Old 12-31-2000, 01:03 PM
So how many beers before you:

1) start to feel tipsy?
2) are stinking drunk?
3) in what time frame?

Or hard alcohol drinks.

I'm 1/2 Asian (don't want to go into all the ways this affects my tolerance but it has to do with alcohol dehydrogenase) - so I get tipsy off of about...1 beer, drunk as a skunk on 2 or more. If I ever drank more than that, I'd get ill. To top it off, I don't really like the taste of alcohol so I rarely drink at all.

Tibs
Old 12-31-2000, 01:42 PM
It really depends on the day but I usually have an 8-Pack before heading out to the bar. So lets say that I can feel it working somewhere in the 2 to 4 range. After 6 I'm pretty much on a comfortable cruise control. When things do take a turn for the less coherent it happens at the bar so that's probably at 12 beer or so. I wish I could add my liquor quotas but I'm a firm believer that non-swimmers should stay out of the deep end.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:48 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
I can feel tipsy at one beer, and am too drunk to drive at 2 to 2.5 beers. I will get sick at 3 to 4 beers. This assumes this all is within about an hour or so.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:54 PM
I can't take much at all.
Alcohol makes my jaw nerves twang, like hitting your funny bone.
I just drink enough to keep from looking stupid, then go to the bar for a refill of O'Douls non-beer.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:56 PM
Just kidding! I drink you under the table.
Old 12-31-2000, 02:28 PM
It takes about four to get my scrotum to descend after a day at work.

Eight to get niiiiice and relaxed.

12-16 to get pretty wasted.

20 to puke.

The time frame is a little bit tougher... I can nurse one by myself for an hour, or unthinkingly drink a sixer in 45 minutes if I'm in a good mood.
Old 12-31-2000, 02:38 PM
4-5 buzzed
6-10 really buzzed
10-15 buzzed and very suave with the ladies
16-24 dangerous at darts
Old 12-31-2000, 03:50 PM
BANNED
Being a former dancer, I had a chance to find out.
I had never drank before I was hired, and I don't enjoy it, but my record (a measly one at that) is 13 shots in 2 hours.
That would be either Kahlua or tequila. I mixed it up.
As for wine, yuk. It takes probably 16 oz. for me to get tipsy.
Old 12-31-2000, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
8 beers- buzzed(.08)
12 beers- drunk

Within a 2 hour period.
Old 12-31-2000, 05:32 PM
When drinking only beer, I require approximately seven before feeling buzzed. Stinking drunk usually takes ten. But I rarely drink just beer. Usually I mix in a few shots, but the overall result is the same: 10 measures of alcohol spread over four hours or so and I'm a happy alkie.
Old 12-31-2000, 06:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Depends on how tired I am, if I've eaten, how strong the beer is, how much I'm moving around, how much water I've had beforehand--and yes, the time of the month.

So it varies wildly. Rested, fed, watered, and pacing them out, I can put away a lot. I've put away a couple of pitchers before and not been more than happily buzzed. (No, I don't drive then, so don't purse your lips.)

Other times, especially right at the beginning of a period, 2 beers will make me dizzy and headachy.

I really love the taste of beer, but it's hard for me to get drunk on it usually. I get full first. It really is liquid bread.

Veb
Old 12-31-2000, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TVeblen

I really love the taste of beer, but it's hard for me to get drunk on it usually. I get full first. It really is liquid bread.

Veb
Dammit Veb we need to go drinking again..maybe Front Street?

With the way work and family life has been lately..I'd prefer sooner rather than later...
Old 12-31-2000, 06:39 PM
Three beers, or one bottle of champagne. If I don't fall asleep first.
Old 12-31-2000, 10:53 PM
Pffft...

Pansies.
Old 01-01-2001, 12:41 AM
I am, indeed, a pansy. My excuse was pregnancy and extended nursing. I couldn't drink (or only rarely) for two years. When I could finally take it up again, I was not only outta practice, I was also sleep deprived. 1 beer has me tipsy and looking for the closest sofabed. Two beers? Comatose. I guess that makes me a cheap date but not a FUN one.
Old 01-01-2001, 01:12 AM
At 3-4 beers, I will start to feel something.
At 6-7, I will have a solid buzz.
After that, I stop counting.
Old 01-01-2001, 01:25 AM
Hmm, based on an in-depth self-study of the last several months...and these numbers are spread out over about 4-5 hours.

1 beer - nothing - but, hey, good beer is good.

4 beers - feeling tipsy, a little happy

6 beers - getting drunk sometimes, ask someone else to drive if i feel the need

9 beers - still in a great mood, shouldn't be driving

12 beers - time to call it a night
Old 01-01-2001, 09:48 AM
Well, since I've only ever had the beginnings of drunkeness once (with dopers no less), here's how it went for me.

These were all mixed drinks on an empty stomach.

4-5 drinks i was feeling nice and relaxed

6-7 starting to lose balance, definately felt slowed. At the 7th drink it felt like my eyes wouldn't focus right.

But by the 8th felt like I could trip and fall over something, but i managed the stairwell in Oldscratch's bar well without falling.

Now, i'm not sure how strong the drinks were. We barhopped a few times. The second bar i did a couple of shots (a purple hooter and a tootsie roll.....yeah, sissy girl drinks, but I dont really like beer). Although, by the 8th drink, Omni's guiness tasted pretty damn good.
Old 01-01-2001, 12:40 PM
I don't know. I never got there. I'm like Veb. I'm too full to drink anything more after two. Now, I can get a buzz on 2 or 3 mixed drinks if I drink them fast. Or one, if I haven't eaten all day (Did that once--only once--and it sucked.)
Old 01-01-2001, 01:34 PM
Next time you're drinking, try this test:
After each drink (beer, wine, or booze), sign your name or a simple sentence on a piece of paper. (Try to do this where no one can see you, as you may look like a loser at the bar with a notepad.) The next day, check out how impaired you were after each drink by the way your handwriting changed.
Old 01-01-2001, 02:12 PM
I have a simple system to evaluate my impairment:

0 beers - Claudette Shiffer looks attractive

2 beers - Drew Barrymore looks attractive

4 beers - Molly Ringwald looks attractive

6 beers - Madonna looks attractive

8 beers - Hillary Clinton looks attractive

10 beers - Richard Simmons looks attractive
Old 01-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tbea925

0 beers - Claudette Shiffer looks attractive

Isn't it Claudia, not Claudette? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...
Old 01-01-2001, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nineiron
Isn't it Claudia, not Claudette? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else... [/B]
Must...stop...noon...binges...
Old 01-01-2001, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by beagledave

Dammit Veb we need to go drinking again..maybe Front Street?

With the way work and family life has been lately..I'd prefer sooner rather than later... [/B]
You're ON! Maybe we can lure...uh, corrupt...uh, persuade Chris and Kricket and tiggeril while we're at it. I like the beer at Blue Cat better, but for some reason really prefer Front Street. Less pretentious, I guess. I've spent many a summer afternoon back on the patio, happily sucking down brew and munching on nachos.

Now watch me make a total liar of myself and get plotzed.

Veb
Old 01-01-2001, 04:20 PM
My granduncle got "drunk" at my wedding, but on non-alcohol wine.

We had to serve that because the hall didn't have a liquor license yet, and that was why it was so cheap.

But he didn't know and was making noises about being tipsy and not to give him more. It was soooo funny!
Old 01-01-2001, 04:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by annalamerino
My granduncle got "drunk" at my wedding, but on non-alcohol wine.

We had to serve that because the hall didn't have a liquor license yet, and that was why it was so cheap.

But he didn't know and was making noises about being tipsy and not to give him more. It was soooo funny!
:::nods wisely:::
The power of suggestion. Why, there have been posters who've gotten totally blitzed, lit and looped just from virtual parties here!

Wanders away obliviously,
Veb
Old 01-01-2001, 10:46 PM
I don't really remember how many I had last night... ::scratches head::

Erm... I think... 4 I'm feelin it, 6 I'm buzzed, 8 I'm hit pretty hard, 10-12 I'm drunk, and after 14-16 I'm probably lookin to puke.

--Tim
Old 01-01-2001, 10:54 PM
I'm a fairly small woman, so say inside of a four hour span:

three beers, one shot of john walker red (yuk), and one indeterminate mixed drink created by roomate, and I'm comfortably sloshed and silly.

mind you, that's real canadian beer, not that american water.
Old 01-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tbea925
2 beers - Drew Barrymore looks attractive
You have to drink to find Drew Barrymore attractive? Some people....
Old 01-02-2001, 03:18 AM
BANNED
I used to have to drink about 6 beers before I began to feel anything, but that was when I was drinking very heavily. I quit drinking for a while, then started up again (moderately) and now I can feel it on 2 beers, and 4 will have me feeling good. This saves me a lot of money, I used to wish that I had a lower tolerance back when I would have to buy cheap beer so I could get enough to get drunk.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:48 AM
[insert male ego drive]

i can drink SO much more than all of you!

[/insert male ego drive]

I go for about 5-6 pints for an 'average' night out (3-4 hours in a pub)

although i hear the beer in America is kinda weak Not like a good old British pint.