Old 01-21-2001, 02:22 AM
Charter Member
The wife and I saw "The Green Mile" on video last week. Great performance by Tom Hanks, he certainly could portray a guy suffering from a urinary tract infection. Saw "Cast Away" tonight, noted him pissing in the surf. The wife and I got to wondering: Does he piss in any other of his movies? We haven't seen a lot of them, we couldn't recall if he did in "Apollo 13" or not, maybe that scene of urine dumps in outer space was from "The Right Stuff". So were these two flicks a fluke, or is it a Tom Hanks tradition to make male micturition on screen more acceptable?
Old 01-21-2001, 02:29 AM
Charter Member
Well, in Forest Gump he told JFK, "I gotta pee!", whilst grabbing his crotch.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:31 AM
Well, there's one scene in A League of Their Own...
Old 01-21-2001, 02:32 AM
BANNED
He doesn't actuall pee in "The Money Pit," but he does commisserate with a statue of a uninating cherub.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:34 AM
Charter Member
Hmmmm......what does this mean? An actor with a history of spastic bladder? Urophilia? Addiction to the piss shiver? This guy bears watching!
Old 01-21-2001, 02:46 AM
He doesn't have a peeing scene in Sleepless in Seattle but there is a scene of him in the bathroom talking to his son.

In The 'burbs, he pretends to have to go to the bathroom to go exploring in his neighbors' house.

I think you may be onto something here...
Old 01-21-2001, 04:01 AM
What about Big? Wasn't there something in there?
Old 01-21-2001, 07:57 AM
I'd be willing to bet that he pisses in Turner and Hooch.

At what point does this become silly???
Old 01-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Charter Member
Yes, the urine being released into space scene was in Apollo 13, but I don't recall if the scene also included the previous release of the urine.

To be fair, though, a number of astronauts have commented on the impressive spectacle produced by such disposal of waste, and it is a real part of space missions.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:41 PM
Charter Member
I am now more curious than ever about what percentage of movies with tom hanks in it have references to males urinating, and how that ratio compares to similar statistics for other male stars. Perhaps it's a liberal hollywood media plot of some kind. Or some kind of therapeutic measure to help people overcome bashful bladder, the inability to void if someone's watching. Help me out here, dopers!
Old 01-21-2001, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Yes, the urine being released into space scene was in Apollo 13, but I don't recall if the scene also included the previous release of the urine.
Just watched this again yesterday, Chronos The scene shows him with the bag hooked up to his suit, then reconnecting the hose to the suit and making some jocular comment about urinating in space. The movie also includes a scene prior to this where Hanks attempts (badly) to answer a woman's question about how they go to the bathroom in space.
Old 01-21-2001, 05:43 PM
Joe Vs the Volcano was basically Tom Hanks pissing into the camera for an hour and a half.
Old 01-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Charter Member
OK, here's a move list, I think it's current. although I might have missed a recent film. Can anyone help me flesh this out?

0 Cast Away (2000) Tom Pissing
1 *Toy Story 2 (1999)
2 The Green Mile (1999) Tom Pissing
3 You've Got Mail (1998)
4 Saving Private Ryan (1998)
5 That Thing You Do!
6 Toy Story (1995)
7 Apollo 13 (1995) Urine dumps in space
8 Forrest Gump (1994) grabs groin, tells JFK he needs to pee
9 Sleepless in Seattle (1993) talks to son in the can
10 Philadelphia (1993)
11 League of Their Own, A (1992) Said to containpissing
12 Bonfire of the Vanities, The (1990)
13 Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)
14 Turner & Hooch (1989)
15 burbs, The (1989) pretends he has to pee
16 Big (1988)
17 Punchline (1988)
18 Dragnet (1987)
19 Every Time We Say Goodbye (1986)
20 Money Pit, The (1986) talks to pissing statue
21 Nothing in Common (1986)
22 Man with One Red Shoe, The (1985)
23 Volunteers (1985)
24 Bachelor Party (1984)
25 Splash (1984)
26 He Knows You're Alone (1980)
Old 01-21-2001, 06:18 PM
I seem to recall some comic bit in Big with Tom wriggling around like the little kid he was inside because he needed to pee. I don't remember the follow-through though.
Old 01-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by trose
I seem to recall some comic bit in Big with Tom wriggling around like the little kid he was inside because he needed to pee. I don't remember the follow-through though.
Thanks, trose, I'll add that to the list. Anybody else got any fills?
Old 01-21-2001, 10:22 PM
Could this be why Tom Hanks is thought of as the everyman, and is so popular? I mean, what other big actors do you actually see peeing in a large number of their movies? That's just a rhetorical question, by the way. I'm not asking for statistics.
Old 01-22-2001, 12:00 AM
Tom was definately involved in a pissing scene in "a league of their own". One of the girls on the team (played by madonna?) timed it.
Old 01-22-2001, 07:33 AM
He was peeing in Forrest Gump, they showed him in the bathroom zipping his fly.. then they showed the Marilyn Monroe picture.
Old 01-22-2001, 08:59 AM
People, have you no faith in the internet? This is the Information Superhighway, you know, not some Information Rutted Dirt Road Out Back By The Old Pickett Farm.

Try Patch's Pee Movie List:
Quote:
The Pee Movie List is intended to be the world's most comprehensive and thorough guide to urination in the cinema. All known movies containing a "pee scene" are listed.
Just a little something to bookmark for future reference...
Old 01-22-2001, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Now that's a Weird Earl. I dare ya, Tuba.
Old 01-22-2001, 09:14 AM
If Tom is notable among his (pee)ers, how come he's never starred in any adaptations of Steven King novels?

There's never been a King novel that I know of without one of the characters involuntarily peeing in his/her pants in fright. Maybe Tom Hanks has cleared the way for an honest screen portrayal of this phenomenon.
Old 01-22-2001, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackmannii
If Tom is notable among his (pee)ers, how come he's never starred in any adaptations of Steven King novels?
Actually, The Green Mile (mentioned in the OP) is an adaptation of a Steven King novel.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackmannii

There's never been a King novel that I know of without one of the characters involuntarily peeing in his/her pants in fright. Maybe Tom Hanks has cleared the way for an honest screen portrayal of this phenomenon.
CommonMan has done the easy part for me. But, this is GenQues, not some silly MPSIMS thread, so I feel the need to step up to the plate for factual accuracy.

Many, many, many of Stephen King's novels include no urination at all.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by sdimbert
But, this is GenQues, not some silly MPSIMS thread...
Barely. And I think it has been adequately answered.
Old 01-22-2001, 03:21 PM
In Philadelphia he was probably pissed that he got AIDS.
Old 01-22-2001, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by c_goat
In Philadelphia he was probably pissed that he got AIDS.
Good one, c_goat!
Old 01-22-2001, 07:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Nurlman
People, have you no faith in the internet? This is the Information Superhighway, you know, not some Information Rutted Dirt Road Out Back By The Old Pickett Farm.

Try Patch's Pee Movie List:
Quote:
The Pee Movie List is intended to be the world's most comprehensive and thorough guide to urination in the cinema. All known movies containing a "pee scene" are listed.
Just a little something to bookmark for future reference...
Many thanks, Nurlman! I will research this when I have time, and post a summary regarding Hanks and his propensity for pissing in his movies!
Old 01-23-2001, 08:50 AM
Charter Member
Two TV show notes...

On Bosom Buddies, did they ever have a scene where Hanks & Scolari went to the woman's room in drag?

Also, what was the title of the short lived show that starred Holland Taylor and Tea Leone? Hanks was in one episode where he used the men's room and came out with his fly stuck, Taylor was helping him fix it and Leone, who played a tabloid newspaper photographer, got a picture of it. Even in prime time, Hanks can't ignore the subject.