Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Charter Member
Big Bang Theory 11/16--"The Adhesive Duck Deficiency

I thought the two stories were laugh out loud funny, especially the emergency room scene with Penny & Sheldon. I don't know how those two act together without cracking up.

All Big Bang fans, check out this week's TV Guide (11/16 to 22). Courtney Cox is on the cover, the cover story being "What's hot. Big Bang gets mentioned as "Hotter than ever"--Four geeks and a hot girl: funny. Four geeks and a hot girl with a dream cast and genius writing: hilarious.

And one the last page, Quotable: I gew up in Textas. Football is ubiquitous in Texas: Pro fottall, college football, high-school football, pee-wee football, in fact every form of football except the orginal European football, which most Texans believe to be a commit plot--Sheldon Cooper on his suprising knowledge of football.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I really liked the Sheldon/Penny plot, but the boys in the desert was boring. High people being silly is only really funny if you are high with them. Otherwise it is just annoying. It is pretty cheap writing too - I think the writers just didn't know what to do so they went to an old standby: lets have them eat some some pot-brownies without knowing it, har, har, har. It doesn't really matter though, the show is really the Sheldon and Penny show anyway. Hell, they could just have those two end up as roomates somehow and get rid of the other boys for all I care.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
"Cause of accident: Lack of adhesive ducks."

"I'll just put down 'in progress'".
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
"I'll just put down 'in progress'".
Yes, I will never again be able to hear the two words "in progress" with giggling.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
My daughter & I both laughed out loud when Sheldon was in the waiting room trying to comfort Penny. Oh my gosh. And the Soft Kitty duet/round was perfect.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
BTW, they were pot cookies, not brownies.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 AM
*knockknockknock*
Penny?
*knockknockknock*
Penny?
*knockknockknock*
Penny?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by well he's back View Post
And the Soft Kitty duet/round was perfect.
Jim Parsons has a rather pleasant singing voice...it's kind of choirboy, with a sort of "I'm performing a recital" quality to it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
The look Sheldon gave Penny when she suggested the round and started singing. Only Parsons could convey so much with one solid long expression.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 AM
"The hero always peeks" I didn't think Sheldon had it in him. Darn right I would have peeked.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
To be fair, Cucuo(sp?) was cracking up when she got on the bed. Luckily her character being looped out on pain meds mostly hid that.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree - the "stoned" bit was less than I expect of/hope from this show.

Almost made me a question the other plot, to the extent it relied on Penny being zonked on meds.

Lazy attempt for cheap laughs.

And I know we shouldn't let reality intrude, but she didn't want to wait for a cab, but would wait for Sheldon to do all that was involved in him driving?
How did she get that t-shirt over her dislocated arm.
And as quickly as she hopped up in the tub when Sheldon came,she sure could have done that before...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
oh, please don't make reality intrude on a show I really enjoyed.

"The hero always peeks" - what a great line
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
"The hero always peeks" I didn't think Sheldon had it in him. Darn right I would have peeked.
"I suppose it does take courage to be that committed to soup."
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Some of the best lines of the season, for sure. "Cause of accident? Lack of adhesive ducks" and Raj explaining his plan to rule the worlds bunny population had me dying.

"I would be kind to my rabbit subjects...at first."

The other two were just kind of standard variety stoned sitcom character but Raj cracked me up.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Also, Raj cracking up at Howard's American accent.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilTan View Post
Also, Raj cracking up at Howard's American accent.
I came into say I thought that was hysterical, although I think he was speaking about Leonard in particular and Americans in general. Loved his imitation.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Mark me as a "loved the episode"

I'd be kind to my bunny subjects.... at first...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I would eat all of the lettuce and make them watch.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Less funny than usual, still a big fan.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
I came into say I thought that was hysterical, although I think he was speaking about Leonard in particular and Americans in general. Loved his imitation.
I've never heard Kunal speak out of character. Does he have a discernible Indian accent?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I've never heard Kunal speak out of character. Does he have a discernible Indian accent?
He's actually from India, so yes.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
...And the Soft Kitty duet/round was perfect.
Yes... But it made me wonder something... Wasn't her singing proven to be horrible in previous eps when she was supposed to sing on stage?

I think this was meants as another joke That she got looped on meds and could suddenly sing.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
BANNED
It was entertaining and certainly well above what other things are trying to pass for comedy these days. I do agree with the above poster that said it's becoming the "Sheldon Show."

While that character is great, the others have a lot of potential too, and I hope the writers don't take the easy way out and focus on Sheldon at the expense of trying to develop the others especially Raj and Howard.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I love watching Sheldon and Penny interact. Their personalities play off each other so well. It makes for great entertainment!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 AM
The stoned camping scenes were lame for the most part, although they did have some funny lines.

The Sheldon/Penny plot was great as usual though.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Raj explaining his plan to rule the worlds bunny population had me dying.
Was that a reference to Watership Down?
I have to say one of the reasons I LOVE this show is b/c of the deep seated nerd references and injokes...Almost like the Simpsons! ...The episode when Leonard's mom comes and he tells Penny how he built the hug machine was a reference to Temple Grandin.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggette View Post
Yes... But it made me wonder something... Wasn't her singing proven to be horrible in previous eps when she was supposed to sing on stage?

I think this was meants as another joke That she got looped on meds and could suddenly sing.
She's sung Soft Kitty plenty of times before. So it may be that her singing ability comes & goes at the plot requires.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 AM
We/ve just started watching this show this season, so I have to ask - what's the story behind "Soft Kitty"?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet View Post
Was that a reference to Watership Down?
Raj's "King of the Bunnies" obsession reminded me more of the game Black & White, which is even nerdier than Watership Down.

And even though the writers used the tired old "unknowingly stoned on brownies/cookies" cliche, I thought they added a bit of life to it.

Last edited by PoorYorick; 11-18-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
We/ve just started watching this show this season, so I have to ask - what's the story behind "Soft Kitty"?
I think the origin is that Sheldon's mother sang it to him when he was a child. There have been couple episodes where he's been sick (in some way or another) and has asked Penny to sing it while tending to him (creature of habit that he is). This episode it was Penny turning the tables.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Ah! That adds a lot more to that scene. Thanks.
[nitpick]Speaking of that scene - Sheldon came in at the wrong place, didn't he? He came in a verse sooner than she had prompted him to, although it still worked.[/nitpick]
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I skipped the howard/leonard/Raj plot at the campsite, I thought it was boring. The sheldon & penny plot was very interesting & funny. Although, they could have thought of something better than a dislocated shoulder to incapacitate penny. I mean, you can still stand if your shoulder hurts.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I loved this episode. I didn't mind the high scenes so much. I thought they were actually pretty funny for a basically worn out joke. Of course, every second of Sheldon/Penny is always hilarous. I was psyched when I saw that it was Penny/Sheldon episode because they have such great chemistry.

I thought one of the funniest lines (or not line- but gesture) was when Leonard asked Raj to slow down the rotation Earth for him, and Raj did. It was laugh out loud funny because it was so unexpected. Then Leonard thanked him, and that was funny as well.

Anyway, I love this show.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I still love this show, but the characters' reactions to Sheldon is getting old. Whenever he goes off on one of his episodes (pretty much any time he is speaking), the other characters in the scene look at him in total disgust. Cue the eye-rolls. It's one-dimensional & tiresome. Sheldon is at his funniest when one of the other characters is enjoying him/herself.

Anyone who really spent that much time around the guy would have to find him extremely amusing. If not, there would be no reason to have him around as a friend.

Last edited by Labrador Deceiver; 11-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
It's only been 48 hours, but "I'll just put down 'in progress.'" has already entered the lexicon at our house.

Personally, I found the desert scenes amusing, if not side-splitting. Where else on TV would you ever find an "I love you" brisket?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Quote:
[nitpick]Speaking of that scene - Sheldon came in at the wrong place, didn't he? He came in a verse sooner than she had prompted him to, although it still worked.[/nitpick]
I noticed that too, and I'd even argue that it worked better this way.

Initially, Penny sang, "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little bar of fur..." and instructed Sheldon to come in at that point. She had to sing at least two verses for the benefit of the audience, in order to demonstrate the song. For performance purposes though, it made more sense for Sheldon to jump in after the first verse.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
Less funny than usual, still a big fan.
It was one of my favorites.

And I loved the throwaway line slamming HBO for still showing 10 year old reruns of Real Sex.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by light strand View Post
I loved this episode. I didn't mind the high scenes so much. I thought they were actually pretty funny for a basically worn out joke. Of course, every second of Sheldon/Penny is always hilarous. I was psyched when I saw that it was Penny/Sheldon episode because they have such great chemistry.

I thought one of the funniest lines (or not line- but gesture) was when Leonard asked Raj to slow down the rotation Earth for him, and Raj did. It was laugh out loud funny because it was so unexpected. Then Leonard thanked him, and that was funny as well.

Anyway, I love this show.
I thought he squinched up his face just like Hiro in Heroes - to stop time! (Ok - slow down time.)

I loved this episode.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
I thought he squinched up his face just like Hiro in Heroes - to stop time! (Ok - slow down time.)

I loved this episode.
I initially thought he was feeling the forces of gravity pulling him down. I thought that would have been funnier but I was still cracking up when I realized I was wrong.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
And the Soft Kitty duet/round was perfect.
My enjoyment of which was enhanced by the fact that, at the time I watched it, there was in fact a kitty in my lap who was indeed soft, warm, happy, sleepy, and purr, purr, purring.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I like to be surprised by programs. It is very easy for a sitcom especially to walk down a well worn path of standard jokes. This episode shows the good and bad about TBBT in this regard.

The stoned segment mostly doesn't work for me. Once I saw the cookies and heard the description of the women, I knew most of what was going to happen. "Deep thoughts", a freak out that is easily stopped, munchies, instant amnesia, etc. The only part that was non-standard was the American accent references. (Which I see what other posters have noted as liking.)

Similarly, you have a setup with a guy with his eyes closed dressing a naked woman and you know perfectly well that the line "That's not my arm." is coming.

Sheldon and Penny filling out the form in the emergency room, OTOH, didn't have much that could be predicted. I knew when Sheldon was walking back to her with the form that it setup an awkward/bizarre exchange with Penny. But beyond that it was hard to see the lines coming. So that part was interesting to watch.

This show is best when it avoids predictable bits, worst when they recycle decades old cliches. If they can do the former, why are they doing the latter?

Last edited by ftg; 11-18-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
This show is best when it avoids predictable bits, worst when they recycle decades old cliches. If they can do the former, why are they doing the latter?
My guess is that the show's writers are trying to keep the show accessible to the masses while catering to die-hards.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM
It was mostly a good episode. The guys being stoned was funny at first, especially Raj laughing at their accents, but got old quickly. Still, I laughed more at this episode than all the other shows I record.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Quote:
If he had come in in the next line, the two melodies would have been too similar and wouldn't have made a good round. It didn't make sense for Penny to tell him to come in then. He came in at exactly the right point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
You've summed it up perfectly.