Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Futon and heavy people

Hi there:

I will admit my wife and I are not the lightest people...about 500 lbs for both of us. Well we realize we needed a futon.

Any idea what type of futon would be best to get for us. Something we won't damage?

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Charter Member
I don't think 500 pounds will damage a metal framed futon. My friends had them in college and there was never any problem with 4 college kids sitting on them. If you're really worried they do make some that essentially sit right on the floor, they basically look like a thin mattress on the ground, but they fold up.

It should be noted that the last time I saw one of these was when I was about 8 years old so I might not be remembering it correctly.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM
nothing beats a futon on the floor for support.

if you want some height then the wood frames i've seen (few hundred $) are better than metal i've seen.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm no lightweight, but based on the various futons I've seen I don't think a regular futon is going to work all that well with 500 lbs on it. If you do find some extra heavy duty futon it's likely to be very expensive.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 PM
futon is a mattress traditionally (in Japan) used on the floor. you can get with various pounds of batting which makes them thicker/thinner. heavy people may like thicker.

variations in USA are a few like a foam core inside of batting (makes softer when used on floor) or springs inside and who knows what.

frames to give height or make into a convertible couch/bed are popular.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Go wooden frame, not metal. I had a heavier friend in college who owned a very nice metal-framed futon. Over time, the frame very gradually sagged downward in the middle until it had a little valley in it. It was impossible to repair without essentially destroying the whole thing. Wooden framed ones, on the other hand, can more easily be reinforced and repaired.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Definitely go for a wood frame, with no bendable aluminum parts hidden inside.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Thank you all to everyone who responded!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Am I the only person that read this as "Fusion and heavy people"?

Yes, yes I am, aren't I.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
Go wooden frame, not metal. I had a heavier friend in college who owned a very nice metal-framed futon. Over time, the frame very gradually sagged downward in the middle until it had a little valley in it. It was impossible to repair without essentially destroying the whole thing.
Yep. My dad weighed about 250 when he took to sleeping on a metal framed futon for a couple of years, and it too began to sag.