Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Latin question - Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset.

Said on the Albigensian Crusade, Kill them all, God will know his own.

If I want to put a proper name instead of God do I just substitute the name for God, no special suffix needed?

e.g. Neca eos omnes. Dave suos agnoset.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes, since deus is in nominative case in this sentence.

I think it should be "agnoscet", not "agnoset" though.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 AM
thanks, the first thing i googled had an incorrect spelling

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: [email protected].

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: mary hogarth fifth alcohol refrigerator vents iran pronounce blinkers dont work persona 3 girlfriend sudafed substitutes basic training showers great school org ups loading trucks ryobi quality weekly reader archives ashheaps definition sodium in sugar costco transition lenses yy male 70 ethyl alcohol geometric increase retracting bids ebay pat geary alcohol free cider general delivery rules head of spinach old school telephone domesticated raven akinator won't work tire cat lists to memorize bjork cute mythbusters 2015 nathaniel tattoo what do gizzards taste like sword made of titanium how to stop taking zyrtec without itching drinking alcohol before an exam cannon and dee wedding song 1941 new york mining disaster are microwaves illegal in russia cost of brake service at midas how to make 200 proof ethanol how to clean a brita pitcher how do weather patterns move across the us how to throw a softball further guy jerks off dog 53.5 cents in decimal what does ello gov nor mean pop burn blisters or not how do barking collars work replacing brake pads without turning rotors front end damage repair cost grab your things i've come to take you home my period will not end why do i have to sign into gmail every time coincidence, i think not illinois rut-50 form use it in good health yiddish how to find my comments on yahoo tc on minnesota twins hats fancy seeing you here tinder what do snakes smell like panini press george foreman grill how to remove surgical tape car revving on its own while driving