Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Charter Member
Peanuts: What Kind of Bird Was Woodstock?

Yesterday, mudgirl saw a TV commercial featuring Snoopy and Woodstock. She said "Mom, I know Snoopy's a beagle; but what kind of bird is Woodstock supposed to be?"

I tried looking it up on Wiki, and while Wiki was helpful in informing us that originally, Woodstock was a female character (because (s)he was intended as Snoopy's 'secretary'), there was no note on what type of bird it was.

Any ideas? Clues? Suggestion?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM
FWIW the Peanuts Wiki (Not the Wikipedia one, this is the Wiki that concentrates on Entertainment) reports that:

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Woodstock
Quote:
Species

Snoopy has often wondered what type of bird Woodstock is. Snoopy attempts to identify him using his "Guide to Birds." The birds which Snoopy suggests and Woodstock attempts to imitate are: crow, American bittern, Caroline wren, rufous-sided towhee, yellow-billed cuckoo, Canada goose, warbler, and a mourning warbler. Snoopy finally gives up trying to figure it out, and hurts Woodstock's feelings by saying, "For all I know, you're a duck". Snoopy takes it back with a quick hug, at which point it becomes clear that it does not matter what type of bird Woodstock is; the only important fact is that he is Snoopy's best friend.

Schulz never definitively answered the question of what type of bird Woodstock was supposed to be.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Since Woodstock is yellow, I always thought he was an canary that had gotten loose.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
FWIW the Peanuts Wiki (Not the Wikipedia one, this is the Wiki that concentrates on Entertainment) reports that:

http://peanuts.wikia.com/wiki/Woodstock
Quote:
Species

Snoopy has often wondered what type of bird Woodstock is. Snoopy attempts to identify him using his "Guide to Birds." The birds which Snoopy suggests and Woodstock attempts to imitate are: crow, American bittern, Caroline wren, rufous-sided towhee, yellow-billed cuckoo, Canada goose, warbler, and a mourning warbler. Snoopy finally gives up trying to figure it out, and hurts Woodstock's feelings by saying, "For all I know, you're a duck". Snoopy takes it back with a quick hug, at which point it becomes clear that it does not matter what type of bird Woodstock is; the only important fact is that he is Snoopy's best friend.

Schulz never definitively answered the question of what type of bird Woodstock was supposed to be.
Wow. Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Since Woodstock is yellow, I always thought he was an canary that had gotten loose.
mudgirl thought he was too "fluffy" to be a canary; she thought maybe some weird kind of baby ostrich. (Yeah, she's quirky like that).
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I always though he was a Canary, like Big Bird and Tweetie Pie.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Charter Member
Woodstock always wanted to be an eagle and soar above the clouds majestically, but he washed out of eagle camp for getting too many beak-bleeds. It was quite sad!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member
Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?
He's also a dog. In fact, his original name was Dippy Dawg.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Charter Member
No, he's a dawg, not a dog.

The one that gets me is that Gadget Hackwrench (a mouse) is about the same size as Chip and Dale (chipmunks). Donald Duck has appeared in various comics with Chip and Dale, and is about a dozen times their height. And Mickey Mouse is about the same size as Donald.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

The one that gets me is that Gadget Hackwrench (a mouse) is about the same size as Chip and Dale (chipmunks). Donald Duck has appeared in various comics with Chip and Dale, and is about a dozen times their height. And Mickey Mouse is about the same size as Donald.
This is the kind of insanity we get when we try to analyze the classic 'toons too closely!

I am going to try hard to convince my mudgirl not to be so literal! (Often, I'll say something like "What am I going to do with you? I'll have to sell you on eBay!" and she'll furrow her brow and say "Really?" No, not really, you humorless geek-that-is-way-too-much-like-her-father!)
Sheesh.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew View Post
I tried looking it up on Wiki, and while Wiki was helpful in informing us that originally, Woodstock was a female character (because (s)he was intended as Snoopy's 'secretary'), there was no note on what type of bird it was.
Because we all know there are no male secretaries?

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-06-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Quote:
In the late 60s, when the character was introduced, pretty much no.

ETA: Secretary Bird

Last edited by running coach; 08-06-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Actually, there was, originally, a whole flock of "woodstocks" that hung around the doghouse, until the one with the most individual character emerged and the flock kind of faded away after. So unless a whole bunch of canaries got loose, Woodstock's probably not a canary.

Also, in the middle to later years of the strip, Snoopy was the leader of a "Bird Scout" troop, all of which looked like Woodstock.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
I always assumed he was "boid'.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
What kind of messed up radioactive canary is Big Bird?! One that spent too much down in the mine?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
What kind of messed up radioactive canary is Big Bird?! One that spent too much down in the mine?
Exactly, which is why he scared the crap out of me when I was a tiny child.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Quote:
I see someone's not seen Stand by Me.

(The Bangkok Post still runs Peanuts.)

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I always assumed he was a canary too.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Actually, there was, originally, a whole flock of "woodstocks" that hung around the doghouse, until the one with the most individual character emerged and the flock kind of faded away after. So unless a whole bunch of canaries got loose, Woodstock's probably not a canary.

Also, in the middle to later years of the strip, Snoopy was the leader of a "Bird Scout" troop, all of which looked like Woodstock.
The original flock of generic birds that hung around with Snoopy looked sort of like robins. Eventually Woodstock emerged as kind of a bird caricature of Snoopy himself.

Woodstock doesn't look much like any native North American bird. About the only species that would be so completely yellow is the Yellow Warbler, but he otherwise doesn't look anything like one.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
IIRC, and I know I do RC , Woodstock was introduced when a pair of those robin-like birds built a nest on Snoopy's bulgy little stomach as he was reposing on the roof of his doghouse. Snoopy tolerated this for a while, lying dutifully in place, and then had no choice when two tiny baby birds appeared -- each having Woodstock's familiar fuzzy head.

After a while, the chicks tried to learn how to fly but always returned to the nest. Snoopy got more and more annoyed and finally yanked the nest off his stomach. The two birdlets were forced to fly off, or so Snoopy thought. One returned, exhausted, to Snoopy's stomach.

This bird kept trying and failing to fly off (I believe Snoopy realized he was afraid of heights). Finally there was a strip where Snoopy says, "I finally found out the name of that stupid little bird who hangs out here--" Cue droll look to the "audience" -- "Woodstock."

The bird was a little taller and didn't develop Woodstock's shorter, fuzzier appearance for a couple of years, but that was related to the developing artwork of the strip. He's definitely the same dizzy little guy who tried and failed to leave the nest.

-- choie, who's been following Peanuts since her mom bought her the original Fawcett strip reprints in the late '60s/early '70s.

Last edited by choie; 08-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
The other bird all have gender specific names: Bill, Harriet, Olivier, Raymond, Fred, Roy and Conrad
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Quote:
I see someone's not seen Stand by Me.
So who would win in a fight? Superman or Mighty Mouse?

Last edited by cochrane; 08-06-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Stupid nested quotes
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member
Perhaps a Western Goldfinch? The males are very yellow in the summer. They're my state bird, but they do range down into California, including Sebastopol (the town Peanuts is set in). Schultz probably just didn't bother to do the black feathers.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
IIRC, and I know I do RC , Woodstock was introduced when a pair of those robin-like birds built a nest on Snoopy's bulgy little stomach as he was reposing on the roof of his doghouse. Snoopy tolerated this for a while, lying dutifully in place, and then had no choice when two tiny baby birds appeared -- each having Woodstock's familiar fuzzy head.

After a while, the chicks tried to learn how to fly but always returned to the nest. Snoopy got more and more annoyed and finally yanked the nest off his stomach. The two birdlets were forced to fly off, or so Snoopy thought. One returned, exhausted, to Snoopy's stomach.

This bird kept trying and failing to fly off (I believe Snoopy realized he was afraid of heights). Finally there was a strip where Snoopy says, "I finally found out the name of that stupid little bird who hangs out here--" Cue droll look to the "audience" -- "Woodstock."

The bird was a little taller and didn't develop Woodstock's shorter, fuzzier appearance for a couple of years, but that was related to the developing artwork of the strip. He's definitely the same dizzy little guy who tried and failed to leave the nest.
I don't know if that's the same bird, is it? In 1967, Snoopy met "a bird hippie" with long hair, who later became Woodstock.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
Perhaps a Western Goldfinch? The males are very yellow in the summer. They're my state bird, but they do range down into California, including Sebastopol (the town Peanuts is set in). Schultz probably just didn't bother to do the black feathers.
Whoa, when did we find out Peanuts takes place in Sebastopol?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I don't know if that's the same bird, is it? In 1967, Snoopy met "a bird hippie" with long hair, who later became Woodstock.
No, I don't think the 'bird hippie' became Woodstock. That was a one-off bird character.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
Whoa, when did we find out Peanuts takes place in Sebastopol?
It wasn't. For one thing, many Peanuts strips set during the winter feature snow--something you almost never see in Sebastopol, California. Actually, if you want to fix a specific location on where the strip is set, a more convincing argument can be made for Minnesota (which is where Schulz grew up).

Last FM Library Thing

Last edited by NDP; 08-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
And Mickey Mouse is about the same size as Donald.
Steroids. Note the high voice.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Charter Member
Found my copies of the relevant strip reprints. Frankly I'm shocked at how easily I was able to find the strips from my dozens of books, but that just shows you how strong the memories were.

Not a complete chronicle of Woodstock's intro, but the most significant strips are scanned below.

First, from either 1965 or '66, the origin (reprinted in 1972's What Now, Charlie Brown?):

#1 - Woodstock's birth

#2 - Snoopy forces the birds out

#3 - And then there was one

#4 - Woodstock still can't find his wings

#5 - Snoopy plays hero

The above was the last of this story arc. (Trivia note: the next strip began the amazing series of strips related to Lucy and Linus leaving town.)

Woodstock was named about two years later, in '67 (scanned from 1972 reprint book, It's All Yours, Snoopy):

#6 - Woodstock is yclept

Enjoy!

Last edited by choie; 08-06-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Thanks for scanning those, choie.

I don't get the joke in the name "Woodstock" though. I mean, I'm familiar with the Woodstock festival, but the strip appears before the event and it doesn't make sense as a reference to that, anyway.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Quote:
And Mickey Mouse is about the same size as Donald.
Steroids. Note the high voice.
It has to do with the time he and Minnie spent in that government lab. Best not to talk about it.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM
||| || ||||| ||| ||| || |||!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Woodstock was actually named in 1970 - here's the strip at comics.com, date and all. (If you zoom you can read the copyright date on the strip itself.)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Charter Member
Quoth BMalion:
Quote:
I always assumed he was "boid'.
No, boids exist exclusively in flocks.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Woodstock was actually named in 1970 - here's the strip at comics.com, date and all. (If you zoom you can read the copyright date on the strip itself.)
Crapples I'm a nimrod -- I knew it was June 22 '70! I even have that in the strip's description on my album. I was distracted by looking at too many reprint books.

The gag with Woodstock was probably that a) it's a weird name for a bird, and b) it was a seminal pop-culture event that had recently caused a stir. The Peanuts kids weren't very trend-oriented and I think Snoopy considered it a bit eye-rolly that the bird named himself Woodstock.

Of course the nestlings were really born nearly four years prior to the festival, but since time stood relatively still in Peanutsland, I guess it was possible for Woodstock to have been named Woodstock by his mom. (Or perhaps he named himself. Or maybe Woodstock's mom was originally from NY and the fact that it became famous later on was pure coincidence.)

And that's really as much fan-wanking as I should be doing for Schulz's winking reference.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quote:
No, I don't think the 'bird hippie' became Woodstock. That was a one-off bird character.
Hmmm ... there appears to be some difference of opinion about this. I have every Peanuts strip ever on my computer, so I'll begin looking.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Charter Member
Wasn't it a Beagle Scout Troop that Snoopy led?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
Indeed, which seems odd when you remember that the membership seems to consist entirely of birds.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Hmmm ... there appears to be some difference of opinion about this. I have every Peanuts strip ever on my computer, so I'll begin looking.
Pretty sure the bird hippie appears when Linus drags Snoopy (and either Sally or Peppermint Patty) on his Great Pumpkin vigil. One strip ends when there's an ominous rustle in the leaves and everyone's certain it's the Great Pumpkin; the next strip has Peppermint Patty (or Sally) pissed off with Linus for the false positive, and we only learn the truth when Snoopy comments that the commotion was just a bird hippie. The character might appear in one more follow-up but I don't think it shows up again.

Re: the Beagle Scout discrepency -- hey, it's not like Eagle Scouts are populated by birds!

Last edited by choie; 08-06-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, which seems odd when you remember that the membership seems to consist entirely of birds.
Quote:
Re: the Beagle Scout discrepency -- hey, it's not like Eagle Scouts are populated by birds!
They weren't just Scouts either. The Bangkok Post just ran the strips where Charlie Brown et al are at the beach -- some lake -- and Snoopy and his "pirate band" land on shore. They all wore eye patches, especially Conrad, who had a patch over both eyes. Linus wondereed what they were here to pillage for, and it seems it was for ice cream.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-06-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quote:
Pretty sure the bird hippie appears when Linus drags Snoopy (and either Sally or Peppermint Patty) on his Great Pumpkin vigil. One strip ends when there's an ominous rustle in the leaves and everyone's certain it's the Great Pumpkin; the next strip has Peppermint Patty (or Sally) pissed off with Linus for the false positive, and we only learn the truth when Snoopy comments that the commotion was just a bird hippie. The character might appear in one more follow-up but I don't think it shows up again.
He actually appears for the first time a few months before the 1967 Halloween strip, on July 12 and 13, 1967, when Snoopy sees him and thinks "Now I've seen everything ... a bird hippie!", then has a discussion with him on how nobody understands his generation.

The Fantagraphics people seem to think that's Woodstock too. If he was indeed on of the baby birds born on Snoopy's stomach -- which is a reasonable supposition, certainly -- my belief is that the "bird hippie" is indeed him, and that he went through a hippie phase and named himself Woodstock before cutting his hair and getting a job as Snoopy's secretary.

Last edited by chorpler; 08-06-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
They weren't just Scouts either. The Bangkok Post just ran the strips where Charlie Brown et al are at the beach -- some lake -- and Snoopy and his "pirate band" land on shore. They all wore eye patches, especially Conrad, who had a patch over both eyes. Linus wondereed what they were here to pillage for, and it seems it was for ice cream.
And occasionally they were French Foreign Legion soldiers from Beau Geste, defending Fort Zinderneuf.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Oddly enough, the Peanuts FAQ has this to say about when Woodstock first appeared:

Quote:
Woodstock -- 4/4/67 (Birds had been appearing in the strip for years, but that date marks the first bird with a strong resemblance to Woodstock. He was not named until 6/22/70)
Man, controversy abounds.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Okay, my Peanuts-fu is really strong today. I was able to find the strips with very little trouble!

I was wrong in that the bird hippie character is introduced in two mid-1967 strips, just with Snoopy, who expresses some snark at his appearance. The hippie makes what I think is his final appearance in the aforementioned Great Pumpkin strip (though it was just Linus & Snoopy sitting in wait, not Sally/Peppermint Patty).

The hatchling who can't fly, however, also appears in early and late 1967, and I don't think he's meant to be the same character as the bird hippie. But I gotta believe this hatchling is proto-Woodstock, whose lack of flying ability is canon.

Early 1967 reappearance of the hatchling/proto-Woodstock

Mid-1967 introduction of the bird hippie

(There's a strip in Autumn 1967 that shows the hatchling flying (badly) South for the winter. The poor thing starts heading North, naturally, before correcting himself.)

Halloween 1967 strips with the bird hippie as punchline.

The hippie doesn't appear in subsequent strips that year.

Edited to add: Blimey! chorpler was faster than I was. But believe it or not, I have to disagree with the Fantagraphics folks. Everything to me indicates that the 1965 or 66 hatchling who sucks at flying, who hangs out often with Snoopy, is the same little bird who turns into Woodstock.

Last edited by choie; 08-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Here's some lovely quotes by Schulz from the Charles M Schulz museum:

FIRST APPEARED APRIL 4, 1967 ? MENTIONED BY NAME JUNE 22, 1970
"Woodstock has been many birds. He appeared gradually as I discovered I was drawing this one little bird more and more. It seemed only natural to call him Woodstock. He's Snoopy's friend and confidant. He just worships Snoopy and would do anything for him, even type his letters for him." (1971)

"I named Woodstock, the bird, after the festival. Some people think he's a bat or a butterfly. That's Woodstock's problem. He doesn't know who he is. But I can do beautiful things with him - like the time he and Snoopy went camping, Woodstock makes a little pillow out of twigs and gazes up at a huge moon. Just then a flock of geese flies over. You know and he knows he'll never be able to do anything like that." (1972)

"Woodstock knows that he is very small and inconsequential indeed. It's a problem we all have. The universe boggles us. In the larger scheme, we suddenly realize, we amount to very little. It's frightening. Only a certain maturity will make us able to cope. The minute we abandon the quest for it we leave ourselves open to tragic results. Woodstock is a lighthearted expression of that idea." (1980)
—Charles M. Schulz

I'm going to propose Schulzus sparkinkia as the official name of our good friend Woodstock. Any taxonomists here are free to correct my on the fly try.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Quote:
Now I'm picturing Snoopy banging the doghouse and bellowing "WOODSTOCK!!" the way Ari bangs his desk and bellows "LLOYD!!" on Entourage.

Wikipedia also mentions the special She's A Good Skate, Charlie Brown, which contains what has to be Woodstock's finest moment. Background: There is or was this guy who can whistle opera (for real). He contacted Schulz/Melendez and offered his services, should they ever want to have Woodstock sing. "Interesting," they thought, and forgot about it until they were working on the above-named special. In it, Peppermint Patty is taking part in a figure-skating competition, and her music is the aria O mio babbino caro. Follow the link and see if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
BANNED
Quote:
And Woodstock is a burd.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Charter Member
Also notable about that Good Skate video: Is that the only time we hear an adult speaking coherently in a Charlie Brown cartoon?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
He can't be a dog -- he wears a hat and drives a car.