Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Poll: Is It Okay To Wear Sweatpants In Public?

This subject was alluded to in another thread as being controversial around here, but somehow I have missed seeing any threads where we've ever discussed it. No, I don't need a link. We've rehashed controversial subjects around here since before time, so let's discuss.

I say no sweatpants in public. Unless you are extremely ill with something that precludes you from putting real pants on and you wear them to the hospital. I could possibly concede that it's okay to wear them to the corner convenience store, like just to get the paper, but only if there's no line and you have exact change, and you run the whole time, flinging the money at the cashier as you dash back to the car, hiding your face in shame the whole time.

One time I had a date come to pick me up to go to dinner wearing sweatpants. He lived in Phoenix and said something had happened to his other pants and that's all he had. What, you couldn't go to freaking Walmart and buy a 20 dollar pair of pants? I went, but I didn't have fun, and I didn't see him again. Sheesh- sweatpants out to dinner.

Sweatpants are not attractive on anyone, unless maybe you're 20 and have a juicy behind, and are wearing those sweatpants that announce it, but even that's iffy. It just looks like you don't give a crap what you look like or how you present yourself. It's like not brushing your hair and going out with bedhead, which is something I see all the time. Sweatpants are for the comfort of your home. Only.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure. On me... a 50 something, overweight mom... Not so much. I look like I'm probably, actually, sweating in them. I've seen some young women who look really cute in "work out" clothes.

I'm assuming we are making a distinction between sweats and "jogging suits" which are comfortable pants with matching jacket which I would wear to the grocery store.

Then again, I've been known to drop the kids at school in my pajamas and long denim duster coat and then stop, on the way home, at the corner store for smokes and coffee.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
The question is, what kind of sweatpants? Five dollar Jerzees in bright green? Only if you're home sick with the flu. There are so many variations I can't give a definitive answer. Who the hell dresses up to go to Walmart?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Putting real pants on is not "dressing up". Pajamas, sweats, workout clothes have their place, which is at home or at the gym.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Putting real pants on is not "dressing up". Pajamas, sweats, workout clothes have their place, which is at home or at the gym.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this rule, I'm subject to breaking it. Some days I'm in the "don't give a fuck" camp when it comes to how I look at the corner store.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
If I didn't wear sweatpants in public, my dog would never get walked.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm in the 'home or at the gym' camp, at least at my age. Pants that I wear in public have zippers or at least buttons and only one of me is supposed to fit inside of them. A year or so my mom gave me a purple 'jogging' suit that I was supposed to wear in public but it's never left the property and I never wear both pieces at once. There's no such thing as a corner store where I live and it takes just as long to put on sweats as it does real pants if I'm going to drive into town.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Yoga pants -- sometimes, if you're just dashing to the store or getting your hair done (which I did the other day).

Sweatpants...Only if you're running a fever and you're standing in the checkout line at Walgreens, armed to the hilt with prescription drugs.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Goodness. What do I care what people I don't know wear to the corner store? Don't I have better things to worry about?

Unless your clothing is touching me or making noise or something, I don't really care. If I cared so much about aesthetics, the lurid red and green of 7-11, and those nasty looking taquitos, would be the first thing to go. Then maybe I'd start thinking about the dressing habits of strangers briefly glimpsed in a public place.

Last edited by even sven; 02-08-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
Goodness. What do I care what people I don't know wear to the corner store? Don't I have better things to worry about?
This.

I'll wear whatever the fuck I want to wear, thank you very much, and if any maiden aunts faint at the sight of me in dingy college shorts, that's their problem.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
And as ever, it took fewer than ten posts for the oh-so-enlightened "I'm too deep to care about appearances" folks to get their dingy panties bunched up.

Hey, if you don't give a fuck, good on you. Just don't be surprised when people's reaction to "I don't give a fuck" is less than positive.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Goodness is right.

Hey, I'm all for looking sharp when I go out and about. I work at home, so I'll often wear the same mismatched but comfy clothes for days. But when I go out, I'll usually put on "real" clothes.

Ditto for "occasions." Going out to dinner, going to a movie or concert, meeting up with other people, work, school, weddings, funerals -- by all means I expect people to wear decent attire.

However, if somebody else wants to run their errands in sweats, it's fine by me. What business is it of mine? And WTF do you care what other people are wearing at the grocery store?

I had a roommate once who would change out of her clean, matching sweatpants and sweatshirt into jeans, T-shirt, and shoes to go get the mail -- at the indoor mailboxes ten feet down the hall from our door. PLEASE.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
And as ever, it took fewer than ten posts for the oh-so-enlightened "I'm too deep to care about appearances" folks to get their dingy panties bunched up.
I'm one of those who do care about appearances. I hate it when people show up at events dressed too casually or sloppily, and I'm usually a bit overdressed for everyday occasions when I'm away from home. But I don't think people should have to worry about being a fashion plate when they're running personal errands.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I think that most of the responses are about what people themselves would wear in public and not about what anyone else should do. I couldn't care less if someone else wants to walk around in a garbage bag. I'm not sure why people are taking it personally.

Last edited by Karyn; 02-08-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
And I don't care when other people wear sweats to the grocery store. Seriously, it's nothing to me.

I just can't imagine myself ever feeling as though it's not worth the truly minute effort of making myself presentable. Maybe it's just that my experience is that I'm always running into people I know (or people I might like to know!), and why would I not take three extra minutes to be cute, just in case?

ETA, what Karyn said.

Last edited by DianaG; 02-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Sweatpants are for the comfort of your home. Only.
You make it sound like they're indecent. Nonsense. Bathrobes, pajamas, and underwear-only are for the comfort of your home. Sweats are fine and dandy for when you're out in public doing something completely nonformal and/or moderately athletic: jogging, playing softball, doing yardwork.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
There's "leaving the house in sweats" and then there's "going out in sweats". Subtle difference.

Leaving the house to get your mail, to walk your dog, to go for a run - acceptable sweatpants situations.

Going out to places where you will be interacting with people, like at the store, or to class, or the restaurant or the kid's preschool - unacceptable sweatpants situations, IMO.

If you're sick. or injured, or having a day where you hate yourself and everything and would rather hide under the bed and cry all day but you can't because you need to go buy cat food for Ms Fluffybutt, then exceptions can be made.

I guess that in my mind, sweats are in the same category as pj's. I wouldn't wear them out unless I had no other choice, because they're not really clothes. I'd feel undressed and embarrassed if I ran into anybody I knew.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Quote:
And I don't care when other people wear sweats to the grocery store. Seriously, it's nothing to me.

I just can't imagine myself ever feeling as though it's not worth the truly minute effort of making myself presentable. Maybe it's just that my experience is that I'm always running into people I know (or people I might like to know!), and why would I not take three extra minutes to be cute, just in case?

ETA, what Karyn said.
Ditto. These are my rules for myself...not for anyone else. Though I may think "Jeeeez...I could never do that" when I see someone wearing bunny slippers and her husband's pajama bottoms at the local Sunday breakfast joint.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I live in L.A., where pajama-like athletic wear is ubiquitous on women 16-40. Interesting detail, though, these casually-dressed women always have their makeup fully done.

I myself wear loose athletic wear to bed. Some weekends, I could just get up, put on a bra, and walk out the door and nobody would turn their head at Trader Joe's, because that's how everybody else is dressed. I just can't make myself do it, though.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Unless you are actively engaging in some sort of athletic endeavor, no.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Hell, half the defendants were in sweats the last time I went to traffic court. Apparently it's acceptable for a certain subset of the population.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
Hell, half the defendants were in sweats the last time I went to traffic court. Apparently it's acceptable for a certain subset of the population.
I for one would like to opt out of the societal subset "defendant".
Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I was going to say I'd rather not, then it occurred to me that while I do try to avoid leaving the house in sweats, I do wear them from the office to the self-defense studio where I take classes after work... because the changing facilities there are less than salubrious. So I guess I'm giving myself a pass on 'traveling TO an athletic endeavour.'

The other weekend I wore them to the grocery store and pointed out to my husband that I was clearly sick as a dog because otherwise I would have changed into jeans for the duration, even if I got back in sweats as soon as I got home.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I for one would like to opt out of the societal subset "defendant".
What do you say to a bass player* in a three-piece suit?

"Will the defendant please rise?"

------
* Or insert whatever subcategory of people you wish to insult here.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Hey, if you don't give a fuck, good on you. Just don't be surprised when people's reaction to "I don't give a fuck" is less than positive.
Not caring what peoples reaction is is pretty much essential to "I don't give a fuck." What possible difference could it make to me what other people think of what I'm wearing?

Sweatpants in public is just fine.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn View Post
I'm not sure why people are taking it personally.
Because

Quote:
Just don't be surprised when people's reaction to "I don't give a fuck" is less than positive.
and

Quote:
hiding your face in shame the whole time. <snip>

It just looks like you don't give a crap what you look like or how you present yourself.
Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to wear them to run errands. Going to the store looking like these lads? No problem. (I admit, I think the one guy should put on some shoes instead of those flip-flops.) I don't get why they are 'as bad as pajamas'.

Perhaps it's a culture thing. *shrug*
Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Hmm... maybe it's me, but I felt like that was a pretty neutral comment. After all, you either don't care or you do. If you don't care, then what difference does what I think make? If you do care, then put on some real pants.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
In college, totally acceptable. If I had an 8 o'clock class, I would purposely wear jammies that needed only the addition of a pair of shoes to be complete.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapuntal View Post
Not caring what peoples reaction is is pretty much essential to "I don't give a fuck." What possible difference could it make to me what other people think of what I'm wearing?
It sounds good and "independent" to say that you don't care what other people think, but isn't it really a good thing to care what people think of you? Don't you care what your family, neighbors, and/or friends think about you? Wouldn't that necessarily extend to your appearance in public? I would think having a positive visual impact on others is evolutionarily a benefit. But whatever floats your boat. I'm mostly talking about the way I personally dress. But I do judge people based on their appearance, and I believe that's human and normal.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Hmm... maybe it's me, but I felt like that was a pretty neutral comment. After all, you either don't care or you do. If you don't care, then what difference does what I think make? If you do care, then put on some real pants.
Well... certainly not very harsh. But it does seem to have a judgemental tone - perhaps I'm projecting, here.

Alice, what I wonder is ... if your family, neighbors, friends, and every other person in town does it, would you still feel the same way?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyWt View Post

Alice, what I wonder is ... if your family, neighbors, friends, and every other person in town does it, would you still feel the same way?

Well, I suppose that in that case I would find it fashionable and appealing, like the women in that religious group that wear their hair in updos and wear Laura Ingalls-type dresses find their appearance normal and acceptable.
Do track pants count? I wear Adidas track pants all the time.
Quote:
It sounds good and "independent" to say that you don't care what other people think, but isn't it really a good thing to care what people think of you? Don't you care what your family, neighbors, and/or friends think about you?
To a certain extent I do, unless they are judging me based on my clothing. That's a pretty shallow frame of reference. But really, there are probably less than ten people in the world whose opinion I really give a shit about. And they take as I am, God bless 'em.

Quote:
Wouldn't that necessarily extend to your appearance in public? I would think having a positive visual impact on others is evolutionarily a benefit.
I'm sterile, so no genes will be passed along.

Quote:
But whatever floats your boat. I'm mostly talking about the way I personally dress. But I do judge people based on their appearance, and I believe that's human and normal.
It may be, but as I said, such judgments seem shallow and pointless to me.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Well, I suppose that in that case I would find it fashionable and appealing, like the women in that religious group that wear their hair in updos and wear Laura Ingalls-type dresses find their appearance normal and acceptable.
Exactly! "When in Rome" and all that. So, I think that is the difference between you and me on this issue. People here do it all the time. It is unremarkable.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapuntal View Post
To a certain extent I do, unless they are judging me based on my clothing. That's a pretty shallow frame of reference.
For people who are just meeting you, it's the only frame of reference they have. And why shouldn't they judge you on it? You chose those clothes, correct? You're making a statement, and that statment is "I don't give a fuck." Again, that's okay. You're an island, yippee for you. But don't act as though other people are shallow for thinking of you exactly what you've chosen to portray.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think I have ever worn sweats outside the home except while exercising, not even when I'm sick, but I don't care if I see strangers wear them.

There are far more egregious acts a person can commit in public than wearing sweats so even I were to make a list of the top five hundred most unpleasant acts by strangers, wearing sweats would not make the list. An argument could be made that a physically fit person wearing sweat pants in public may care more about his/her appearance than a well-groomed person who is a hundred pounds overweight.

That's for strangers, if I was on a date like one poster wrote and the guy showed up in sweats for a non-athletic event, it would be a deal-breaker, even if he had a "juicy behind".

Last edited by discodancer; 02-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Quote:
For people who are just meeting you, it's the only frame of reference they have.
Some folks take into account what people say, and how they behave, and such stuff. But if how they dress is the only frame of reference you find useful, well, rock on.

Quote:
And why shouldn't they judge you on it?
Because it's none of their business? Because it serves no purpose? Because there is an excellent chance that they will be wrong?

Quote:
You chose those clothes, correct? You're making a statement, and that statment is "I don't give a fuck." Again, that's okay. You're an island, yippee for you. But don't act as though other people are shallow for thinking of you exactly what you've chosen to portray.
"Portray" is not the same as "wear."

If they are thinking anything other than "He chose to wear sweatpants," they are making a judgment based on insufficient data. Why should I care what they think? Apparently, they hardly think at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
There are times when I absolutely give a fuck, other times when I don't. I think I'm a fair judge of when those times are appropriate and when they're not. I drop my kids off at school with my pj's on and might stop at the gas station with my pj's and a coat over them. I would not go to a school conference, however, in my PJ's or anything less than casual, actual, dress. I might run out to the corner convenience store in my sweats but I'd get dressed for actual grocery shopping. Don't know what camp that puts me in but I like to think I do, indeed, have a pretty good grip on when it's OK to not give a fuck if princess, who's stopped at the corner store the same time as me, thinks I'm boorish.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh, and yeah, I truly don't give a fuck about people who would judge me based on a snapshot of my life, seeing me buy a cup of coffee in my sweatpants and pajama shirt. These are likely the same people who judge those they see buying groceries with food stamps and have the audacity to have some twinkies in their cart. For those people, I'm always, "whatthefuckever" in terms of how much I care what they think.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Um, define "okay". Does that mean that if we dress "appropriately" out in public we get to escape snotty looks and comments? (not that I'd notice, I'm a fat, hideous, old lady anyway, I'm quite sure I scare small children no matter what I wear) Or does "okay" that it's acceptable based upon a majority of sorts of the general public?

Anyway, based upon my fellow Anchorageites I'd say that it's just fine and dandy. By the by, when I was a wee lass people used to dress up, and I mean dress UP, to fly on an airplane. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school, we really weren't yet wearing jeans, we wore "slacks, " when we did wear pants, it was considered tacky to wear jeans "out in public.

Imho, it depends upon what part of the public one is going into. I think that the store is fine to wear sweats to. And I guess at this point I'd have to say "define sweats". From the sound of the OP and other dopers, they make them sound like everyone who wears sweats is wearing 20 year old stretched out, holey, painted on sweats (I DO wear painted on, currently being WORKED in ones to Home Depot and Lowes, though).

I had to look at the OP's location to make sure she wasn't from Connecticutt or somewhere like that, I remember when I was in basics the girls from the East Coast thought it was tacky to even wear pants, let alone jeans. One had never worn anything but skirts. They'd probably faint at the sight of sweat pants!!!

Anyway, back to the "what part of the public" I certainly wouldn't wear them out to nice locations, dinner, the theatre (movies, of course, those damned movie theatres are cold!!).

If we're going to start dictating what is "okay" or not okay for people to wear, we should DEFINITELY start with those poopy diaper pants that so many young thug wannabes insist upon wearing. This is why I asked for a definition of "okay". There are a lot of things people wear that are silly looking (those pants crack me up, especially when the young men that wear them are attempting to step down off of a curb!), make the wearer look bad (including some supposedly nice dress up clothing, oooh I've seen some really bad outfits ), and so on. I know you didn't intend to say anything of the sort, but nothing we say or do is going to stop others from wearing stuff that we personally consider "bad".

Last edited by CanvasShoes; 02-08-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM
What part of "just meeting you" was unclear? You haven't said or done anything yet. All I have to go on is what you're wearing.

As to the rest of your post, dude, that's total crap.

What we choose to wear says a lot about who we think we are, and who we want others to think we are.

Let's say you see a woman in a pleather minidress, fishnets, and fuck me pumps. Are you by chance making any assumptions about her? How about the guy in the Armani suit? The fat middle-aged couple in their matching "I'm With Stupid" tshirts. Have you formed any opinons of these people, based on their attire?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
What part of "just meeting you" was unclear?
The part where "just meeting someone" is generally taken to include the whole set of initial interactions with a person--approach, greeting, introduction, y'know, that sort of thing--which you've arbitrarily chose to exclude here for some reason.

Last edited by Q.E.D.; 02-08-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
What part of "just meeting you" was unclear? You haven't said or done anything yet. All I have to go on is what you're wearing.

What we choose to wear says a lot about who we think we are, and who we want others to think we are.

Let's say you see a woman in a pleather minidress, fishnets, and fuck me pumps. Are you by chance making any assumptions about her? How about the guy in the Armani suit? The fat middle-aged couple in their matching "I'm With Stupid" tshirts. Have you formed any opinons of these people, based on their attire?
I don't think you're responding to me in that I'm not a dude but I have to ask, why must you form an opinion at all about someone you've "just met" or merely see at a gas station? I really try not to judge people at all but I'm really careful about judging people based soley on what they are wearing.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Quote:
So we have met, but have not spoken? Interesting. I really don't think of that as a meeting.

I've met all sorts of folks who confound stereotypes, and if I had judged them based on first impressions I would have missed some really interesting experiences. You might want to withhold judgment until you have a bit more to sink your teeth into. Just a thought. By the way, I'm wearing hot pants, engineer's boots, and a parka made of damask and baling twine right now, if that helps.

Quote:
Brilliant analysis. It's the type of deep, critical thinking that goes hand in hand with judging folks by the clothes they wear.

Quote:
You just don't get it. Let me break it down for you. SEZ YOU. Got it? You don't get to say how things are in the world, only how you take them to be.

I would say that people making such value judgments on scant evidence says a lot about who they are.

Quote:
I haven't made any judgments based solely on their attire, no.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
NinetyWit, that's why I gave myself an out and said 'most' since a few comments did seem to be talking more about others.

Diana's comment was getting the most response and I thought it was kind of neutral so I was puzzled. It seems to me that not caring what others think about one's clothing acknowledges that they know that some people do think about it and are going to react in some way or another. But, since they don't care what others think, why would any of that bother them?

I don't mean any particular you or they, just people in general. For me, the best reason for not wearing sweats in pubic is that they make my ass look fat.

Last edited by Karyn; 02-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Quote:

Who are you replying to? Your post doesn't say, sorry.

But in general, to answer your statement of "What we choose to wear says a lot about who we think we are, and who we want others to think we re". I'd have to say "yes, it CAN". But it doesn't necessarily mean that your assessment is correct. Particularly if you're merely seeing them as another poster so eloquently stated "in a snapshot of their life".

And if you're making negative assumptions based upon such a tiny piece of data, then yes, you are BEING shallow at that point (doesn't mean you are a shallow person).

Regarding your second question, there are a lot of things I might think if I saw a young lady dressed as you describe:...

*Is there a costume party going on for young folks nearby?
*OOhhh, sweetie, sexy doesn't HAVE to mean slutty
*Wish I still had the bod for that!
*OOoooh sweetie you do NOT have the bod for that, poor thing!

And so on. And yes, I am making some assessments and possibly forming opinions also. You're absolutely right in saying that there is clothing that makes the wearer look good, and clothing that makes the wearer look bad, or indifferent (sweats maybe), or as if they're down with the worst cold in the world, or as if they just woke up from a three day binge, or whatever.

I think what some are saying is that what's not "okay" is to decide FOR other people whether what they are wearing is "okay" or not. That there's a big difference between making a momentary observation on what someone is wearing, and making a judgment upon whether or not it's "okay" for them to even BE wearing it.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
CanvasShoes, I was replying to Contrapuntal (post #37).

But at the moment, I'm just sitting back and giggling at a bunch of people who "don't give a fuck what anyone thinks" attacking me for judging them.

Last edited by DianaG; 02-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
You chose those clothes, correct? You're making a statement
No, I didn't *choose* these clothes, they're just what I happened to have on. When I need to run to town for a few things, I don't stop to consider myself in the mirror and decide what persona I'm going to project to a bunch of strangers today. I just want my Froot Loops or whatever.

Likewise when I'm doing my own shopping. I've got shit to do, and I'm concerned with that rather than squinting at everybody else deciding whether they're morally upright or whatever based on the construction of their clothes. I just want my Froot Loops or whatever.

I don't stink, my clothes are clean and reasonably neat, I have an appropriate amount of skin showing, and my hair is combed. What's the rest to you?

I save my sartorial statements for when I want to make a deliberate choice: a nice dinner out, a meeting, a wedding, and other occasions similar to the ones I mentioned above.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
BANNED
Quote:

I personally do not. I usually don't even notice what people are wearing, much less expend any energy making judgements about them.

Hell, on any given day, you can cover my eyes, ask me what I'm wearing, and there's a good chance I'd have no idea. It would be whatever T-shirt I grabbed that day.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 02-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Quote:
CanvasShoes, I was replying to Contrapuntal.

But at the moment, I'm just sitting back and giggling at a bunch of people who "don't give a fuck what anyone thinks" attacking me for judging them.
I don't know if anyone is attacking you, but what ever they are doing, it is based on a bit more than what folks wear. People are responding to what you think. Shouldn't that carry a tad more weight?

Last edited by Contrapuntal; 02-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.