Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
Tempurpedic mattresses?

I think we need a new mattress. We've only had this one five years, damn it! But it's the kind you can't flip (they were all like that when I bought it, and they had the nerve to call it a "feature") and the dip under my boyfriend has gotten quite bad. I know this because he said, "Hey, can we at least rotate it?" and I fell for it and now my back hurts all the time.

I got one of those memory foam mattress toppers to see if it would help (there was a nice one that had a huge discount on Amazon) and it's, I dunno, okay. I guess it helps, some. We can't go on like this for too much longer, though.

So I was looking idly at the Tempurpedic stuff. Consumer Reports says you either love it or hate it. A lot of online reviews do seem to suggest that some couples have the issue that the man loves it and the woman hates it, probably because the thing is designed for a person of a certain weight? And the women aren't heavy enough to get the supportive layers? Also, they're supposed to sleep hot, and the memory foam topper does indeed sleep hot.

But if it's good, I want it. There seem to be a lot of very satisfied customers. It's more expensive than the traditional mattresses, but good lord, we spend more time there than on any other piece of furniture. If it would help me get a good night's sleep without my back hurting, yes please. (Doubleplus good if it lasts longer than five years.)

They do have a 90 day guarantee, which is fantastic, but I don't think that extends to all the other stuff you probably need - I bet you need their sheets or at least their mattress pad? So there are surely some sunk costs even if we decide to send it back.

Also, it's freaking impossible to tell the differences between the models from their website.

So, experiences? Advice?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Creature of the Night
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
I hated it. It was murder on my back, to the point where I was having to go sleep on the couch, and I slept hot on it, except for my feet, which are always cold.

Be VERY careful about the guarantee. My husband was the one who decided that he was going to buy a new mattress, and there was indeed a 90 day guarantee...but it was only for exchanges, not for refunds. So when we exchanged our mattress, we had to eat a several hundred dollar loss.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,537
Is Tempurpedic just an expensive memory foam mattress, or is it something else? We got this mattress from Overstock.com a few months ago and LOVE it. We also got a 3" memory foam mattress topper to make the whole thing thicker, and so we could replace the top every few years. Might be another option.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,564
Pepper Mill hasn't actually slept on a Memory Foam mattress, but she hates them. She says she sinks in so far, and so form-fittingly, that she feels as if the mattress is trying to engulf and eat her.


You might want to go to a mattress store and try one out first.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Is Tempurpedic just an expensive memory foam mattress, or is it something else? We got this mattress from Overstock.com a few months ago and LOVE it. We also got a 3" memory foam mattress topper to make the whole thing thicker, and so we could replace the top every few years. Might be another option.
It's the "original" memory foam mattress. I refuse to even consider buying one because there's a graphic always contained in their ads that says, "Certified SPACE technology", and that's just too goofy for words.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 28,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I think we need a new mattress. We've only had this one five years, damn it!
What are you two doing that destroys a mattress in just 5 years?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 1999
Location: da UP, eh
Posts: 13,194
I tried out a Tempurpedic about 6-7 years ago and sent it back. I think we had to pay shipping one way, so we were out a little bit of money, but whatever we were out was outlined to us before we bought it so it was no big deal. We had no problems at all returning it.

I hated the thing because it's HARD. I like super soft mattresses, and Tempurpedic is absolutely not that. I felt like I was sleeping on a wooden box. Husband liked it slightly more than I did, but he still didn't want to keep it.

I was bummed, I'd heard such good things about them I was all ready to love it and I just couldn't. We slept on it for 2 or 3 weeks before returning it, so we gave it a good try. It's just not for us.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Smack in the middle of CA
Posts: 1,699
I adore mine. My in-laws have one in their spare room, so I'd slept on it before.

So when my old mattress was just too hard on my husband's back, we went and bought one of these. And at first, I hated it. Turns out there's sort of a break-in period, and the mattress is really hard for the first few weeks. It was definitely not as soft as either my in-laws' mattress or even my memory foam topper.

Now I love it; my back feels better than it has in years. They're not kidding about not feeling your partner move either, which is a huge bonus to those of us with different schedules. I don't feel engulfed by mine, but I don't sink all that far into it either. They do tell you to buy their mattress pad, as it's stretchy to accommodate the mattress' stretch.

But I've since seen that they've come out with a new model, which has a really soft layer on top. I suspect that feels more like my old topper did, and I sort of wish that we'd waited until that came out, because I still miss that top layer of sort. I don't find that it sleeps particularly hot.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I think we need a new mattress. We've only had this one five years, damn it!
What are you two doing that destroys a mattress in just 5 years?
Obviously not very much - it doesn't dip in the middle, it has two body-sized holes on either side.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 28,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

What are you two doing that destroys a mattress in just 5 years?
Obviously not very much - it doesn't dip in the middle, it has two body-sized holes on either side.
Well then, your kitchen must be a mess.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,171
My wife and I often sleep at a friend's house. They inherited a Tempurpedic and used it for the guest room. I had the same problem as Athena. It was like sleeping on a board for me. It occurred to me that they may have different varieties, some of which are harder, but I never really checked that out. I made my friend switch back to the other mattress.

There are other Memory foam mattresses which are purportedly softer, but they aren't usually sold with the money back guarantee. Don't buy anything you can't send back.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,232
I never slept on a Tempurpedic mattress, but I do have three 3" "memory foam" toppers on three of the beds in my house. The mattresses are all decent, and the toppers are like heaven on earth for my wife and I. Guest like them too.
The toppers are WAY cheaper than an actual Tempurpedic mattresses.

I got mine here.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
ems ems is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,051
We got one 2 years ago and love it. It does take some getting used to but I sleep better than I ever have and my husband wakes up without the aches and pains he used to.

Hidden costs - none. We got the CA King size so sheets can get spendy but we buy them from normal stores.

Love it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up hieah
Posts: 2,876
Things I know about visco-elastic memory foam (Tempur-Pedic is the most famous brand) and mattresses
  • Memory foam comes in different densities, usually described as weights in pounds from 3 to 7 or so. (You can get samples of some brands.) Generally but not absolutely, more weight means it feels harder when you first lie down on it, it holds up better over the years, and it costs more. You might like one particular memory foam a lot and hate others, even of the same brand or the same weight. Tempur-Pedic has a range of weights, by the way, so if you've tried one, you haven't tried them all.
  • Even the most expensive memory-foam mattresses, like Tempur-Pedic, only have a top layer of memory foam over a base layer of cheaper, non-memory stuff. The top layer is rarely more than 3" or 4" thick (though Tempur-Pedic's most expensive models have up to about 6.5"). I honestly don't believe you get more benefit from a whole Tempur-Pedic mattress than from just a separate topper -- provided the mattress you put the topper on isn't already misshapen.
  • The whole point of memory foam is that it gets softer with warmth and then springs back into shape; thus, your body's warmth helps it soften to mold around you very precisely. If you put a thick mattress pad, featherbed, or "pillow-top" on over it, you lose the conforming property and might as well be lying on (cheaper) non-memory foam.
  • Memory foam is a "closed cell" foam, meaning that the little bubbles that make it up are all encapsulated. Thus, air doesn't circulate through it as well as, say, cotton. Many people find this uncomfortable, as in too hot or too sweaty. I put cotton sheets on over it and find it plenty breathable for my taste.
  • Any foam or fiber non-spring mattress, whether a $7000 Tempur-Pedic or an $80 cotton futon, will help isolate movement between two people on the same mattress. A platform bed rather than a spring frame also helps. Air mattresses (like the Sleep Number ones) are worse than spring mattresses in this regard.
  • Mattress makers and sellers are NOT reliable sources of information about mattresses. Many of their claims are pure hokum, and you should trust your own powers of rational thinking. Beware of anyone who insists, for instance, that you MUST have a particular boxspring or foundation under a particular mattress for it to "work" as a "system". If you cut off the outer fabric, you'll see that even expensive boxsprings are basically... boxes. Many are even mostly cardboard.
  • No one mattress is right for everyone, and there's no formula to determine which kind is right for any one person. The one that's best for you, that's healthiest for your back etc., is the one you find most comfortable over time. Unfortunately this is hard to determine without sleeping a few nights on various choices.
  • The real value in an expensive mattress is a good warranty -- being able to return it if you don't find it comfortable in a few weeks, and being able to get your money back if it wears out in a few years. But I have yet to see a mattress warranty without several semi-devious loopholes -- read the fine print.
  • If you and your "sleep partner" don't agree on what constitutes a comfortable mattress, consider making a hybrid: Two extra-long twins side-by-side equal one king, dimensions-wise. You can get two base layer pieces of different densities, put a topper or pad on it, dress it up in sheets, and each get what you like in one mostly integrated whole. (If you find you have problems with the two halves sliding apart, for... any reason, you can put a rug grip underneath.)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 PM
BANNED
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
I have had a foam mattress for over 5 years. I love it. My wife said I quit snoring when we got it. I never heard me snore, so it could not be true.
But I like it. It also is not a good environment for the minute buggies that live in our regular mattresses.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 10,544
I love it.

I am fit and active, if that means anything. All spring mattresses feel like total crap since sleeping on a Tempurpedic. Even have Tempurpedic pillows.

Fiance loves it, too.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,133
I looooved it, and I have back problems that normal mattresses, whether firm or soft, greatly accentuate.

The Tempurpedic CA King with the firmest mattres is super soft on top, yet super firm (that 'on-a-box' feeling, but it works for my back) for support.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
I have a thick memory foam mattress topper (to counteract my chintzy mattress), and it retains heat like no other. I had to take it off this summer. Is this a problem with most/all memory foam? If so, that may be a consideration.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,022
We have Tempurpedic. They produce several different grades of firmness, so if you go shopping for a T-pedic, make sure you try out all the different grades they offer to see which one best suits you.

Apart from being comfortable, another great benefit is that it's much easier to avoid disturbing your partner if you get up during the night; movements on your side of the bed don't get transferred to the other side of the bed. They demonstrate this in the commercial with a glass of wine on one side of the bed, and a woman jumping up and down on the other side; the wine doesn't spill. It's the real deal.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Pepper Mill hasn't actually slept on a Memory Foam mattress, but she hates them. She says she sinks in so far, and so form-fittingly, that she feels as if the mattress is trying to engulf and eat her.


You might want to go to a mattress store and try one out first.
I have that trouble as well.

Imagine a 12 inch deep beanbag as a mattress ... schlorp. I have a friend who converted every bed in their house into tempurpedic, I had to go sleep on the sofa.

The bitch is, my german friend has some sort of funky foam mattress that is hard as a rock and *wonderful* to sleep on for me [there are 2 types of back injury people, those who need intensely soft beds and those who need to sleep on rock] and I would love to find his mattress in the US but every single foam mattress we have tried is squooshy =(
Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: I am Queens Boulevard
Posts: 14,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
The bitch is, my german friend has some sort of funky foam mattress that is hard as a rock and *wonderful* to sleep on for me [there are 2 types of back injury people, those who need intensely soft beds and those who need to sleep on rock] and I would love to find his mattress in the US but every single foam mattress we have tried is squooshy =(
All memory foam is squooshy, but not all foam is memory foam. I have a foam mattress from IKEA, Sultan Fonnes, which is only $229 for a Queen, and it isn't squooshy whatsoever. Just make sure you buy the "arched" supports (vs. the "flat" supports which are cheaper).

We weren't sure how long it would last but figured we could buy 5 of them for the price of a "traditional" mattress - - its going on its 4th year and is still very firm & comfy.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,628
I heart the word squooshy.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cyberspace.
Posts: 6,233
1. We love ours.
B. Sex is GREAT on it (well, our kind of sex...YMMV) There's not a lot of conservation of momentum rebound, but divots develop which give you leverage.
Charlie. They never ever ever ever negotiate, the price is the price is the price.....
IV. Until you look like you're gonna walk, then suddenly your a 'family member' and they knock 30% off.

Our $3200 MSRP mattress was $2500 delivered. It was the single biggest thing that fixed my wife's back...that may be cuz our last mattress was overdue for replacing, but ya never know.

Ours has the multiple layers which is suppsed to cut down on the heat reflection...it does that, mostly...when our A/C is working. Our A/C isn't working.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
So, there's one recommendation for the Overstock-style $400 fix. Any other experiences with the cheap knockoffs, one way or the other?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,211
Try it out first, and lay on it for like, 20 minutes. Really. Get something from a brick and mortar store so you can return it. Also, you want one that *hasn't* been sitting around for awhile, which I suspect is the case with Overstock.

My parents have one, and the guestroom at my house has a 3" thick one that my SO adores. Me, it's like a hotbox.

Check out ConsumerReports as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NW 'burbs of Chicago
Posts: 4,184
I got mine about three years ago and I love it. I had a cheap topper before that was much too warm in the summer, but do not have the problem with the bed. Even though it feels cold at first in the winter, I warm up quickly. My back is happier (herniated disk), my insomnia is better, and I don't toss and turn anymore. I even sleep better when I stay elsewhere because my body has broken the habit of tossing and turning.

LOVE IT!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Creature of the Night
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
Quote:
Try it out first, and lay on it for like, 20 minutes. Really. Get something from a brick and mortar store so you can return it. Also, you want one that *hasn't* been sitting around for awhile, which I suspect is the case with Overstock.
IME, nothing short of a night or two spent on the mattress will do. A mattress might feel wonderful for a couple of hours, but when I wake up, I find that my back hurts so bad that I can't straighten up.

I had a sleep study done, which entailed sleeping for a full night on the clinic's bed. I got the brand of mattress and what kind it was. And bought it. My back is much happier.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
Consumer Reports never has anything useful at all to say about mattresses, because they're subjective and marketed/branded deceptively.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I think we need a new mattress. We've only had this one five years, damn it! But it's the kind you can't flip (they were all like that when I bought it, and they had the nerve to call it a "feature") and the dip under my boyfriend has gotten quite bad. I know this because he said, "Hey, can we at least rotate it?" and I fell for it and now my back hurts all the time.

I got one of those memory foam mattress toppers to see if it would help (there was a nice one that had a huge discount on Amazon) and it's, I dunno, okay. I guess it helps, some. We can't go on like this for too much longer, though.
I could have written this word for word! I have had the exact same problem.

Can I add a question? I have been hearing that all foam mattresses will sag after X amount of time. The cheap knockoffs sooner that the Tempurpedic? Is this true? How long? Is it worth buying a knockoff for $500 and trying it for 3 years before spending 3000-5000 on a more expensive one that will last 15 years (if that is even possible)?

Also, why is it that some people say it is way to hard, and some say it is way to soft? Is there really that much variation in what you can get? How to tell the difference. I need a rock hard mattress that will never sag. I have even considered getting plywood and topping it with one of the 4 inch pads.

Last edited by dukette71; 08-25-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 200
One more question about the box spring: I have a bed with slats, so I didn't get a box spring for my current mattress. Then I started wondering if the un-dipped part in the middle was because the slats are supported with a beam in the middle of the bed, so there is more support here. Then I got some plywood to put on each side right above the slats (under the mattress)and it didn't make one bit of difference, so I assumed this isn't the problem. The sagging is bad on both sides (I am 120lbs, he is 210 lbs) and it seems about equal. Am i wrong about not needing a box spring?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukette71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I think we need a new mattress. We've only had this one five years, damn it! But it's the kind you can't flip (they were all like that when I bought it, and they had the nerve to call it a "feature") and the dip under my boyfriend has gotten quite bad. I know this because he said, "Hey, can we at least rotate it?" and I fell for it and now my back hurts all the time.

I got one of those memory foam mattress toppers to see if it would help (there was a nice one that had a huge discount on Amazon) and it's, I dunno, okay. I guess it helps, some. We can't go on like this for too much longer, though.
I could have written this word for word! I have had the exact same problem.

Can I add a question? I have been hearing that all foam mattresses will sag after X amount of time. The cheap knockoffs sooner that the Tempurpedic? Is this true? How long? Is it worth buying a knockoff for $500 and trying it for 3 years before spending 3000-5000 on a more expensive one that will last 15 years (if that is even possible)?

Also, why is it that some people say it is way to hard, and some say it is way to soft? Is there really that much variation in what you can get? How to tell the difference. I need a rock hard mattress that will never sag. I have even considered getting plywood and topping it with one of the 4 inch pads.
There are replicas that aren't "cheap knockoffs" in the realm of 1200-1600 bucks. My parents' mattress has been going strong for...5 years now, I think. They bought a memory foam mattress manufactured by a local company. They actually *did* return their first one, because it was far too soft.

I wouldn't buy a $500 memory foam mattress. But that's just me, YMMV. It's like my dish strainer/dish rack: I bought the #1 bestseller on Amazon, a Rubbermaid, for like $15 with the drain board 15 months ago. It bit the dust, rusting badly. So I bought a $26 one from simplehuman, which has a 5 year warranty. Even if the simplehuman one lasts for just 5 years, that's $5/year, as opposed to $15 for 15 months.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 631
We have a tempurpedic that we BOTH LOVE! After about 6 yrs or so, it's still going strong. We bought a "Bob-o-pedic" for our guest room at Bob's Furniture store, because it was less than 1/2 the price. It's really good. Probably not quite as good as the tempurpedic, but still much better than springy mattresses.

You absolutely have to go to the stores and try them before buying. As noted above they have various different ones. I agree with the poster who said that the pillowtop ruins the whole concept. We have the original (no pillowtop).

F
Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 59
Do you sleep hot? I give off lots of heat when I sleep and I think that is the reason our previous bed sagged. It was a regular spring mattress with some non-tempur memory foam on top of the springs and after 2-3 years my side of the bed had an indentation of my body. I think it was the knockoff memory foam getting compressed after years of heat and humidity. I can only guess it was the heat I weigh about 70 pounds less than my partner and only my side had the indentation, he doesn't give off nearly the same amount of heat as I do.
The tempur website says that their foam won't compress under high heat and humidity they should some impressive results on their website here
I bought a tempur mattress a few weeks ago and I love it, it doesn't sleep hot at all, it's cooler than my previous mattress and so comfortable, after the first night my partner said he had less back pain than the previous year.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 39,928
We like ours and have had it for about six years now. Recently, I was talking to a TempurPedic store owner and mentioned that the platform squeaked, and had been doing so for several years. Turns out, the early platforms had this problem. I contacted the company and within a week a new platform was delivered and installed. At no charge. If you're worried about comfort differences, you might want to look at a Sleep Number bed, which has adjustable firmness. But for us, this bed is great. An additional advantage is that it is a hostile environment for pests like dust mites.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaliminal View Post
Things I know about visco-elastic memory foam (Tempur-Pedic is the most famous brand) and mattresses
  • Memory foam comes in different densities, usually described as weights in pounds from 3 to 7 or so. (You can get samples of some brands.) Generally but not absolutely, more weight means it feels harder when you first lie down on it, it holds up better over the years, and it costs more. You might like one particular memory foam a lot and hate others, even of the same brand or the same weight. Tempur-Pedic has a range of weights, by the way, so if you've tried one, you haven't tried them all.
  • Even the most expensive memory-foam mattresses, like Tempur-Pedic, only have a top layer of memory foam over a base layer of cheaper, non-memory stuff. The top layer is rarely more than 3" or 4" thick (though Tempur-Pedic's most expensive models have up to about 6.5"). I honestly don't believe you get more benefit from a whole Tempur-Pedic mattress than from just a separate topper -- provided the mattress you put the topper on isn't already misshapen.
  • The whole point of memory foam is that it gets softer with warmth and then springs back into shape; thus, your body's warmth helps it soften to mold around you very precisely. If you put a thick mattress pad, featherbed, or "pillow-top" on over it, you lose the conforming property and might as well be lying on (cheaper) non-memory foam.
  • Memory foam is a "closed cell" foam, meaning that the little bubbles that make it up are all encapsulated. Thus, air doesn't circulate through it as well as, say, cotton. Many people find this uncomfortable, as in too hot or too sweaty. I put cotton sheets on over it and find it plenty breathable for my taste.
  • Any foam or fiber non-spring mattress, whether a $7000 Tempur-Pedic or an $80 cotton futon, will help isolate movement between two people on the same mattress. A platform bed rather than a spring frame also helps. Air mattresses (like the Sleep Number ones) are worse than spring mattresses in this regard.
  • Mattress makers and sellers are NOT reliable sources of information about mattresses. Many of their claims are pure hokum, and you should trust your own powers of rational thinking. Beware of anyone who insists, for instance, that you MUST have a particular boxspring or foundation under a particular mattress for it to "work" as a "system". If you cut off the outer fabric, you'll see that even expensive boxsprings are basically... boxes. Many are even mostly cardboard.
  • No one mattress is right for everyone, and there's no formula to determine which kind is right for any one person. The one that's best for you, that's healthiest for your back etc., is the one you find most comfortable over time. Unfortunately this is hard to determine without sleeping a few nights on various choices.
  • The real value in an expensive mattress is a good warranty -- being able to return it if you don't find it comfortable in a few weeks, and being able to get your money back if it wears out in a few years. But I have yet to see a mattress warranty without several semi-devious loopholes -- read the fine print.
  • If you and your "sleep partner" don't agree on what constitutes a comfortable mattress, consider making a hybrid: Two extra-long twins side-by-side equal one king, dimensions-wise. You can get two base layer pieces of different densities, put a topper or pad on it, dress it up in sheets, and each get what you like in one mostly integrated whole. (If you find you have problems with the two halves sliding apart, for... any reason, you can put a rug grip underneath.)
Just wanted to say what a great and informative post.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 39,328
I got a 3" memory foam topper from Overstock and I love it! Our mattress is maybe 12 years old and I was feeling the wires under the padding, regardless of flipping and turning it. Plus it just wasn't comfortable. The topper gives me just the right bit of cushion and I find I'm sleeping lots better (except when the cat walks on me, but that doesn't count.)

I put a quilted mattress pad between the topper and my sheets, so I don't experience the sinking in or the heat that many talk about. We also have a 2" topper cut to fit the berth in our boat, since the foam bunk cushions were less than restful. It makes a big difference.

I'm a fan. So is my daughter. My husband, not so much, but he's had 4 back surgeries, so I don't know that any bed will meet with his approval.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 39,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukette71 View Post
One more question about the box spring: I have a bed with slats, so I didn't get a box spring for my current mattress. Then I started wondering if the un-dipped part in the middle was because the slats are supported with a beam in the middle of the bed, so there is more support here. Then I got some plywood to put on each side right above the slats (under the mattress)and it didn't make one bit of difference, so I assumed this isn't the problem. The sagging is bad on both sides (I am 120lbs, he is 210 lbs) and it seems about equal. Am i wrong about not needing a box spring?
TempurPedic mattresses require a platform. If you don't purchase the platform from TempurPedic, it voids the mattress warranty.
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: thumb pulse ohio larp gunshots noise q5 ghostbusters italian for silver hastings searcy arkansas trisha toyota slipping a mickey cvt transmission maintenance handicap bathroom stall dons pills install stainless steel backsplash wasteland 2 rose or vulture's cry very young looking porn stars saving private ryan hand shaking clean your clock meaning does pine sol have ammonia in it how to combine shipping h&r block pay scale do you need a return address does wolf urine keep coyotes away