Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM
How should a school deal with pantsing?

Recently, an 18 year old male (de)pantsed a 16 year old female during school hours and on school property in view of other students. In your opinion, what should the school have done? Suspend the student? Expel the student? Call the police? My son (who was a witness) thinks that I'm overreacting when I try to express the seriousness of the situation.

What say you, Dopers?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
An 18-year-old male should be charged by the police with (at least) physical assault.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
At 18 years old he is likely on his last term before graduation, and with only a couple months left to boot. Unless a suspensin puts him in serious danger of not graduating, or threatens a scholarship or something, then I would argue against attempting to use it as a disciplinary tool here.

The discipline must be explicitly tailored to the individual. At 18 he is free to drop out of school and work at wal-mart if he so desires, and nothing the school does can stop that if that's his planned course of action. However, if he had planned to go on to college, I would think that perhaps a talk with the college board of admissions might be a way to go.

Getting the police involved also might be appropriate, considering that he is supposedly an adult now. I hesitate at this one because high-school life is high-school, and immaturity runs pretty rampant there. There is iften a big difference betweent he guy who hasn't graduated and the guy who has, at least in terms of the things he is willing to do.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
The discipline must be explicitly tailored to the individual.

Getting the police involved also might be appropriate, considering that he is supposedly an adult now. I hesitate at this one because high-school life is high-school, and immaturity runs pretty rampant there.
This is the way that I'm leaning. Discipline must take into account the nature of the infraction.

Is this a guy who is a regular bully, getting into trouble constantly, and this is just one more way for him to attack and demean his classmates?

Is this a generally well behaved student who acted immaturely and did something that was stupid?

We insulate our children from the real world by putting them in tightly controlled school situations. I think it's a bad idea to automatically treat them like adults when we spend the whole school day treating them like children.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Suspend? Probably. Expel? Call the police? really? What purpose would that serve?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Discipline must take into account the nature of the infraction.
The nature of the infraction is that an 18YO male pulled down a 16YO female's pants in front of their peers. Whether you call him a boy or a man, if he doesn't know by know that forcibly removing a girl's clothing for his amusement and/or her humilation is not okay he should be taught, preferably via a suspension.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Enderw24 - Why should he get away with something at school that would have the cops called on him if he did it elsewhere? If he randomly pulled down the pants of some person on the street, he'd be charged with assault. Kids should be less vulnerable at school than elsewhere, not more.

StG
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
This is a way different case than if the students were younger. An 18yo pantsing a 16yo girl is on the spectrum of sexual assault, and needs to be dealt with seriously. Suspension and a call to the cops is in order, IMO, to start with. If he's young and immature, he needs a lesson in adulthood. If he's a bully, he needs serious consequences.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
What ever happened to giving people a good talking to and a few detentions? Is suspension now the minimum punishment?
BANNED
It's a sexual assault on a minor. What would happen if a man pulled down the pants of a random teenaged girl at the mall? Why should this be treated any differently? Imagine someone randomly doing that to your wife or your mother (or you, if you're a woman). Throw the book at the jerk.
An 18 year-old (adult) male forcibly pulling pants off an unwilling 16 year-old (minor) female?

Hell, over in the Pit we're up to something like 5 pages over an employee touching a co-worker with his elbow!

He's old enough to know better, and old enough to bear the consequences. Of course a lot would depend on all of the circumstances. And - I believe - the "victim" ought to have considerable say in the severity of the response. But assuming she was an unwilling participant, it is certainly a battery - an unlawful touching. I believe suspensions are appropriate for many other batteries - such as fights, so I'd have no problem with one here.

Given the guy-on-girl nature it seems there may also be a sexual harrassment/assault element as well. Wouldn't bother me to see the police involved - assuming the girl desired it.

For those who think no significant discipline is warranted - what response would you deem appropriate if I did the same to a female stranger on the street?

If some guy did this to one of my daughters, you'd better believe I would be demanding some pretty severe response - as well as wanting to kick the shit out of the bastard.

Last edited by Dinsdale; 04-28-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it's probably appropriate to give him a suspension at the very least and perhaps even charge him with some form of assault. Neither the suspension or the assault charge should prevent him from completing the school year. His actions have consequences and if it puts scholarships in danger then that's the way the cookie crumbles. You make your bed and you lie in it.

Odesio
Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
Suspend? Probably. Expel? Call the police? really? What purpose would that serve?
Calling the police is probably the lightest of the possibilities, I'd say that (well, depending on the area and the officer's disposition) they might just bring down the fiery justice of a stern talking to, which can still be quite effective at 18 (or so my friends who have been in similar situations have said). The obvious problem is if it backfires and becomes a full blown sexual harassment issue.

Really though, in late April in his Senior year? Unless you want to really harm some of his chances with stuff pretty much the only things that would be appropriate would be barring him from certain extracurriculars (i.e. if they haven't had their Prom yet, bar him from going, no yearbook signing parties and so on) and giving him some "free time" punishments (think detention tailored for a senior, just stuff like picking up trash, helping to record grades, mandatory study halls or stuff like that).

This is all assuming he's otherwise a pretty good kid, if he's been like this for the entirely of his high school attendance suspension or talks with admission boards may be in order.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5078 View Post
What ever happened to giving people a good talking to and a few detentions? Is suspension now the minimum punishment?
Detention is for being late for class or cheating on a test. Sexual assault goes beyond just breaking school rules. Forget suspension. It should be an automatic expulsion (and that doesn't even count the criminal consequences).
Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Given the guy-on-girl nature it seems there may also be a sexual harrassment/assault element as well. Wouldn't bother me to see the police involved - assuming the girl desired it.
I see a big problem with this. What if she's pressured by her peers to keep police involvement at a minimum? "C'mon, don't be a bitch. You'll ruin his life over something stupid."

Odesio
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
PotLuck, I can certainly support a suspension, even in the most charitable of circumstances. I think the real question is, do you call the cops and get the student charged with a sexual assault that gets them put on the sexual offender registry, potentially turning this incident into the single most important event (in a bad way) of this person's entire life.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
My son (who was a witness) thinks that I'm overreacting when I try to express the seriousness of the situation.
So, does your son think this was okay?
Would he be okay if someone did it to his sister? To you?
Don't want to over-react, but if he does, you really might want to put in the effort to convince him otherwise.

Could perhaps use a few more details. I can imagine factors that might make this less serious, largely depending on the girl's behavior/response, the setting, etc. For example - if it was "wear pajamas to school day," kids were horsing around, and she was wearing boxers under her PJ pants. IMO that would be a completely different situation than if she was normaly attired, just standing by her locker there and he pulled down her pants to reveal her underwear.

Hell, I think a suspension might be merited just n the basis of stupidity! 18 is certainly old enough to know to keep your hands to yourself!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
A 3 day suspension or week of detention is about the max this warrants.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree with calling the police. I think a suspension for the rest of the year would also be in order. People get suspended for a lot less. And if he did that in any job he had, they would fire him for that so fast his head would spin. He can argue for leniency based on his character in a court of law.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I see a big problem with this. What if she's pressured by her peers to keep police involvement at a minimum? "C'mon, don't be a bitch. You'll ruin his life over something stupid."

Odesio
Not at all what I was getting at.

What I was thinking was if the girl part of a group who were all in on some horseplay, neither the girl nor any other students were really wasn't upset about what happened, but faculty caught wind of it and decided to react. In such a situation I would be less supportive of the administration initiating legal action.

Of course if she was a very private person, and the school bully decided to embarrass her - completely different situation IMO.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
BANNED
Fascinating that so many people don't see this as a big deal. Can I safely assume that it's cool for me to rip your daughter's/wives'/sisters'/own bathing suits off at the beach? Because you wouldn't want to ruin my life or anything, would you? I'm sure a good talking to would suffice.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 04-28-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
What was the girls response? Screaming bloody murder? Coy giggling? We need to know if she could have been in on a joke.

ETA.

Last edited by Booker57; 04-28-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: slow typing
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
For those who think no significant discipline is warranted - what response would you deem appropriate if I did the same to a female stranger on the street
Honestly? I think the appropriate response would be to stare at the offender like he's an idiot en masse until he feels really, really uncomfortable.

If someone did it to someone I was related to or knew well? To be honest I'd probably do the same thing to the offender (maybe muttering "moron" as well), and then proceed to lightheartedly tease the victim for the rest of the day (unless they took it really badly, then I'd just not mention it again).

Pantsing is an incredibly stupid prank, it's outdated and completely relies on the old humor of underwear/bare bottoms being funny that most people left behind at 12. It's embarrassing for all of 15 seconds and then it's over, and it generally says more about the prankster than harms the prankee. It's nowhere near the level of holding people headfirst out of 2nd story windows or swirlies. Now, if this was happening regularly, or with some sort of motive other than "for the lulz" it'd warrant a more serious response, but as a standalone, isolated, prank it's pretty weak.

Last edited by Jragon; 04-28-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
Can I safely assume that it's cool for me to rip your daughter's/wives'/sisters'/own bathing suits off at the beach? Because you wouldn't want to ruin my life or anything, would you? I'm sure a good talking to would suffice.
I dunno, are you and my wife really good friends, and you're getting her back for the time she pantsed you at the mall?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Recently, an 18 year old male (de)pantsed a 16 year old female during school hours and on school property in view of other students. In your opinion, what should the school have done? Suspend the student? Expel the student? Call the police? My son (who was a witness) thinks that I'm overreacting when I try to express the seriousness of the situation.

What say you, Dopers?
When I saw the thread title, I came in here swinging, as normally its something 6-year-olds do, and I assumed this was an overreaction.

Tbh, I'd leave it up to the girl with how far she wishes to push it.

Last edited by Laudenum; 04-28-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
PotLuck, I can certainly support a suspension, even in the most charitable of circumstances. I think the real question is, do you call the cops and get the student charged with a sexual assault that gets them put on the sexual offender registry, potentially turning this incident into the single most important event (in a bad way) of this person's entire life.
If this kid is a bully who has been regularly harassing other students for a long time, especially if that harassment has often had a sexual element to it, then yes, that's exactly what should happen.

If this is a first offense or horseplay that got out of hand, something less serious but still serious enough to get the kid's attention and make it clear to him that what he did wasn't acceptable should be done.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
hes in HIGH SCHOOL as a student
he is not an adult under these circumstances, if you think otherwise check his rights as a student.
hes treated like a child all day
and surrounded by other children all day
punish him, make sure he understands how insanely stupid this was and the consequences ofr that kind of thing in the real world, and maybe point out that high school isnt the real world.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Not my thread, but I thought it might be interesting if folks added their gender, age, and perhaps whether they had children/daughters.

I'm 48, male, married with 3 kids: girl (21), boy(19), girl(17)

Will also be interested should KRM come back with more facts.

If one of my daughters were to come home upset over something like this, I would have a hard time restraining myself from beating the crap out of the kid. If she mentioned it in passing that it was not big deal, that would affect my response. I also would be less inclined to do the kid harm if he were facing serious repercussions.

My guess is that some women - maybe most - might think this no big deal. But I'm also pretty certain a number of women/girls would be extremely upset by this. Hell, most guys would be pretty upset about being publicly pantsed. And the person being aggressive towards someone does't get to say how their victim ought to react
Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I think it's probably appropriate to give him a suspension at the very least and perhaps even charge him with some form of assault. Neither the suspension or the assault charge should prevent him from completing the school year. His actions have consequences and if it puts scholarships in danger then that's the way the cookie crumbles. You make your bed and you lie in it.

Odesio
So, what?

The kid ends up working at Walmart for the rest of his life because he did a stupid thing at a particular point in time? If he had waited a few months then the consequences would have been much lighter, and not ruined his life?

He deserves to be punished, but not to lose his whole future - no-one benefits from a young life ruined over a stupid prank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Enderw24 - Why should he get away with something at school that would have the cops called on him if he did it elsewhere? If he randomly pulled down the pants of some person on the street, he'd be charged with assault. Kids should be less vulnerable at school than elsewhere, not more.

StG
I think he needs a wakeup call that this is completely inappropriate. If, as someone mentioned above, this was a job he'd be fired from it immediately. I completely agree with that. But to expel him for this isn't at all comparable. If what we''re talking about one really stupid decision then the goal is to punish him in such a way as to let him know how stupid it was and ensure it never happens again, not destroying his educational chances.

And getting the police involved? 18 to 16 year old is within many jurisdictions' window of an exception to statutory rape. In other words, the law considers the "adult" close enough to kid age that he be treated as a kid. This won't necessarily be the same in this case, though. So to have him face the very real possibility of being branded a child predator for the rest of his life does not seem like a fair outcome. I'm sorry that the system is so haywire to have come to that. I really don't like that I'm advocating ignoring getting the law involved because the law is may be completely out of touch with reality.

My vote still goes with suspension. If I hear a better alternative that (metaphorically) slaps the kid upside the face, I'd love to hear it.
Quote:
Fascinating that so many people don't see this as a big deal. Can I safely assume that it's cool for me to rip your daughter's/wives'/sisters'/own bathing suits off at the beach? Because you wouldn't want to ruin my life or anything, would you? I'm sure a good talking to would suffice.
Dio, how would you feel if the situation was reversed and it was an 18 y.o female pantsing a 16 y.o male in full view of everyone? Would you still consider it to be a big deal?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
BANNED
Why should the girl have fewer rights because she's in high school?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
If this is a first offense or horseplay that got out of hand, something less serious but still serious enough to get the kid's attention and make it clear to him that what he did wasn't acceptable should be done.
That seems about right to me.

Labeling this as a sexual assault seems extreme to me. It was horseplay that went too far, but it was still horseplay. Then again, we now live in a world where peeing behind a WalMart earns you the same legal status as a rapist.

In case many of you have forgotten, seniors act a little loco, especially at this time of year. The condition usually clears up by the following October.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
At the very least the idiot needs to be made extremely aware that, in the eyes of the law, he is an adult and better start acting like it.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy8467 View Post
Dio, how would you feel if the situation was reversed and it was an 18 y.o female pantsing a 16 y.o male in full view of everyone? Would you still consider it to be a big deal?
Yes. It doesn't carry the same level of physical inimidation, but it's still humiliating, and it's still an assault by an adult on a minor.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
If this kid is a bully who has been regularly harassing other students for a long time, especially if that harassment has often had a sexual element to it, then yes, that's [a sexual assault charge] exactly what should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24
My vote still goes with suspension. If I hear a better alternative that (metaphorically) slaps the kid upside the face, I'd love to hear it.
What Anne Neville and Enderw24 said.

On preview: tdn said "seniors act a little loco" at this time of year. Yeah, I remember that. It usually involved the students doing stuff that would usually get them expelled, and the teachers looked the other way. If pantsing now qualifies as harmless fun that minors should endure until the seniors graduate, then yikes.

Last edited by PotLuck; 04-28-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Yes. It doesn't carry the same level of physical inimidation, but it's still humiliating, and it's still an assault by an adult on a minor.
Ok, fair enough.

Personally I think that getting the police involved is a little over the top, but we don't really know the circumstances surrounding it so maybe we aren't in the best position to judge it.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
BANNED
Assault and battery at a minimum. Sexual assault etc. Felonies.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I was intentionally vague in the OP because I was also interested to see if people's views differed depending on the male's history. I won't go into detail but I will say that he has been in trouble in the past and some kids regard him as a bully, others do not, my son included. In his defense, he has been through more personally than any child deserves. FWIW, he's a junior.

I'm not certain how the girl reacted. I know that she did cry but my son indicated that some of that might have come from her reaction to an administrator who also witnessed it (the administrator was indignant to say the least).
Old 04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Why should the girl have fewer rights because she's in high school?
No, but people regularly find actions by members of their peer group acceptable, that would be entirely unacceptable if done by a stranger.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
BANNED
It doesn't sound like your son is an entirely impartial witness.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Its sexual assault by an adult on a minor. From here its a matter of following the law. When the law gets broken, the school administrators don't get to decide whether to cover it up or not. The district attorney or whomever gets to decide whether to prosecute.

I can't believe we'd have a zero tolerance policy in place for drugs, alcohol or bringing a pocket knife into school, but we'd have a non zero tolerance policy for sexual assault. If you come to school drunk, the only person you hurt is yourself. And a pocket knife in your pocket isn't hurting anyone. Maybe zero tolerance policies themselves are wrong, but they are in place for other infractions that are far less hurtful than this.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Quote:
I won't go into detail but I will say that he has been in trouble in the past and some kids regard him as a bully, others do not, my son included. In his defense, he has been through more personally than any child deserves.
I find this curious.
Who considers him a bully - the kids he has bullied?
And why do others not consider him one - because they personally ave not been bullied?
Or because they think the people who DO consider him a bully deserved what they got, over-reacted, etc?

Sorry he has had a rough go so far, but I really wouldn't give a shit how bad his childhood has been if he made my girls cry.

Reminds me of a situation where my kid was suspended in middle school for punching a kid. The kid in question had "behavioral" issues well known to the school. He had been verbally hassling my kid for years, and we had requested that they not be in the same classes. But that would disadvantage the poor darling, wouldn't it? One day my kid decided he was tired of hearing his mom called a whore (that's the shortened, cleaned up version), and smacked the shit.

When the school called me, I said I wouldn't contest the suspension, but I wrote the school and the school board a letter informing them that I would not tolerate my kid having to be subjected to this kid's abuse again, and that they needed to take steps to prevent it or I would take legal action.

If nothing else, this kid needs to be put on alert that this is unacceptable behavior. And if he refuses or is unable to restrain himself, then he ought to be removed from the school.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermom View Post
An 18yo pantsing a 16yo girl is on the spectrum of sexual assault, [...]
Quote:
It's a sexual assault on a minor. [...]
Quote:
Sexual assault goes beyond [...]
Quote:
[...] charged with a sexual assault that gets them put on the sexual offender registry, [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
[...] statutory rape. [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone
Sexual assault etc. Felonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa
Its sexual assault by an adult on a minor
Jeez, everyone's throwing around such strong language. People, this is NOT "sexual assault" or "statutory rape." It is, at most, simple assault. "Sexual assault" usually means a rape that was missing some element of a traditional rape. Let's look at an example of a sexual assault statute.
Quote:
Wisconsin Statutes (2005)
940.225: Sexual assault:
  1. First degree sexual assault - Class B felony [60-year maximum]... whoever does any of the following is guilty ...
    1. Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent and causes pregnancy or great bodily harm to that person.
    2. Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse ... without consent ... by use or threat of use of a dangerous weapon...
  2. Second degree sexual assault - Class C felony [40 years]
    1. Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent of that person by use or threat of force or violence.
    2. Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse ... without consent ... and causes injury ... of a sexual or reproductive organ.
    3. Has sex ... with a person who suffers from a mental illness [which renders that person incapable of consenting]
    4. ...
  3. Third degree sexual assault - Class G felony [ten-year maximum]: ... has sexual intercourse with a person without the consent of that person.
948.02: Sexual assault of a child - [the cut-off age is 13 for the victim for Class B felonies, and 15 for Class C]
If you think the kid here has the same degree of culpability as a man who rapes a woman and causes her great bodily harm, or as a man who rapes a woman at knifepoint, then you need some perspective. Throwing around such charged language is a childish debate tactic, and is an insult to actual victims of sexual assault.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault and abuse is any type of sexual activity that you do not agree to, including:

inappropriate touching
vaginal, anal, or oral penetration
sexual intercourse that you say no to
rape
attempted rape
child molestation

Sexual assault can be verbal, visual, or anything that forces a person to join in unwanted sexual contact or attention. Examples of this are voyeurism (when someone watches private sexual acts), exhibitionism (when someone exposes him/herself in public), incest (sexual contact between family members), and sexual harassment. It can happen in different situations, by a stranger in an isolated place, on a date, or in the home by someone you know.

Rape is a common form of sexual assault. It is committed in many situations — on a date, by a friend or an acquaintance, or when you think you are alone. Educate yourself on “date rape” drugs. They can be slipped into a drink when a victim is not looking. Never leave your drink unattended — no matter where you are. Try to always be aware of your surroundings. Date rape drugs make a person unable to resist assault and can cause memory loss so the victim doesn’t know what happened.
http://womenshealth.gov/FAQ/sexual-assault.cfm#1

Are you saying that its perfectly legal to "pants" someone? If it isn't, then there might be another word we can use. If it is, it sounds like we just don't do enough "pantsing" in our society.

Last edited by Dangerosa; 04-28-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post

Are you saying that its perfectly legal to "pants" someone? If it isn't, then there might be another word we can use. If it is, it sounds like we just don't do enough "pantsing" in our society.
As I said, it is assault. Or, probably battery, if you want to get into particulars.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post

By this list, it's sexual assault to say "Look at Janie's boobs!" If you don't mind my saying, lumping that into the same category of crime as a 10 hour gang rape kind of makes the category a bit too broad to be useful.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
If the boy is not sent to prison and made to register as a sex offender, is it likely that he'll go on to become a serial rapist?

Is the girl likely to need decades of therapy over this?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Christ! Are you people for real?

A high school kid pulled down the pants of another high school kid. This is not a crime and no one would give a shit the next day unless she was wearing crotchless panties. The fact that the most important piece of information, how the girl reacted, is unknown makes this discussion completely pointless. I knew plenty of girls in high school who would have had a fit if someone outside their social circle did that but would have been totally OK with one of their friends doing it in the last few weeks of senior year.

This is a one hour detention, no more no less.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
The girl was crying. Her clothing was forcibly removed by a male 2 years older than herself in front of her classmates. Does anyone seriously think this was not a traumatic event for her.

I think the male adult (that's what he is) should be charged with assault. If he had been caught doing this anywhere but at school he would already have been arrested.

Now for the hypotheticals. In this day and age of every kid over the age of 7 carrying a cell phone capable of taking pictures, how long is it going to take for this girl's photo to be up on the web. Would that change anyone's mind?