Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 AM
What Piano Ditty Uses Knuckles?

Someone asked me recently about a section of a piano piece that requires using the knuckles of the right hand.

1. The knuckles are rolled over F#, G# and A#. Then C# and D# above that are played together twice.

2. Repeat Step 1.

3. Then the reverse happens: A#, G# and F# are rolled by the knuckles and then the C# and D# below and played together twice.

4. Repeat Step 3.

3. Then the Step 1 is repeated twice.

This is not the beginning or the end -- just part of the little tune.

What is this familiar piece?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about but never knew the name of that song.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Damn, my brother used to play that, about 55 years ago. I'd thought he had made it up.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Isn't it actually called The Knuckle Song? That link goes to a version by "Barry and the Bookbinders" from I think 1997... obviously not the original copyright holder, if there ever was one. But maybe hearing the tune will help jog the memory of someone who remembers the real name if that's not it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Isn't it actually called The Knuckle Song? That link goes to a version by "Barry and the Bookbinders" from I think 1997... obviously not the original copyright holder, if there ever was one. But maybe hearing the tune will help jog the memory of someone who remembers the real name if that's not it.
That's the only part of the song I can remember off the top of my head, but I know I've heard someone play an extended version of it. I think the knuckle part might have just been the chorus or something. It was much less annoying in the context of the rest of the tune.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 AM
That song, Chopsticks and a two-finger song I wrote as a teen comprise the entirety of my piano repetoire.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
It's used as an intro and outro to "Southtown U.S.A." by The Dixiebelles (better known for their hit "Down at Papa Joe's").
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I always thought it was called "I'm going to slam the lid down on your goddamn hands if you keep playing that" in F# pentatonic.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
bump
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
"The Knuckle Son" that you linked to BellRungBookShut, is the right tune. I always played it as part of "Chopsticks." I'm wondering if Arky played it that way. Anyone else?

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
"The Knuckle Son" that you linked to BellRungBookShut, is the right tune. I always played it as part of "Chopsticks." I'm wondering if Arky played it that way. Anyone else?

Thanks for the link!
Wish I could take credit for the link

I'm hoping that someone will know the "extended" version of the song I swear I heard someone play.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed View Post
I'm hoping that someone will know the "extended" version of the song I swear I heard someone play.
I think it was often played as an intro to, or segue between, several of the other pieces in every beginner pianist's repertoire: Chopsticks as mentioned, The Flea Waltz, and the pinnacle of early piano achievements, Heart and Soul. Maybe one of these is what you remember hearing played in conjunction with The Knuckle Song.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks, Crazyhorse! The bass in "The Flea Waltz" sounds very familiar. I may have worked that into "Chopsticks" too. "Heart and Soul" I'm very familiar with. The bass on that was a traditional blues progression. Some male vocal group made a recording of it in the late Fifties or early Sixties too. Piano duets taught to you by a friend were required learning when I was a kid. "Blue Moon" was another of those.

I don't suppose any of you ever learned "I Dropped My Dolly In the Dirt," did you?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
No, not as part of chopsticks for me. However, the three songs I knew pretty much ran together, anyway.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Thanks, Crazyhorse! The bass in "The Flea Waltz" sounds very familiar. <SNIP>
Sounds like part of the Merrie Melodies song.

There's more to the knuckle song than just those black keys. After you do the knuckle part back and forth twice and then forward twice more, you hit C C# D D# E E E.

(at least, I think that's the right notes and can't explain the timing)
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I used to play an 'extended version' of that knuckle song that wasn't Heart and Soul or the Flea Circus one. Not a clue what it was called, but it was awfully popular and may be what BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed is hoping for. I just tried and I can still pick out the tune, but have no idea how to tell you about it.

Last edited by dangermom; 05-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I think it was often played as an intro to, or segue between, several of the other pieces in every beginner pianist's repertoire: Chopsticks as mentioned, The Flea Waltz, and the pinnacle of early piano achievements, Heart and Soul. Maybe one of these is what you remember hearing played in conjunction with The Knuckle Song.
The Flea Waltz! That's it exactly! Thank you!!

I can die peacefully now.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFinder View Post
There's more to the knuckle song than just those black keys. After you do the knuckle part back and forth twice and then forward twice more, you hit C C# D D# E E E.
Wouldn't D D# E F F# F# F# at the end would make more sense?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
The Flea Waltz! That's it exactly! Thank you!!
I'm used to hearing a slightly different arrangement of that ("arrangement" maybe isn't the right term, since nobody ever plays it from sheet music), but that's definitely the song I've heard with that ditty, too.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 AM
The one I"m thinking of is a piano duet. The person on the left plays this (I don't really know how to notate this, so I"m using all sharps and putting the chords in parentheses.) The chords are played with the right hand, after the note that's played with the left hand.

F# (A# C# F#) C# (A# C# F#) F# (A# C# F#)
C# D D# (G# C F#) G# (G# C F#) D# (G# C F#)
G# A# C# (B C# F) F (B C# F) C# (B C# F) F
C# D D# F F# F# F#

There were several different parts for the person on the right to play, including the knuckles thing.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Rather than wake my husband up in the dead of night with these chords on the piano, I will try them out first thing tomorrow. I think that is similar to what I use with "Chopsticks," incorporating "The Knuckles Song."

There is a version of part of the main "Chopsticks" tune used on A Charlie Brown Christmas I thnk. Or maybe it's not unique to that particular PEANUTS episode. The timing is slightly different. Think I will work it out with a the right bass to go with it.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh300 View Post
F# (A# C# F#) C# (A# C# F#) F# (A# C# F#)
C# D D# (G# C F#) G# (G# C F#) D# (G# C F#)
G# A# C# (B C# F) F (B C# F) C# (B C# F) F
C# D D# F F# F# F#
So, did anybody try playing this? I'm sure if you did, you already knew it or had at least heard it, but still don't know the name of the piece.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Wouldn't D D# E F F# F# F# at the end would make more sense?
It wouldn't be the right tune, the way I learned it...
Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Name of Song

the song (knuckle song) is actually a song by the Dixie Belles called Down at Papa Joe's
Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
We used to play it with an orange, rather than our knuckles. Just roll the orange down the black keys.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:40 PM
We used to just call it The Knuckle Song, same as almost everyone else who has posted.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by news52 View Post
the song (knuckle song) is actually a song by the Dixie Belles called Down at Papa Joe's
Just didn't bother reading post #7, did we?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it's not a part of chopsticks. The part most people don't know is just the following repeated twice (top and bottom notes at the same time):
Code:
e|d,c|B,A|G,G|GAG|F,F|FGF|E
c|B,A|G,F|E,E|EFE|D,D|DED|C
There's a left hand part, that alternates between playing C and G7, in the form note-chord-chord note-chord-chord.

Of course, none of that's in the original, as it's just a warm up excercise. But there's no way switching from all white to all black keys would sound like the same piece (well, without some sort of transition.)

I also learned a fuller version of the knuckle song, but I'm guessing I won't have time to put it in an edit, so I'll make a second post.

Last edited by BigT; 07-30-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 AM
Is this the extended version? http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlBDq...e_gdata_player