Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Simply Sara (6805 Calorie macaroni salad woman)

Remember that 6,805 Calorie macaroni salad recipe?

Someone posted on one of the many pages about this mess that he'd heard 'Sara' had died and asked for verification.

So, did she die?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Were you looking up her macaroni salad recipe for tonight's dinner?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Ha!

Negative!

Actually, I don't know what prompted me to look it up.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Since there's nothing in Google, Google News, or Google News Archives, I'd have to assume that it's a baseless rumor.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
What's so bad about that macaroni salad, anyway? All macaroni salads are basically carbs coated in fats. Yeah, the total calorie count is pretty high, but I would hope that's not all one serving. Divide that up into 20 servings or so, and it'd be fine.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What's so bad about that macaroni salad, anyway? All macaroni salads are basically carbs coated in fats. Yeah, the total calorie count is pretty high, but I would hope that's not all one serving. Divide that up into 20 servings or so, and it'd be fine.
True, but I remember getting the impression it wasnt just some macaroni noodles with a light coating of "fat", her version looked to be more like noodles swimming in soup of mayonaise, sugar, and some other amazingly bad stuff.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Umm, when your pasta salad recipe starts out with an entire can of sweetened condensed milk and a cup of sugar and a cup of vinegar, you have problems.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
It would also contain less than two ounces of macaroni, assuming it doubles in weight after cooking. Not much of a serving, but still nearly 350 calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678
True, but I remember getting the impression it wasnt just some macaroni noodles with a light coating of "fat", her version looked to be more like noodles swimming in soup of mayonaise, sugar, and some other amazingly bad stuff.
A cup of sugar, a pint of mayo, and a can of sweetened condensed milk. The veggies and pasta account for 1710 of the 6805 calories. Not a very healthy ratio.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM
She's got about 3 times as much sauce as you'd expect, if not more, in that bowl. The noodles are swimming in it. She says that it's all going to soak in. Macaroni salad is junk food anyway, but sweetened condensed milk is like the most fattening substance on earth -- 1300 calories in that little can. I can't imagine who first thought to add it to macaroni salad (Micky Rooney salad if you're my father-in-law).

I propose that at any future dopefest, somebody bring this.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM
i just threw up a little bit in my mouth
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Just a little bit?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Normally, crazy high calorie foods get me licking my lips wishing I had a hyper-metabolism but that honestly just looks gross. The day old donuts in the break room look more appetizing.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Charter Member
It looks like my question is unanswerable, other than needscoffee's suggestion that it's just a rumour the guy heard.

As to the salad... I've made the occasional pasta salad, but not traditional macaroni salad. If I were to make macaroni salad, I'd use enough mayonnaise to coat the noodles and vegetables (and little cubes of cheddar cheese, because I like it when people put some cheddar cheese in their macaroni salad), but not more. I don't want it swimming in it. And the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and vinegar just sounds wrong.

'Simply Sara' has half a dozen other recipes, which I watched when the macaroni salad video was being talked about, and it seemed to me that she thought that 'more ingredients is better'. This is not my style of cooking.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
BANNED
I think what makes that Sara video so OMG over the top is a combination of several things. The woman obviously has problems with healthy eating/portion control. She starts with macaroni salad, not exactly a health food to start with. Then, she manages to make something unhealthy ungodly unhealthy. Then, she makes a shitload of it. Most recipes for a side dish don't make 20 servings. Note also that she doesnt even specify it makes many servings so its not hard to imagine her doolling out 1000 calorie servings rather than something like 300 calorie (but still unhealthy) servings.

About the only way this video could be more OMG worthy is if she said it served 4 or claimed it was actually healthy.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM
What drags me in and slays me though is how sweet her voice is, and how sincere she is about thinking this recipe is really "different." She honestly thinks of herself as a person with a talent for cooking which she wants to share with the world. When she adds the vinegar she gets this look like "and heeere's the secret! Isn't it clever?" It's just heartbreaking.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I like how winded she gets opening the bag of carrots at 3:20. But yeah, that's a disturbing video. She almost looks like a white Gabourey Sidibe.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
And the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and vinegar just sounds wrong.
I'll say. Doesn't the vinegar curdle the milk? Or is that--gak--the idea?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
When she adds the vinegar she gets this look like "and heeere's the secret! Isn't it clever?" It's just heartbreaking.
The real heartbreak there is that she's using white vinegar. White vinegar is a cleaning agent or a chemistry reagent, not a food ingredient.

And she could really use some herbs and spices beyond just salt and pepper, too. Where's the parsley, or the dill? Or maybe some radishes?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't think the dressing ingredients are so bad. Mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, and sugar are the standard coleslaw dressing ingredients (which I just made, coincidentally). The problem is that she uses so much dressing, it's practically soup!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm just having a bit of trouble reconciling the use of sweetened condensed milk in a savory dish, especially when a cup of sugar and a pint of mayo were already ingredients...
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM
BANNED
Doesn't sound any worse than Hawaiian Macaroni salad to me, personally. I don't think people are looking at it objectively from a culinary viewpoint, they just see her size. Personally seems like just a riff off of one of many versions of Mama's Hawaiian "Mac Sal". Probably find something similar at the best Hawaiian restaurants.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Well yeah, it's kind of hard to avoid taking her morbid obesity into consideration while watching her create a ridiculously unhealthy concoction that's certainly not going to do any favors for her. That said, it still doesn't look that good. If anything, I think the portion size and the fact that it's just swimming in dressing is what makes it look most unappetizing.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Charter Member
I eat Hawaiian macaroni-and-potato salad at least once every couple of months. It's not swimming in dressing, nor is it sweet.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 07-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM
BANNED
A portion of that is no worse than fetticini alfredo or some other pasta.
Yea, they do the same in Hawaii with Mac salad, it's wetter and they add milk and let the macaroni suck up the extra liquid. It tightens up after a while and the final product is really good.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I eat Hawaiian macaroni-and-potato salad at least once every couple of months. It's not swimming in dressing, nor is it sweet.

Hawaiian Mac salad is definitely sweeter than most...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
This recipe calls for half the sugar, but is about on par with the other ingredients, and it's 16 servings. Some reviews say that it's too sweet, some say it's sweet and tangy. It's all a matter of taste. Some people are more sensitive to sweetness than others.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
If anything, I think the portion size and the fact that it's just swimming in dressing is what makes it look most unappetizing.
Except the video doesn't say anything about the portion size. I think people are just extrapolating that the portions must be huge based on the size of the cook.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Except the video doesn't say anything about the portion size. I think people are just extrapolating that the portions must be huge based on the size of the cook.
Well yeah. I'm guessing she didn't get to that size eating a half cup of that macaroni salad.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I think he means HOW much she made total. And the fact that it totally fills the bowl doesnt help any.

I know if there is something that either doesnt appeal to me and/or seems really rich/filling, just the concept of a large quantity of it makes me do a mental urrrggggggg.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Hah! That's because it absorbed all the dressing, just like Sara promised!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Charter Member