Old 04-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Should I let my 14-year old daughter get thong underwear?

The title says it all....

I don't really have a problem with thongs, but they seem to me to be about nothing but "sexy". My daughter is smart, and has exhibited no behavioral signs that she's thinking about showing anyone her underwear. No boyfriend, we set good rules, etc.

But, I'm all....something about it. I don't think that 7 year-olds should wear eyeshadow, because makeup is to me a way to look more attractive to the opposite sex. As are thongs, right?

So what do you think?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Maybe you should let her know that thongs are not in anymore. Now it's all about the boy short panty. And it's way more hygenic and less trashy looking if it's accidentally seen from behind.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Alice is right. Boyshorts are sexy as shit. If you want your daughter to look REALLY HAWT you'll buy her those.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Personally, the only kind of underwear I'd wear if my mother purchased it for me is the kind that comes in packs of six from Fruit of the Loom.

I think you're supposed to say no, she saves up her money and buys them to rebel, you shake your head, and she discovers they're uncomfortable anyway (because they are!).
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, I'd say that eye shadow is different because you're meant to see that. Theoretically no one has to see a thong. Plus if you treat it like just another underwear, she probably won't see it as sexy undies. Then again I picked up my birth control from my dad's office when I became sexually active, so...boundaries, maybe, I lack?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Alice is right. Boyshorts are sexy as shit. If you want your daughter to look REALLY HAWT you'll buy her those.
This.

Boyshirts are the shit, on women of age, of course.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todderbob View Post
This.

Boyshirts are the shit, on women of age, of course.
I'm assuming you mean boyshorts. Though I guess boyshirts can be hot, too...
Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
The nasty thing about thongs, besides a whale tale being on display on a 14 year-old, is that they constantly slide back and forth between anus and vagina. That could mean a lot of costly trips to the doctor, as that causes some urinary tract infections.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Alice is smart to bring up the whale tail. It might cover your daughter's "tramp stamp," which is obviously poor form.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Let her. If she's showing off her panties to boys at school, it doesn't really matter if it's boyshorts or a thong or granny panties. I think 14 is old enough to decide what kind of underwear she'd like to wear.

Last edited by Rex Goliath; 04-17-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Why does she say she wants them?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Meh. It's not like you'd be giving her drugs.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 AM
I'd say yes, but I'd make her pay for them. And make sure she has the appropriate wardrobe to keep it covered (that is, tops that are long enough and pants/skirts that are high enough to completely cover her rear).
Old 04-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Meh. It's not like you'd be giving her drugs.
Not 'till she's 16.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Eh, it's just underwear. I know women who genuinely think they're more comfortable, and when I was a teenage girl I was curious enough to have a pair. As long as she isn't wearing clothing where you can casually see them I don't see the problem, but I feel that way about all underwear, not just thongs.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
The nasty thing about thongs, besides a whale tale being on display on a 14 year-old, is that they constantly slide back and forth between anus and vagina. That could mean a lot of costly trips to the doctor, as that causes some urinary tract infections.
Ew, really? They've never sounded comfortable to me and I've never worn one but I had no idea that they could cause a UTI. Is this common?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Show her your thong, while you're wearing it. She won't want any any more. Honestly it's not a big deal if she wants them or not.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 AM
I wear them and for me they are all about preventing VPL rather than the sexy. I don't think I'd have an issue with my daughter wearing them - but I guess it depends on why she wants to wear them - has she said?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Do I even want to ask what VPL stands for? Also disregard the misinformation about boy shorts being hotter then thongs. The thong combined with mini skirt lingerie is top tier.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 AM
At age 14, she is trying to look sexy because that's well into dating age. If you have no objection to her dating, I can't see how you object to her trying to attract guys.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb867 View Post
Do I even want to ask what VPL stands for?
Visible Panty Line would be my guess.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-17-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 AM
VPL=Visible panty lines.

I am old (40) and didn't know this. My older co-worker knows, because her daughters (4) range in age between 15-23.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:38 AM
ignore ajb867, boyshorts are where it's at. Especially black with the frilly. oooooh mmmmm..
Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
At age 14, she is trying to look sexy because that's well into dating age.
"Well into"?? The mind boggles.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 AM
The only reason I wear thongs is to make sure I have no VPL. If that's her reasoning, and you can see that it's an issue, then there's no problem with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
"Well into"?? The mind boggles.
I had a girlfriend at 9. My best friend did too. We weren't particularly exceptional and that was 20 years ago. http://teenhut.net/dating-relati...lfriend-2.html

Having sex and having a romantic partner are separate things. But even still the average age for ending your virginity is around 15 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-17-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
But even still the average age for ending your virginity is around 15 if I remember correctly.
Careful. Their heads might explode.

I don't think letting her buy herself a thong is any big deal. But I think they're tacky as hell hanging out the back of someone's pants. Boyshorts would definitely be the better option.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Get her a couple of pairs of thongs, and maybe a few other styles of underwear in her size-- at this age, it's pretty harmless and she's old enough to make decisions about what kind of underwear she likes. I had started wearing thongs around this age, and it stemmed from curiosity. Wasn't really a sexual thing, and it didn't make me any more sexually precocious than I may have been without them. She's at an age that's prime for exploring her own self image and sexuality, and a lot of the time, kids who are allowed these small acts of expression will forgo the larger, more problematic behaviors you may be worried about.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 AM
FWIW, for all ladies who wear thongs to prevent visible panty lines: if your pants are tight enough that panty lines are an issue, then be aware that what is visible from behind when you wear a thong is probably worse. Whether or not the whale tale is showing. You're better off wearing no-seam, skin-tone panties.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
No, the sexualization of the mass culture and populace must be prevented even if it's one small personal battle like this.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis LeMay View Post
No, the sexualization of the mass culture and populace must be prevented even if it's one small personal battle like this.
Oh, honey, I think you took a wrong turn somewhere around 1972. It's way too late.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Oh, honey, I think you took a wrong turn somewhere around 1972. It's way too late.
Heck, it's been all downhill since 1910.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Think that ship sailed during the Summer of Love if not before.

If my hypothetical daughter wanted to wear thong panties, I tell her Hell No. Fortunately for her, I generally delegate all clothing questions to her hypothetical mother. In the event they disagree, I will break the tie, but Daughter will know that her mother is way more permissive than I am. If such an issue is appealed to me, I am quite likely to require several layers of clothing that covers her from the tops of her shoes to the bottom of her chinny-chin-chin, + no less than 2 adult chaperones for any and all social activities. Daughter will be far happier trusting her mother's discretion.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately quite true. Spengler foresaw in 1918 that Western civilization would gradually degenerate into more primitive attitudes on sex in the next few centuries. Observe how the moral decency of the Roman Republic degenerated into the notorious hedonism of the later Principate.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Thong's advocate here. I wear thongs EVERY DAY because I find them more comfortable, and I challenge anyone to provide a cite that they promote UTIs or yeast infections or whatever. (I was plagued with both in my early 20s before I discovered thongs, BTW, but have rarely had them since.) They don't slide around if they fit and you don't tug on 'em. Nor do they have to show as a whale's tail if you get a low-rider style in a size that fits.

They don't have to be particularly sexy, either. Mine are plain cotton.

I'd recommend a) asking why your daughter wants them; then, if the answer satisfies you, b) getting her -- or giving her permission to get -- a single one (or two, in different sizes) to try. She might hate them, and it's not like you can try them on in the store first.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM
No. Absolutely no.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
The nasty thing about thongs... is that they constantly slide back and forth between anus and vagina... That could mean a lot of costly trips to the doctor, as that causes some urinary tract infections..
Nitpick: One's vagina is not involved, AFAIK, in urinary tract infections. I think you're thinking of vaginal yeast infections (candidiasis), which, while no barrel of monkeys, are usually solved with a $10-15 trip to the drugstore.

Which is beside the point that I don't believe thongs promote either UTIs or candidiasis.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately quite true. Spengler foresaw in 1918 that Western civilization would gradually degenerate into more primitive attitudes on sex in the next few centuries. Observe how the moral decency of the Roman Republic degenerated into the notorious hedonism of the later Principate.
By primitive, do you mean "less stick up your ass"?

Because for all the searching i do, i can't find a stick up mine, but it seems to me that there's a big giant one wedged up yours.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:07 PM
As the father to four daughters, my first instinct is "Good God, no!"

As a disinterested observer, my first instinct is "Meh."
Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaliminal View Post
Nitpick: One's vagina is not involved, AFAIK, in urinary tract infections. I think you're thinking of vaginal yeast infections (candidiasis), which, while no barrel of monkeys, are usually solved with a $10-15 trip to the drugstore.

Which is beside the point that I don't believe thongs promote either UTIs or candidiasis.

I guess I should have specified urethra for you. The gynecologist I worked for independently studied the connection between thongs and chronic UTIs and, while there is a dearth of published evidence out there linking the two, gynecologists all over have noticed an increase of UTIs in their patients that wear thongs. But hey, I'm all for wearing whatever you want. I don't see how having a piece of cloth jammed up between your buttcheeks could be comfortable, but to each their own.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
I don't see how having a piece of cloth jammed up between your buttcheeks could be comfortable, but to each their own.
Due to whatever quirk of my anatomy (I'm guessing my big butt and relatively small waist have something to do with it), ordinary undies always end up as a much much bigger piece of cloth jammed up between my buttcheeks, which then saws back and forth every time I move my legs. Thongs stay put. I realize that most women don't experience this problem.

FWIW, I am a Delicate Flower with very strong preferences in clothing -- I don't think I currently own any pants that aren't stretchy, for instance, and probably 80% of my tops have lycra too, including about a dozen stretch silk blouses I used to wear at the office. I may have some kind of mild sensory integration thing going on. I really, really care about comfy clothes, and thongs are required for me.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure thongs are even all that inherently sexy. I mean, a lot of teen girls wore day of the week undies, right? Or cute bras. I mean, yeah, when you're flashing a whale tail that is meant to be sexy. But if it's a piece of clothing that no one's going to see (unless they are in which case that's a whole different kettle of fish thong or no), I'm not sure if it's necessarily going to "sexualize her." I mean, life will sexualize her. I'm sure to some degree she already is sexual--and I don't mean sexually active, so much as we all are sexually beings, inherently.

A little off topic but I always hear people kvetching about how inappropriate kiddie fashion is and "Ah, raiding Lolita's closet!" (another pet peeve of mine--equating "sexy" teen fashion with the Nabakov novel). But most of the kids I notice on the street look pretty age appropriate to me. Where are these slutted up eight year olds that the media loves to decry? Do they really exist?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I've had a couple of girlfriends who have preferred thongs...as previously mentioned due to prevalent ass geometry of the given subjects.

mmm...ass geometry...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I switch back and forth between thongs and other varieties of underwear, but I tend to prefer thongs because they don't move around, slide down my hips/ass, and generally cause me to worry about the state of my undergarments. If I am working out, thongs are almost mandatory; I found out the hard way in the past that excessive running, jumping or other vigorous movements will cause the underwear to slide down my butt, even when wearing form-fitting shorts/pants. Then again, all of my clothes tend to slide either down away from my waist or up away from my hips due to the nature of my waist-to-hip configuration.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
I think Bob Dylan was right, 'Yours sons and your daughters are beyond your command...', especially by 14yrs, in the underwear department.

Seriously, is there anyway to stop her? She has access to money, one assumes, and can change clothes a thousand times, in the course of the day, if she so chooses.

You can be reticent, you can tell her you don't see why she'd want to, but in the end it's time to let her have some self expression. It will be as good an exercise for you, as for her.

This doesn't sound like a hill worth dying on, so I'd say, sure. Even though I would never wear the things myself. (Personally I don't find that area in need of flossing, is all.)
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Is she from Paris, France or Paris, Kentucky?

I am so glad our girls are raised...

Last edited by Chief Pedant; 04-17-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenstrahl View Post
Personally, the only kind of underwear I'd wear if my mother purchased it for me is the kind that comes in packs of six from Fruit of the Loom.

I think you're supposed to say no, she saves up her money and buys them to rebel, you shake your head, and she discovers they're uncomfortable anyway (because they are!).
This. It's not that wearing a thong is such a bad thing--my old officemate was pretty into them for the VPL thing without any sexy component. Your objection as a parent is what's important. It will make her feel worth being concerned about, even if she doesn't express that at the time. If she goes out and gets them anyway, no big deal. You caring about her = big deal.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 PM
FTR I wore thongs before 14 and I turned out fine.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm certain that it is a sign that I am hopelessly old fashioned and prudish, but I have a 14 year old daughter, and I would say no.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Are you always on?