Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Startrek TOS: More Time in Rank, Uhura or Sulu?

Capt Kirk, Cmdr Spock, Lt Cmdr McCoy, and Lt Cmdr Scott are all on an away mission. All that's left are a couple of lieutenants. Who's in charge?

Last edited by dropzone; 06-09-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western PA
Posts: 3,291
Coming from the original set of films, Uhura is a Lt. Cmdr herself now. Sulu is a Captain. So you have to decide when you're talking about.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
That's why I specified TOS. Made no mention of the movies.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,058
Easy enough - Sulu was in Gold - signifying Command staff - while Uhura was in Red, Signifying support staff.

Several times Sulu was left in command, while Uhura never was.

(this may have been a product of the times and sexism/racism, its all we got to go on at this point.)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Thanks. I suspected there were such times, but couldn't recall them.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEC
Posts: 13,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Uhura was in Red, Signifying support staff.
Which explains why she always balked at being part of the landing party.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 12,099
Was McCoy ever left in charge? I've been watching through all the old episodes, been through about half of them so far, and haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Which explains why she always balked at being part of the landing party.
Except Scotty wore red and he landed or was left in charge of the ship a number of times.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 06-09-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 48,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Was McCoy ever left in charge?
McCoy would never in a million years be left in command. A wet-behind-the-ears ensign would sit in the Captain's chair before Bones. Doctors aren't in the chain of command in any way (TOS).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 12,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
McCoy would never in a million years be left in command. A wet-behind-the-ears ensign would sit in the Captain's chair before Bones. Doctors aren't in the chain of command in any way (TOS).
Ah that's what I thought, but the OP makes a point of mentioning him as a Lt Cmdr so I was curious.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Er, Yeah!

I don't know how naval command structures work. Bones outranks Sulu, but does Sulu's status as part of the bridge staff trump McCoy's rank?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,333
In the real world, if you're a doctor when you join, they send you to a class on what the Academy was like.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 56,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Was McCoy ever left in charge?
Once, sort-of. Spock has hijacked the Enterprise, leaving Kirk behind on a space station ("The Menagerie") and then surrenders himself to arrest. As McCoy is the ranking officer, it falls to him (befuddlement notwithstanding) to accept the surrender and confine Spock to his quarters.


There was an occasion when Kirk and Spock were away and Scott and Sulu were chatting on the intercom. Sulu invited Scott to come to the bridge and assume command but Scott deferred, reasoning he was more useful in Engineering. Which episode this was escapes me.

Lieutenant DeSalle was in command in "Catspaw", evidently putting him ahead of Uhura in the chain o' command.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Er, Yeah!

I don't know how naval command structures work. Bones outranks Sulu, but does Sulu's status as part of the bridge staff trump McCoy's rank?
It would depend on the question under discussion. Just as Kirk can't tell McCoy how to treat a patient, so McCoy can't tell Sulu how to fly a starship.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
I suppose I'm asking how current naval protocol would operate.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 14,716
Medical branch is not part of the operational/tactical chain of command in real Navy vessels. The Doc runs the sickbay, the line officers run the ship and the battle. If the doc is the senior-in-grade officer left alive the others will give him his proper respect and deference but he is still not qualified to command and operate the vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Easy enough - Sulu was in Gold - signifying Command staff - while Uhura was in Red, Signifying support staff.
Although she started in gold, too (and Sulu was originally head of botany!). IIIRC from either Roddenberry's or Gerrold's book, Uhura was originally set in the writer's guide to be fourth in command, but that was never followed up on. We can be consoled she was still intended to be senior-in-grade though she stopped being senior by billet.

However we never really saw an actual total decapitation of command, save for The Deadly Years, where there was an interloping flag officer to declare himself in charge. Under normal landing-party circumstances, it would be a matter for the Captain to just turn (or get on the intercom) to whichever senior officer he is NOT putting in harm's way, or to whoever's serving as Officer Of The Deck for that watch, and tell him "you have the bridge until we get back". It being understood that if the landing party bites it, THEN Mr. I-have-the-bridge looks up what is left of the C-O-C so they can move to fill the vacancies beyond this watch.

Of course, we can with simster speculate if someone said, "Hold it, we have someone (a) black AND (b) female be one of the senior officers. We're going to show her in charge, too?"


The officers who are in the actual ship HQ staff as Executive/First Officer, Operations/2nd Officer and such could be attached to branches other than "command", as seen when Spock wears science blue and Scotty tech red. In TOS, though, the CMO was NOT a line officer (something that seems altered in the reset continuity) and he had authority to remove anyone from duty if he judged them impaired but could not take over himself (ethical conflict of interest considerations).

Last edited by JRDelirious; 06-09-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Medical branch is not part of the operational/tactical chain of command in real Navy vessels. The Doc runs the sickbay, the line officers run the ship and the battle. If the doc is the senior-in-grade officer left alive the others will give him his proper respect and deference but he is still not qualified to command and operate the vessel.

Although she started in gold, too (and Sulu was originally head of botany!). IIIRC from either Roddenberry's or Gerrold's book, Uhura was originally set in the writer's guide to be fourth in command, but that was never followed up on. We can be consoled she was still intended to be senior-in-grade though she stopped being senior by billet.
THAT'S what I was looking for!

ETA: As long as my brother, sometime Officer of the Day, was never ACTUALLY in charge of an aircraft carrier, I'm happy.

Last edited by dropzone; 06-10-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,244
It's still about the billet - communications officers aren't in the command line. The closest USN analog to the TOS command division are supervisory line officers. LCDR Scott, no. In fact, it isn't at all unusual for the engineers to be Limited Duty Officers, who, like the Medical Officers, do not command outside of their specializations.

There were plenty of non-command bridge officers who never commanded - white, black, green, other.

The big demotion in TOS was the promotion of Spock to XO, and the redaction of Barrett's Number One - can't have a woman as XO.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 41,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
It's still about the billet - communications officers aren't in the command line. The closest USN analog to the TOS command division are supervisory line officers. LCDR Scott, no. In fact, it isn't at all unusual for the engineers to be Limited Duty Officers, who, like the Medical Officers, do not command outside of their specializations.
Scott is clearly third in command, but not of command rank, since he didn't qualify to be part of Spock's court martial in Menagerie. While Uhura was communications, there was a lot of cross training, since in one episode she took over navigation, at least for a while.

Sulu was in command during the space battle in Errand of Mercy - why Scott wasn't, I have no idea.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 13,324
In TNG, Dr. Crusher was said to have taken command training, and she did command the ship sometimes. Presumably someone else was running sickbay then.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 20,465
Yeah, there was some discussion concerning Crusher having taken the course and passed the test that Troi was struggling with. At least in TNG one couldn't have the command chair without passing these examinations. But once you've done so you can pull watches in command.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 14,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
The big demotion in TOS was the promotion of Spock to XO, and the redaction of Barrett's Number One - can't have a woman as XO.
For which apparently it was offered as justification that women in the test audiences were put off by her character. A bit too far ahead of her time, I guess.


As mentioned before, once Sulu offers to have Mr. Scott assume bridge command but Scott demurs; it seems that there is a lot of deference in Starfleet for the CO's decision as to who is left in charge until it becomes obvious he's not coming back (heck, later continuities make it seem the CO can do "field" promotions and demotions at will...)

Last edited by JRDelirious; 06-10-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Wisconsin USA
Posts: 16,843
Don't they just seem to have a lackadaisical approach and say you're in command while I'm gone. I'd swear Kirk would tell the pursuer bringing the coffee that they were in command if he didn't spot someone else when he wanted to go to his cabin.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 7,931
Uhura did assume command of the ship in one of the Animated Series episodes, but only once all the men were driven goofy by space sirens.

--Cliffy
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
The big demotion in TOS was the promotion of Spock to XO, and the redaction of Barrett's Number One - can't have a woman as XO.
Any explanation in canon for what happened to Number One? I don't remember seeing anything about her past the pilot other than a book where she talks about "Number One" being her actual real name and not a title.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 48,607
That would be Vulcan's Glory by D.C. Fontana. There are a number of theories, but since neither the comic books nor the novels are considered canon, what we have is...not much.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Capt Kirk, Cmdr Spock, Lt Cmdr McCoy, and Lt Cmdr Scott are all on an away mission. All that's left are a couple of lieutenants. Who's in charge?
Sulu. Kirk specifically left him in command during "Errand of Mercy," when he knew the ship might well be going into combat.

That said, I think Uhura technically outranked Sulu; I recall reading something many years ago from Roddenberry to that effect. But she wasn't on the command track. The real reason is 60s sexism, same as the mini-skirts. The fanwank is that she was more interested in the technical side of things--Diane Duane asserts in one of her novels that she was working on universal translator theory. She didn't want to be captain or even first officer any more than Scott did.

Incidentally, Spock is a Lieutenant Commander in the first season. McCoy is that rank throughout the first series, but he's not in the chain of command. The closest he ever comes to exercising command is in "The Menagerie," when Spock tells him that he (McCoy), as the senior officer present, has to give the order to arrest Spock for mutiny.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
It would depend on the question under discussion. Just as Kirk can't tell McCoy how to treat a patient, so McCoy can't tell Sulu how to fly a starship.
Of course, McCoy does have the authority to unilaterally declare any officer, even the captain, unfit for duty on medical or psychological grounds (presumably pending a review). Spock could not unilaterally remove Kirk from duty; once he and McCoy discuss doing so, but it's clear that he and McCoy have to agree.

I expect that Kirk could arbitrarily and unilaterally relieve any officer from duty with the exception of Spock & McCoy; he'd need one of the two to agree to removing the other. And I also recall that Kirk could had to have the assent of both Spock & Scott to give the self-destruct order.

My personal explanation is that, while Scott was clearly second officer, he did not wish to be so, and him being in that position was not ideal. If he had to take command during a battle, for instance, that would be depriving the ship of the chief engineer when repairs were certain to be needed. Regulations required that the second officer be at least a lieutenant commander, but both Scott & Kirk preferred that Sulu being the number 3 guy on the bridge; they simply tolerated the situation until Sulu had the time-in-grade to be promoted.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,358
So when Kirk was away we have in order of rank.

Spock
Scotty
Sulu
DeSalle (I will bet you credits to navy beans, we can put a dent in it)
Mr Leslie (he was in the Big Chair a couple of times)

No Uhura
No Chekov
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
So when Kirk was away we have in order of rank.

Spock
Scotty
Sulu
DeSalle (I will bet you credits to navy beans, we can put a dent in it)
Mr Leslie (he was in the Big Chair a couple of times)

No Uhura
No Chekov
Well, in TOS Chekov is but an ensign, and in TOS rank actually meant a little something. That siad, Kirk actually leaves him the conn toward the end of "Journey to Babel," when the battle is over. Sulu isn't there for whatever reason, and he ignores Uhura; but I can fanwank that as being because he was in a lot of pain and just wanted to get the hell off the bridge, as earlier in the episode he'd gotten stabbed in the gut.

This episode also highlights why Scott being second officer is a bad idea. It's not that he's not competent--clearly he is--but if the ship is going to come under fire he's going to be needed in Engineering.

I wouldn't count DeSalle in that group, by the way, as he only appears once that I can recall.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 56,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
I wouldn't count DeSalle in that group, by the way, as he only appears once that I can recall.
The character appears three times, but only assumes command once.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,358
Skald, good call on Chekov, I forgot about him "taking over" in Babel.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
SDSAB
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 71,993
Scotty was also left in command in "The Enterprise Incident" and "Friday's Child," and does pretty well for himself, although it's obvious he'd rather be down in Engineering with his "wee bairns." Sulu clearly ranks Uhura, especially when the chips are down; in addition to "Errand of Mercy," he's left in command in the early scenes of "Arena," ISTR. Uhura does take command in that TAS episode.

Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders is a funny and well-written ST novel. Kirk, good-naturedly annoyed by McCoy's griping about how the captain has the easier job, leaves him in command while Kirk is off-ship. Then Kirk is, uh, unavoidably detained, and McCoy has to deal with some crises. Spock says he cannot relieve McCoy, even if McCoy wishes to relinquish command (which he clearly does), since the captain personally selected him to exercise command. Take a gander: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Doctor%27s_Orders
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
The character appears three times, but only assumes command once.
Facts are a crutch for people who can't handle their LSD.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 41,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Scotty was also left in command in "The Enterprise Incident" and "Friday's Child," and does pretty well for himself, although it's obvious he'd rather be down in Engineering with his "wee bairns."
Also in A Piece of the Action and A Taste of Armageddon. And probably a few others.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,881
I love how in the novel Kobayashi Maru, when Scott mentions that he took the test and everyone reacts with surprise, he says, "What, you think they let just any engineer be third in command?"
Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 41,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
I expect that Kirk could arbitrarily and unilaterally relieve any officer from duty with the exception of Spock & McCoy; he'd need one of the two to agree to removing the other. And I also recall that Kirk could had to have the assent of both Spock & Scott to give the self-destruct order.
Didn't Commodore Decker threaten to relieve Spock of duty in The Doomsday Machine? He did outrank Kirk. I don't see why McCoy would have a say in that kind of decision, assuming that nothing medical was involved.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Didn't Commodore Decker threaten to relieve Spock of duty in The Doomsday Machine? He did outrank Kirk. I don't see why McCoy would have a say in that kind of decision, assuming that nothing medical was involved.

Decker's not part of the Enterprise chain of command. And he was clearly out of line. As soon as Kirk got wind of it, he was able to undo it. I expect regulations got rewritten afterwards to keep things like that from happening, as in TOS, Geordi -- a lieutenant junior grade -- remarks once that, while he has the conn, he cannot be relieved against his will by anyone other than Riker or Picard.

The series are inconsistent on this issue, of course. By rights, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, & Archer should very rarely leave the ship. About the only time I thought it was justified was in Errand of Mercy, and in that case it was downright criminal of him to take Spock along.

I say McCoy has to be involved because of "Obsession," when he and Spock discuss it. I think the setup would be that way to guarantee checks & balances. This would be more important on Kirk's Enterprise, which was so far away from a starbase that it would take weeks to get a response.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 06-10-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 12,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Didn't Commodore Decker threaten to relieve Spock of duty in The Doomsday Machine? He did outrank Kirk. I don't see why McCoy would have a say in that kind of decision, assuming that nothing medical was involved.
I recently watched that episode - he did relieve Spock. He was of course nuts and Spock gave up command only reluctantly. They were gonna get McCoy to declare him unfit for duty on the basis of him being suicidal, but that didn't pan out. Instead, Kirk gave Spock a direct order to relieve Commodore Decker. Decker protests that he can't do that according to regulations, and Kirk says "blast regulations!". At that point Spock lays down the law and has security escort him out.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A better place to be
Posts: 26,718
In wet Navies, which is what Gene Roddenberry based Starfleet on, a clear distinction is made between line and staff (specialty) officers. While McCoy or Scott may issue orders commensurate with their rank under the right circumstances ("Spock is showing clear symptoms of Mysterious Vulcan Ailment Made Up For the Occasion Which Vauses Temporary Insanity; relieve him immediately!"), they would not ordinarily take command. However, in several episodes Scotty does take the Captain's Chair in the absence of Kirk or Spock, so it's presumable that either he also has line command in his background or that in Starfleet engineers qualify as line officers. That said, Lt. Sulu is clearly shown as fourth in command, and being groomed for an eventual independent command. (Spock is either a line officer occupying the Science billet by personal interest and skill, or line officers also are trained to hold the Science chair, which makes sense, since the Enterprise is not a warship but a multi-mission vessel with science and exploration as primary mission tasks and warshipry n important secondary task.

Last edited by Polycarp; 06-10-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Present and Accounted For
Posts: 18,256
Hmmmm.... I seem to recall Uhura being told to take the conn ONCE by Kirk, and only briefly. I believe it was in season 2, but I cannot recall the episode. I am slowly watching them all (in reverse order--no idea why) and remember this happening because it was so unusual.


Agree that McCoy (or any ship's doc) is out of the line of command.

Answer me this: what exactly is the difference between Sulu and Chekov? One of the plots the courses and the other readies the weaponry, but what are their positions? And does one outrank the other?

Thanks--

Rigs, with no military background whatsoever. Does it show?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 48,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post

Answer me this: what exactly is the difference between Sulu and Chekov? One of the plots the courses and the other readies the weaponry, but what are their positions? And does one outrank the other?
Lt. Sulu (Navigation, Weapons) outranks Ensign Chekov (Helm). OTW, Kirk says where to go, Sulu figures out how to get there, and Chekov drives.

Last edited by silenus; 06-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: England, Britain, UK
Posts: 18,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Any explanation in canon for what happened to Number One? I don't remember seeing anything about her past the pilot other than a book where she talks about "Number One" being her actual real name and not a title.
Presumably she carried on being Number One while Pike was captain, and was getting on with her career in another ship by the time Kirk took over. The events in The Cage are a few years "before present".

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Hmmmm.... I seem to recall Uhura being told to take the conn ONCE by Kirk, and only briefly. I believe it was in season 2, but I cannot recall the episode. I am slowly watching them all (in reverse order--no idea why) and remember this happening because it was so unusual.


Agree that McCoy (or any ship's doc) is out of the line of command.

Answer me this: what exactly is the difference between Sulu and Chekov? One of the plots the courses and the other readies the weaponry, but what are their positions? And does one outrank the other?

Thanks--

Rigs, with no military background whatsoever. Does it show?
Sulu's helm, Chekov's navigator, Sulu outranks Chekov not because of that but because he is a Lieutenant to Chekov's Ensign. See Other officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Lt. Sulu (Navigation, Weapons) outranks Ensign Chekov (Helm). OTW, Kirk says where to go, Sulu figures out how to get there, and Chekov drives.
I said "Sulu's helm"!

Last edited by Malacandra; 06-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Hmmmm.... I seem to recall Uhura being told to take the conn ONCE by Kirk, and only briefly. I believe it was in season 2, but I cannot recall the episode. I am slowly watching them all (in reverse order--no idea why) and remember this happening because it was so unusual.


Agree that McCoy (or any ship's doc) is out of the line of command.

Answer me this: what exactly is the difference between Sulu and Chekov? One of the plots the courses and the other readies the weaponry, but what are their positions? And does one outrank the other?

Thanks--

Rigs, with no military background whatsoever. Does it show?
Sulu was the chief helmsman. He was clearly a seasoned officer, as Kirk left him unquestionably in command of the ship in "Errand of Mercy," when the Federation was on the verge of war with the Klingons and it was entirely possible that they'd have to go into battle at any time. He was a lieutenant during the series.

Chekov was the navigator. He was a green officer, only 22 when he first appears (Kirk asks him in age in "Who Mourns for Adonis"). He also seems to have been Spock's protege, as he generally took over the science station when Spock was away.

Technically the helmsman should be in charge of piloting the ship and the navigator for plotting the course. But though they never swapped seats, they often swapped specific jobs at any given time. Most likely this was due to sloppy writing, but it makes sense to me; their consoles were side by side, and their jobs simply begged for cross-training. I think the primary weapons controls were on Chekov's side, but it's pretty clear that there's nothing you could do from one station that you couldn't do from the other. And by the movies, they had moved Weapons Control to a separate station, though you could still control eveything from either Helm or Navigation. I expect a more accurate term for them would be Pilot & Co-Pilot.

Sulu outranked Chekov. I always thought the Enterprise's chain of command was Kirk-Spock-Scott-Sulu.

I recall Uhura being told to take the HELM--that is, the pilot's chair--once, but never being left in command of the ship. Again, 60s sexism. But I doubt you can get to be a bridge officer unless you're rated on each station; you have to at least be able to turn the ship around and successfully engage the warp drive.

Sulu outranked Chekov. I always thought the E
Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 12,198
Skald the Rhymer said:
Quote:
I expect that Kirk could arbitrarily and unilaterally relieve any officer from duty with the exception of Spock & McCoy; he'd need one of the two to agree to removing the other. And I also recall that Kirk could had to have the assent of both Spock & Scott to give the self-destruct order.
I'm not entirely sure how wet navies treat this, but I would think Kirk could arbitrarily and unilaterally relieve McCoy and Spock from duty as well, "for cause", cause being whatever trumped up terms he could arrange. It just takes him asserting command privilege and security following his orders. Now he might get a review upon return to Starbase, but during a mission the Captain is king. Though with McCoy as Senior Medical Officer, he could try the Medical Officer trump card to turn the tables, and leave Security unsure which was the rational sensible officer and which one the nutbag. Thus they would probably defer to Spock as the tie-breaker. So we're back to your case.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Skald the Rhymer said:


I'm not entirely sure how wet navies treat this, but I would think Kirk could arbitrarily and unilaterally relieve McCoy and Spock from duty as well, "for cause", cause being whatever trumped up terms he could arrange. It just takes him asserting command privilege and security following his orders. Now he might get a review upon return to Starbase, but during a mission the Captain is king. Though with McCoy as Senior Medical Officer, he could try the Medical Officer trump card to turn the tables, and leave Security unsure which was the rational sensible officer and which one the nutbag. Thus they would probably defer to Spock as the tie-breaker. So we're back to your case.
That's kind of what I meant. Technically Kirk could relieve either of them, or anybody else, for whatever reason he pleases (subject to review when they're back at base, which, might be a while). But since McCoy can relieve Kirk as well, McCoy probably can't be relieved against his will unless Spock agrees.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Belfast Northern Ireland
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Uhura did assume command of the ship in one of the Animated Series episodes, but only once all the men were driven goofy by space sirens.

--Cliffy
Ah yes, the "woman episode", my daughter can't get enough of it. For the first time, I think I'm getting sick of seeing an episode of TOS/TAS...
Old 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 13,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
[B]...Though with McCoy as Senior Medical Officer, he could try the Medical Officer trump card to turn the tables...
Wasn't McCoy the only medical officer? I don't recall any other doctors being mentioned. Nurse Chapel ended up acting CMO in that TAS episode. In Star Trek: TMP McCoy wasn't exactly pleased when he found out that Nurse Chapel had become Doctor Chapel and was assigned to Enterprise.
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Wasn't McCoy the only medical officer? I don't recall any other doctors being mentioned. Nurse Chapel ended up acting CMO in that TAS episode. In Star Trek: TMP McCoy wasn't exactly pleased when he found out that Nurse Chapel had become Doctor Chapel and was assigned to Enterprise.
There was at least one other physician--Dr. M'Benga, a black gentleman who had, if I recall aright, interned on Vulcan. Other nurses were not seen that I recall, but certainly they were implied as Chapel was the CHIEF nurse.

I expect McCoy was vexed because he didn't like change; it's not so much that he objected to working with Chapel, but that this meant he had to get used to a new chief nurse on top of getting used to a refitted shiip. It's not common knowledge, but McCoy's great-great-great-great-grandfather was a Vicodin-addicted doctor with a limp.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Present and Accounted For
Posts: 18,256
At one point in season 2, McCoy tells Kirk that he has 6 doctors on staff (for what crisis, I don't recall). This makes sense, given that Bones is prone to beaming down at any given time--someone has to be minding sick bay!


Then again, are 6 doctors really needed for a crew of 420? Given 24/7 coverage, maybe they are.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 12,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Then again, are 6 doctors really needed for a crew of 420? Given 24/7 coverage, maybe they are.
Crew of 430*. They weren't a bunch of stoners.
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: balderdash refills vaseline on sunburn neato synonym pixels for 8.5x11 incredimail malware od camo abe simpson quotes memento natalie hitler scat munchen pronunciation robin lennon offensive synonym outed meaning forgot drivers license cvt transmission service best carcassonne expansions walk sadly 4 beers gilrs sucking alum douche that that sentence toochie meaning porkins death jeopardy practice tests 800 555 tell yamamoto quotes engine steam cleaner bearded clam legal ruled paper peeling pearl onions sae motto go ahead touchdown flathead screws farts in church postal carrier supplies what does vhs and vcr stand for what kind of doctor performs vasectomy 480p 16x9 frame size kraft mac and cheese no milk why is furniture so expensive is goo gone safe on wood how long for beer to get cold in freezer gas vs propane generator kevin spacey dianne dreyer how much gas is wasted idling with ac removing graffiti from brick walls my feet smell like corn chips lancing a hemorrhoid video you're a daisy if you do meaning what is the difference in editions of textbooks i see u standing there how to get off adam and eve mailing list ace hardware car key copy rice clogged garbage disposal how long is too long to soak beans what goes well with cornbread four seasons philadelphia wedding cost when does chest hair grow hard lump under bruise how to address a sympathy card envelope things to do with cube steak the world is a book quote why are there pennies in penny loafers rx symbol in word deus ex human revolution which ending how to heat up sake is the silmarillion worth reading stop sign with sticker