Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,146
Uranium for sale on Amazon?

I am sure the scientific types out there will be extremely unimpressed by this. But for those of us who don't work with radioactive materials, this is pretty unusual. A friend pointed me to the entry on amazon.com.

Description:
"Radioactive sample of uranium ore. Useful for testing Geiger Counters. License exempt. Uranium ore sample sizes vary. Shipped in labeled metal container as shown. We are always in compliance with Section 13 from part 40 of the NRC Nuclear Regulatory Commission rules and regulations and Postal Service regulations specified in 49 CFR 173.421 for activity limits of low level radioactive materials."

So how low level is this stuff? Does one keep it in the garage? Will I start glowing if I kept this in the bedroom?
#2
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 23,861
I assume this is the Amazon listing in question. It's uranium ore (the stuff that comes out of the ground), not refined uranium. The picture of the sample is labeled 205 CPM, which is a fairly harmless amount of radiation, though I wouldn't carry it around in my underwear.

ETA: From one of the customer reviews:

Quote:
I purchased this product 4.47 Billion Years ago and when I opened it today, it was half empty.

Last edited by friedo; 03-08-2010 at 11:58 PM.
#3
Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 4,965
You think that's bad? Look what else they're selling there: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fiestawa...item5190ffc783

EDIT: Oops, Amazon, not eBay!

Last edited by GreasyJack; 03-09-2010 at 01:16 AM.
#4
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
The picture of the sample is labeled 205 CPM, which is a fairly harmless amount of radiation, though I wouldn't carry it around in my underwear.
Wait--isn't that where everyone carries their samples of radioactive material?

Man, I sure fell hard for that prank.
__________________
-Christian
"You won't like me when I'm angry. Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources." -- The Credible Hulk
#5
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
It's uranium ore (the stuff that comes out of the ground), not refined uranium. The picture of the sample is labeled 205 CPM, which is a fairly harmless amount of radiation, though I wouldn't carry it around in my underwear.
I'm not an expert on physics, but I believe that even metallic uranium (in natural isotopic proportions) isn't all that radioactive, and it's mostly an alpha emitter which even light clothing will stop. I wouldn't keep it in my underwear either though, and since it's a heavy metal and chemically toxic, I'd be very careful about it.
#6
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle ear
Posts: 5,954
The customer reveiws are the best part of the page. Set aside a free hour for reading them.
#7
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyJack View Post
You think that's bad? Look what else they're selling there: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fiestawa...item5190ffc783

EDIT: Oops, Amazon, not eBay!
Just the thing every wannabe superhero needs.
#8
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,515
why not, I have a tritium fob on my keyring.
#9
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
I assume this is the Amazon listing in question. ...
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Fresh Whole Rabbit
Tuscan Whole Milk, 1 Gallon, 128 fl oz
Wolf Urine Lure-32 oz

I suspect that a particular member of Geococcyx has been shopping!

CMC fnord!
#10
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
I assume this is the Amazon listing in question. It's uranium ore (the stuff that comes out of the ground), not refined uranium. The picture of the sample is labeled 205 CPM, which is a fairly harmless amount of radiation, though I wouldn't carry it around in my underwear.
I think you are misreading the label. Doesn't it say 1205/CPM? Does that make it any more dangerous?

ETA: I love that you can buy that one for $29.95 or a Used one for $2,499.00.

Last edited by justrob; 03-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
#11
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Fresh Whole Rabbit
Tuscan Whole Milk, 1 Gallon, 128 fl oz
Wolf Urine Lure-32 oz

I suspect that a particular member of Geococcyx has been shopping!

CMC fnord!
You can't post stuff like this ... I almost lost it at work.

But I think it comes from this, which is worth a look (depending on how you define 'worth'):

http://amazon.com/Funniest-Amazo...7454WJTWKF4GXD
#12
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Shouting Grasshopper
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 13,206
If you put some of that uranium next to an ant hill, what will happen to THEM?
#13
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
why not, I have a tritium fob on my keyring.
Wow. How bright is it? Does the room have to be near pitch dark to see its glow.
#14
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseloverFat View Post
Wow. How bright is it? Does the room have to be near pitch dark to see its glow.
it isn't overly bright in the normal sense, but when you are in a cave, and there is absolutely no light, the eyes adapt and it gets bright enough to walk around with as a light source =)

Heck, for the price it is worth it. How many other chances do you get to walk around with a radioactive source and not get into trouble =)

Did you see the radioactive marbles you can get?

Last edited by aruvqan; 03-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.
#15
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrob View Post
I think you are misreading the label. Doesn't it say 1205/CPM? Does that make it any more dangerous?

ETA: I love that you can buy that one for $29.95 or a Used one for $2,499.00.
The used one was for Pu-239.

I was glad I paid enough attention in physics to get the half life joke on the one review.
#16
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
it isn't overly bright in the normal sense, but when you are in a cave, and there is absolutely no light, the eyes adapt and it gets bright enough to walk around with as a light source =)

Heck, for the price it is worth it. How many other chances do you get to walk around with a radioactive source and not get into trouble =)

Did you see the radioactive marbles you can get?
Actually the tritium key fobs are illegal in the US.
#17
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Actually the tritium key fobs are illegal in the US.
How are they selling them then? Its an American company. You'd think there would be some kind of crackdown with a site with such high visibility (I always see it linked to when people joke about buying uranium).

I found another at DealExtreme here. It looks small enough to be turned into a Green Lantern ring.
#18
Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseloverFat View Post
How are they selling them then? Its an American company. You'd think there would be some kind of crackdown with a site with such high visibility (I always see it linked to when people joke about buying uranium).

I found another at DealExtreme here. It looks small enough to be turned into a Green Lantern ring.
I don't know. Either nobody at the NRC knows about it or enforcing it isn't a big priority. It's silly, because tritium watches are fine, but key fobs are classified as "frivolous items" and cannot be licensed for production or sale.
#19
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseloverFat View Post
How are they selling them then? Its an American company. You'd think there would be some kind of crackdown with a site with such high visibility (I always see it linked to when people joke about buying uranium).

I found another at DealExtreme here. It looks small enough to be turned into a Green Lantern ring.
I don't know if this is a question for another thread or not. Do these really contain tritium? I was under the impression that this stuff is extremely rare. At the very least, you aren't buying it at the neighborhood Wal Mart.
#20
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,944
They do. Tritium isn't rare or super expensive. It doesn't take much even to light up something like an exit sign, and it's relatively easy to produce (if you have a nuclear reactor handy.)

PS - http://nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-co...09/09-011.html

Last edited by yoyodyne; 03-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
#21
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: With Candy Darling
Posts: 15,989
Uranium like that isn't very hard to get ahold of. I have quite a lot of uranium now in my Cabinet of Curiosities. According to my Geiger Counter, just 5 feet from the glass cabinet there is no perceivable difference between the cabinet and background radiation.
#22
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Antioch
Posts: 11,459
And as soon as I opened the box, my cat dropped dead.

Last edited by The Second Stone; 03-10-2010 at 10:43 PM.
#23
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
why not, I have a tritium fob on my keyring.
As far as I can tell United Nuclear is some kind of scam company. I tried buying this and was given some kind of BS reason that it couldn't be shipped to my perfectly valid address. Now I am just trying to get a refund.

I did a little googling and found out the the owner is serious UFO nut who has been in legal trouble with the government for selling some of his wares. If youre interested in tritium get it elsewhere.
#24
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast of USA
Posts: 3,317
If you're too lazy to refine it yourself, just order some yellow cake: http://amazon.com/Duncan-Hines-C...dp/B0002IMS5K/
#25
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseloverFat View Post
As far as I can tell United Nuclear is some kind of scam company. I tried buying this and was given some kind of BS reason that it couldn't be shipped to my perfectly valid address. Now I am just trying to get a refund.

I did a little googling and found out the the owner is serious UFO nut who has been in legal trouble with the government for selling some of his wares. If youre interested in tritium get it elsewhere.
Funny, it arrived just fine.
http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/y...8781785207.jpg

Glows nicely, move it variously between purse, keychain and necklace for the heck of it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: sexual inclination are podiatrists doctors dear synonym floss urban dictionary twc botnet email sexiest animal causeway vs bridge electrostim prostate labia minora function is pewter toxic what is sortie squiggly line symbol wire fm antenna glue foam together how long is a coon's age does a passenger in a car have to show id is fricking a bad word highest like to dislike ratio best make up counter astronaut ice cream wholesale rogaine long term effects ye gods and little fishes girl in tank top without bra getting sick after working out po box key number