Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Mitsubishi 3000GT - crap?

I'm currently in the market for a new car. My criteria are basically that it be a coupe and have leather seats, although I am also considering a BMW 7-series that's in excellent condition for the price. I was all set to buy a red 2001 Prelude that was for sale in Indianapolis, but unbelievably, it sold, in the one day in between when I arranged to have it inspected by a mechanic and when that was supposed to happen. (God dammit!) Now I'm looking around for other cars; one that I found was this 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT. It LOOKS nice and the price is a tiny bit over my budget but still do-able - the question is, is it total crap? Because from what I've read, the 3000GT was supposed to have been kind of a lousy car, and also very expensive to have repaired because of the esoteric electronics.

I could get a used Prelude or Integra for several thousand dollars less (although there are none with leather seats available for sale in the area right now, to my intense frustration.) That Mitsubishi looks beautiful but will I regret buying it? Anyone have experience owning one of these things?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Charter Member
If you insist on a older coupe, you might want to be on the look out for older Toyota Supras.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Charter Member
Also, I'm sure you realize that the 3000GT is identical to the Dodge Stealth. That might help you locate some reviews and owner experiences.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM
The VR4's were a very complex car, technologically. They could be configured with an active suspension which lowered the car while at speed, a spoiler that changed angle of attack, all wheel drive, and some other pretty nifty doodads that escape me at the moment.

So it's important to determine if this was a car configured that way, and something to keep in mind when considering repairs in the future. Special shocks that change ride height will naturally be expensive to repair, but I think you could order a car without them. A spoiler that doesn't change angle doesn't really affect things much. All Wheel Drive might be desireable, depending on the weather you get. There's also some expectations with having the turbo V-6 in the top of the line car.

But if the car is all functional, a top of the line sports car will DRIVE like a top of the line sports car.

I had a roommate that owned the mid-level Dodge stealth. It had the non-turbo V-6 and with exhaust and intake mods would _scoot_. It was a fun car to drive. Since it didn't have all the active crap and was front wheel drive, it'd still get around pretty good, and didn't have the techy stuff to break.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I had a V-6 non-turbo Stealth for years and I loved it. It was very well-made and reliable and a hoot (yes, hoot) to drive. Repairs weren't any more expensive than my previous car (ironically, a Honda Prelude, though older than your '01)

Of course I always got smoked by my buddy who had a twin turbo 3000GT VR-4 Spyder (hardtop convertible) that he'd sank about $20K into upgrades. I think it had around 650 bhp when he finally sold it. Bastard.

IRRC, another perk to the VR-4 was that the rear tires would rotate slightly during turns, allowing for far superior cornering.

Are you planning to modify it at all, or are you keeping it mostly stock? I know for a fact the 3000's are tailor-made for customization.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spoonful of Awesome View Post
I had a V-6 non-turbo Stealth for years and I loved it. It was very well-made and reliable and a hoot (yes, hoot) to drive. Repairs weren't any more expensive than my previous car (ironically, a Honda Prelude, though older than your '01)

Of course I always got smoked by my buddy who had a twin turbo 3000GT VR-4 Spyder (hardtop convertible) that he'd sank about $20K into upgrades. I think it had around 650 bhp when he finally sold it. Bastard.

IRRC, another perk to the VR-4 was that the rear tires would rotate slightly during turns, allowing for far superior cornering.

Are you planning to modify it at all, or are you keeping it mostly stock? I know for a fact the 3000's are tailor-made for customization.
ahhh yes, 4WheelSteering, another techno-bauble I'd forgotten.

(300zx's had it too)
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spoonful of Awesome View Post
the 3000's are tailor-made for customization.
That is a beautiful contradiction.

ETA: Argent, it wasn't me that bought the Acura. I swear!

Last edited by NinetyWt; 05-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
The Mitsi GT is a hardcore sports car. I remember when I had my Celica GT4 way back in the mid ninties it was on my dream list (but way out of my budget)

I have no specific experience with the car, except to say that a Prelude is not even in the same ball park when it comes to performance.

The only piece of advice I would have is to have the car checked VERY carefully. IME, cars that are meant to be driven hard (as the Mitsi GT is) often are driven hard, consequently they may wear quicker than expected.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
That price is a bit steep.

For $9k, you should be able to get a perfect '99, and that one isn't. See here.
Quote:
The Mitsi GT is a hardcore sports car. I remember when I had my Celica GT4 way back in the mid ninties it was on my dream list (but way out of my budget)

I have no specific experience with the car, except to say that a Prelude is not even in the same ball park when it comes to performance.
The one he's looking at is the 160 hp non-turbo V6. It's not a hardcore sports car, and it's no more powerful (and significantly heavier) than a '99 Prelude 2.3.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 05-10-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
This one looks to be a better value for the money. It's further away, though.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
That's more like it.

I had forgotten that the non-turbo version is front-wheel-drive.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. My dad and I are driving up to Huntington on Wed. to check out the GT. It has a Carfax report according to the dealership ad, which is a plus. If it checks out, I think I'm going to go for it. I have always loved the way that car looks, it seems much more comfortable on the inside than the Integra I was eyeing, and lower miles as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
The Mitsi GT is a hardcore sports car.
No it's not. I always thought of it as a working man's Dodge Viper. That said, it was one of my dream cars when I was a teenager. The only concern I have about those '90s Stealths/3000GTs is the same concern I had about the '80s RX7s in the '90s (and which was borne out by several friends buying them): the people who bought them originally drove the ever-living fuck out of them. Be careful, and have it inspected by someone who really knows their shit, and I still recommend the Honda, but enjoy it if you buy it. The rare ones I see that are in good shape are still beautiful cars.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM
I always thought the GT was about 9,000 times cooler looking than the Eclipse. I knever got the hype about the Eclipses. The earlier ones look kind of cool but the newer ones are truly hideous, real jellybean-like abominations that look about as aerodynamic as a sofa cushion. The GT has a really unique style that truly stands out among Japanese sport coupes. I know it sounds strange but it always reminded me a little bit of a cross between a fourth-generation Chevy Camaro and a Ferrari, looks-wise. The people who designed it at least had a good aesthetic sense.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 AM
If I were Jay Leno I would by a 1999 3000 GT. It's a really cool car both visually and technically. I think you should plan of being married at the hip if you buy one and by hip I mean your wallet.

Last edited by Magiver; 05-11-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 AM
So it's a high maintenance vehicle then? Even the non-turbo base model?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
The earlier ones look kind of cool but the newer ones are truly hideous, real jellybean-like abominations that look about as aerodynamic as a sofa cushion.
The Eclipse actually has an exceptional Coefficient of drag. That jellybean is the ideal shape for aerodynamics and it's a pretty clean design without a lot of grooves and edges. The Ford Probe is one of the most aerodynamic cars ever made and it's fairly similar to the Eclipse. The various intakes and moldings on the 3000GT make it noisier and less efficient and the tail fin is terrible from that standpoint.

I do like the looks of the 3000GT, but the Eclipse look much more aerodynamic. It might be boring looking, but boring tends to be the ideal when it comes to drag.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Quote:
So it's a high maintenance vehicle then? Even the non-turbo base model?
It's a 10 year old sports car. My opinion of it is second hand from enthusiasts. I wouldn't say it's any worse than any other 10 year old sports car. Look under the hood and decide how thrilled you would be to work on it. I would buy it as a 2nd car in a heartbeat. I have an 88 Turbocoupe sitting in my garage that was easy to work on and I foolishly tried to swap out a modified V8 with a tubular front end. It was truly an easy car to work on and I could have dumped the expensive brake system and shocks with non-turbo parts if need be. Now it's an unfinished project. But I digress.

I'm sure there are clubs for this car so I would recommend that you hunt one of them down and ask what to expect in repairs, and how much they cost. If you don't get the turbo and it doesn't have all wheel drive/steering then you're down to the transmission and engine.

Last edited by Magiver; 05-11-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 AM
I guess what I'm wondering is, is the regular standard non-turbo base model of the GT a good, robust daily driver? I'm not planning on modifying this vehicle or racing it or doing anything else that enthusiasts do, just driving it around town and enjoying all the heads that it turns. I certainly don't plan on driving it hard and abusing it, so if it's in good shape already, it shouldn't be falling apart or failing at inopportune times. (As if there's any such thing as an opportune time for a car to fail.) So it's not going to be a project or anything.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm weighing this GT versus an Integra. I feel like the Integra might be a little bit too small, and not quite comfortable enough. The GT looks more comfortable on the inside and a little roomier. Hopefully I can test drive both.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering is, is the regular standard non-turbo base model of the GT a good, robust daily driver?
Generally speaking, no performance sports car is a robust daily driver. 10 year old used ones triply so. Whether it's a 3000GT/Stealth, a Camaro, a Mustand or a Porsche Boxster you are going to be spending time and money keeping it up. A car like that is a enthusiasts or hobby car and you need to brace yourself for the fact that you will be repairing it more than any other used car. That's the price you pay for "turning heads".

You have 2 questions to answer. 1) Is turning heads worth dealing with the near-certain cost and hassle of owning a sports car? If the previous answer is yes then, 2) is the 3000GT more reliable and/or more head turning than other used sports cars?

Quote:
I'm weighing this GT versus an Integra. I feel like the Integra might be a little bit too small, and not quite comfortable enough. The GT looks more comfortable on the inside and a little roomier. Hopefully I can test drive both.
What year Integra? An Acura/Honda will almost certainly be a more reliable than a Mitsubishi in general terms. My ex had an Integra and it held up really well, I can't remember the last time I saw a 3000GT still on the road.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 AM
In this case it is a 1999 GT3000 with 109,052 miles, versus a 2000 Integra with 135,000 miles.

You're right about the sports cars but I'm under the impression that the regular non-turbo base model of the GT is not really a high performance sports car, so it is much simpler and less expensive to maintain - is this correct? Because if it isn't, that would be a big downside and I might go with something else.

I'm also looking at a Lexus SC400 coupe - red, V8, loaded, looks pretty slick, Somewhere around 6 grand (it's a 1995.) You know anything about that?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Charter Member
Man, I was going to link to a Toyota Supra for sale at a comparable price because it was an exceptionally nice car that my friend owned and played with, but damn! Those things are going for $30k USED.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Yeah I just talked to a Toyota dealer the other day, he told me the Supra is now a highly collectible model so it's skyrocketed in price.

The Integra is selling for so cheap that part of me suspects it has a lot of problems, although the guy who is selling it swears that it's in excellent shape (of course he's going to say that) - on the outside, at any rate, it looks good,and the leather inside looks pretty nice. It's going for about $4000 which seems too low to really get a quality car for, so I kind of worry that it's got skeletons under the hood.

The Mitsubishi has far fewer miles, it's more expensive, it looks just about brand new in the photos - it's about two and a half ours away though, so I want to know as much as possible before my dad and I make that trek. I wonder if this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonful of Awesome
is true? If so, it would lead me to believe that the regular non-turbo GT isn't the maintenance-intensive vehicle that the more powerful version may be.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
In this case it is a 1999 GT3000 with 109,052 miles, versus a 2000 Integra with 135,000 miles.
All things being equal the Interga would be my choice. The Interga is intended to be more of a daily driver than the 3000GT and will probably be much better in the gas mileage dept. My ex's was on the smallish side, but the interior space was well used. The 3000GT is a bigger car but all that space is in the front and back, not in the cabin.

Quote:
You're right about the sports cars but I'm under the impression that the regular non-turbo base model of the GT is not really a high performance sports car, so it is much simpler and less expensive to maintain - is this correct? Because if it isn't, that would be a big downside and I might go with something else.
Generally, no. The non-turbo base model is less of a performance car than the VR-4, but that's not really the point. Yes, you won't need to worry about replacing a turbo booster and a high-tech suspension system but that's not necessarily where the problems come in. Whoever owned even a base model 3000GT probably bought it as a toy and drove it accordingly. The engine was revved hard and the brakes were used up, god knows what shape the tranny is in. It shared the vast majority of components with the sportier version and those components were designed to be light and fast, not durable.

If anything, by buying the base model you are getting the problems of a used sports car without getting the real benefits on the road or track.

Quote:
I'm also looking at a Lexus SC400 coupe - red, V8, loaded, looks pretty slick, Somewhere around 6 grand (it's a 1995.) You know anything about that?
A friend in HS owned one of those, probably the same year. It was a great car, not as much fun as a Supra or a 3000GT but much better comforts and features. I can't say how durable they were though. Generally Toyotas (Lexuses) back then were very sturdy cars.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Well I shot an email (through the contact form on the car-search website - the only way possible) to the guy selling the SC400. I hope he responds to me; the thing looks damn nice. (I'm wondering if I should even be posting these links because I'm giving these ads more exposure to potential buyers, but here it is.) It's a little annoying that there's no phone number listed for the seller - I'd really rather call him. My leeriness of dealing with anyone advertising "custom break caliburs" not withstanding.

Last edited by Argent Towers; 05-11-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yeah I just talked to a Toyota dealer the other day, he told me the Supra is now a highly collectible model so it's skyrocketed in price.
A different ex of mine had the Mark II Supra in college and it was pretty cool. She said that back in 1996 or so some guy pulled up alongside her at a light and offered her like $20k for it on the spot. A 10 year old used car, I can only imagine what that's worth now if it's still in that good of shape. My college buddy had the Mark IV and it was a dream, I could have bought it off him when my Mustang crapped out and he was upgrading to a SUV for the kids. Wish I'd have follwed through on that now.

Quote:
The Integra is selling for so cheap that part of me suspects it has a lot of problems, although the guy who is selling it swears that it's in excellent shape (of course he's going to say that) - on the outside, at any rate, it looks good,and the leather inside looks pretty nice. It's going for about $4000 which seems too low to really get a quality car for, so I kind of worry that it's got skeletons under the hood.
Be very careful doing this kind of price math. Price means very little when it comes to used car quality. The 3000GT is probably more expensive because it's a much rarer car and a much more "pure" sports car. The Integra is a more conservative design and a much, much more common vehicle. It might be a better value simply because it's seen as just a used car while the 3000GT is seen as a collectible, like those Supras.

If you are really considering the Integra get it checked out my a mechanic and let that be your guide. The used car market is great right now because the new car dealers are slashing prices due to the economy. You can get some steals so long as you aren't looking for a collectible. $4k is actually a pretty high price for a 10 year old used car. My 10 year old Olds Alero with only 75k miles would probably barely fetch $2500 on the market.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I appreciate this advice. I really do. Given that I have an $8000 budget here, that gives me a good deal of options so I'm somewhat leery of only spending half of that when I could be getting something of higher quality for a higher price (even though I know that *could* is totally hypothetical here.) HERE is the listing for the Integra - it looks pretty damn good in those pictures considering the age, especially on the inside. I know it says "helogen" and "cruse control" but I spoke to the seller on the phone and he seems to be Indian so I'll give him a pass for that. (Not to imply that Indians are stupid or something, just that English seems to not be his first language.) Seems like a legit dude, at least over the phone, and it's a hell of a lot easier to drive to Indy than it is to Huntington, so it'd save me a trip.

Ultimately it's going to come down to whether or not I like it when I test drive it, because it seems pretty small in those pictures and I'm used to large cars with a lot of room. But hey, maybe it's time for a change. The backseat seems pretty useless but I don't plan on having passengers back there very often.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
is true? If so, it would lead me to believe that the regular non-turbo GT isn't the maintenance-intensive vehicle that the more powerful version may be.
Well, Spoonful of Awesome doesn't say how long ago this was but I'm guessing it's not that recent. His not having maintenance issues with a 6 year old Stealth that still had readily available parts has little impact on what it will cost to own a 12 year old Stealth that's been out of production for almost a decade now.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Yes, good point.

(You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about buying used cars. I've bought a lot of used vehicles in the past, including 4x4s and a motorcycle, over the years, and all of them wound up eventually becoming money pits because I didn't get them checked out thoroughly enough before purchasing. My dad coming along this time should help with that, though.)
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yeah, I appreciate this advice. I really do. Given that I have an $8000 budget here, that gives me a good deal of options so I'm somewhat leery of only spending half of that when I could be getting something of higher quality for a higher price (even though I know that *could* is totally hypothetical here.) HERE is the listing for the Integra - it looks pretty damn good in those pictures considering the age, especially on the inside. I know it says "helogen" and "cruse control" but I spoke to the seller on the phone and he seems to be Indian so I'll give him a pass for that. (Not to imply that Indians are stupid or something, just that English seems to not be his first language.) Seems like a legit dude, at least over the phone, and it's a hell of a lot easier to drive to Indy than it is to Huntington, so it'd save me a trip.
To each his own, but buying a 10 year old used car is a crap shoot. It just is, even if you know what you are doing and do all the due diligence and have it inspected. If I were you I'd be eager to spend 50% of my bankroll on a decent car that I enjoy and save the rest in case that car goes belly up and needs repairs or a replacement. Then you'd be able to roll the dice a second time with another $4k vehicle.

I really think that 3000GT is priced the way it is for cache and scarcity, not nuts and bolts value.

The most practical thing to do would be to use that $8000 to buy a used 5 year old Civic or Accord Coupe. Maybe get lucky on a eBay auction for a RSX or something.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 AM
By the way, look at that listing for the Integra - is it my imagination or is there a rear windshield wiper on that thing? That's a rare but handy feature on cars as opposed to SUVs. I had one of those on my old 4Runner and I really liked that little touch, especially during the very rainy summer season here.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 AM
By the way, I know it's a weird question but will several rifles and shotguns (up to 48 inches long) fit easily in the back of that car (the Integra), along with one passenger in the front?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Generally speaking, no performance sports car is a robust daily driver. 10 year old used ones triply so. Whether it's a 3000GT/Stealth, a Camaro, a Mustand or a Porsche Boxster you are going to be spending time and money keeping it up. A car like that is a enthusiasts or hobby car and you need to brace yourself for the fact that you will be repairing it more than any other used car. That's the price you pay for "turning heads".

You have 2 questions to answer. 1) Is turning heads worth dealing with the near-certain cost and hassle of owning a sports car? If the previous answer is yes then, 2) is the 3000GT more reliable and/or more head turning than other used sports cars?

What year Integra? An Acura/Honda will almost certainly be a more reliable than a Mitsubishi in general terms. My ex had an Integra and it held up really well, I can't remember the last time I saw a 3000GT still on the road.

Argent Towers -
, I'm getting the impression from this thread that you're not really a driver. This being the case you may well want to go with a much more "mainstream" sort of car and forgo some of the looks. The more mass produced, boring family cars are going to be far more reliable, you will get them at a better price and they should be cheaper to service.

Mind you...that being said buying any second hand car is a crap shoot..but do check it out first with a mechanic - I alsways did this and didn't go far wrong.

I must also admit that the Celica GT4 I bought second hand was indestructible and lord how I loved that car...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
By the way, look at that listing for the Integra - is it my imagination or is there a rear windshield wiper on that thing? That's a rare but handy feature on cars as opposed to SUVs. I had one of those on my old 4Runner and I really liked that little touch, especially during the very rainy summer season here.
Very common feature on hatchbacks and fastbacks. Most cars that don't have a trunk to obstruct the road spray from the rear window have them. I think they might even be required in the US.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Quote:

Argent Towers -
, I'm getting the impression from this thread that you're not really a driver. This being the case you may well want to go with a much more "mainstream" sort of car and forgo some of the looks. The more mass produced, boring family cars are going to be far more reliable, you will get them at a better price and they should be cheaper to service.
I was once very into 4x4s and I knew a great deal about the various merits of Toyotas vs. Jeeps, full-size vs. mid-size and what kind of lift, shocks or tires you need to get through the woods without having to be winched out by an annoyed friend; I have little knowledge when it comes to smaller vehicles, especially sports cars. If by "not really a driver" you mean, not into modifying cars for speed/handling, you're absolutely right. I used to be pretty invested in modifying 4x4 for the trail and camping and other outdoor activities. But that was a long time ago.

I used to have the baddest 4Runner on the block and I spent a lot of money tricking it out, not with flashy doodads or performance enhancements but with off road gear, though I never did get a winch. But for all the time I spent off road, I enjoyed more all of the heads that turned when I would take my vaguely third-world-mercenary-technical looking monster for a spin around the college campus.

When it comes to the kind of cars I'm looking at right now, I know next to nothing. But the time has come to switch to a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle, at least until I can amass the money to get something like this restored and not have to worry about all the gas it would eat.

I'm in the market for something fuel efficient and reliable, sturdily built, and fairly easy to repair, with parts availability. But at the same time, I've still got to have some style here. So it seems like the Integra, Prelude, and possibly the SC400 are good compromise - practical, but sporty enough that I can still get some fun out of my daily driving.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Would an Integra be able to tow one small two-seater jet-ski, on a single trailer, behind it for about 15 miles? If I did get the Integra I'd have more than enough money left over to get an older jet-ski (unlike a car, something like that would be a fun "project" if it needed a little fixing up, since my day to day activities wouldn't be dependent on it the way they are on a car.) I'm close to Lake Monroe and it's great for jet-skiing in the summer but I'm damn sick of renting one every time I want to go for a spin.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Would an Integra be able to tow one small two-seater jet-ski, on a single trailer, behind it for about 15 miles? If I did get the Integra I'd have more than enough money left over to get an older jet-ski (unlike a car, something like that would be a fun "project" if it needed a little fixing up, since my day to day activities wouldn't be dependent on it the way they are on a car.) I'm close to Lake Monroe and it's great for jet-skiing in the summer but I'm damn sick of renting one every time I want to go for a spin.
I found one message board that put the towing capacity of the integra at 1000 lbs. Should be more than enough for jet-ski plus small trailer....
Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Cool. It would just be one watercraft, one of the older Yamahas with a compact design. (I'll tell you, jet skis have just gotten bigger and bigger and BIGGER over the years - they're swollen to practically the size of a small runabout nowadays.)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
The 3000GT is probably more expensive because it's a much rarer car and a much more "pure" sports car.
Careful with that line of thought. The 3000GT is...a GT. A Grand Tourer. It's heavy, not particularly quick, and not a car with much of a sporting bent. If you find one, and it's in good shape, it'll be a great car to cover a lot of ground in, comfortably. They aren't particularly competitive in 'pure' sports car things. (parking lot racing, Drag racing, etc.)

It's flashy, in the way a sports car says 'look at me!', but there are better picks if what you want is 'fastest from point A to point B'.

It's rarer because it was built during a period of time where all of the manufacturers were making their sports cars technological marvells and charging a buttload of money for them. The 3000/Stealth, RX-7, Supra, and Corvette were all $40k cars when that was a good $10k higher than most people wanted to spend on a sportscar. That's why the Miata did so well at a little more than half the price. The Corvette had the benefit of a built in demographic, the others, not so much.

If it's comfort and the ability to carry speed you're looking for, you might consider Lexus and Infinity too.

Last edited by Unintentionally Blank; 05-11-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Something that no one has mentioned.
The link for the Mitsubishi mentions that they only sold 298 of them that year.
Rare = very bad parts availability. On a 10 year old car that they sold less than 300 of trying to get model specific parts will be a guaranteed special order, and quite likely they could be discontinued.
Think about this. You need part X. Without part X you car does not go.
The aftermarket never made part X because with only 300 cars out there it is not profitable.
The dealer doesn't stock part X for the same reason.
Mitsubishi discontinued part X for the same reason.

You now have lawn art. Push it on the lawn and polish it cause it looks pretty.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Rick, they sold tons and tons of them before that and not much changed mechanically. It will probably be hard to find replacement OEM body panels, but there are a million aftermarket suppliers still making bits for them.

AT, if you're serious about the Integra, you ought to be able to find a much newer one for the kind of money you're talking about. Definitely something better than a 100k one.

The 3000GT that you're looking at is not going to be hard to maintain. It uses the big V6 from the Galant, and most of the same running gear, and doesn't have about 90% of the problems that a VR-4 of the same age would (turbo, intercooler, finicky passive rear-wheel-steering bits, four-wheel-drive gimmickry, traction control, ad infinitum). It's basically just a giant Eclipse.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 05-11-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Argent, the Integra does have a rear wiper. I do not think that you have room for your rifles etc. in the back however. I think you also may have problems with visibility if you tow something with it - you might have to get some of those oversize towing mirrors.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I doubt a single jet-ski trailer would be wider than the car.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I must also admit that the Celica GT4 I bought second hand was indestructible and lord how I loved that car...
I am shocked, honestly. My GT4 is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, and I have a 3rd gen RX7, so I know unreliable..

Last edited by Necros; 05-11-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Quote:
I always thought the GT was about 9,000 times cooler looking than the Eclipse. I knever got the hype about the Eclipses. The earlier ones look kind of cool but the newer ones are truly hideous, real jellybean-like abominations that look about as aerodynamic as a sofa cushion.
Back when the Eclipse was considered a DSM, the chassis was ripe for modification. The 2.0 liter 4g63 engine is the same one you see in today's Lancer Evolution, and can easily accept much more boost than stock. Folks were able to make a quick 75hp just by bolting on a slightly larger turbo and freeing up the intake a bit. With other mods (considerable, to be sure) and some weight reduction, some of these cars are seeing under 10 second 1/4 mile times. But they were much cheaper and could be made just as fast as a 3000GT VR4 for a much lower price, even including the mods.

There are still dedicated tuning forums for these cars, and they remain incredibly popular even today. The 3000GT was heavier, more prone to breakdown (especially the transmission) and much more difficult to modify due to a very cramped engine compartment. Not to mention the price premium. If you were looking to mod a car in that class, most people went for the Supra, which could be pretty easily modified to put out over 700hp, even 1000 is not unheard of. (Getting that power from the wheels to the road was the main problem...but boy did you have some impresive dyno numbers)

Last edited by crazyjoe; 05-12-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
Back when the Eclipse was considered a DSM, the chassis was ripe for modification. The 2.0 liter 4g63 engine is the same one you see in today's Lancer Evolution, and can easily accept much more boost than stock. Folks were able to make a quick 75hp just by bolting on a slightly larger turbo and freeing up the intake a bit. With other mods (considerable, to be sure) and some weight reduction, some of these cars are seeing under 10 second 1/4 mile times. But they were much cheaper and could be made just as fast as a 3000GT VR4 for a much lower price, even including the mods.

There are still dedicated tuning forums for these cars, and they remain incredibly popular even today. The 3000GT was heavier, more prone to breakdown (especially the transmission) and much more difficult to modify due to a very cramped engine compartment. Not to mention the price premium. If you were looking to mod a car in that class, most people went for the Supra, which could be pretty easily modified to put out over 700hp, even 1000 is not unheard of. (Getting that power from the wheels to the road was the main problem...but boy did you have some impresive dyno numbers)
3000GT are decent, if you want reliability its a toss up, a VR4 will last as long as your not driving it crazy! More info @ 3si.org If your looking for reliable cheap and fast, MK3 SupraT is the way to go! $2500 into the car, roughly 3800 in aftermarket goodies, and 12.5 in QTMile on my decent almost bald tires!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Screwing the unscrutable.
<mod>

Closed zombie

</mod>