Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Why didn't Hitler take Switzerland ?

After reading an answer in this thread, I wondered (strangely enough) for the first time why Hitler didn't take Switzerland ? The Germans could have taken it by assault in a minute, couldn' they? And it would have been easy, and plenty, prey.

So, what's the dope?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
(1) Neutral countries have their uses in wartime.

(2) It is doubtful if he could have taken it in a minute, partly because the Swiss terrain was not suited to tank warfare, and partly because the Swiss had organised the whole adult male population as an armed militia.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
IIRC Switzerland's defense has always rested on the premise of "not being worth it". They know they cannot muster a big enough military to stop an enemy such as Germany in the 1940's. The goal was more porcupine like. You may be BIGGER but it is gonna hurt a lot to kill them. The pain you suffer will be more than the end result will net you.

Switzerland is very mountainous and, IIRC, they have made sure they are experts in mountain fighting. I also think they have tunnels and bridges mined so can close off routes in pretty quickly (or at least have plans to do so should the need arise). Everyone in Switzerland also serves in the military so, in a pinch, the whole population could be roused to fight if they have to.

In short, look elsewhere. Just not worth the trouble (not rich in the way of natural resources and so on).

I suppose had Germany consolidated most of Europe under their rule eventually the Swiss would probably get an ultimatum and a puppet government.

I also want to say there was some advantage to have access to the Swiss banks in a time of war which capturing them would negate but I'd need to look that up.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I also want to say there was some advantage to have access to the Swiss banks in a time of war which capturing them would negate but I'd need to look that up.
Maybe I'm a bit naive, but couldn't the Germans have made all these banks into the Reichsbank, subsidiary Switzerland? ( I certainly know almost nothing about financial politics)?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
I don't know that Germany could take Switzerland "in a minute." It's a mostly mountainous terrain, so the Germans would have to march up a hill, fight their way into a city, then march up another hill and do it again. Plus, unlike every other country in Europe, Switzerland wasn't exhausted from fighting World War I and was less likely to yield to the series of promises and threats that Austria and Czechoslovakia had fallen to.

Third, I don't think Switzerland offered the material advantages that Hitler saw in France, Poland, the Low Countries and Russia. Finally, there were some advantages to being next-door to a neutral, but non-threatening, land-locked country: back channel diplomacy, for one.

I won't say that if Hitler had succeeded in capturing everything else he wouldn't have turned his attention to Switzerland, but I think it was pretty low on his list of objectives.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
One should keep in mind that Hitler didn't invade countries just for the sake of it. He had strong reason to attack the countries he did attack. (Was is justified etc, of course not.) He had no reason to attack Switzerland, or Sweden for that matter. Note that he never wanted a war with England for instance, and some other western countries in particular, but was dragged or forced into it. - As you understand, but being a sensitive subject for good reasons, I'm not saying this to defend Hitler's choices in any way, naturally, but he wasn't a brainless warmongerer; there was some inner Nazi logic in what he did. So the question should be not why he didn't attack Switzerland, as much as why he should have?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
So the question should be not why he didn't attack Switzerland, as much as why he should have?
I see all points made in all of the answers above, but Switzerland is and was a very rich country, and the Nazis were greedy bastards.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
Note that he never wanted a war with England for instance, and some other western countries in particular, but was dragged or forced into it.
This isn't really true. Hitler didn't particularly want to fight the UK in 1939, it is true, but that is a tactical thing.

Hitler could have coexisted with the UK and certain Western nations, but only on his terms, with those nations essentially subservient vassal states of the new Germany.

As for Switzerland, they were useful as a neutral, no threat to Germany, provided an outlet for German gold, and were seemingly significantly closer to the Axis than the Allies. Spain wasn't invaded either, though the Wehrmacht could have rolled through that far quicker. And Germany had good strategic reasons to want to invade Spain, unlike Switzerland.

Last edited by villa; 09-08-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM
He wasn't ready to take on the Swiss Army, because the German army's knives had inferior toothpicks and corkscrews.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
I see all points made in all of the answers above, but Switzerland is and was a very rich country, and the Nazis were greedy bastards.
The things that make Switzerland a rich country would be destroyed if they were invaded, though. Switzerland is rich because of its neutrality and the banking industry that developed there.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
He wasn't ready to take on the Swiss Army, because the German army's knives had inferior toothpicks and corkscrews.
Don't underestimate a knife made of Kruppstahl.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
It is doubtful if he could have taken it in a minute, partly because the Swiss terrain was not suited to tank warfare, and partly because the Swiss had organised the whole adult male population as an armed militia.
This is pretty much it. Switzerland has a long and proud tradition of an armed population; there's a tale of a German general (sometimes the Kaiser) asking what the Swiss would do if half a million Germans invaded, to which a militiaman responds "Shoot twice and go home."

There's a number of other reasons, economically and politically, which Switzerland was not attacked, outlined here.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by villa View Post
Spain wasn't invaded either, though the Wehrmacht could have rolled through that far quicker. And Germany had good strategic reasons to want to invade Spain, unlike Switzerland.
Technically, Germany would have had to march through Vichy France to invade Spain, but Spain was pretty much a German lapdog. Franco fawned over Hitler (so much so that Hitler found it distasteful) and would have done anything Hitler asked at any time. Why invade and set up a puppet government if that's what you had to begin with?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Technically, Germany would have had to march through Vichy France to invade Spain, but Spain was pretty much a German lapdog. Franco fawned over Hitler (so much so that Hitler found it distasteful) and would have done anything Hitler asked at any time. Why invade and set up a puppet government if that's what you had to begin with?
Oh I agree. But invading Spain would have taken Gibraltar, and would have been much easier than invading Switzerland, which had NO strategic benefit. And was also pretty close to being a German lapdog too.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Plus, unlike every other country in Europe, Switzerland wasn't exhausted from fighting World War I and was less likely to yield to the series of promises and threats that Austria and Czechoslovakia had fallen to.
Hi, I'm from the Netherlands. We were neutral during WWI. As were Sweden and Spain (and of course, Switzerland).
Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
There's a number of other reasons, economically and politically, which Switzerland was not attacked, outlined here.
Thank you very much for this informative link. Great!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Actually, Reality Chuch, I do not think Franco fawned on Hitler at all. From what I've read in William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and other sources, El Caudillo felt contempt for Hitler (after all, Franco was an officer and Hitler was only a corporal). Shirer describes the aftermath of one meeting in which Hitler tried to get Spain to come in on the Axis side: Hitler remarked to some of his subordinates that he would rather have all his teeth pulled than endure a similar meeting again.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
BANNED
This has been discussed a lot at the Axis Forums and the consensus basically comes to he could've done it, and without much problem. The Swiss terrain is rough and they are well armed, but it wouldn't have been much of a problem, between the German rule of the air and the ability to starve the Swiss out, it wouldn't have stood a chance.

The Swiss co-operated a lot with the Germans and this was why Hitler didn't bother.

If the Swiss put up any sort of resistance, other than token, Hitler would've wiped them out as he did in Lidice. But what was south of the Swiss? Italy, which was an Axis partner. So there was no need to bother with the Swiss when the co-operated.

This is much like the Sweden. They co-operated with the Germans. Although the Danes were occupied by the Nazis, the Danes pretty much were left to run themselves as they too co-operated.

Spain was hardly a willing German ally. Hitler said he'd rather have a tooth pulled than deal with Franco again. Franco proved to be an ungrateful ally to German and Italy who helped him win the Civil War in Spain. Franco was totally out for himself and had no issues or qualms about dumping Hitler once he started to lose and moving over toward the Allied camp.

Hitler was more concerned about the Soviet Union and Britian than his southern front which was only an issue because of Italy's inability to do anything on its own.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Switzerland has a long and proud tradition of an armed population; there's a tale of a German general (sometimes the Kaiser) asking what the Swiss would do if half a million Germans invaded, to which a militiaman responds "Shoot twice and go home."
I think the effectiveness of this is over-stated. The Swiss decided at the beginning of the war to basically give up all low-laying land to the Germans and conduct a guerilla-style resistance if attacked. The mountains played a much bigger role than any armed tradition.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
Actually, Reality Chuch, I do not think Franco fawned on Hitler at all. From what I've read in William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and other sources, El Caudillo felt contempt for Hitler (after all, Franco was an officer and Hitler was only a corporal). Shirer describes the aftermath of one meeting in which Hitler tried to get Spain to come in on the Axis side: Hitler remarked to some of his subordinates that he would rather have all his teeth pulled than endure a similar meeting again.
Agreed. This is a decent starting point. Spain was pretty devastated following their civil war and all Hitler could get out of Franco without formally becoming a belligerent was the Spanish volunteer Blue Division to fight on the Eastern Front.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Technically, Germany would have had to march through Vichy France to invade Spain
Not necessarily. Gascony was part of occupied France, and Germany hypothetically could have invaded through Gascony.

Spain's foreign policy during World War II largely consisted of expressing appreciation and gratitude for German help during the Civil War and then explaining with sincere regret why it was impossible to do any of the things that Germany asked them to do.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
The Swiss border is so full of holes, it would have been difficult to decide on where to attack from.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
As noted by all of the above, the question is backwards. It should be "Why would Hitler want to take Switzerland?" Since there was zero tactical reason to take the country, and very little strategic reason, the Swiss were left pretty much alone.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Charter Member
Switzerland is also a confederacy of 26 separate states. It's not like there is a central capital to conquer; every state would have to be conquered then and held by occupation forces against a well armed and organized resistance.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Franco was apparently mostly pretending, on the advice of Admiral Canaris, the head of German Intelligence, and part of the anti-Hitler conspiracy. Franco and Canaris were apparently quite close, and when the Head of Intelligence of a very powerful nation tells you to NOT ally, but rather to kiss ass, then you kiss ass.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
The Swiss border is so full of holes, it would have been difficult to decide on where to attack from.
That was the cheesiest joke I've read today.

Watch it!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
As noted by all of the above, the question is backwards. It should be "Why would Hitler want to take Switzerland?" Since there was zero tactical reason to take the country, and very little strategic reason, the Swiss were left pretty much alone.
As revealed in Hugh Trevor Roper's Table Talk, Hitler's private conversations with his entourage, the Fuhrer had plans for Switzerland, and intended to deal with the country once Germany had won the war.

One of his chief concerns was that Switzerland would not be allowed to serve as a refuge for Jews. They would be "cleared out of Switzerland as they had been cleared out of the rest of Europe", and this motive alone would have been sufficient for Hitler to send the German army in.

It must be remembered that tactical and strategical concerns played little part in Hitler's decisions, this was a man guided by his own peculiar 'destiny' and his vision of a Europe (perhaps a world) free of Jews.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Well, according to Mark Kulanski's The Secret History of the Basques, Franco wanted desperately to join the war, but the Germans, having seen the Spanish Army during the Spanish Civil War, didn't want him. Also, after the Civil War, Spain's economy was a basket case, so Germany would have had to feed its people and spend years training them to be an effective fighting force (the Germans knew what they were dealing with, having fought the Spanish Civil War for Franco). They might have gotten Gilbraltar, but that would have been a very poor trade.

The one meeting between the two men was ultimately a humiliation for Franco. He arrived late, and their talks were a disaster: Franco kept talking about entering the war, but gave Hitler nothing to return; Hitler ended the interview, saying it was pointless and, indeed, did say he'd rather have his teeth pulled and his only direct comment about the meeting was "You can't do anything with this character."

Of course, Franco claimed he saved the country by standing up to Hitler, but the Germans just didn't care. And after the war, Franco started spreading rumors about how he really was anti-German all along in a desperate -- but successful attempt to avoid Hitler's fate. The stories of Franco being anti-German* were repeated so often that many think them the reality.

*Pretty ridiculous on the face of it from a man who used the German army to gain power.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Besides blowing up every bridge, every mountain pass, every rail line, every road, making the country worthless, Switzerland also had a policy of no surrender.

Most/all of the countries that Hitler took surrendered after a show of force. Swiss law prevented that. Unlike other countries, Hitler could not win 1 huge battle, or make a bloody invasion and expect the survivors to surrender.

According to what i read, Target Switzerland, Stephen P. Halbrook(?), that, at that time in the 1930's/40's, according to Swiss law, nobody in Switzerland, not the president, not the generals, nobody, had the power to surrender, and therefore, the Swiss would/ had to theoretically fight until literally the very last Swiss man and the very last Swiss woman. It would be a very long drawn all out guerilla fight lasting almost forever, lasting until every Swiss citizen was dead, and to win what?: virtually nothing.

War isnt much fun, it isnt very short, and it isnt very profitable, if the other guy will NEVER surrender.

Besides nearly everyone in Switzerland was armed. There was a rumor that at some conference, a german general made a nasty "what if" to a swiss general, and asked:

"what if we invade your country tomorrow with 100,000 german troops?" The swiss (who had 50,000 men in his command) answered: "we will shoot twice and go home".

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Switzerland was neutral pro-Nazi, just like Spain. Half of it is mountainous valley just not worth the effort of invasion.The other half speaks German.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Really, it had nothing to do with the Swiss being able to raise a militia - do you really think Nazi Germany was afraid of a bunch of Swiss guerrillas but not, say, Norwegian guerrillas in a colder and more mountainous area? Or Greeks and Yugoslavs in the Balkans?

Nazi Germany raised a significant amount of money selling goods and materials looted from occupied Europe through Switzerland. Keeping Switzerland "neutral" was profitable. Even crazy Adolf understood basic economics.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Besides the rough terrain, you have a high percentage of blue eyed blonds.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
Switzerland is also a confederacy of 26 separate states. It's not like there is a central capital to conquer; every state would have to be conquered then and held by occupation forces against a well armed and organized resistance.
No.

It is worse than that.

No Swiss state could be "conquered" because surrender was not an option.

The Swiss promised to fight to the death of the very last Swiss man and Swiss woman.

(Target Switzerland, page 103) Guisan's order: "the Swiss resistance to German attack would be total" ..................informed swiss officers and soldiers that no one was authorized to surrender" "As long as a man has another cartridge or hand weapons to use, he does not yield" "the Swiss would die fighting even if only with the bayonet"

"no one thought of retreat; even if they were surrounded, surrender was out of the question" "the no surrender order expressed exactly what the soldiers felt" (page103)

"The rifles in the home were visible and easy to operate, and Swiss women would not have hesitated to use them in event of an invasion........" (page 96)

"The (Swiss)junior officers had organized themselves so that if, in an invasion, a commanding officer showed signs of giving way before overwhelming enemy forces, these officers have mutually pledged themselves to shoot such a commander on the spot" (page 96)

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post

- do you really think Nazi Germany was afraid of a bunch of Swiss guerrillas but not, say, Norwegian guerrillas in a colder and more mountainous area? Or Greeks and Yugoslavs in the Balkans?
Yes!

.........because unlike the Norwegians, the Greeks, the Yugoslavs, not to mention the french, polish, checks, Belgium, etc, etc, etc, the Swiss would never surrender and would fight tooth and nail to the last Swiss citizen standing.

Its just not worth it to invade Switzerland.

The cost is too high and there would be nothing left to win.

There would be nothing to win if there is nothing left.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Well, so, given the Swiss policy of no surrender, if the Germans did invade Switzerland in, say 1940, after France fell, how long could the Swiss have held out? And could Americans conceivably resupply the Swiss guerrillas?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Has there ever been any other country in the world who had a total non-surrender policy like Switzerland?

How do you defeat a country that actually does that?

Has any other country besides Switzerland ever done it? .....in particular, a country where every citizen is armed?

Has any other citizen armed country besides Switzerland ever done it and lost(i.e. complete anniliation of its population)?

(I am thinking maybe?? current day Isreal would never surrender to the arabs?)

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
Well, so, given the Swiss policy of no surrender, if the Germans did invade Switzerland in, say 1940, after France fell, how long could the Swiss have held out? And could Americans conceivably resupply the Swiss guerrillas?

I would think if Hitler was going to tie down an army and invade Switzerland wouldnt it have been better to wait until after he had defeated and secured both England and russia first?.........don't you think?

Needlessly tying down a German army in Switzerland in 1940 gives Hitler nothing besides casulties and a waste of his limited resources.

Defeating Russia would give him slaves and huge natural resources.

...........and that is probably why the Switzerland invasion was put off..............

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanann View Post
Besides blowing up every bridge, every mountain pass, every rail line, every road, making the country worthless, Switzerland also had a policy of no surrender.
Oh yeah,

I forgot the tunnels.

The Swiss were ready to blow up all their tunnels also.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Has there ever been any other country in the world who had a total non-surrender policy like Switzerland?

Yes Japan, in the same era.
Quote:
How do you defeat a country that actually does that?
Apparently, you develop atomic weapons, nuke two of thier cities to cinders, and politely suggest that they modify their view of surrender.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
I don't want to question the bravery of the Swiss reservist or their organizational capabilities, but do you really think that this would have been the deciding issue for Nazi Germany to not invade Switzerland? At the time, one hundred out of every one hundred German officers and leaders you polled, including Der Fuhrer himself, would have laughed themselves into convulsions if you'd told them Switzerland would be a tougher nut to crack than France. And France fell in five or six weeks. D'ya really think Switzerland scared Germany? Not a chance; there is absolutely no reason to believe Germany wouldn't have happily squashed Switzerland had they had a reason to. The Nazis were not afraid of Swiss housewifes with rifles.

They didn't invade Switzerland because they had no reason to. The Swiss were their de facto allies.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
Yes Japan, in the same era.
No. Japan surrendered.

The Swiss would never surrender.

There is a big difference when the enemy refuses to surrender - its really a soldiers worst nightmare.

(...and I am guessing that Isreal has adopted the Swiss policy of no surrender)

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't want to question the bravery of the Swiss reservist or their organizational capabilities, but do you really think that this would have been the deciding issue for Nazi Germany to not invade Switzerland? At the time, one hundred out of every one hundred German officers and leaders you polled, including Der Fuhrer himself, would have laughed themselves into convulsions if you'd told them Switzerland would be a tougher nut to crack than France. And France fell in five or six weeks. D'ya really think Switzerland scared Germany? Not a chance; there is absolutely no reason to believe Germany wouldn't have happily squashed Switzerland had they had a reason to. The Nazis were not afraid of Swiss housewifes with rifles.

They didn't invade Switzerland because they had no reason to. The Swiss were their de facto allies.
Especially considering the German Hehr fielded quite a few regiments of Gebirgsjäger (mountain troops) which were elite units trained extensively in the German Alps. They would have been at home in Switzerland.

As for the "Switzerland had a policy of no surrender" bit... haw, haw, haw. Every country has a policy of no surrender. It's one of the easiest policies to have in peacetime, really. Just ask any soldier : "Lad, suppose the enemy's at the gate, what do you do ?" "Fight, sir ! To the death !". And then the war begins, and local policies sort of shift dynamically...
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

NO.

Not true.

First of all, Hitler hated Switzerland. "The fuher characterized Switzerland as the most despicable and wretched people and national entity. The Swiss were mortal enemies of the new Germany" (page 152) Target Switzerland

Secondly, Hitler did not want the Swiss to be colonized, "the fuhrer believed that the Swiss would not be fit citizens of the Reich"

Third, a later plan to invade Switzerland in July 1941, "Operation Wartegau" included not only paratrooper, panzer, and luftwaffe attackes, but also ............hydroplanes which would land on lakes in Switzerland". The plan was presented by Colonel Adolf Heusinger to the Chief of the German Army Operations Department.
(page 151) Target Switzerland

The plan to invade Switzerland in July 1941 was NOT conumated................the german generals and Hitler did NOT, as you put it: "laugh themselves into convulsions".

In the final analysis, although Hitler hated the Swiss, although Hitler planned to invade Switzerland several times - his generals talked him out of it, because of Swiss no-surrender policy war with Switzerland would be unwinnable in the sense that nothing would be left to win, the Swiss not only maintained their neutrality but when Luftwaffe aircraft invaded Swiss airspace they came under attack and several were shot down by the Swiss, and in the end, Switzerland, was NOT invaded.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post

As for the "Switzerland had a policy of no surrender" bit... haw, haw, haw. Every country has a policy of no surrender. ..
NO they dont.

A "no-surrender" policy is exceedingly rare in world history.

To my knowlege, Switzerland, and possibly Isreal are the only ones that have such a policy.

Why do you think a dozen arab countries were never able to conquer Isreal over the last 60 years?

Do you really think Isreal will surrender to the arabs in a future war?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Quote:
No. Japan surrendered.

This is complete speculation. Talk is cheap.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
No. Japan surrendered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOIDALIZE View Post
This is complete speculation. Talk is cheap.
The fact is, that japan DID!! surrender, but the Swiss, and for that matter, Israel... did NOT!!!

Unlike every other european country, all Swiss citizens had a no surrender policy and were in fact prepared to fight to the end, and that was not "talk".

Facts are facts. Switzerland WAS NOT invaded. Switzerland WAS an island of peace and freedom in Europe.

The 2 best books that I have in my library on why Hitler did not take Switzerland, are:

"Target Switzerland", by Stephen Halbrook, and

"Total Resistance - Swiss Army Guide to Guerrilla Warfare and Underground Operations" by Major H. von Dach.

Last edited by Susanann; 09-08-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Quote:
No. Japan surrendered.

The fact is, that japan DID!! surrender, but the Swiss, and for that matter, Israel... did NOT!!!

Unlike every other european country, all Swiss citizens had a no surrender policy and were in fact prepared to fight to the end, and that was not "talk".

Facts are facts.

You're right, I forgot about how Switzerland was invaded by Germany during the war and managed to fight them off through brave adherence to their no surrender policy, even after their cities were turned into smoldering craters.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
SDSAB
Robert Harris's excellent alt-history thriller Fatherland touches on Switzerland's usefulness to the Reich as neutral territory, banking provider and espionage center. No particular reason to invade, and several good reasons not to.

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09-08-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Switzerland was conquered by the French during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars; this notion that Switzerland is some uniquely unconquerable nation has no basis in reality.

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
Switzerland was conquered by the French during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars; this notion that Switzerland is some uniquely unconquerable nation has no basis in reality.
No nation is unconquerable. That being said, Switzerland has been neutral and had its neutrality recognized for most of its modern history, and the Swiss do have a reputation for being good soldiers.