Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Can you freeze crab cakes?

I found an awesome recipe for crab cakes on allrecipes.com. I usually buy crab in the 1 lb. containers, and it makes a lot of crab cakes. It's just my husband and myself, and I usually end up tossing the leftover cakes. I haven't tried to freeze them, and I wonder if anybody has tried. I do have a foodsaver vac.

1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Old Bay
1 tb mayo
2 tb butter, melted
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1-2 eggs
1 lb. lump crab meat

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine bread crumbs, baking powder, parsley, mustard powder, pepper, and Old Bay. Stir together mayo, butter, Worcestershire, and egg until smooth.
Fold in crab meat, then fold in bread crumb mixture until well blended.
Drop mixture from tablespoon onto greased (or parchment paper lined) baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes, then turn over and bake an additional 10 minutes.
This is the recipe, compliments of T. Kent, from allrecipes.com with my own changes. One of the reviewers suggested placing the crab cakes in muffin tins, which I think I'll try next time. I'd love to be able to keep the leftovers. Maryland dopers---advise!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Charter Member
Absolutely. I make salmon cakes and freeze them with a vacuum sealer. They keep very well. While still partially frozen, I dip them in an egg wash, then in Panko crumbs, let them thaw a bit more on a wire rack, then fry them up.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Chefguy!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Charter Member
Also, when you order crabcakes by mail, they arrive on dry ice, frozen solid.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Charter Member
Crabcakes are so easy to make, good for you and making them is so much cheaper/easier than getting them at a restaurant. I almost always am disappointed by crabcakes I get at restaurants (except for The Oceanaire...) I can get a nice can of crab claws at Trader Joe's for $8.

I just freeze them in Press n' Seal and they're still good. And I freeze single portions of my homemade cocktail sauce in icecube trays to go with! Mmm...crabcakes!
(My recipe is amazingly close to yours.)
Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Charter Member
The recipe you listed is similar to what I use, and they freeze fine. Mine are fried in a skillet with about 1/4" of oil rather than baked. I like that little bit of crispy stuff that forms.