Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Are there different "kinds" of drunk? (beer vs. wine vs. spirits)

I was talking to my neighbor the other night who claimed that wine and beer affect him differently. I expressed skepticism but he had some pseudo-scientific sounding explanation prepared, which I proceeded to immediately forget. I don't want to write it off though in case there is some truth behind it.

Assuming an equal amount of alcohol is ingested, is there an appreciable difference between intoxication from beer, wine, and liquor (that is within the same person), and if so why?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM
No, apart from the cultural conditioning which might lead one to act as though there were. But alcohol is alcohol.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indistinguishable View Post
No, apart from the cultural conditioning which might lead one to act as though there were. But alcohol is alcohol.
That was my assumption. In the OP I posit an equal amount of alcohol is consumed, but due to their different concentrations I also have to speculate that perhaps some people end up drinking more or less with one kind of beverage than the other and don't realize it, which might contribute to this belief that "wine drunk" is different than "beer drunk".
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Charter Member
I think it's possible that wine is more likely consumed with food.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Sure, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that there are other chemicals in the beverages that act upon someone

Tannins in wine, especially, are thought to exacerbate hangovers so it's not entirely impossible that the experience of drinking these beverages is different.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I think you have to look at the concentration of alcohol in the beverage, too. A six-pack of beer is 72 oz of liquid, while six shots only six. I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that six shots gets you drunker faster (and hence differently), even if you account for the fact that it takes longer to drink six beers than six shots.

Your body will absorb the alcohol at a different rate depending on the concentration, right? Hell, the one time I drank Everclear straight, it was absorbed near-instantaneously by the membranes in my mouth, and I ended up swallowing almost nothing.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Thus speaks someone who's never drunk tequila.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I think you have to look at the concentration of alcohol in the beverage, too. A six-pack of beer is 72 oz of liquid, while six shots only six. I don't think it is much of a stretch to say that six shots gets you drunker faster (and hence differently), even if you account for the fact that it takes longer to drink six beers than six shots.

Your body will absorb the alcohol at a different rate depending on the concentration, right? Hell, the one time I drank Everclear straight, it was absorbed near-instantaneously by the membranes in my mouth, and I ended up swallowing almost nothing.
This....assuming you are drinking fluid at a steady rate for whatever reason, then drinking beer will make you silly while drinking liquor will make you blindly stupid.

If you are drinking beer, you will naturally slow down as your stomach becomes bloated/full.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, that's all fair enough. I had been taking "Assuming an equal amount of alcohol is ingested" to implicitly mean at an equal rate, but, of course, that's not usually true of the way people generally drink.

Last edited by Indistinguishable; 08-15-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 PM
The fact that there is no physical reason for responding to equal amounts of alcohol, under otherwise equal conditions, does not mean that your neighbour does not in some sense experience this. His psychological and physiological responses partially depends on the manner that he thinks he will respond, especially if he has an underlying, although pseudo-scientific, basis for his beliefs. Numerous psychological experiments have confirmed that people's behavioural response to drugs, such as alcohol, can be modified according to arbitrarily suggested test outcomes, or in line with conceived social norms.

Last edited by Captain_Awesome; 08-15-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
BANNED
I think Cecil did a Straight Dope on this very subject a while back (also covering what specific kinds of alcohol cause the meanest hangover) and seemed to find it (getting more hammered on say vodka vs. merlot) was a mostly subjective phenomenon, though he did seem to think that some alcohol was (possibly) found to cause worse after-effects............

Its been years since I read this column, so I may be mis-remembering (or drunk)

Last edited by MPB in Salt Lake; 08-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumor_Watkins View Post
Sure, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that there are other chemicals in the beverages that act upon someone

Tannins in wine, especially, are thought to exacerbate hangovers so it's not entirely impossible that the experience of drinking these beverages is different.
And then there's wildly differing amounts of sugar. I suspect a Hurricane has as much sugar as a bowl of frosted sugar bombs breakfast cereal, and most parents know what that can do to a human being.

I wonder what the impact of all the carbs in a good beer is? It could be that a controlled experiment is required...
Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNelson View Post
And then there's wildly differing amounts of sugar. I suspect a Hurricane has as much sugar as a bowl of frosted sugar bombs breakfast cereal, and most parents know what that can do to a human being.

I wonder what the impact of all the carbs in a good beer is? It could be that a controlled experiment is required...
But how long will it stay controlled?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Rot their teeth?

Lots of parents speak anecdotally of "sugar rushes", but my understanding was that this concept has never panned out when put to scientific test.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Charter Member
Here's an article with some answers:
http://guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...handwellbeing\

Here's a previous thread:
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=456160
Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Fixed link to above Guardian article:
http://guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...thandwellbeing

Last edited by Captain_Awesome; 08-15-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Charter Member
Thanks, C_A
Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Tequila makes me burp. So there's a different kind of drunk - the burpy kind and the regular kind.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:14 PM
When I was a bartender, I had two different customers in two different cities that older bartenders warned me about. " Serve them beer - but never (one was scotch, one was tequila)"
What I noticed was, if they drank enough beer, long enough, they were still assholes. It just took longer.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 AM
I seem to get some additional good feeling when drinking nice wine. I think there is something in a good Cab beyond just the alcohol, but of course that is just a subjective opinion.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Mathmatics

the type of alcohol does not affect you as you think. x happened to me while drinking y so x = y right? no, its psychological, people will drink x to try and recreate y or use x as an excuse to do y. ie. when i drink whisky i sleep whith fat chicks, im drinking whisky so its ok to sleep with a fat chick today.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM
I used to be a beer drinker, but no longer have the stomach for it... so I tried to switch to something harder. However, while beer always seemed to make me a beer happy drunk, vodka seems to make me grumpy. So I no longer drink enough to get drunk.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:
All the other information may be true regarding expectations and therefore not based on the difference in tequila, but amen to this. I get way belligerent when I drink straight tequila, in a way that I do not experience when I drink shots of other straight alcohol.

The way I put it when asked is "riots start, cops get called, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria." It's not pretty. I avoid straight tequila as much as possible, but shot of other straight alcohol do not cause the same problems for me.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
There are so many silly myths regarding alcohol. Here in Denmark, I can't say if it was international, there was a huge wave where people knocked on the top of canned beers before opening.

People believe in things even easier when they are drunk. And that's no small task.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I've just been to my booze fridge and had a look at relative alcohol concentrations of the beverages in which my household imbibes.

My roomie's white wine has an alcohol concentration of 13%. At 750 ml, that's pretty much 100 ml (actually 97.5 ml) of ethanol.

My beer is rated at 5%, which means to achieve 100 ml of ethanol down my gullet, I'd need to consume 2 litres, which would be in the form of four 1/2 litre cans.

I promise you, were I to drink a bottle of Lindemans Sauvignon Blanc all to myself, I'd end up really fucking annoying. However, after four cans of Grolsch I'm only just verging on tipsy.

Regarding liquid consumption over time, I would say also that I don't drink wine nearly as fast as I drink beer - I sip it. However, in the interests of science, maybe tomorrow night I will make up some white wine spritzers in 500 ml glasses to emulate the same alcohol proportion and volume of beer I'd normally drink, to see if the subjective effect makes me more or less twatted. I shall report back.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I've just been to my booze fridge and had a look at relative alcohol concentrations of the beverages in which my household imbibes.

My roomie's white wine has an alcohol concentration of 13%. At 750 ml, that's pretty much 100 ml (actually 97.5 ml) of ethanol.

My beer is rated at 5%, which means to achieve 100 ml of ethanol down my gullet, I'd need to consume 2 litres, which would be in the form of four 1/2 litre cans.

I promise you, were I to drink a bottle of Lindemans Sauvignon Blanc all to myself, I'd end up really fucking annoying. However, after four cans of Grolsch I'm only just verging on tipsy.

Regarding liquid consumption over time, I would say also that I don't drink wine nearly as fast as I drink beer - I sip it. However, in the interests of science, maybe tomorrow night I will make up some white wine spritzers in 500 ml glasses to emulate the same alcohol proportion and volume of beer I'd normally drink, to see if the subjective effect makes me more or less twatted. I shall report back.
The quest for knowledge and the advancement of science marches (or staggers) on!!!

Last edited by MPB in Salt Lake; 08-16-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
I was talking to my neighbor the other night who claimed that wine and beer affect him differently. I expressed skepticism but he had some pseudo-scientific sounding explanation prepared, which I proceeded to immediately forget. I don't want to write it off though in case there is some truth behind it.

Assuming an equal amount of alcohol is ingested, is there an appreciable difference between intoxication from beer, wine, and liquor (that is within the same person), and if so why?
Another thread topic on this board that has come up in my head!

As somebody who has drank all types of alcohol.

I can say that wine gives me a "warm feeling" on my face vs. hard liquor and beer.

I don't really drink hard liquor much.

I mainly drink beer.

Wine every so often. Sometimes during the winter, because of the "warm feeling" it gives me.

I like to drink with my food, and you can't do it with hard liquor.

Last edited by Sometimes Sober Sometimes Not; 08-16-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
However, while beer always seemed to make me a beer happy drunk, vodka seems to make me grumpy. So I no longer drink enough to get drunk.
Alcohol is a mood changer as much as a mood enhancer.

If you are happy, sad, angry during the day, then, chances are you will probably be happy, sad, or angry when you are drunk.

Sometimes the opposite affect can happen when you are drunk from what happened during the day.

This is why I try and find stuff that makes me happy, or stuff that makes me laugh when I'm drunk.

Nobody likes being sad or destructive angry when they are drink. The only exception sometimes is when your angry, because you can be funny and sarcastic at the sametime.

Last edited by Sometimes Sober Sometimes Not; 08-16-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes Sober Sometimes Not View Post
Another thread topic on this board that has come up in my head!

As somebody who has drank all types of alcohol.

I can say that wine gives me a "warm feeling" on my face vs. hard liquor and beer.
Red wine also gives me a warm feeling on my face. Cider causes a really warm feeling all over my face and down across my chest, with accompanying skin flush and difficulty breathing. Thanks in advance to whoever advises me as to what is common to the two and causes that.

As to the OP, I have a subjective response to a glass of good Scotch (Speyside malts, I'm not that adventurous) that is different than the subjective response to a similar amount of alcohol consumed as beer, wine, or other liquors. I'm able to enjoy the difference while also assuming it's confirmation bias at work and there's nothing magical (apart from the obvious) about the chemistry of the Macallan 18 year old.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM
It's also self-selecting... if you're feeling in a bad mood you're unlikely to spend an evening sipping rose wine, you'll head for the tequila.

But on a pleasant summer evening in the garden you probably won't start downing flaming smabuca like there's no tomorrow.

(Another thread with some recent views: http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=514124)
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Are there different "kinds" of drunk? (beer vs. wine vs. spirits)

No. What kinds of teenagers are telling you this?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
But how long will it stay controlled?
Here's a study on binge drinking that went awry.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgain View Post
This....assuming you are drinking fluid at a steady rate for whatever reason, then drinking beer will make you silly while drinking liquor will make you blindly stupid.

If you are drinking beer, you will naturally slow down as your stomach becomes bloated/full.
My experience:
too much beer=sleepy
too much wine=silly
too much hard stuff=unpredictable, but anywhere from numb stumbling to black depressive rage.

Last edited by Beware of Doug; 08-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Reporting back.

Observations:

1. I only managed to drink two.
2. I felt more sober than with the beer, probably because I was drinking it so slowly.

Findings:

1. White wine spritzer tastes like horse piss smells.
2. 500 ml of white wine spritzer is frankly too much. 1 litre is appalling.
3. I am a bad test subject and I miss my beer.

Conclusion:

The experiment is completely inconclusive.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
IME: at the very least, ingesting any drug at varying rates given a constant total amount has a significant effect on the overall experience.

Smoking two joints now vs. one now and another in an hour results in two different "highs"
Two hits of LSD now and another in 4 hours is quite different from 3 all at once.
12 beers drunk steadily over 4 hours is different than beer bonging a 6 pack and 6 shots of vodka.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Conclusion:

The experiment is completely inconclusive.
Good sir, that's because you've done it all wrong. You must retry, and make sure I participate in order to ensure it's being done correctly. All on your tab, of course.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I get different kinds of drunk when drinking different alcoholic beverages. I don't think it's something magical in the alcohol though, it's most likely the situation and surroundings I drink the drinks in.

Beer makes me happy and slightly drunk because I'm usually drinking a few with my friends.
Whiskey gets me really drunk because I'm usually drinking too much of it.
Vodka doesn't get me drunk because I'm usually drinking it with family (and that's no fun).

You get the idea.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Good sir, that's because you've done it all wrong. You must retry, and make sure I participate in order to ensure it's being done correctly. All on your tab, of course.
My dear you are most welcome here in the UK, and should you make the trip I would happily buy you a bottle of Value Table Plonk for 2.99 and lots of soda water for roughly double that, and together we can see how drunk we might get. For science.