Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Canned mixed vegetables: What to do?

The supermarket where my aunt shops had a ridiculous sale on canned mixed veggies, so she stocked up. And stocked us up. There are currently twenty cans sitting on my kitchen table.

It was nice of her, but I don't think I've actually had this stuff since it was being served in my high school cafeteria. Any suggestions on what I can do with them, aside from just dumping them in a pot and adding salt and pepper?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Charter Member
A broomstick and a couple of canvas bags and you have adjustable weights for a home fitness routine.

I don't think you can do anything with canned veggies to make them edible.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 PM
You could make a casserole. I always use the frozen kind, but I imagine canned would work fine.

1 can Cream of Chicken
1 chicken breast, cubed and browned
1 can mixed vegetables, drained
Some milk to thin it out
Salt, pepper, and paprika to taste

Top with:
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 stick melted butter
1 cup milk
pinch of salt

(Or, some prepared Bisquick or similar)

Makes a pretty decent Chicken ala King.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Shepherd's Pie and the like is what first came to mind. Dump into a casserole, add meat and top with mashed potatoes.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I generally use fresh or frozen, but I'm sure canned vegetables would be fine in vegetable beef soup, or maybe to add to pot pie.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Cook up some some cubed up chuck roast in about 4 cups or so of V8 in your slow-cooker for about 5-6 hrs (season with some home-made onion soup mix), then add the canned veg in the last hour. If you have time, go ahead and brown the cubed chuck roast after dredging it in a little flour before putting it into the slow-cooker. That'll help thicken up the stew. You could even throw in some macaroni, egg noodles, or barley (check the cooking directions).
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
BANNED
Adda draind Can blended to hummus made with Canned Chickpeas.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 AM
BANNED
One canna mix veg, one bagga frozen mix veg, one pfund of cheap beef stewmeat, one small bottle of spicy V8, two cans of beef broth, salt, pepper, onion, garlic... let for beef veg soup three hours simmered.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Can't eat them, myself. Nor the frozen version. But my mother-in-law used to make a ring macaroni salad with them which wasn't too bad. She tossed it with a light oil, white vinegar, sugar dressing and some diced cucumber and onion.

It was, um, colorful.

The main thing for me would be to consider the veggies as coloring or relish and to get something crunchy in there so your teeth have something to do.

Perhaps you could do an egg foo yung type thing with some fresh bean sprouts, little pieces of broccoli and green onion tossed in and a chicken broth, soy sauce gravy?

Last edited by Tethered Kite; 08-20-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Creature of the Night
Add a can to soup or stew, along with some fresh vegetables. They aren't great, they have almost no flavor, but they won't kill you, either. They're handy to have in the pantry in case the power goes out and you have to cook over a wood fire. Use as the veggies for pot pies. Also, use a can of them, a can of tuna, and a can of cream of celery with some egg noodles for tuna noodle casserole.

Or donate almost all of them to a local food pantry.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Into large casserol dish dump 2 cans of the mixed vegetables, 1 lb ground hamburger, 2 cans sliced water chestnuts. Salt, pepper, stir. Pour 2 cups brown gravy over the top, top off with Frenches dried onions. Bake.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Charter Member
Donate them to your local food bank.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 AM
BANNED
Add them to a can of lima beans, and a can of sweet white pegcorn Green Giant, a couple of tablespoons of chopped jarred pimentos, a half a stick of butter, a teaspoon of sugar.

Succotash.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Mom uses it in tuna salad tostadas.

Tuna, mayo, lettuce, a can of well drained veg-all.
Serve on top of tostadas.

They are pretty good.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 AM
BANNED
saute in a pan with some olive oil, chopped onions and minced garlic.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Heat them up with some pre-cooked (leftover) chicken, turkey or beef. Thicken with some cornstarch, dump it in a casserole dish and lay rolled out biscuit dough on top. Bake at 350F until the biscuit topping is golden. Voila! Chicken, beef or turkey pie for supper.

Last edited by missred; 08-20-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyblue View Post
Donate them to your local food bank.
This. Although if they have any standards they won't take them.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
My kids like them straight out of the can, no heating. It's a treat.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:17 AM
As others noted beef (or other hearty flavor) based soups and stews are the best solution re eating as the veggies will add body. If you really aren't going to use them then donate them to a local food bank or shelter or canned food drive.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Give them to a food pantry.