Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Temporary Mythbuster Jessi

I like her. I like her a lot.

She's skilled, she's poised, she's entertaining. And yeah, I even think that she's kinda hot.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, she can install a nitro booster on my engine any time.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
I think she's attractive, but I also feel like she's trying too hard. I'm seriously hoping Kari comes back from maternity leave.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
BANNED
Who was that helper girl that they booted with extreme prejudice a coupla years back? IIRC, she was instrumental in the busted (or was it plausible?) Balloon Girl episode? Man, she seemed like a really nice girl.

Everybody is abuzz about the Balloon Boy, but the Busters had their Balloon Girl long before that incident. Perhaps Balloon Daddy was inspired by that episode?

As a matter of fact, due to that episode, I knew immediately upon seeing the live footage of the supposed Balloon Boy on the major networks that there was no possibility of an actual boy being on that mylar concoct. I called bull from the start.

If the networks had a brain they would have too.

Last edited by devilsknew; 12-16-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
I also get the impression that she's trying too hard. The other Mythbusters seem pretty natural and genuinely enthusiastic when they're presenting things, but she seems like she's introducing a high school play and her parents are in the audience.

She did grow on me with tonight's episode, when I realized she actually knew what she was doing and not just there for looks. I wouldn't mind if they kept her on in addition to Kari.

Anybody else curious why they're moving Mythbusters to Monday? Haven't they been on Wednesday for the entire run of the series?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew View Post
Who was that helper girl that they booted with extreme prejudice a coupla years back? IIRC, she was instrumental in the busted (or was it plausible?) Balloon Girl episode? Man, she seemed like a really nice girl.

Everybody is abuzz about the Balloon Boy, but the Busters had their Balloon Girl long before that incident. Perhaps Balloon Daddy was inspired by that episode?

As a matter of fact, due to that episode, I knew immediately upon seeing the live footage of the supposed Balloon Boy on the major networks that there was no possibility of an actual boy being on that mylar concoct. I called bull from the start.

She claimed to have left for personal reasons. She actually came back to help on a myth, so I doubt it was that bad.

And after the Balloon Boy incident went bust, they actually reaired the Balloon Girl episode and advertised it for that reason.

And yes, I agree that Jessi is trying to hard. She was just like that when she was on "Extreme 4x4" on Spike.

Last edited by enalzi; 12-17-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Charter Member
I like her okay but I'm another vote for "trying too hard".
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic Chaos View Post
I wouldn't mind if they kept her on in addition to Kari.
Some mud wrestling myths you'd like them to investigate?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Some mud wrestling myths you'd like them to investigate?
Not what I had in mind, but now that you mention it, I bet I could think of something that I could propagate across the collective unconscious...

*drums fingers evilly*
Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Quote:

Do you mean Scottie? I didn't think she left on bad terms. She came back to build a ramp for one of the super sized myths. She wasn't just on the balloon girl myth, but appeared regularly during the golden age of MB.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Who was that helper girl that they booted with extreme prejudice a coupla years back?
Scottie left for personal reasons. Which might be something like her SO got a job in Kentucky, or her Mother died and she moved back to Texas, or something. There wasn't any suggestion of bad blood, in any case.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Adam and Tori are the only ones who seem at all natural when setting up the myths, and Tori still often comes across as trying too hard.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 AM
That's part of the geek charm of MB. It is cheesey, but GOOD cheesey.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I like her a lot, in fact, more than Kari.

Jessi used to be on Xtreme 4x4 on Spike, but I'm not sure why she left -- could be any number of reasons.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I also like her more than Kari. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I even think she's cuter than Kari.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThunder View Post
I also like her more than Kari. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I even think she's cuter than Kari.
I just spent a few quality minutes at Jessi's site and she's got a bad girl look going on, but Kari is definitely cuter.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThunder View Post
This IS blasphemy. I say keep them both and let them do a solo show in bikinis.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM
There was another mythbuster Jesse a couple seasons ago. They called her a myth-tern Jesse. Adam used her several times making stuff in the shop.

I'm pretty sure that was a different Jesse from this one.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
That was indeed a different Jesse. She was a mythtern, whereas Jessi is a full-fledged fill-in member of the build team.

I wouldn't say that she has "bad girl" good looks, BTW, but that's just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Here's a link
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Another vote for Jessi trying too hard. She's cute, clearly knows what she's doing, and I'd let her bust my myth if ya know what I mean*, but she's no Kari.

There was a rocketry show that did a few episodes a while back- I think it was called Master Blasters or something stupid like that. Anyway, they kept introducing random attractive women on the show, usually as sort of a guest on whatever team they were going up against. It was pretty clear that the hotties were hired strictly on the basis of their "talents", and not on the basis of any sort of ability. It was fairly blatant, and I felt vaguely insulted (if slightly titillated).

Jessi, at least, seems to know what she's doing.

*By this I mean, of course, that I'd fail miserably at even talking to her.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Adam and Tori are the only ones who seem at all natural when setting up the myths, and Tori still often comes across as trying too hard.
Yeah. I was just re-watching some episodes from the first couple of seasons, and it felt a lot less staged and fakey back then. I mean, not that they're faking the myths or the experiments or whatever. But these days it's a lot more obvious that the setup and the explanation are scripted/staged. Which, that's OK I guess, but I liked it a little better when it felt like they were really just talking off the top of their head about what they were doing.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
I've always wondered how much groveling prevented Grant, Tory, and Kari from being booted with extreme prejudice after they shocked the crap out of Adam duirng the "Baghdad Battery" myth in the 2005 season (episode 29).

He was royally pissed from getting 10,000 volts across his heart.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
My husband and I both like her a lot, seemed to explain what she was doing like she knew what she was talking about, and we really hope she stays on when Kari comes back.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I've always wondered how much groveling prevented Grant, Tory, and Kari from being booted with extreme prejudice after they shocked the crap out of Adam duirng the "Baghdad Battery" myth in the 2005 season (episode 29).

Do they actually work for Adam? My understanding is that Jamie owns M5 Industries and the show MythBusters is owned by Beyond Television Productions. So it's probably one of these two companies that employ Grant, Tory, and Kari.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
As for the trying too hard, I think that something that gets better with more camera time. Remember when Grant started out? He seemed pretty stiff. Now he's a lot more comfortable. Kari started out slowly in front of the camera. She was just a builder who got more camera time as the season went on. Jessi seems like she has a lot of smarts an personality. I think it's just a matter of a few shows before she gets comfortable in front of the camera.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Scottie's also a belly dancer.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
BTW, Grant wasn't on the show when they shocked Adam using the Baghdad battery. That was before his time. It was Scottie who partook in those particular shenanigans.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads95 View Post

From what I've heard it was the producers that suggested they do that to Adam, so he was probably angry at them.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
They've had two mythterns, Jess & Christine. Wikipedia says Christine was one who left due to "personal issues" after Season 3. Jess first appeared on the Archimedes' Death Ray episode. It's unclear if she's really officially gone as she's prone to appearing in the background if you watch careful during the build scenes.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
"Trying too hard" is probably a better term for it than what I was thinking, which was, "She constantly has the expression of an eager chipmunk." Cute and capable, clearly, but she needs to turn it down a notch or seven.

What's that weird tattoo on the back of her upper left arm?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, sure... she's alright. I guess.

But she's no Kari Byron, not by a long shot.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Do they actually work for Adam? My understanding is that Jamie owns M5 Industries and the show MythBusters is owned by Beyond Television Productions. So it's probably one of these two companies that employ Grant, Tory, and Kari.
I imagine Jamie and Adam have some sort of executive control. Kari and Tory are/were employees of Jamie though. You can occasionally see them in earlier episodes before they official joined the show.

These days the almost never work together. Kari, Tory, and Grant don't even work in the same building anymore.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
I *will* grant that, at the end of last night's episode, I was more impressed with Jessi's know-how, when she started rigging the old Fiero with a nitrous system. She did sound like she knew what she was talking about.

When she's "trying too hard", her forehead gets seriously crinkled. It's weird.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I imagine Jamie and Adam have some sort of executive control. Kari and Tory are/were employees of Jamie though. You can occasionally see them in earlier episodes before they official joined the show.

These days the almost never work together. Kari, Tory, and Grant don't even work in the same building anymore.
Jamie has said"I always enjoy seeing Adam in pain".
Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
True that. Who says Jamie doesn't have a sense of humour?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Cute, but trying too hard.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Didn't like her - she really needs to tone it down.

(And I didn't think she was all that cute, either, but YMMV).
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Kari started out slowly in front of the camera. She was just a builder who got more camera time as the season went on.
The first episode I remember of Kari is when they made an impression of her butt for the airline-toilet-suction myth.

And somewhere on the Internet I saw a pic of her doing Diet Coke & Mentos experiments wearing no much more than a mini-lab coat.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
On that note, he probably said to Adam after the cameras were off (or it made the cutting room floor) <said with the walrus mustache finger/accent thing that Adam does> "Oh, stop your whining. It was just a cattle fence, and low amperage to boot... and it was funny." </swtwmf/attad>

That said, the new one is cute, seems more competent than Kari, but isn't nearly as hot.

Last edited by butler1850; 12-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
I wish they wouldn't script the intros to the myths so much. Just have everybody bullshit about the myth for a while, and edit the conversation down to a minute and half. These guys aren't actors or spokesmodels, and the scripted banter is painful.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
And somewhere on the Internet I saw a pic of her doing Diet Coke & Mentos experiments wearing no much more than a mini-lab coat.
Yeah, that was from a photo shoot she did a few years back for FHM Magazine. Mmmmmm.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder
Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1850 View Post
That said, the new one is cute, seems more competent than Kari, but isn't nearly as hot.
Kari's an artist and sculptor. It seems like Jessi may be more of a mechanic, based on her installation of the nitrous system in that car. Different skill sets.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
I wish they wouldn't script the intros to the myths so much. Just have everybody bullshit about the myth for a while, and edit the conversation down to a minute and half. These guys aren't actors or spokesmodels, and the scripted banter is painful.
Agreed.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Makes me long for the days of Tim Hunkin.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Besides Adam (his English film director accent and his "Pirates of the Caribbean" accent), Grant seems to be most prone to doing that, as evidenced by his Keanu Reeves impressions during the "Speed" bus-jumping myth.

Last edited by cochrane; 12-17-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Scottie would be quite good looking if it weren't for the damn tats.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
The first episode I remember of Kari is when they made an impression of her butt for the airline-toilet-suction myth....
I believe that was her first appearance.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
It's true that Jessi is no Kari Byron. By the same token though, Kari is no Jessi Combs.

I'm not just spouting a tautology here. Rather, I think that the two ladies make different contributions and that they're attractive in their own unique ways. Personally, I'd be more inclined to give Jessi a look in real life.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Tori yes, but are you sure about Kari? I seem to recall reading that she just been hired for the show and they had her being the butt model for the toilet seat myth her first day on the job as sort of a hazing for the new kid.