Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM
How do you define being "cut off" while driving?

Being "cut off" while driving is one of those terms I've heard used incessantly, but never bothered to really think about what it means. Out of curiosity I finally googled it up and apparently being "cut off" means simply that someone pulls into your lane in front of you at a closer distance than you are comfortable with. Some people defining being "cut off" extending out to 50 yards.

How close does someone have to be to you in merging before you define it as being "cut off". What is your acceptable personal space zone in driving?

Quote:
To "cut someone off" means that you drive your car into their lane in front of them. Some drivers are more sensitive to having this happen to them than others. I personally only feel "cut off" if the driver pulling in front of me does it at a fairly close distance say under 30 feet. Some drivers may be offended if you pull in front of them at distance of 50 yards.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Close enough that I have to seriously brake (not just tap) to avoid hitting them or maintain a proper following distance.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
If I have to hit my brakes to avoid a collision, I feel like I've been cut off. If I just have to take my foot off the gas, I don't consider that cut off, but I do think that's rude as well. Plus, anyone who moves in front of me at a distance less than 1 car length, unless traffic is stopped/jammed, has cut me off as well, regardless of how fast they're going.

So if a truck turns into my lane 100 yards away, but I'm going 45 and he's going 5 and takes forever to come up to speed, I'd still consider that cut off.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
BANNED
Happened to me yesterday. I'm driving down the highway and some knucklehead decided they needed to be in the far right lane from the far left. It didn't require slamming on the brakes, but if I had my attention anywhere else than eyes front, I may have hit him.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
Close enough that I have to seriously brake (not just tap) to avoid hitting them or maintain a proper following distance.
This is it for me also. If there is a reasonable amount of space between me and the guy in front of me, I don't consider a car pulling in cutting me off. If there is less than one car length (you would be surprised) then I do. I never consider someone entering my lane from a forced merge a cut off, unless there is an every other car merge situation and some knucklehead feels he has to make it two merges in one space.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Yep. If I have to hit my brakes in order to not hit them.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Charter Member
If I have to brake or slow down (if I have to slow down, they should have fallen in behind me).
Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Charter Member
I only consider myself cut off if I have to brake. And if I don’t have to slam on brakes, it’s no big deal to me. But let me tell you, if anyone ever slows my husband down in the slightest, he is pissed off! I don’t get it.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
What everyone else said, but especially this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
...(if I have to slow down, they should have fallen in behind me).
Seriously! Get behind me, shit-for-brains, if you're going to drive slower than I am. Can you not gauge speed, or are you just an asshole? Having to slow down is annoying enough, but what you really shouldn't do is make me slam on my brakes, then start driving 10 mph slower than I am. I need a rocket launcher for my car.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Being 'cut off' is one of those things that upset people that I really don't get.

I mean, unless I have to slam my breaks, and I fear for my life, I could care less if you cut in front of me. Go for it! Enjoy.

In upstate NY, people really take it hard. Every single time I go to NYC though, the problem disappears. Everyone cuts off everyone and it is no big deal, it seems to me.

I drive defensively, always have. I am aware. If you need to get in front, even if I have to tap my breaks, it's not a big deal...I'm aware of you. My sister in law sees RED when it happens. I have no idea what the big deal is.

Now, if someone cuts me off, I do hope that they will keep their speed up.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Charter Member
It's like the people who pull out in front of you when you're the only car on the road, then proceed to make you wait as they make a turn two blocks later - you couldn't let me go by? You had to interfere with my stress-free evening?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Having to brake sharply and/or take evasive action to avoid a collision when when someone pulls in front of me defines being "cut off".
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
It's like the people who pull out in front of you when you're the only car on the road, then proceed to make you wait as they make a turn two blocks later - you couldn't let me go by? You had to interfere with my stress-free evening?
Or if you're waiting at a light and some moron coming up behind you moves into the lane next to you, floors it when the light turns, then gets right back in your lane and makes a turn, causing you to stop and wait. WTF is that all about? Just stay behind me at the damn light so I don't get stuck behind you!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Having to brake sharply and/or take evasive action to avoid a collision when when someone pulls in front of me defines being "cut off".
That, and similar actions described above. I'd also add being in a situation where you're forced into another lane or onto the shoulder to avoid a side-by-side collision.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Being 'cut off' is one of those things that upset people that I really don't get.

I mean, unless I have to slam my breaks, and I fear for my life, I could care less if you cut in front of me. Go for it! Enjoy.
The thing that drives me crazy the most about this is if there is nobody behind me, yet the person pulling out in front of me couldn't wait five seconds for me to go by, they had to pull out right in front of me instead.

And of course, they're always in a big hurry to pull out, but once they're in front of you then they just poke along.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Being "cut off" while driving is one of those terms I've heard used incessantly, but never bothered to really think about what it means.
It's sort of a weird term, I think. It sounds like something that would happen to John Wayne Bobbitt.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
BANNED
Nzinga, the only time it really bothers me if it was a situation that was dangerous. The old adrenaline rush is rough sometimes.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoloco View Post
Nzinga, the only time it really bothers me if it was a situation that was dangerous. The old adrenaline rush is rough sometimes.
No doubt. I completely understand that, it gets to me too, if I have to slam breaks to avoid a collision. And it's not like I don't completely understand getting upset behind the wheel...you should hear me grumble when someone doesn't just go when the light turns freakin' green. What on earth are they waiting for?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
The Zeroeth Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The thing that drives me crazy the most about this is if there is nobody behind me, yet the person pulling out in front of me couldn't wait five seconds for me to go by, they had to pull out right in front of me instead.

And of course, they're always in a big hurry to pull out, but once they're in front of you then they just poke along.
GAH! Got angry just thinking about this. I seem to encounter this more than anything. Someone has gotten tired of waiting for traffic to pass and decides to gun it out in front of me, causing me to hit my brakes. After the danger has passed, the first thing I do is look in my rear view, only to discover there was NO ONE behind me. *sigh*
Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I live in Atlanta and I don't consider myself "cut off" until I hear tires screeching or I have to swerve.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Charter Member
Agree with the "brakes" part, but there's one other condition: If I have the left turn arrow, and the car is across from me, waiting to turn right on red, and is looking to their left and then pulling out thinking it's "clear," not noticing the lane of cars turning opposite them. I may not have enough speed yet to hit my brakes, but they are still idiots for not realizing that a line of cars is turning into the lane they just pulled into.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:

Considering most people only consider occasions when they're forced to slam on the brakes as being cut off, what I think you don't get is what people mean by the phrase...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Considering most people only consider occasions when they're forced to slam on the brakes as being cut off, what I think you don't get is what people mean by the phrase...
Yeah, but the thread is about what we consider being cut off, and I see a whole bunch of posts that cite situations that don't include SLAMMING breaks. Or maybe I don't understand that word... It doesn't mean 'hit' to me. And of course all the other things cited as being 'cut off' in this thread include swerving or going slow in front or long lines and just lots of stuff that I have noticed in real life people counting as being cut off. But just because I don't get why it bothers people is not a judgment call. I get upset at lots of stuff on the road. I'm sure few peole understand why I can't tolerate waiting at a green light for 2 seconds.

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 03-18-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but the thread is about what we consider being cut off, and I see a whole bunch of posts that cite situations that don't include SLAMMING breaks. Or maybe I don't understand that word... It doesn't mean 'hit' to me. And of course all the other things cited as being 'cut off' in this thread include swerving or going slow in front or long lines and just lots of stuff that I have noticed in real life people counting as being cut off. But just because I don't get why it bothers people is not a judgment call. I get upset at lots of stuff on the road. I'm sure few peole understand why I can't tolerate waiting at a green light for 2 seconds.
The thing is, on a highway you shouldn't have to hit your brakes. To me, hitting them is slamming them (as opposed to applying them). On a highway, if I see brake lights far in front of me, I have enough time to slow without any brakes if I'm driving at an optimum distance.

Somebody signaling a lane change and then nudging over so that maybe I have to slow down? Not a cutoff. If I see them and apply my brakes first to let them in? Not a cutoff. If they pull in front of me in such a way that I'll hit them if I don't brake right now? A definite cutoff.

Doesn't happen to me too much, but it doesn't bother me. I note that the driver is a jerk and one to watch out for.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Charter Member
One of my rules for driving is that my actions should never cause another driver to do something - if your entry into my lane causes me to do something, you've used bad judgement.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Charter Member
Oddly, I am nearly un-piss-off-able when I’m behind the wheel of a car, but if I’m walking and someone in front of me is blocking the way or plodding slowly along, I just want to shove them.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Hilarity and Cat, I agree, the driver should not make me hit my breaks. But when I do have to, it is just one of those things that people do that don't bother me. Randomly, other things they do happen to bother me a lot.

Also, I am not really going by this thread. I mean in real life, I know a lot of people who complain of being cut off if someone passes them closely, and I really think what they mean is that someone was 'rude' to them on the highway. They'll say, "That jerk cut me off!" And I always think, no, they just are passing. It's not personal. No need for my sis in law to say, "Aha! You are now stuck at the same red light I am! Now what? What did cutting me off get you! Nothing!"
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Charter Member
One word. Brakes.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
As others have said, it's a matter of a car getting in front of me, in spite of traveling at a lower speed. If I have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him, I've been cut off.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Exactly. If I have to slow down unexpectedly and substantially (by more than 15 mph, say) because they're suddenly in front of me, then they've 'cut me off' in traffic.

If someone cuts in front of me but is going either at least as fast as I am, or only a few mph slower, then it's no biggie.

In general, if someone's going faster than I want to go, I want them in front of me, and I'll cheerfully let them through. And if they're going slower than I am, I want to be in front of them, and would hope that they would want me to be in front of them too. It's when they clearly don't want that, that they're a problem.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I define it as me having to do something other than what I am already doing at the moment AND its only/mostly because the OTHER driver doesnt know how to drive and/or doesnt give a rats ass if his actions negatively impact others.

Lets say I am going down a highway. Another driver is coming in from a standstill off a side street. If he pulls out and I have to slow down to avoid hitting him I was cut off IF he could have waited a few seconds and let me pass and THEN pull out because there was NOBODY behind me. Now, if the road is busy, and he's gotta make somebody slow down to pull out, even me, thats fine.

Same sorta thing goes for lane changes, passings, merging lanes, on/off ramps blah blah blah.

Now of course there are levels of cut off too. At one end, "gee, thanks, that was "considerate" of you bub". And at the other, "begeezus, you are gonna kill someone and hopefully its only you when you finally cause the totally avoidable accident".

Driving should be a beautiful dance of precision, consideration and forward thinking, not an everyman for himself death match.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Either close distance, or a combination of moderate distance with a speed well below the posted and/or prevailing.

That being said, I recall about 15 years ago, I was driving down I-35 in the Minneapolis area (suburban), driving the posted speed in the left lane. The right lane was driving about 5 mph slower. I needed to get into the right lane to exit in about 1/2 mile. I got to where I could see this pickup in the right lane in my rear view mirror, which should have been more than sufficient distance, and then merged right, about 3 car lengths in front of him in heavy traffic. Guy starts honking, screaming and gesturing wildly, his pickup swerving all over the road while he does so. We both get off at the next exit, I get in the right turn lane, he gets in the left turn lane (two lanes over from me). Then, with us both surrounded by vehicles, he gets out of his truck and starts walking around screaming at me - about how I nearly hit him, how I tried to run him off the road, how dangerous I was, blah blah blah.

Then he had people yelling and honking at him, because he's still carrying on like this when the lights change and we start going.

I merged over, in heavy traffic, three full car lengths ahead of him. He should have considered that to be courteous driving for the conditions, but he went berzerk.

Last edited by Chimera; 03-19-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: make it clear road is I-35, so people don't think we were driving 35mph
Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
There's an intermediate step, which is rude without really rising to the level of "cutting me off." When I am at my minimum safe following distance -- usually because traffic is dense, and if I were to stay well back, people would just keep cutting over assuming it's an "opening," so I stay as close to the car in front of me as I feel is safe -- and someone then darts into THAT space (almost always without signaling). Now that person is inside my minimum following distance and I have to slow down to open up a safe distance again -- running the risk of ANOTHER driver cutting in, making me slow down again. If that were to continue indefinitely, I'd wind up driving backwards to make room for everyone.

If they signal and hesitate, I'm usually more than happy to let them in, even if I have to slow down a bit. But it's people who suddenly (without signaling) dart into my following distance when I'm already being careful not to rear-end the guy in front who irritate me.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
There's an intermediate step, which is rude without really rising to the level of "cutting me off." When I am at my minimum safe following distance -- usually because traffic is dense, and if I were to stay well back, people would just keep cutting over assuming it's an "opening," so I stay as close to the car in front of me as I feel is safe -- and someone then darts into THAT space (almost always without signaling). Now that person is inside my minimum following distance and I have to slow down to open up a safe distance again -- running the risk of ANOTHER driver cutting in, making me slow down again. If that were to continue indefinitely, I'd wind up driving backwards to make room for everyone.

If they signal and hesitate, I'm usually more than happy to let them in, even if I have to slow down a bit. But it's people who suddenly (without signaling) dart into my following distance when I'm already being careful not to rear-end the guy in front who irritate me.
How fast is traffic moving? Where I drive this happens to people leaving four car lengths of room in front of them when the traffic is moving 10 - 20 mph. I never consider drivers moving into that space cutting anyone off. Now, if you are going 70, it is a different story.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I saw an example this morning four or five cars in front of me. One road I go on has a merge from the right and a car pool lane on the left. Some car poolers think that it is a crime against humanity if they do not move into the car pool lane 200 feet from the merge. (Traffic here is very heavy.) This one guy tried to ram his way from the right lane to the middle lane where there wasn't enough room, and wound up blocking both. That is cutting off.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
<snip>
Driving should be a beautiful dance of precision, consideration and forward thinking, not an everyman for himself death match.
It should be, but it happens so rarely here that I notice it when it does happen; "Hey, everyone merged properly, everyone went through the four-way stop properly, everyone turned properly - that was awesome!" I blame extremely low standards for driver training.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm with the "if I have to hit the brakes to keep from hitting them" school of thought.

Also, if someone cuts in front of me without using a signal (as in, no warning), even if I don't have to hit the brakes hard, I get pissed. If they're 5 car lengths ahead of me and there's no traffic, then fine, whatever. But if you try to slide in between me and another car and don't have the courtesy to trip the signal, then yes, you're an ass.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM
How about if they're upset you're not in as big a hurry as they are and, attempting to show you a lesson, cream the front corner of your car with the back corner of their pickup? That's what happened this morning and I think it fell into the "cut off" category. Bonus points if they attempt to flee the scene and then lie to the police and insurance companies about who did what.

It never ceases to amaze me how some experience you have will be the subject of an ongoing thread. Hope nobody starts one on "When were you last murdered?"

Last edited by lieu; 03-23-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
If you move into my lane and I have to brake at all you just cut me off. Why not wait until it's safe to do it without impeding traffic?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
No collision, no foul. Just so long as they don't mind if I zoom around them and slam on my brakes, we're good.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some experience you have will be the subject of an ongoing thread. Hope nobody starts one on "When were you last murdered?"
Well, you're standing on the corner flagging all the girls you see
Now do like EC and let those ladies be
You know that's wrong, man, you know that's wrong
Boy, you better get control -- that's how you got killed before.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Is this cutting someone off?

I was exiting my school campus and there are two lanes there was a Mini Cooper in the far left lane and I was exiting the parking lot and to go I have to enter the right lane, if I saw and made sure that the car was going to stay in the left lane and go into the right lane is that cutting him off because my passenger was yelling at me because she stated that "wow are you just going to cut him off like that" but I was in the right one and he was in the left lane.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
This - and maybe add having to pray that I don't get rear-ended by the person behind me and check the mirror quick to see how close it came.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:22 PM
I always make to assumption that the other driver just made an accidental mistake. It never has or ever will bother me in the slightest unless I know it is intentional without a doubt.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Cutting someone off is an "illegal lane change"

So what's an illegal lane change?
- no signal, and/or
- unsafe distance

What's an unsafe distance?
- the same following distance you're supposed to maintain behind someone - as in several seconds worth of space.

So what's cutting someone off? You either don't bother to signal, or you cut into their safe following distance. Most people are so clueless about a safe following distance that it's no surprise they don't think they're being arses when they cut someone off.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:49 AM
My basic rule of a proper lane change, is that the other driver(s) shouldn't have to change what they're doing.

So pretty much that, but for me. If I'm leaving the usual following distance and a person rapidly swings into it, that's cutting off, especially if I have to brake.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:33 AM
As long as I can slow down smoothly (reduce throttle or very mild braking), and the person gets out of the way, I don't mind if they pull out in front. If my passengers lurch forward in their seats because you pulled out in front of me, that's cutting me off.

When I was younger, it seemed like I got cut off a lot. Not that I am older, and actually obey the speed limits like I'm supposed to, it seems to be a rare occurrence. Imagine that!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM
'Cut off' to me means having to do anything that I wouldn't have done if the jerk had put on his turn signal and gave me a reasonable amount of time to see that he was going to move into my lane.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 PM
The problem with route drivers if they're rude all the time. You know they are a jerk 5 minutes ago when they cut off that other dude. And, just about to do it again.
Every time you see a jerk or route driver like that it makes it less safe on the road. No one wants to be unsafe on the road and have to drive around with jerk drivers cutting them off. That's why this is such a problem. Represents everything about driving.