how she left the show.

She was also supposed to be a friend, not a potential lover.

*The type of person who would judge another on attractiveness, actually.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
*The type of person who would judge another on attractiveness, actually.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

I'm not judging them as Companions. I am happy to call Rose the greatest of them all, even judged against Sarah Jane and Romana, who were MY Companions. I'm giving Donna a chance--I'm only two eps in and am enjoying watching her grow. And the Doctor needs a Mate more than a mate. I just don't find her physically attractive. That and I found Tate's "Am I bovvered?" far more annoying than funny, so I was predisposed against her.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
BANNED
I always had a soft spot for Katy Manning's Jo Grant: miniskirted early 70's uber-totty. I can't search for it now, being at work, but if you do a Google image search for "Katy Manning Naked Dalek" {Warning: NSFW!} you'll get an idea of why...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Billie Piper is pretty hot in a sort of pouty Brittish kind of way. She's supposed to be a regular middle class teenager (even though she looks almost 30), not an extra from Gossip Girl or The O.C. And she looks a little chubby in the show sometimes.

I was going to say Catherine Tate is not really that great looking. In the show she basically looks like a frumpy not completely unattractive, slightly bottomheavy middle aged woman. Then I found this photo and had to reassess.

Actually, she looks pretty cute in this promo photo too.

Last edited by msmith537; 11-12-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
It's a shame that people seem to think that physical attributes is the be-all and end-all of attractiveness. If that's so important, you're going to be very disappointed in life.

They're TV people. It's ok to judge them on attractiveness.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I was going to say Catherine Tate is not really that great looking. In the show she basically looks like a frumpy not completely unattractive, slightly bottomheavy middle aged woman. Then I found this photo and had to reassess.
Dear God, it's Boobarella! BOOBS!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Catherine Tate. Do not want.

Billie Piper. Want!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Dear God, it's Boobarella! BOOBS!

Yes, apparently like the TARDIS, they are bigger on the inside (I know that doesn't make any sense, it just sounds funny).
Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Billie Piper, as a Companion, is supposed to be attractive--in a working class sort of way. She dressed down & wore too much eye makeup on Who & has looked better in other roles.

Catherine Tate became a beloved Companion because of her character's spirit; she went from annoying to Amazing. She may be no great beauty, but she's hardly "shapeless."

I'm a straight female, but wonder about your disdain for women on British TV. Guess you never met Leela, a Companion of the wonderful 4th Doctor.

Outside the Whovian universe--what about Emma Peel?

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 11-12-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm kinda glad I didn't start a thread entitled "Is David Tennant supposed to be attractive?"
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I'm a straight female, but wonder about your disdain for women on British TV. Guess you never met Leela, a Companion of the wonderful 4th Doctor.

Outside the Whovian universe--what about Emma Peel?
Leela was alright. Jo was very cute.

Emma Peel is a goddess. She helped erase my Huh? reactions to the women who populated a typical episode of Secret Agent.

Of course, I've been spoiled by American women, both on screen and in real life.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Billie-yes please!
Freema- Also yes thank you!
Catharine -don't know her well enough, but pretty.
Also, Eve Myles (yes I know not Doctor Who but connected so it counts) is very yummy.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Quote:
I'm kinda glad I didn't start a thread entitled "Is David Tennant supposed to be attractive?"
If it had been John Barryman a certain colleague of mine would have climbed through the monitor and ripped your head off.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsang View Post
If it had been John Barryman a certain colleague of mine would have climbed through the monitor and ripped your head off.
In either his or Tennant's case I have to answer to my daughters.

Eve Myles is one of those "objectively not exceptional but there's something about her" people for me.

Perhaps my remark on figures has something to do with the climates of Great Britain (cold and damp with lots of need for clothing) and Southern California, home of most of American TV, but living where I do (Cold? You Brits don't know the MEANING of cold!) I've learned to adjust my perceptions.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Making use of my limited knowledge of popular culture - Unabomer = Canada right?

No. Chicago.

p.s. Shouldn't it be 'Unabomber'?

Last edited by Lobsang; 11-12-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Specifically, Lombard, Illinois. He lived with his mother on the other side of town and traces of bomb fixin's were found in her shed. The case's FBI code name was UNiversity and Airline BOMber. Both "Unabomer" and "Unabomber" are acceptable, but I went with the earlier name.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Heterosexual woman checking in.

While I don't think Billie Piper is beautiful, she's definitely got the x factor down. When she's on screen, you can't keep your eyes off of her, even though she has some obvious imperfections, such as protruding teeth. (Why DO Brits resist orthodontia?) Anyway, I definitely get the attraction.

She reminds me of a modern day Pattie Boyd, the muse of both Eric Clapton and George Harrison. She looked a lot like Piper, IMO, right down to the narrow upper palate. But she most definitely turned heads and inspired some really impressive tributes (if you don't know, I mean Harrison's "Something" and Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" and "Layla.") So while it's hard to peg down what is it exactly that makes them so sexy, it's clearly not just looks because there are other more beautiful women around (e.g. Elizabeth Hurley), who aren't as sexy. Whatever is is, they possess(ed) it, in spades.

Last edited by PunditLisa; 11-12-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Missed the edit window. Here's a picture of Boyd:

http://members.fortunecity.com/patti.../islewight.jpg
Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
While I don't think Billie Piper is beautiful, she's definitely got the x factor down. When she's on screen, you can't keep your eyes off of her, even though she has some obvious imperfections, such as protruding teeth. (Why DO Brits resist orthodontia?)
I have to confess, the teeth are part of what I find irresistibly cute about Billie (in addition to her eyebrows).

I am, however, a bit disturbed by the fact that she's been intimate with Chris Evans. *shudder*
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Piper: At least at first, I found her somewhat unattractive due more to the character's personality than any physical qualities. As the character grew on me, so did my opinion of her beauty. If I look at her in isolation, without thinking about Rose at all--she's quite attractive.

Agyeman: Quite lovely. Better still when she doesn't wear her hair pulled back as severely as Martha usually did.

Tate: While there's something rather plain about her, she's far from unattractive, particularly as the character moves away from her genesis as the Bride.

Tennant: Oh -gawd- yes.

Barrowman: Ditto. He's like Tom Cruise, but not batshit crazy and actually a pretty nice guy to boot. Sexier on Who than Torchwood, though; the character tends to have a certain joie de vivre on Who that is conspicuously absent from Torchwood.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Götterfunken View Post
I am, however, a bit disturbed by the fact that she's been intimate with Chris Evans. *shudder*
I was horribly confused about your post, thinking "What? He's a fairly decent looking-guy and he wasn't terrible in the Fantastic Four movies..." and then I realized you were talking about Chris Evans, not Chris Evans.

Back on topic:

Billie Piper: Pretty!
Freema Agyeman: Sex on legs.
Catherine Tate: Boooobiiiiies. (Also, Donna is distilled awesome, so step off.)

John Barrowman is certainly stunning, but God bless him, it's like the scenery is a five-course meal. David Tennant is one of my top crushes ever.

Last edited by Kythereia; 11-12-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: to add the boys
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I was going to say Catherine Tate is not really that great looking. In the show she basically looks like a frumpy not completely unattractive, slightly bottomheavy middle aged woman.
Speaking as a slightly frumpy middle-aged man, Catherine Tate looks great.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythereia View Post
David Tennant is one of my top crushes ever.
You might like David Tennant as Hamlet , then...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 AM
I think Catherine Tate is a gifted actress and a well put together woman. But the character she played in Dr Who was different from the love sick girlies that Piper and Agyeman played.

I would imagine that if love sick girlies are attractive to you, then you'll find Billie and Freema hot and if you are more turned on by challenging, bossy women, Catherine would be your pick.

As for Tennent, I think he gets more like a stick insect with every passing year. A stick insect with far too many teeth. He was pretty sexy in "Secret Smile", a drama on British telly a few years ago where he was one scary sod. And he was very easy on the eye in "Casanova", but he's just got too thin, now.
Eat up, David, there's a good chap.

Last edited by Dublin11; 11-13-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Because we want to!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
The most attractive woman to appear in Nu Who is Tish, Martha's sister.

Freema's okayish until she puts on that frowny face or talks.

Catherine's okayish but so not my cup of tea. Were a gun put to my head, I'd choose her.

I wouldn't touch Billie with a bargepole, let alone my cock.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I am happy to call Rose the greatest of them all, even judged against Sarah Jane and Romana, who were MY Companions.
I'd still do Sarah Jane
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Billie Piper was cute when she was on Dr. Who (despite suffering from 'too many teeth syndrome), but now she's way too skinny.

I don't think Tate is meant to be attractive, really. Unless busty redhead meets your definition of attractive.

-Joe
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Charter Member
Catherine Tate, or rather Donna, wasn't supposed to be attractive in the Rose Tyler/Freema Agyeman sense. She's more a complement to the Doctor, in that Dr Liz Shaw way - something different than who has gone before.

I suppose it's still possible that Sally Sparrow may return as a companion, as she's a Steven Moffat creation.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
Barrowman: Ditto. He's like Tom Cruise, but not batshit crazy and actually a pretty nice guy to boot. Sexier on Who than Torchwood, though; the character tends to have a certain joie de vivre on Who that is conspicuously absent from Torchwood.
It's a darker show, which affects things. But still, as a straight male, I have to say that Barrowman looked better in Who because of his haircut. If you're supposed to be a cool macho guy, you go with the Whovian Captain Jack Buzzcut, not the Torchwood Captain Jack Flopsie cut.

-Joe
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
[hijack]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
Why DO Brits resist orthodontia?
I'm not Brit but I have horrible teeth. Un-whitenable yellow (1) and irregular. But when Mom took me to the dentist, he tested my bite, asked whether I planned on becoming a model or an actress and when I said no, said he couldn't recommend braces: "she's got the best bite I've ever seen, her teeth are ugly but superbly matched, so if we prettify them they're likely to end up worse than now from a functional point of view."
So Myself and Littlebro (similar situation) never got braces. Middlebro, who had respiratory and digestive problems due to a sunk palate, did get them and is the only one with decently-aligned teeth, although not to Hollywood standards.

1: because of a kind of antibiotic, tetracyclines (sp?), which was very popular when I was a baby before doctors realized it made kids' teeth yellow and it might negatively affect general bone health. My teeth are darker on the inside than the outside, so whitening methods would make things worse, as they're basically a matter of scraping off the yellowed surface.
[/hijack]
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post

1: because of a kind of antibiotic, tetracyclines (sp?), which was very popular when I was a baby before doctors realized it made kids' teeth yellow and it might negatively affect general bone health. My teeth are darker on the inside than the outside, so whitening methods would make things worse, as they're basically a matter of scraping off the yellowed surface.
[/hijack]
I'm an American and I have awful teeth, also due to tetracycline and childhood fevers ruining the enamel on my teeth and having a too small mouth and crowded teeth. My parents couldn't afford braces and I have never been able to afford them as an adult. I am certain you are much younger than me so I'm surprised you also suffered the effects of tetracycline since I seem to remember they stopped using it in kids in the seventies, after it already did its damage to my teeth in the sixties.

Anyway, regarding the OP, I haven't watched the David Tennant episodes yet and I am a straight female but I think Billie Piper is pretty cute. I think that, in spite of her protruding teeth, it's her smile that really lights up her face that makes her attractive.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Her smile is TOO BIG. But it might be her clownish, chav makeup that over accentuates it. She was mildly cute on that Jane Austen I saw part of and her shy smile is rather fetching.

Last edited by dropzone; 11-13-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
The most attractive woman to appear in Nu Who is Tish, Martha's sister.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

I give you Reinette (Sophia Myles) (pic here), Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan) (pics here), or Jenny (Georgia Moffett) (pic here)

I don't really like Billy Piper, Freema Agyeman is a looker, Catherine Tate does scrub up but dresses down as Donna.

Si
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I could never even comprehen someone not thinking that Billie Piper is attractive. I have long since lost my blonde fixation, but she is hawt anyway. On the otherhand, Catherine Tate was my favorite companion because she wasn't the drooly bizaar girllfreind/companion thing that bugs me a bit like the boss subordinate thing does.

I really would like a female Doctor. I'd also like a non-white Doctor. I suppose Will Smith is out of the question, but what about Arthur Dent from the HHGTG movie. Heck, anything not white. The Male hero always rescuing the female companion from the silly trouble they get themselves into needs to stop.