Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Strobe candles - manufacture

Years ago I had some strobe candles that would flicker up and down in a fairly slow, steady pattern. I have been trying to find some but I can't locate them on any sites.

I am wondering if anybody knows where I can buy them online and/or if someone knows how to make them?

The only thing I can think of when making them would somehow put water pockets in the melted wax or perhaps layers of different density wax, etc.

If anybody can help, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...ghlight=strobe

I'm still not finding anything this year. Some clever wick design perhaps?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
What do you mean by "flicker up and down"? That they get lighter and then darker as they appear to burn? I've seen them all over the place:

http://batteryoperatedcandles.ne...ed-candle.html

Not sure if these are the same, but the ones I have seen have a very realistic "flicker" effect using LED's and batteries.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
What do you mean by "flicker up and down"? That they get lighter and then darker as they appear to burn? I've seen them all over the place:

http://batteryoperatedcandles.ne...ed-candle.html

Not sure if these are the same, but the ones I have seen have a very realistic "flicker" effect using LED's and batteries.
I guess what I mean is that they sputter or throb, pulsate with a regular, steady rhythm. I need these for meditation purposes and it has to be real flame to achieve the desired effect. I tried the strobe candle lights but it's just not the same.

I've gotten the same effect by accident because of some kind of impurities in the wax/wick or maybe it was shoddy manufacturing, I don't know. But thanks, though.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
When I was a kid my older brother (now deceased) made them with a wooden dowel for a wick. The flame would jump up and down and act as a strobe light. I tried making one and it just wouldn't burn. I don't know what he could've done differently than did. If anyone knows the secret, please let me in on it.
http://candletech.com/archivedforum/.9833.html

Quote:
This is your chance to experiment with different wicks. A wooden dowel makes a strobe candle! Rope or heavy cord makes a Magnum flame. Regards, Larry.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0095036AA7JwNs

Probably need the right size dowel, perhaps made of an open-pore wood such as oak, rather than pine or poplar.
I'd first try soaking a 1/4 inch oak dowel in molten wax for a few hours before casting a candle around it.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Had many of these candles. They were big, with more wax at the top (about 2 inches at the top tapering down to an inch), a wood rod center heavily coated with wax, and enough wood at the bottom to stick it in something like a potted plant. I loved them. They produced a large thin flame that would strobe on and off in a very good copy of the strobe light, and would do this repeatedly as they burned. They were great party lights, and very nice if you were getting zoned out to music. Miss them a lot, because I haven't seen anyone make them in recent years.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
You could, you know, type out your whole post before hitting submit. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 AM
Charter Member
Werepeople has left the building.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 PM
If hippies could do it, I can!

I was at the RNC in Miami Beach back in '68 (I was 5) and my dad bought me a strobe candle. As I recall the wick was made up of tightly rolled paper, probably wax coated, maybe not, but probably made from brown paper shopping bags. Remember, these were hippies making these things and they weren't exactly using titanium and carbon fiber, they probably used stuff they got for free or cheap.

I'm going to try and make a couple. I'll try plain brown bag paper for one wick and brown bag layered with wax paper for the other. Seems to me if I roll the wick to the same size as the dowel, then cut longer paper to wrap around the wick center AND the top of the dowel, it should hold together pretty well.

Have a grateful day!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
you might get into a bit of a stink with the mods about posting such information. My opinion is that your new post is totally relevant and of value to the (old) thread; but don't be offended if your links get removed or something. Its the board policy (and a good one). I've copied your links, and if they do get removed, I'm sure anyone here can send you a private message for that information.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:23 AM
How to make a strobe candle.

My brother just showed me how to make a strobe candle. You need a dowel, strips of cotton material and of course melted wax; dip the dowel in wax, enough times to get some of the candle started, after you've dipped it about 10 take one of the strips of material and wrap it around the wax on the dowel, repeat the first step, dip about 10 more times, wrap material around the wax, keep doing this until you get a good size candlle going.