Old 01-13-2001, 12:16 AM
I see pictures of guys in magaine ads, comercials, etc. that have those washboard abs and a thin line of hair strething down from their belly button. I'm a little curious, because i cant imagine that the hair grows so perfectly like that. I'd expect these guys have hairy stomachs, but shave them to be more attractive. Is this true? Is it a commen practice among men or something, because I've never heard about it..
Old 01-13-2001, 12:29 AM
BANNED
Most likely they are shaving it.

It really doesn't seem that odd. Models are paid to call attention to themselves and thier products.

This one did or else you wouldn't have asked.

I don't think it is that commen for everyday guys but shaving various body parts is getting more and more commen.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:08 AM
I ask because the hair on my stomach is a little.. how shall we say.. untammed.

Would shaving this area cause rapid hair growth to occur? And do you think it would be possible to get a close enough shave such that your stomach doesnt grow a... stubble...?
Old 01-13-2001, 03:29 AM
The correct term for this item is the "treasure trail", and I find them ineffably cute. I don't know whether guys have to shave them, though. On me, the hair is definitely thicker there than elsewhere but it sort of blends into my general diffuse hairiness; the other guy whose tummy I have frequent occasion to examine is completely hairless there.
Old 01-13-2001, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur
Would shaving this area cause rapid hair growth to occur?
No. It's a myth that shaving affects the speed of hair growth. The portion of your hair above the level of your skin (i.e. the part you can shave) is dead tissue. The reason you think it grows back thicker is because the hair keeps growing, including the thick bottoms of hairs whose thin points you shaved away, so it looks coarser.
Old 01-13-2001, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by matt_mcl
The correct term for this item is the "treasure trail"...
I hadn't heard that term before after years of certainly making use of that trail... I'll have to keep it in my head to use at the next opportunity.

Quote:
On me, the hair is definitely thicker there than elsewhere but it sort of blends into my general diffuse hairiness; the other guy whose tummy I have frequent occasion to examine is completely hairless there.
My hair is quite spare in most places and I shave it just to make it that much more spare - sometimes I may let it grow for a few months just for a change and I look the way it feels both ways.

As for shaving other bits - don't believe the rumours about shaving your genital region causing that area to scratch endlessly - I've been shaving my genitals for ages and no scratching as it grows back. Then again, I don't tend to let it grow back so there wouldn't necessarily be scratching, would there?

Xxiii
Old 01-13-2001, 07:09 AM
Hollywood types have been shaving their torsos for years... it all depends on what the current fashion is. Look at all the gladiator flicks in the 50's... smooth was in, so all the leading men were smooth. Yet in the 60's, when a more natural look was in favor, the same men had hairy chests.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:37 AM
My brother shaves his chest and stomach. Up until he was about 17 I thought he was naturally hairless, until one day he forgot and you could see stubble on his stomach.

He wont tell me why he does it. I have no idea. My treasure trail is largely considered a very attractive thing..

Brought to you by the SDMB's Lord of Blades.
Old 01-13-2001, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by matt_mcl
The correct term for this item is the "treasure trail", and I find them ineffably cute. I don't know whether guys have to shave them, though. On me, the hair is definitely thicker there than elsewhere but it sort of blends into my general diffuse hairiness; the other guy whose tummy I have frequent occasion to examine is completely hairless there.

I find them cute too. I'm not very hairy, but I have a little bit of a tresure trail. The hair seems to get thickest at that line, and heads down to the pubes (looking at it, it seems as if the hairs kind of point towards that spot, making the treasure trail). As you go out from that line, the hair gets muc thinner. Looking at my chest, if I tanned, the hairs wouldnt be nearly as noticeable.

I guess some guys would shave to enhance the line, but why keep the hair there if you're going to shave most of it off?
Old 01-13-2001, 10:51 AM
i dont shave my stomach and i have an absolutely perfect treasure trail
i think it varies from individual to individual
some people have thin and staight pubic hair while others have really thick and curly pubic hair
Old 01-13-2001, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
The correct term for this item is the "treasure trail"
A few years ago my best friend's girlfriend faxed me a (rather obscene) cartoon she drew illustrating the "Tantric Treasure Trail" on a female figure. Pretty funny, but a female co-worker found it before I did.

The same girl faxed a note to me (she got bored at her job) that said, "Hecky wants to lick you." (Hecubus is their dog.) My (female) boss found it before I did and I was reoyally taken to task for it. As if I expected such a thing! She was unmoved when I told her that Hecky is not a person. All I could think was, "Geez, I'm glad my friend didn't kill someone. Otherwise I'd be in big trouble!"

I now return you to your Original Post.

'Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man.' -- Lu-Tze