Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Miss China: Tranny?

Huffpo has a slide show poll (they always have some kind going) of 29 of the contenders for Miss Universe, shots from the bikini strut. And of course, it's poll, so they are ranked.

It's interesting to see who falls where...the current #1, Miss Bahamas, is VERY toned... her muscles are clearly defined. Some of the prettiest and classically sexiest are in the middle or near the bottom.

But Miss China, who is 26 of 29... well, I'm thinkin' tranny. In fact, I'm ready to put money on it.

What I also noticed is that pretty much every picture that was more close up, hips up, was ranked low. (#21, 26 (Except Miss Bahamas, who is #1) 19 18

Then again, there's probably a lot of nationalist voting...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Nah. What makes you think she's a tranny? The face? Looks like she just got caught in an unflattering expression. The body? - classic skinny asian.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
None of those girls do anything for me (well, Ms. Australia was alright...) I've never been a fan of the pageant look, and I don't understand how these women could be chosen as the most beautiful women in their country, when I've seen prettier girls in my class. Female Abercrombie and Fitch models, on the other hand...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
BANNED
No Adam's apple.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Charter Member
No, I don't think so.

I think she's one of the less attractive Miss China's in the last few years, however.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswas View Post
No Adam's apple.
In Thailand, trannies often have the Adam's apple surgically removed. Supposedly they could do the same in China, although I'm not sure if it's as easy to find a doctor there willing to do it as it is here.

But I think that's just an ugly woman. Or perhaps an unflattering photo.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing how she's a tranny. I guess anything's possible, but to me she just looks like a skinny chick with a weird face.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otorophile View Post
None of those girls do anything for me (well, Ms. Australia was alright...) I've never been a fan of the pageant look, and I don't understand how these women could be chosen as the most beautiful women in their country, when I've seen prettier girls in my class. Female Abercrombie and Fitch models, on the other hand...
They don't go around picking pretty girls at random to be Miss Wherever. To be chosen, a woman has to actually enter the pageants. Presumably, the girls in your class did not.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Nah. What makes you think she's a tranny? The face? Looks like she just got caught in an unflattering expression. The body? - classic skinny asian.
The only thing that makes me think the OP may be on to something is it sort of looks like she's smuggling a weiner in her bikini, although it may just be the way the leg hole is situated. Way way way too skinny for my taste, though.

Last edited by corkboard; 08-12-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Look, just for the record - "tranny" is not a term that the vast majority of transsexual or transgendered folks want to be called. Frankly, it's pretty dang offensive. I mean, it's not as bad as "chick with a dick", but it's close.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
Look, just for the record - "tranny" is not a term that the vast majority of transsexual or transgendered folks want to be called. Frankly, it's pretty dang offensive. I mean, it's not as bad as "chick with a dick", but it's close.
Also, I think that most people, transsexual or not, aren't thrilled with the idea of international speculation on their medical history and sexual identity on the basis of their appearance.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe (s)he is carrying a change purse or some makeup in her suit.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_mcl View Post
Also, I think that most people, transsexual or not, aren't thrilled with the idea of international speculation on their medical history and sexual identity on the basis of their appearance.
The poor, poor beauty pageant contestants who find themselves being judged on their appearance. What a terrible thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I guess it boils down to: does it matter if she were? It's not as if being born with male genitalia would likely be a benefit as much as a hinderance going into these things. And really, besides the contestants families and people with too much time on their hands, who really cares who wins these affairs?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
"Tranny" is pretty close to "fag" in terms of offensiveness as a term, FYI. If you feel the need to shorten "transgendered," use "trans."
Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I think she's definitely female- the arms and wrists are too slender and feminine to be male. She certainly doesn't have any hips, though, poor thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
It's nice to see people with disabilities being represented though. Look, Miss Ukraine only has one arm.

http://huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...20#slide_image
Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
She has hips--hers are just the less pronounced ones typical of Asian women. (I'm slim myself, but I'm a European mutt and I have the hips to match--after a semester in Japan in college, it was a relief to get back to America and see more women shaped like me.)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Charter Member
She is a pretty stereotypical Chinese female build. (China Wife, who has had 3 kids, has to buy teenage Levi jeans because the smallest woman's size doesn't fit.)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Sith Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrob View Post
It's nice to see people with disabilities being represented though. Look, Miss Ukraine only has one arm.

http://huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...20#slide_image
Also, she has the hair of a villain from a Final Fantasy video game.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
"Tranny" is pretty close to "fag" in terms of offensiveness as a term, FYI. If you feel the need to shorten "transgendered," use "trans."
Really? When did this happen? I've heard the word "tranny" even be used on commercial television.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leander View Post
Really? When did this happen? I've heard the word "tranny" even be used on commercial television.
Where do you live, and how many trans people do you know? "Tranny" isn't as bad as fag (and usually used out of ignorance rather than an actual intent to be insulting), but it's definitely not kosher. Maybe a better analogy would be "Oriental" in the U.S.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, I AM horny, and if she's post-op...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Where do you live, and how many trans people do you know? "Tranny" isn't as bad as fag (and usually used out of ignorance rather than an actual intent to be insulting), but it's definitely not kosher. Maybe a better analogy would be "Oriental" in the U.S.
Whoosh?

tranny = transmission in some car commercials.

Or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Last edited by interface2x; 08-12-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: mispelling.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x View Post
Or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.
I thought what you thought.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Maybe a better analogy would be "Oriental" in the U.S.
That word is "offensive" for no logical reason I have ever been able to discern.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Quote:
No, it is not at all analogous to Oriental. Oriental as a descriptor of persons is offensive because it is based on an outmoded worldview. But Oriental is not and has never been a pejorative.

Tranny, on the other hand, is a slur. It is nothing but a slur. It is transphobic and given that its use is almost universally against women, misogynistic to boot.

The equivalent of a thread entitled "MIss China: Tranny?" would be "Miss Nigeria: Nigger?" It is absolutely indefensible.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrob View Post
And Miss USA is failing a sobriety test!

Also, I've reached a point in life where very few women make me go "DAMN!". Miss Dominican Republic is one such woman. Dear God, she's beautiful.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Miss Phillippines makes Miss Dominican Republic look like a piker.

Miss Ukraine may be ostensibly missing an arm, but that hair makes up for it.

Miss China...well, hopefully it's just a bad shot of her. Yikes.

As far as the way she's built--I think the suit is extremely unflattering. If she was wearing something more like Miss Phillippines' suit, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot Clock View Post

Also, I've reached a point in life where very few women make me go "DAMN!". Miss Dominican Republic is one such woman. Dear God, she's beautiful.

Oh, come on- you can totally tell that she is sucking it in!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleddown View Post
The equivalent of a thread entitled "MIss China: Tranny?" would be "Miss Nigeria: Nigger?" It is absolutely indefensible.
And when is it you'll decide that the replacement word to be used instead of tranny is offensive, and request yet another name be used?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
And when is it you'll decide that the replacement word to be used instead of tranny is offensive, and request yet another name be used?
Well, if people use that word as a put down, then yeah.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Them girls need sammiches...

Some of 'em need a whole bunch.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
BANNED
Is it just me or does Miss Japan look a bit like the Joker?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I'd just like to state that I'm going to continue to use the term "tranny."
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1945 View Post
Them girls need sammiches...

Some of 'em need a whole bunch.
No kidding; it would be like fucking a bicycle, all hip bones and clavicles.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I think it's the suspiciously receded hairline that makes Miss China look...off.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswas View Post
Is it just me or does Miss Japan look a bit like the Joker?
Miss Japan, in any given year, is an amalgam of body parts and facial features, each of which may or may not have been cute -- on the original body from which they were excised. I think the point made above is relevant - you have to be a bit weird from the start anyway to enter one of these competitions.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
I guess it boils down to: does it matter if she were? It's not as if being born with male genitalia would likely be a benefit as much as a hinderance going into these things. And really, besides the contestants families and people with too much time on their hands, who really cares who wins these affairs?
I certainly don't care who wins them, but I recall a scandal a few years ago in Thailand when it was eventually revealed that the winner of a beauty contest was a post-op. Many red faces all around, and they took the title away from her.

They actually do have transsexual beauty contests here, the Miss Tiffany's Pageant being the biggest one, but the one I mention above was definitely not one of them.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I certainly don't care who wins them, but I recall a scandal a few years ago in Thailand when it was eventually revealed that the winner of a beauty contest was a post-op. Many red faces all around, and they took the title away from her.
On what basis? Is there a rule that Miss Whatever has to be biologically female?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Quote:
No, it is not at all analogous to Oriental. Oriental as a descriptor of persons is offensive because it is based on an outmoded worldview. But Oriental is not and has never been a pejorative.

Tranny, on the other hand, is a slur. It is nothing but a slur. It is transphobic and given that its use is almost universally against women, misogynistic to boot.

Frankly, if Miss Nigeria were not black, I'd be kind of pissed off.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
On what basis? Is there a rule that Miss Whatever has to be biologically female?
I don't know if there's an official rule. If not, there's certainly an unofficial one, at least here.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Yes:
Quote:
  • Must not be married, never have been married, and never have had a marriage annulled.
  • Must never have given birth to a child, can not be pregnant or be a parent. Must be of good health and moral character.
  • Must be a naturally born female, a citizen of the United States, and at least one of the following must be true:
    • Must now reside in their state as their permanent and primary residence for a period of at least six (6) months immediately prior to the beginning of their state pageant (although they may have attended college or University elsewhere); or
    • Must have resided in their state as a full-time student at a college or university for one entire semester immediately prior to the beginning of their state pageant, and they are continuing to reside in their state as a full-time student (although they may have spent or be spending the summer in another state).
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Elephant Whisperer
I think I've heard of pageants proscribing any type of cosmetic surgery, too. Sex-change operations could conceivably fall under that.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I think I've heard of pageants proscribing any type of cosmetic surgery, too. Sex-change operations could conceivably fall under that.
Miss Universe does not prohibit cosmetic surgery:
Quote:
ARE CONTESTANTS ALLOWED TO HAVE COSMETIC SURGERY?
Although contestants are discouraged from altering their own natural beauty, no restrictions are placed on cosmetic surgery; it is impossible to enforce such a rule. In fact, since 1990 the organization has allowed padding in an effort to discourage participants from permanently altering their bodies for the competition.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Quote:
I think I've heard of pageants proscribing any type of cosmetic surgery, too.
Well, then Miss Venezuela would always be disqualified.

(Not referencing the current Miss Venezuela. I've heard that Venezuela is big into beauty pageants and cosmetic surgery.)

I like that they allow padding, especially if they're going to allow plastic surgery. What difference does it really make if the fake tits are because of padding that's stuffed under the skin or between the skin and the bra? Doing the latter is a much better choice for the vast majority of women.

Anyway, there is nothing inherently wrong with getting cosmetic surgery anyway. And where would you draw the line? Getting lipo and ass implants are cosmetic surgery. So is getting a mole removed.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOIDALIZE View Post
I'd just like to state that I'm going to continue to use the term "tranny."
Nice. Do you commonly stick with slurs for marginalized groups?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Tranny, on the other hand, is a slur. It is nothing but a slur.
False. Cite: Thread title.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
False. Cite: Thread title.
How is that a cite? A lot of people here have mentioned that they find it offensive and that they know people who find it so.

If someone started a thread title with "Fag" or "Nigger" in the title, would that make those words suddenly acceptable?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
Nice. Do you commonly stick with slurs for marginalized groups?
I'll wait for an actual tranny to inform me that it's a slur, random messageboard nobody.