Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda Tail Lights

I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer from auto shops. I want to replace the tail lights on a 1998-2000 Honda Accord Sedan with the tail lights of the 2001-2002 style/design. Does anyone know if it's possible with regards to the same size to fit all years 98-01? Or is the trunk design different?
When I search for this online it only lists 98-00 grouped together and 01-02 years together speficically.

Are they interchangable?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Charter Member
Since they are listed separate I am guessing they are different. If they all took the same part number, they would be all listed the same.
Your best bet is to go to a dealer that has both in stock and ask them nicely to put them both on the counter side by side.
You may find the differences are minor and they will interchange, or you may find that you can't get there from here without some body work first.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd research here, see if they're different parts numbers.

http://hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp

ETA: If they run really expensive new, I'd check junkyards for a better price.

Last edited by lobotomyboy63; 09-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Charter Member
Based on what I see from pictures, they are definitely different, but should probably be interchangeable from a fit perspective.
1999: http://tm-autosales-llc.com/file...lver_honda.jpg
2002: http://img2.netcarshow.com/Honda-Acc...llpaper_03.jpg
The difference appears to be the way the backup lights and turn signals are handled (clear plastic vs. red). Are you replacing both parts of the tail light (body and trunk) on both sides? If not, it would look pretty strange...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMikula View Post
I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer from auto shops. I want to replace the tail lights on a 1998-2000 Honda Accord Sedan with the tail lights of the 2001-2002 style/design. Does anyone know if it's possible with regards to the same size to fit all years 98-01? Or is the trunk design different?
When I search for this online it only lists 98-00 grouped together and 01-02 years together speficically.

Are they interchangable?
If you'll allow me to be a little sassy here: How the heck should I know? Why the heck would anyone know? In all seriousness, this is not a normal repair procedure, and it wouldn't surprise me if you're the first one who's asked about it. I'm certainly not surprised that no one you've asked has an answer -- why would they?

I will suggest that the best way to be certain of of the fit is to actually put the part on the car. It's too easy for some non-obvious but critical detail to be missed in a side-by-side comparison. Going to a you-pull-it type salvage yard is probably the easiest and cheapest way to find out with certainty. Even then, assuming the wiring connector fits, it's theoretically possible that the wiring is different, but that should be easy to rectify.