Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
Would you let a stranger take your picture?

I don't normally consider myself a photographer but this last week I turned into one.

I was on my way back home from Lake Charles LA. to Dallas. I decided to take a new route that I had never taken before. It was a nondescript highway that shoots from TXHW 69 to I-45. The highway I refer to is Tx-105.

Anyway, the highway itself was a nice drive. It was very scenic. Lots of trees and lots of old buildings that look like they came right out of the 19th century. (Even the Cut & Shoot police station)

My sons and I were in no hurry to get home so we found ourselves pulling over to take lots of pictures. One thing that gave my sons and I a tickle was an old cowboy we saw standing on the side of the road. He came complete with cowboy hat and cowboy boots and a big ol' belt buckle. With him he had a horse along with a sign that read: "Horse for sale"

So we pulled over and asked the guy if we could take his picture. He was real nice, he said "Sure, go right ahead". He even posed with my two sons.

All this left me wondering; how many people would pose for a picture for a random stranger? Would you?

I ask, because this recent picture taking event was quite fun. In fact, I think I may have found myself a new hobby. My Christmas present to myself this year will probably be a fancy schmancy camera of some sort.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Why not? I mean why would anyone object to this? (Unless you're a wanted criminal or something?)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:34 PM
It's very different when you're a girl, alone, and a guy is asking for your picture.

I would most likely not pose for someone else's picture, unless I was in some sort of costume. Just for the heck of it? I'd wonder why.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Having lived in isolated, foreign places (Albania, Afghanistan) I've had several people ask to take my picture and I always happily oblige. I guess they just want a photo of a "westerner."
Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
It's very different when you're a girl, alone, and a guy is asking for your picture.

I would most likely not pose for someone else's picture, unless I was in some sort of costume. Just for the heck of it? I'd wonder why.

Would you still get the "perv vibe" even if you were wearing a turtle neck sweater with baggy jeans? Just currious.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
A few months ago my wife's grandfather was making a trip to DC with a bunch of fellow WWII veterans, and my wife asked me to meet up with them at the WWII memorial in my (USAF) service dress. She dolled our kids up in their little sailor suits. I ended up getting there way early, and had to mill around for an hour or so. In my service dress. At the WWII memorial. With my 2 year old daughter in a sailor suit.

I was thoroughly photographed. Most people just snapped away, some tried to do it when I wasn't looking, and only one woman came up and asked, but she requested certain poses.

I didn't really mind, although I'm an introvert and hate getting attention. I look damn good in uniform and my daughter's as cute as a button, so I understood
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
no, no way, no how. I barely let people I know take pictures.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Would you still get the "perv vibe" even if you were wearing a turtle neck sweater with baggy jeans? Just currious.
I don't know. I have been asked for my picture before, by totally obviously pervy people. I have also been asked to take a picture of someone - you know, tourists - but they never have asked me to be in it. But I have never been asked to have a picture of myself with a stranger that wasn't obviously pervy. So I can't say, not having had that experience.

Now, if they said, "We want a picture with you!" I might not mind that as much, and would agree to that. It's the "You stand by yourself and I'll take a picture of you" that smacks as seriously pervy. And kind of...attention-whorish to say the least (of me) to let them do it.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Charter Member
Pretty regular occurrence when I'm riding my handcycle, generally about every week or two.

Few ask, most are cell phones from passing cars.

Otherwise, I've never been asked.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Depends on the circumstances. If I were doing something that was inherently picturesque (a la said cowboy), I'd probably say okay. If I feel the picture is being taken for less-than-savory reasons, I'd probably refuse.

I used to work in the dealer room at comic book conventions. At the time, females were in short supply at these events, and I'd usually dress fairly provocatively to attract customers to our booth. I wouldn't mind if someone took my picture, but if they asked me to pose, I'd either refuse or ask for a $5 "modeling fee." Why? Because they'd most likely be using it for wank fodder, and I don't really like the notion that someone is using a pic of me like that.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gang green View Post
Why? Because they'd most likely be using it for wank fodder, and I don't really like the notion that someone is using a pic of me like that.
And it's not as though I'm unaware that these things happen. Hell, I know it's happened. But I'd rather at least choose when to be an active participant in someone else's wankfest.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm in the SCA so I regularly dress up in armour and whack my friends with sticks at apublic park during the summer so it happens fairly regularly. I don't have any problems with it. I wouldn't pose in a way I felt uncomportable about though.

This past Halloween I dressed up as Jesus and it was a pretty good costume if I do say so myself. I was stopped at least 20 times for people to have their pictures taken with me. (no exaggeration) I didn't have any problem with it.

I do normally avoid pictures though. If someone stopped me on the street when I'm in normal clothes and asked to take my picture I would probably be just as likely to politely refuse.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
As a former model, I would say Hells Ya! Take my picture. The more the merrier.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
When I wore the Tommorow Knight armor for Halloween, a dozen people snapped my picture before I even got the whole suit on.

I've also had strangers take my picture while I was performing on Philly's streets and parks.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I was at Disneyland wearing a big yellow and black hat with bells on it, with a matching shirt. Two Japanese tourists took a picture with me.
I'm a photographer myself, I also like having my picture taken. (It just doesn't happen all that often.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't really mind it. The real question is why anyone would want to!

There is an interesting project out there called 100 Strangers that is about just taking pictures of strangers and learning about them.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Being Santa, I get it all the time year round....
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
SDSAB
Yes, without hesitation. When I was a Civil War reenactor, I was photographed with some regularity, although I never had the impression that it was for anyone's wanking material. Y'know, sweaty blue wool and gunpowder stains just aren't a turn-on for most folk.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Charter Member
I have been asked, as a foreigner and only white girl for miles, by complete strangers.

I was uncomfortable at first, my Chinese friend just shrugged so I let them. And it happened on and off through our journey.

At one point, we were lost in a tea plantation in Malaysia, and a carload of teenage boys driving by spied us and came a long way out of their way, down dodgy roads, to 'chat' with us.

Of course they wanted a photo with me. One after another, I politely obliged.

As soon as they started to drive off my Chinese girl friend turned and said, "You know they're all going to tell everyone they slept with you!"

And so ended my short lived career as hapless model of white womanhood!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Charter Member
In China, I personally had at least one daily request which I obliged. Our kids, on the other hand, were rock stars. At one point in Baha'i park, we were running on the trails fleeing from large tour groups full of Chinese who wanted to have pictures with the kids. It was the closest I have ever felt to being a Beatle.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, probably. I can't think of a good reason not to.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Charter Member
Only if I was naked.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
BANNED
I was outside of the art museum in Chicago and two girls came up to me and said, "Would you take our picture of us standing by the lion." (They have lion sculptures on the outside.)

So I did and as I was handing the camera back one says to her friend, "Wait I want to take a picture of me with the guy who took our picture by the lions." So her friend takes a picture of me and her. Then the one taking the picture says "Wait, I want a picture of of me and the guy who took our picture too."

So I let them take my photo and they left all happy

Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I am the least photogenic person I know, and my partner is the most. He's extremely tall and striking-looking, and it's not unusual for someone to take his picture (usually without asking first). Nobody ever wants to take mine, and I'm happy with that. I assume they crop me out of his pictures.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Yes, without hesitation. When I was a Civil War reenactor, I was photographed with some regularity, although I never had the impression that it was for anyone's wanking material. Y'know, sweaty blue wool and gunpowder stains just aren't a turn-on for most folk.
Rule 34 dude.

I can't recall that anyone has asked for my photo while I wasn't in some sort of costume, but I don't think I'd have much problem if someone did.

I have been on the interstate on my motorcycle and notice cameras and phones pointed at me from passing vehicles. Not sure why as neither me nor my motorcycle are particularly noteworthy.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Quote:

Yeah, the only time this has happened was a skeevy homeless looking dude. Grody.

I'd probably say no because I hate how I look in pictures and I have body image issues up the wazoo that no stranger needs to hear about.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I have been on the interstate on my motorcycle and notice cameras and phones pointed at me from passing vehicles. Not sure why as neither me nor my motorcycle are particularly noteworthy.
You had bugs in your teeth, dude!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Last year I was eating at Jack in the Box when I was approached by a group of college-aged kids who claimed to be on some sort of youth group scavenger hunt, and asked if they could take a picture of me along with one of the girls in the group eating a french fry from my tray. Eh, sure, why not?

I also once had my photo snapped while reading a book in the park, by some random guy who said it was for some kind of art project. Eh, sure, why not?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
In my entire life, I've had only one request from a stranger for my picture. She said she was a college student majoring in fashion and she was doing some paper on trends that season or something.

I was afraid to ask her if she wanted me as an example of a do or don't, so I just let her take the picture.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gang green View Post
Depends on the circumstances. If I were doing something that was inherently picturesque (a la said cowboy), I'd probably say okay. If I feel the picture is being taken for less-than-savory reasons, I'd probably refuse.
I think this is about how I'd react. I don't mind being that anonymous "girl in the photo," but nothing revealing or risque.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 AM
No, I wouldn't mind. Heck, it happened a few weeks ago. There were these dumbass girls standing at the top of a 300 ft waterfall, and they took a picture of me and my companion who were standing at the bottom of said falls. Later on as we were hiking up the trail we ran into them on their way down, and they took our picture again, this time much much closer.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 AM
There is no legitimate reason for anyone wanting my photograph so no I wouldn't allow it. Of course I don't like photographs of myself in general.

My wife resembles a relatively famous individual and was asked once for a photograph. She feels the same way as I do and politely declined.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Charter Member
I don't like having my picture taken, so I'd decline.

StG
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I live in China, and am one of 6 foreigners in a town of a few million people.

I get my picture taken, whether I like it or not, nearly every time I go outside. Last night alone I probably ended up in a few dozen photo albums.

It's fun to feel like a rock star at first, but after a while it gets to you. When I've got a bad cold and throw my coat on over my jammies to trudge to the pharmacy to get some medicine, I certainly do not want you taking my picture of my red nose and unwashed hair. I also get a little testy when people sneak photos when I'm trying to go about my business- when you take a picture of me while I'm eating lunch or riding the bus or something, it makes me feel like an animal in a zoo. If you want my picture, treat me a like a person and ask me.

When I catch people sneaking photos, usually I whip out my phone and act like I'm taking a picture of them. Funny how people suddenly realize that sneaking photos of people is bad manners!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Sure, why not? In fact, I did a couple days ago, when I was picking up a shelf on Craigslist. Granted, I was fitting a 9' x 6' shelf into a relatively small pickup, but still.

And while we're on the topic... I took a photography class when I was studying abroad in Hong Kong, and the first assignment was to take pictures of at least thirty people's faces from within 3', pretty much as an object lesson in asking random people for their pictures. As the only white guy in the class, and not being able to speak a word of Cantonese, I still found it surprisingly easy to do. Less than a quarter of the people I asked refused. I did sort of cheat a little by asking some Westerners, who universally agreed, but I also took a bunch of locals' pictures. Mostly there were enough English-speakers around that I could explain that I was doing an assignment, but I also got a few people I had to mime the request, and most were quite obliging.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Normally I don't like to have my picture taken by strangers, unless I'm cosplaying. In that case, I don't mind as long as they ask first. I like photographing cosplayers myself, and I always make sure to ask. I don't like to bother them when they're eating, or if they're in a situation when one would normally not like to be photographed (such as crying or in line for the bathroom.) I also allow my daughter to be photographed when she cosplays, but if the photographer gives me a bad vibe (like the creepy middle-aged guy with the fancy camera we saw at AX this year), I refuse as politely as I can. There was one guy who took multiple shots of her, and I watched like a hawk to make sure he wasn't trying any "interesting" angles, as the costume had a skirt. Fortunately he was OK and didn't try anything funny.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Imho, I think the key is getting/asking for permission first, and respecting them if they say no.

Also, just as a matter of courtesy, I wouldn't interrupt them.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
I hate having my picture taken in every way. This is why, ultimately, I know that my frequently awesome ideas for Dragon*Con costumes will never actually be made and worn (at least not by me).
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

As you know, I'm an aspiring filmmaker. (I've worked on several films -- mostly no-budget or student endeavours, but also at least one that got distribution.) Whenever I'm out and about, I see people who have certain 'looks' to them. Maybe it's their clothing, or maybe it's their hairstyle, or maybe it's their body type or face or something else. Many times I've thought that a person's 'look' would be good for a character and wished I could get a photo of her (or him). But then I think of the dialogue:

'Excuse me, I'm a filmmaker and I'd like to take your photo to help me develop a character.'

Yeah, right. That'll fly. Especially since I don't even have my scripts written yet, so I don't have any evidence I am what I say I am.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM
BANNED
Quote:
There is no legitimate reason for anyone wanting my photograph so no I wouldn't allow it.
Well, there is a legitimate reason, even if it is nothing more than the person want to take a photograph of you. And, assuming you are in a public place, you can't not allow it (legally speaking).

To the OP: Please don't be as obnoxious as this guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I was asked to pose for pictures a handful of times when I was a young, skinny thing in college with a collection of outrageous hats. It was always foreign visitors to the campus. I didn't care. I mean, I was wearing an outrageous hat, right?

One of the favourite photos I have taken was of a guy downtown in Boston. He saw that I was taking pictures of buildings and said, "Hey, you wanna take my picture?" so I did. He's just standing there looking smug and local. I love it. No idea who he is.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Now I know that this thread is years old, but I've recently encountered something like this. This past March I had the opportunity to go to China as a school trip (high school) and while at the Summer Palace there were 3 men with fancy - and I mean FANCY- camera's whom as soon as they saw the group that I was with began taking pictures of our group picture.

This isn't what was strange to me, since throughout the whole trip I was confronted by many asking to take pictures with me. But these 3 men with paparazzi style lenses asked to take pictures of me and I thought it would be WITH me. Instead I stood for a good minute as they snapped away. When they were done my group had to wait for the rest and as I was there with my friends, they kept snapping every time I looked anywhere in their general direction.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way that I can find these pictures? Or what they used them for? ANYTHING really. Sorry that this doesn't relate, but it's been bothering me for some time now.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Rule 34 dude....
Heh. I did say most folk.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Lots of people especially Japanese tourists love taking photos of my kids. They never ask though but I don't really mind sometimes I'm in them.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 AM
In a way similar to the OP, yes. In an SCA setting, Sanfermines or similar, people don't even need to ask: getting photographed comes with the costume.

That guy who asked me to pose my butt, no. I still get the heebies thinking of him and it's been 30 years.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Absolutely not. As one of life's uglybugs, I don't want to be responsible for the damage it would cause to someone's camera. Not the mention the lasting trauma...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I don't like having my picture taken, so I'd decline.

StG
+1 Not photogenic.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauler View Post
Our kids, on the other hand, were rock stars. At one point in Baha'i park, we were running on the trails fleeing from large tour groups full of Chinese who wanted to have pictures with the kids. It was the closest I have ever felt to being a Beatle.
I think there must be something about white babies to Asians; when my wife and I were in Amsterdam last year, out of nowhere a whole bunch of Japanese (we think) old lady tourists came out of nowhere and started cooing over our 15 month old son*, and asked to take his picture, which we agreed to.

* He's pretty darned cute; people of all ages, races and genders come up out of nowhere in public to tell us how cute he is and make faces at him. He usually just stares at them like they're insane, unless they're elderly, in which case he plays peekaboo and smiles at them.

If they wanted my picture, I'd let them, although I'd be curious and a bit wary; who wants a picture of a 40 yr old 6'1" 290 lb fat white guy with receding hair, even if he was handsome once upon a time?

Last edited by bump; 05-30-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't love being photographed and don't consider myself photogenic, but I will let almost anyone take my picture if I am asked. It's not an uncommon thing around here (I live in a nice area of downtown Philadelphia). For instance, at various events (street festivals, concerts, even just Friday nights at certain bars and clubs) there are events photographers around. They will photograph you and your friends upon request or with permission, and upload your picture to their Facebook page, where you can find and tag yourself if you desire. It's an extremely easy way for them to promote an event or business.

There are also lots of photographers who live around my area and enjoy taking pictures if people on the street for their personal projects, or to blog. I've let a couple take my picture, but haven't seen the results.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think there must be something about white babies to Asians;
Friends of ours experienced that first hand... NY Times Article about what happened to a photo of their child.