Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Talking to a cross-eyed person

In which eye should I be looking at when I talk to a cross-eyed person?

Thanks,

Spee
Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Look at the bridge of their nose.... and their left ear, simultaneously. Give as good as you get, I say.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 PM
One eye should be making eye contact with you. Go with that one.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
I'm blind in one eye and have been since birth. My right eye works, my left eye wandered until I had an operation at age 4 that essentially tied the muscles together (don't ask me how) so that the eyes track almost together. If you look closely at me, you can tell my right eye is looking at you and my left eye isn't quite. Conversely, I can tell when close to someone if they're looking in my right eye or my left. So I'd agree -- if you want to appear to be looking at the person, look at the eye that's looking back.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-14-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
if you want to appear to be looking at the person, look at the eye that's looking back.
Note: if you try this with an old-style Cylon, bring your cross-trainers.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Charter Member
I'm blind in one eye and have been since birth. My right eye works, my left eye wandered until I have an operation at age 4 that essentially tied the muscles together (don't ask me how) so that the eyes track almost together. If you look closely at me you could tell my right eye is looking at you and my left eye isn't quite. Conversely, I can tell when close to someone if they're looking in my right eye or my left. So I'd agree -- if you want to appear to be looking at the person look at the eye that's looking back.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Why wouldn't you look into both of their eyes, like you would with anyone else? Your eyes are normal, right?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Try to focus on our heads or faces, not our eyes specifically.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I'm blind in one eye and have been since birth. My right eye works, my left eye wandered until I have an operation at age 4 that essentially tied the muscles together (don't ask me how) so that the eyes track almost together. If you look closely at me you could tell my right eye is looking at you and my left eye isn't quite. Conversely, I can tell when close to someone if they're looking in my right eye or my left. So I'd agree -- if you want to appear to be looking at the person look at the eye that's looking back.
I had that same operations (or at least a similar one). How it works, for the sake of fighting ignorance (spoilered for the exceptionally squeamish):
SPOILER:
Your eyeball has a number of muscles which connect the eyeball itself to the bony structure of the eye socket. These are what allow you to move your eyes. What they do in this surgery is slice all the way through one or two of those muscles, and then reconnect it, thereby shortening it, thereby pulling the given eye in the desired direction. So if your left eye pointed out compared to the right, they most likely would've shortened some of the muscles on the interior side of the eye, to get it aligned properly.

Anyway, regarding the OP - just look them in the face if you absolutely can't tell which eye. Chance are they're aware it's an issue.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick View Post
I had that same operations (or at least a similar one). How it works, for the sake of fighting ignorance (spoilered for the exceptionally squeamish):
SPOILER:
Your eyeball has a number of muscles which connect the eyeball itself to the bony structure of the eye socket. These are what allow you to move your eyes. What they do in this surgery is slice all the way through one or two of those muscles, and then reconnect it, thereby shortening it, thereby pulling the given eye in the desired direction. So if your left eye pointed out compared to the right, they most likely would've shortened some of the muscles on the interior side of the eye, to get it aligned properly.

Anyway, regarding the OP - just look them in the face if you absolutely can't tell which eye. Chance are they're aware it's an issue.
I had this done too. Best part:
SPOILER:
waking up with a big long thread hanging out of my eye. The doc needed me awake to do the final suturing and adjustment. Nothing like watching a big-ass needle coming in and out of your eye, eh?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkiNipponTourist View Post
I had this done too. Best part:
SPOILER:
waking up with a big long thread hanging out of my eye. The doc needed me awake to do the final suturing and adjustment. Nothing like watching a big-ass needle coming in and out of your eye, eh?
Yikes! I'm glad I was spared that. Of course practice may have changed. My operation was 57 years ago.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spee View Post

Thanks,

Spee
Look at their tits. If they don't have nice tits then why are you talking to them?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Mecha View Post
Try to focus on our heads or faces, not our eyes specifically.
That's the real normal thing to do. Looking at people directly in the eyes is generally offputting after a bit.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
Look at their tits. If they don't have nice tits then why are you talking to them?
Win.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Slight Hijack.

With your partner or close friend try looking at the corner of their eye when you are talking to them, After a short while they really get freaked out and can't figure who has the problem you or them
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spee View Post

Thanks,

Spee
Had a friend with a minor Marty Feldman look. I always looked at the bridge of his nose.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Just remember: in the valley of the circles, the cross-eyed man is king.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
What if *they* are looking in different directions?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 AM
I generally try to focus on their eyelids/eyebrow area. This is one of those things you aren't aware of doing til somebody asks you what you "normally" do. I don't know which eye and/or both I usually look at when talking to somebody with non-crossed eyes. I only think about it when their eyes are crossed, and it distracts me to the point that I can't recall what my "default" is.

If one eye is definitely looking at me, I look at that eye. But sometimes I get flustered, and feel bad, which makes it all worse.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
BANNED
I knew a girl who had one normal eye and another eye that was out of balance for instance..

* OO * * OO*

Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
BANNED
Sorry, there is somne rule about editing posts, disregard the stars and O's above. What I was saying...................

I knew a girl who had one normal eye and another eye that hung right and up. Like her right eyeball would be straight ahead while her left eyeball looks like it was looking upward and away from what was in front of them.

Sitting across a table with her was interesting. She would look at you straight on in her mind, but her head was cocked to one side about 1/4th of an inch. It's humourous telling people about her because she is looking at you but appears to be looking over your shoulder. As far as I know, she never had a vision problem, just the placement of the eye was screwy.

No one was to talk about her eye. This really pissed her off. She was very self conscious about it and was probably made fun of as a child for it. Oh well, she was just cockeyed, I knew a poor girl in my University (where cockeyed and I went) who was blind and was pulled around campus by a beautiful golden retriever dog, whom the blind girl beat the shit out of on more than one occaison. Her I felt for.