Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Anyone here use Grecian Formula?

Has anyone tried Grecian Formula? How long did it take for it to work for you? I've been using it daily as directed, for almost exactly a month and I gotta say, there is no appreciable difference.

What was your experience?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
Has anyone tried Grecian Formula? How long did it take for it to work for you? I've been using it daily as directed, for almost exactly a month and I gotta say, there is no appreciable difference.

I used it about 15 years ago, with similar results. It smelled like I fell into a sulphur pit. There were also some weird restrictions, like, you can't use conditioner, or something like that. Pretty lame results for all of the grief. I switched to Clairol Natural or something like that, with great results, cheaper, and I didn't smell like I'd just given my car an overhaul.
Grecian Formula = Bad.

hh
Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomeharry View Post
I used it about 15 years ago, with similar results. It smelled like I fell into a sulphur pit. There were also some weird restrictions, like, you can't use conditioner, or something like that. Pretty lame results for all of the grief. I switched to Clairol Natural or something like that, with great results, cheaper, and I didn't smell like I'd just given my car an overhaul.
Grecian Formula = Bad.

hh
Thanks for the response. I was hoping for the gradual change as it was promised, which is why I didn't use a different hair color. I think that soon I'll switch though.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Back in the 70's I had a coach who had white (not grey, white!) hair. He tired the Grecian formula and it started turning a vivid shade of orange. Never heard of anyone else trying it, but that's kind of the point.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
I didn't try it after reading the label. Too difficult and too dangerous sounding to me. I'd rather have the gray hair than go through all that rigmarole.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
BANNED
I use Just For Men. I buy the palest shade I can and then leave it on longer than they say until the shade looks right. If you are worried about being gradual, that's the way to do it.
I can assure you that it won't stain your skin or look too uniform.
It contains no bleach or ammonia so it doesn't smell up the bathroom too long, but your family should be told before they guess.

And I can tell you that few people at work will notice you've dyed your hair. You could probably wear a black Moe of Three Stooges wig and nobody would notice. People really don't notice that much from day to day. I've let my hair lapse until it's mostly grey, gone back to medium brown and nobody notices.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Everyone at my work will know straight off. But then, I work from home and I live alone.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Say Dice View Post
And I can tell you that few people at work will notice you've dyed your hair. You could probably wear a black Moe of Three Stooges wig and nobody would notice. People really don't notice that much from day to day. I've let my hair lapse until it's mostly grey, gone back to medium brown and nobody notices.
Maybe they're oblivious -- maybe they're just tactful.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Charter Member
My brother-in-law uses it, but I don't know the details. I have to bring him boxes of the stuff every time I go, because it's not sold in Mexico.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
That's for sure. When I went from blonde back to natural brown my boss asked me if I got new glasses.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Quote:
I use Just For Men. I buy the palest shade I can and then leave it on longer than they say until the shade looks right. If you are worried about being gradual, that's the way to do it.
Yep, that's the way to do it.
Too many guys go out and buy the jet black color and it looks truly horrible - even if you really did once have jet black hair.
As you mention - get a lighter color - no darker than medium brown and even that is pushing it.
And if you are doing this for the first time, don't freak out after 8 or 10 minutes when it looks like you have solid black! It washes out and looks just fine.

BTW, I started doing this a few years ago when I just had two weird odd spots of gray that stuck out.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm thinking about trying Just For Men Touch Of Gray. It will leave a little gray. I'll see.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Quote:
In general, you're right. However, it's not a good idea to go from a gray beard one day to one that's flaming red the next, as one of my wife's coworkers did.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
I use Just For Men on my beard. Great stuff. If you leave it in for a shorter period than they recommend, it looks a lot more natural. Although my students can tell in an instant, since my beard cycles through colors as the brown grows out and is replaced by gray. Then sometimes I dye it the school colors, just to shake things up a bit.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Grecian Formula

I have used this product for about 9 months.
I am not completely satisfied with it because it didn't really make my hair darker.
My hair was very light gray. It took longer to get the final results --8 weeks instead of the 3 they promise. The shade went from very light blond with greenish hues to what it is now: very light brown--gray. I still use it 2-3 times a week.
I didn't want to use Just For Men because it is way too obvious : the sudden change and no mixed gray--not natural.
There is no smell to Grecian and you must have patience.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Where are you located? I know that outside the US there are different formulas. There is a terrible smell with the Grecian I bought.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM
The product was purchased in the US.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I used it once.
Tasted AWFUL !!!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
I tried it once. It changed my hair from brown with a little gray into something with a color resembling the lead in a #2 pencil.

I decided I'd just go for the distinguished look.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I've used a product called Youthhair in the past. It's much cheaper, and seems to work a lot faster and better than Grecian Formula.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
It contains no bleach or ammonia so it doesn't smell up the bathroom too long, but your family should be told before they guess.

It depends on where you work. When I color/cut/style slightly differently my hair, EVERYONE comments on it...for days.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post

I tried it with exact same results. Let's face it, most people are gonna know you dye your hair anyway, so just get some from the women's dye section and dye it all at once.

The things that make dye jobs obvious is hair is never all the same color and you have to have it done professionally or learn over time how not to dye all of it.

But as I said dying your hair now-a-days is no big deal so you might as well just do it all at once.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I've let my hair lapse until it's mostly grey, gone back to medium brown and nobody notices.
I think people notice, it's just no big deal anymore for men to dye their hair.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I've used it for only 2 days and I don't know if I'm going to be able to stick with it. It smells terrible. I've smelled this on people before. Now I know what it is. According to the directions, you're not supposed to shampoo your hair but ONCE PER WEEK, until the desired color is achieved! Otherwise, it will only take longer for it to work. Who (outside of Europe ) only washes their hair once a week? Especially when it smells like rotten eggs.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Grecian Formula works..

I rubbed the product in ..perhaps more than the directions suggested... I must say that my erections lasted longer than 11 hours... exhausted (g)
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
But does Grecian Formula smell worse than Zombies?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Seriously... I did some checking about the levels of lead acetate which Grecian formula does have.. and I read that Canada has banned this chemical due to risk of cancer... It says not to use it on any broken skin... ... a bit frightening.. and I trust my prior silly posting did not offend any one..
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
FYI to presite3: The OP died some months ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Inebriate of air
Closing this. If anyone wants to discuss hair color open a new thread.