Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Do they even still sell safety razor blades in the U.S.?

Back in November, my wife bought me, as an anniversary gift, a beautiful German-made safety razor, much llike the one pictured here, along with a package of ten blades, some soap, a mug, and some cologne.

I love shaving this way, and the single blades I use in this outfit shave me better than the three or five or seventeen blades in a drugstore throwaway razor. And the blades hold up pretty well too; I get about two to three weeks from a single double edged blade.

But I don't seem to see them for sale anywhere. Granted they're small, and I might easily have overlooked them, but as far as I could tell the big drug chains don't have them. Is that actually the case? If I will need to reorder my shaving supplies from Germany it's good to know that well before I need them.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM
You mean this, or this?

ETA : Google result for safety razor blade.

Joe

Last edited by Yorikke; 02-19-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I see them at CVS and Wal-Mart all the time. I just don't hava a razor to shove them into.

Shame, since I already have the mug and brush.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
As above, you can find them but the package is small and you have to look hard.

I think they give a great shave too; I shaved with a safety razor until a couple years ago.

I gave up on it not because I couldn't find blades, but because it became hard to find blades that were not already dull. I think such things have a limited shelf life and unfortunately so few people use them anymore that they sit on the shelf a long time.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Indeed, you may want to check out the DE (Double Edge) section of the straightrazorplace forum, or the folks over at badger and blade....

Wet shaving is a grand thing!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I always check them out at a local tobacco store every time I go in (even though they're always the same ones; they're neat!). They have all sorts of odd things: darts and boards, canes, chess boards and pieces, pipes, etc. They have knives and safety razors and flasks all in the same case.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Charter Member
Your best bet is purchasing them on the internet. A lot of the geeks on some of the shave forums (like me) recommend getting a sampler pack like this and finding out what blade suits you best. Most of us aren't happy with the blades found in brick and mortar stores and the prices are much steeper (although no where in the neighborhood of overpriced cartridges). My blade of choice is the Turkish made Derby and I get them here (and use discount code "BB"). I think my last order came to less than 12 cents a blade.

Don't forget to get yourself a badger brush and some quality shaving soap for the full experience. IMHO, shaving with a badger brush and an excellent soap like Tabac is more important than going to double edged blades. Everyone that I know that's tried it was never able to go back to the goo in the can that doesn't have the slickness of a quality soap. The standard starter brush is this one.

Also, check out the shave videos by Mantic59. Good stuff. If you're interested in more shave geekery, check out the badger and blade forums and also shavemyface.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
You mean this, or this?
The one in the first link, since single edged blades won't work in the razor with the Merkur head that the OP has. For a single edged blade, you'll need a razor like this Gem. They're fun to shave with too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moto View Post
I see them at CVS and Wal-Mart all the time. I just don't hava a razor to shove them into.

Shame, since I already have the mug and brush.
Get yourself a vintage Gillette on Ebay. I used to use a Merkur like the OP has, but I've come to prefer the Gillette "Slim." There are tons of them on Ebay and lots of great deals. I have a few dozen safety razors in my collection.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
My blade of choice is the Turkish made Derby and I get them here (and use discount code "BB"). I think my last order came to less than 12 cents a blade.
Jesus, i think i might become a convert. How many shaves do you get per blade?

I was in Vons yesterday, and a pack of 8 Schick three-blade heads was about $22.00!!! I can't believe how expensive they have gotten.

My main concern would be that my face has a few decent-sized moles on it, and if i nick the top of one of those fuckers it doesn't stop bleeding for about three hours.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 AM
The Vermont Country Store stocks the blades.

If you look at your own link you will find that they cost $9.95 for a pack of ten. They're there on the right hand side of the screen.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 AM
One place to check for razor blades you might also consider but not think to check is under the counter at gas stations, alot of drug users use them to "process" choreboy scrubbing pads for their pipes, at the store i worked at you could get 5 blades for a dollar.

Just one of the more worrisome things i picked up while slaving away there, Please forgive me is this is off base.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Jesus, i think i might become a convert. How many shaves do you get per blade?
I get about the same amount of shaves I did when shaving with a Gillette Sensor, which is about five.

Quote:
I was in Vons yesterday, and a pack of 8 Schick three-blade heads was about $22.00!!! I can't believe how expensive they have gotten.
I know, it's insane. Heavy marketing in the 70s got just about everyone to believe there's something superior about having blades stuck to a disposable plastic handle and from there the bullshit that the more blades the better when there was no where to go from there. The truth is that with aftermarket blades being as cheap as they were (and are), they weren't making money on blades and once someone owned a razor, it was all they needed for a lifetime. Well, they couldn't have that, could they? The most expensive cartridge doesn't give me as good a shave as a Derby blade in my '65 Gillette Slim.

Quote:
My main concern would be that my face has a few decent-sized moles on it, and if i nick the top of one of those fuckers it doesn't stop bleeding for about three hours.
If you're shaving with a cartridge blade now, you shouldn't have a problem. They're both safety razors that leave just a portion of the blade exposed to limit the amount of a mistake you can make. There are just a few adjustments you'll have to make to get your technique down. Unlike cartridge blades, you don't use pressure; you let the weight of the razor do the work. The wrist stays stiff and it's all in the shoulder and elbow. Check out the Mantic59 videos first (I believe he has a mole too) and once you give it a shot, you'll never go back and you'll be telling others to stop getting suckered into buying overpriced cartridges. And don't forget the badger brush and quality soap or cream- that's the best part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymiff View Post
The Vermont Country Store stocks the blades.

If you look at your own link you will find that they cost $9.95 for a pack of ten. They're there on the right hand side of the screen.
Way overpriced. Merkur makes some fine razors, but their blades are horrible and they can be found much cheaper than what the Vermont Country Store is selling them for. One of the shave forums had Magnified blade pictures of a few brands and it was no wonder my shaves with them were as bad as they were once I saw the pics as compared to a few other brands. I'll try to find those pics and post them.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Charter Member
Just get yourself one of those little pyramids to sharpen up your old blades.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah, you can get them but you do have to look around a bit.

I've always used a mug and brush and now you can add me to the list of those who have gone back to double edge blades in a Merkur razor, not only because of the cost but also because they actually give a better shave.

More info than you could ever want on shaving: Badger & Blade
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bare View Post
Just get yourself one of those little pyramids to sharpen up your old blades.
Or get one of these! As Seen On TV!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I've been using a double edge blade for about two years now. I'll never go back to the multi-blade things they have out now. All they ever did was chew up my face. Not so with the safety razor.

I too have had problems finding blades. Our local Walmart doesn't sell them. The only place I've ever seen the blades is in a local pharmacy store. Hope that helps
Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyBob View Post
As above, you can find them but the package is small and you have to look hard.

I think they give a great shave too; I shaved with a safety razor until a couple years ago.

I gave up on it not because I couldn't find blades, but because it became hard to find blades that were not already dull. I think such things have a limited shelf life and unfortunately so few people use them anymore that they sit on the shelf a long time.
Then the answer to my question is yes in absolute terms, but maybe I'd just better go ahead and order my refills from Germany, or the American company that imports them.

Although, now that I come to think of it, I don't think limited shelf life would be the reason you couldn't find good blades. I haven't noticed the least deterioration in quality in the blade I inserted a week ago, as compared to the first one I used in November, and they're from the same package. Presumably the ones you found were lousy to begin with.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 02-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Then the answer to my question is yes in absolute terms, but maybe I'd just better go ahead and order my refills from Germany, or the American company that imports them.
Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you that those German made Merkur blades suck compared to others such as the the Derby brand I recommended.

Quote:
Although, now that I come to think of it, I don't think limited shelf life would be the reason you couldn't find good blades. I haven't noticed the least deterioration in quality in the blade I inserted a week ago, as compared to the first one I used in November, and they're from the same package. Presumably the ones you found were lousy to begin with.
Absolutely. Blades don't go dull sitting in the package.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
You could always try a sample pack from West Coast Shaving as well. I've have very good luck ordering from there.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
You could always try a sample pack from West Coast Shaving as well. I've have very good luck ordering from there.
See post #7.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Charter Member
Just be sure you keep a styptic pencil handy.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
See post #7.

Last edited by Lazlo; 02-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I hope these related questions aren't hijacks, but:

What's the environmental impact of safety razor blades versus the lil plastic disposable ones?
-and-
Can you shave in a shower with just regular soap and a safety-style razor (cause that's how I shave, I'm a one stop shaver kind of guy - no need for the badger brush and Jeeve's help).
Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 PM
This thread has be bidding on safety razors on eBay, and looking to order some blades after I finally win. I've got a tough beard and very sensitive skin, and I hope old-school shaving might offer a solution.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I bought some recently - not for my face but for my range. They are good for getting burned on food off it. I found them at the hardware store, I believe.
I started shaving with those things. I'll stick with my four blade ones, thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Can you shave in a shower with just regular soap and a safety-style razor (cause that's how I shave
You can, but not many ordinary sops are going to have the slickness, correct amount of cushion, etc. that a soap or cream specially formulated for shaving will will give you.

Quote:
no need for the badger brush and Jeeve's help
Getting the lather just right and with the correct amount of hydration with ordinary soap will be very difficult without the badger brush, but it's your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I bought some recently - not for my face but for my range. They are good for getting burned on food off it. I found them at the hardware store, I believe.
I started shaving with those things. I'll stick with my four blade ones, thanks.
If you started shaving with the sort of blades you'd find at a hardware store and believe you'd have the same experience with the sort of blades I recommended in earlier posts, then I don't blame you for wanting to stick with overpriced multi-blade cartridges.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I hope these related questions aren't hijacks, but:

What's the environmental impact of safety razor blades versus the lil plastic disposable ones?
If you are concerned about environmental impact you will use an electric shaver. The amount of electricity it uses and the impact of producing that electricity is far, far less than what it takes to produce the hot water used to typically shave using a blade shaver.

Of course, shaving in the shower has a much greater environmental impact than shaving over the sink when running the water intermittently. However, most people keep the hot water running which is a big energy waste.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
You mean this, or this?
I have a box of 100 of the second type, which are sold as blades for the scraper I use on my stovetop.

That same product is sold for a number of uses; in the early days of my dad's journalism career, when radio editing was done by physically cutting up reel-to-reel tape and sticking it back together, that was the standard tool for that purpose.

Last edited by matt_mcl; 02-23-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, I bought myself a badger brush and some soap on Crabtree and Evelyn last night, due to this thread. I'll probably buy a double edge razor when my Mach 3 blades run out. Cool stuff, I'm excited.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You sure you're not talking about the regular single-edged razor blades like this? That's what I woudl expect to find at a hardware store. They're good for box cutters, or glass (and cooktop) scrapers. They are not to be shaved with.

A safety razor blade looks more like this. Did you actually find that in the hardware store.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Not to drag the standard arguement in here, but you may also (those of you with sensitive faces and such) want to check out straightrazors (cuthroat razors, for our UK friends).

I have been shaving with one for about a year, and I love it.

I offered to pick up a DE for my wife (what you folks have been calling a "safety razor", which is probably more correct) but she just looked at me like I was crazy. heheheh
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
Well, I bought myself a badger brush and some soap on Crabtree and Evelyn last night, due to this thread. I'll probably buy a double edge razor when my Mach 3 blades run out. Cool stuff, I'm excited.
Welcome to the club. Feel free to PM me if you're looking for recommendations. For those that are looking for a brand new razor, the most popular model is the Merkur 34C and the least expensive it was available last time I checked was here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodave View Post
You sure you're not talking about the regular single-edged razor blades like this? That's what I woudl expect to find at a hardware store. They're good for box cutters, or glass (and cooktop) scrapers. They are not to be shaved with.
You can shave with single edge blades in razors designed for them. A lot of folks on the shave forums prefer them to the double edge razors. Not sure how good the ones you linked to are (I'm doubting those found in hardware stores would work well for shaving), but the ones packaged by CVS work fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Not to drag the standard arguement in here, but you may also (those of you with sensitive faces and such) want to check out straightrazors (cuthroat razors, for our UK friends).
I had a quality straight edge sharpened by Lynn Abrams and a blade sharpened by hand just can't compared to a blade sharpened by a machine. There was a good National Geographic program called "A Closer Shave" and it was claimed that modern factory made razor blades are the sharpest things on Earth, with the edge having the width only being few hundred molecules thick. Not knocking straight edge shaving, but IME, I just can't get as close a shave with one as I can with a DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
I offered to pick up a DE for my wife (what you folks have been calling a "safety razor", which is probably more correct) but she just looked at me like I was crazy. heheheh
DE and safety razor are both correct terms. All DEs are safety razors but not all safety razors are DEs. All cartridges, disposables, Schick Injectors and DE razors are termed as safety razors because only a portion of the blade is exposed to minimize the damage one can do.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM
A friend of the family was devastated to learn the Bic regular single blade shavers are not sold
in the U.S. any more. The ones for 'sensitive' skin are, but he only wanted the regular, and threatened to grow a beard if he couldn't have them. I came across several 6 packs in a dollar store and gave them to him for his birthday, and he was thrilled.

The razor blade companies have really bent over backwards, producing all kinds of expensive gadgets with special moisture strips, thing that sing, dance, and vibrate, all kinds of dumb toys they sell to silly women. I only want to shave my damn legs! I buy a bag of cheapy pink lady razors and use those random bottles of 'body lotion' that seem to proliferate in the bathroom after Christmas as shaving lotion. Works OK for the winter, I take more care in the summer with a tortiseshell-looking thing I'ves had forever that I load up with cartridges.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
The ones for 'sensitive' skin are, but he only wanted the regular, and threatened to grow a beard if he couldn't have them.
He might want to try the Bic Metal. A lot of DE users use them when traveling as DE blades aren't allowed on carry-ons. The Bic Sensitive with the yellow that you mentioned handle is pretty popular too.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartydog View Post
If you are concerned about environmental impact you will use an electric shaver. The amount of electricity it uses and the impact of producing that electricity is far, far less than what it takes to produce the hot water used to typically shave using a blade shaver.

Of course, shaving in the shower has a much greater environmental impact than shaving over the sink when running the water intermittently. However, most people keep the hot water running which is a big energy waste.
Its a multivariable problem. Currently I jump in the shower, soap up from head to toe, and shave my face with a cheap disposable while I rinse. I doubt I would decrease my total shower time by much if I didn't shave in the shower, because I'd still be trying to wake up as well as finish the rinse cycle. I shower fast though, cause the water is boiling for coffee.

If I shave with an electric razor, or with a safety razor at the sink, I'd have to allot time for shaving as a separate activity, so that's out. I'd consider a safety razor in the shower, as long as it fits in with the rest of the system, and bonus points for using less plastic, at least.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Welcome to the club. Feel free to PM me if you're looking for recommendations...
I may do that, thanks!

I'm going to be shaving a lot more often, because I just got a new job where I'll be wearing a respirator. I think my chin is ugly, so I've kept it covered with hair since I've had the choice. It'll be cool to try out all the different blades, I think. I'm looking forward to being advanced enough to use the "Ninja Sharp" ones that Mantic59 spoke of.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I'm looking forward to being advanced enough to use the "Ninja Sharp" ones that Mantic59 spoke of.
Ahh, the Feathers. They are REALLY sharp! Definitely not to be used when in a rush, but they give a damn fine shave. Haven't bought any in a while, but they run about 50 cents a piece, which is considered expensive compared to the other blades that can be purchased on the net.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Ahh, the Feathers. They are REALLY sharp! Definitely not to be used when in a rush, but they give a damn fine shave. Haven't bought any in a while, but they run about 50 cents a piece, which is considered expensive compared to the other blades that can be purchased on the net.
Those are the ones I use when I'm using my DE. Bought a box of a hundred or so off of eBay for $27 or something. Unfortunately, I'm leaving myself enough time less and less these days and just using a two blade disposable.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Quote:
... You can shave with single edge blades in razors designed for them. ...
Do they still make those?

Somewhere I have an antique one with a shaving head that unscrews from the handle. Tucked into the handle is an attachment that screws onto the handle and holds the blade by the spine so you can use it like a straight razor. Looks cool but dangerous!

Our local Walmart stocks DE blades but the less "old school" SE injector blades, nowhere to be found. And of course the helpful staff there have no clue what a SE injector blade is.
Damn kids need to get off my beard!

CMC fnord!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Do they still make those?
Not to my knowledge, but they're easily found on eBay. Try an eBay search for "Gem safety razor" and "American safety razor."

Quote:
Somewhere I have an antique one with a shaving head that unscrews from the handle. Tucked into the handle is an attachment that screws onto the handle and holds the blade by the spine so you can use it like a straight razor. Looks cool but dangerous!
Most of them have a cover that only allows just the edge of the blade to be exposed, making them true safety razors.

Quote:
Our local Walmart stocks DE blades but the less "old school" SE injector blades, nowhere to be found. And of course the helpful staff there have no clue what a SE injector blade is.
They stopped making Injector razors in the early 90s, but Schick and a few other companies still make the blades. I believe CVS and Walgreens stocks them. Most Injector lovers really like the Ted Pella blades. I tried them and they work great.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I think shaving as a hobby is the most baffling thing that I've ever seen on the Internet.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron star View Post
I think shaving as a hobby is the most baffling thing that I've ever seen on the Internet.
Just thought you'd slip that in? I don't think many have made a "hobby" out of it. I shave because a hairless face looks best on me and since that means I have to shave regularly, having the equipment and knowledge to give my sensitive face and rough beard the best and most painless shave I can have makes sense. I've turned what used to be a painful chore into a somewhat enjoyable experience. Apply a nicely scented and slick English shave soap on your face with a quality made badger brush follow up with some strokes from a vintage Gillette and you'll see what I mean. Sure, some collect shave equipment (especially vintage items no longer being made) as a sort of hobby, but that shouldn't be any more baffling than knowing some collect stamps, coins, etc.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know. I use one of those multi-blade cartridge things, and the blade is about four months old (I only have to shave twice a week), and it never really hurts, and takes me about three minutes, so it all seems sort of pointless to me. I wouldn't want to draw that boring, but necessary, process out any more than I'd want to spend an hour taking a shit.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I wouldn't want to draw that boring, but necessary, process out any more than I'd want to spend an hour taking a shit.
It's not about drawing it out; it's about making it more comfortable and pleasant. And I can shave faster with a DE than I can with a cartridge razor as there's no clogging and less rinsing. Is stopping by to take a dump in someone's thread your usual MO?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know. I eat at McDonalds, even when their food is only four months old (I only have to eat twice a day), and it never gives me too much gas, and is ready to eat a minute after I order it, so good healthy food all seems sort of pointless to me. I wouldn't want to draw the boring, but necessary process of eating any more than I'd want to not be able to look for hobbies stranger than shaving online.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
I don't know. I use one of those multi-blade cartridge things, and the blade is about four months old (I only have to shave twice a week), and it never really hurts, and takes me about three minutes, so it all seems sort of pointless to me. I wouldn't want to draw that boring, but necessary, process out any more than I'd want to spend an hour taking a shit.
Ah, you're looking at it from the wrong point of view. Would you go to a spa or a masseuse with the mindset that it is a chore? As x-ray vision pointed out, when done properly, wet shaving feels good!

Semi-back on topic, I recently acquired a Rolls Razor and am trying to muster up the courage to use it on my face. It's worked great on my armhair so far though!

Last edited by Lazlo; 02-24-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Is stopping by to take a dump in someone's thread your usual MO?
The thread is "Do they even still sell safety razor blades in the U.S.?," not "Super Duper razor blade fan thread," so it's not quite the same thing.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
The thread is "Do they even still sell safety razor blades in the U.S.?," not "Super Duper razor blade fan thread," so it's not quite the same thing.
[Moderator Note]

However, since this is GQ, your remark was also entirely irrelevant to the OP and thus unnecessary to make.

This said, since the question in the OP has now been answered, and this has mainly drifted into opinions about shaving methods, this thread may be better off in IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Well that explains why I couldn't find it any more!

So, I bought a Merkur DE handle at the local tobacco store last week. I also bought three vintage Gillette DE handles and two GEM SE handles. I've got two brushes: one travel brush that I'm sure is badger hair, and one regular one that I bought with a soap dish and stand that may be boar hair (I don't know how to tell, but it seems stiffer). I got a ginger scented and an almond scented soap. I've been shaving every day or every other day, and my face is starting to get used to it.

I've got a question, though. Manic59's videos talk about reducing the amount of hair on each pass. But am I doing something wrong that it takes me four lather and shave cycles to get all the hair from under my jaw? It only took one with my Mach 3.

Also, my lather seems really thin compared to the lather he gets on his videos. It's thick when it's dry, but as I add just small amounts of water it seems to get thinner, instead of thicker. When I squeeze it out of the brush it's all nice and foamy with really small bubbles, but I can't get it like that on my face.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I've got a question, though. Manic59's videos talk about reducing the amount of hair on each pass. But am I doing something wrong that it takes me four lather and shave cycles to get all the hair from under my jaw? It only took one with my Mach 3.
If you had no problem with the Mach 3, then something is wrong. It could be the angle your holding the handle at, the blade you're using, the quality of the lather you mention below, etc.

Quote:
Also, my lather seems really thin compared to the lather he gets on his videos. It's thick when it's dry, but as I add just small amounts of water it seems to get thinner, instead of thicker.
Are the two soaps you purchased the same brand? You may want to try another brand (Tabac rules!). Try using both brushes if you haven't done that yet (I've never tried boar bristle, but it's supposed to be a lot harder to work with). Adding water is supposed to make the lather thinner. Are you face lathering or whipping up a lather in a bowl? I've found face lathering to be superior as less air whipped into it makes a slicker lather (and it's quicker and easier). See this.